BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

02-04-2014, 09:21 AM   #23
M3 Esq
Automobilist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5, 911 GT3

I have the MPE and it seems to fit what you are looking for. It's very quiet at low RPMs but it really comes alive at high RPM with no drone.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 09:26 AM   #24
325rider
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 e90 M3 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Speed_Motorsports View Post
I would say Eisenmann Sport or M performance exhaust. Let me know if you are interested in either setup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfinwolfsclothing View Post
M performance exhaust seems to fit or dinan exhaust.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefile View Post
Thanks, all. Leaning toward Corsa. I would like to do a cat delete, but I really don't want to add to my cold start drama any more than necessary.
IMHO cat delete is NECCESSARY if you care THIS much about sound as you are making apparent. Trust us.

1) Eisenmann Sport and Dinan will be your two mufflers of choice with test pipes. Will remain quiet and when you get the tuning for Check Engine Light delete and extra power, you can opt in to remove the cold start and the car will idle normally.*

2) 100% Buy some test pipes. $400 and you won't regret it.

3) Stay away from M Performance Exhaust as it sounds like chit with test pipes

Good luck man, take your time and get what fits your needs. MY vote is test pipes and a quiet muffler (Dinan, Eis. Sport)

Check out my YouTube Fitness Channel if your into that
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoz...XQVuG0se8cTpUQ
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 09:30 AM   #25
Porschefile
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

The cat delete will happen eventually, but not until I can get it AND a tune. Corsa sounds like the exhaust for me (because I'm not a dinan fan and I plan on TPs in the future).
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 09:34 AM   #26
Porschefile
Major
Rep

How much louder is the corsa at idle than stock?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 09:35 AM   #27
325rider
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The cat delete will happen eventually, but not until I can get it AND a tune. Corsa sounds like the exhaust for me (because I'm not a dinan fan and I plan on TPs in the future).
I have heard the Dinan stuff in person. I have never owned anything Dinan but the mid pipe and exhaust for the S65 motor are A+ in sound and quality, no joke. I will probably switch to Dinan next

I got AE performance mufflers put on my car and the day I left the shop I ordered test pipes. I did NOT get that aural experience I got from me e46 with cams and headers. I HATED how even with the mufflers the car stopped getting "louder" at 4k rpm and I just heard the intake. I wanted a screamer. Fast forward a couple weeks when I got the test pipes on. The first WOT pull and drive home was the most fun I had ever had in a car, and she was pulling much harder and sounding like a little devil. I to this day do not have a tune and have been to the dealer for oil changes etc etc…. Not mad. WIll get BPM tune when I have the thousand dollars ASAP

good luck my dude, but test pipes are the only answer.

Look into test pipes with oem exhaust for now. Instead of buying a muffler you could have test pipes and a tune for < $1,500

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 09:42 AM   #28
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

Quote:
no big deal to run no cats w/out a tune. Just the CEL pops up..

Mine has actually gone off this past week. Weird. No cel, no cats
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 09:48 AM   #29
SflBimmer8484
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
I am trying to find an exhaust that won't bother my neighbors but will sound great WOT and at high revs. I had the AA, and liked it a lot other than it being pretty loud with cold start and having a considerable amount of drone. I got noise complaints for the cold start AA.

Any exhausts y'all know of that are (relatively) quiet at low revs and scream up top?

I'd prefer to stay pretty low price, so no akra or valve exhausts.
Best bet would be to turn off the cold start via software. Most large diameter exhausts will have loud cold start issues.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 09:48 AM   #30
Porschefile
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by s85e90 View Post
no big deal to run no cats w/out a tune. Just the CEL pops up..

Mine has actually gone off this past week. Weird. No cel, no cats
I also don't want the loud cold start combined with the increased sound of TPs. My neighbors are wimps.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 10:02 AM   #31
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

Quote:
I also don't want the loud cold start combined with the increased sound of TPs. My neighbors are wimps.
maybe it's not the neighbors but you for thinking that jk/

but if you reallly looking to get some good noise upstairs, you gotta delete the cats. If you turn off the cold start it would help tremendously. My car is pretty quiet idling when warm, but is a little obnoxious cold. Its the price you pay
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 10:31 AM   #32
325rider
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by s85e90 View Post
maybe it's not the neighbors but you for thinking that jk/

but if you reallly looking to get some good noise upstairs, you gotta delete the cats. If you turn off the cold start it would help tremendously. My car is pretty quiet idling when warm, but is a little obnoxious cold. Its the price you pay
Yep. I have Test Pipes and mufflers and the cold start doesn't bother me. It is loud as teets in my garage though. I CANT WAIT to get a resonated x pipe and have 0 cats. Free sMeELLSSSSSS

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 11:03 AM   #33
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Look if you know you are going to go with TP's, I recommend doing that first. That way you'll get an idea if it's too much or not, and you can decide what muffler to go with next.

In my case, I went with ACM mod first, then TP and it ended up being unbearable. I think TP + Corsa will sound great if that's the way you want to go.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 11:36 AM   #34
M3-S65
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Look if you know you are going to go with TP's, I recommend doing that first. That way you'll get an idea if it's too much or not, and you can decide what muffler to go with next.

In my case, I went with ACM mod first, then TP and it ended up being unbearable. I think TP + Corsa will sound great if that's the way you want to go.
Won't deleting the cats throw codes and/or create a great excuse for BMW to void your warranty, when you really need it..like say a bearing blow out? I know you can get the codes programed out but BMW would still know...
However, there are no sensors after the X pipe, you wont be doing any cat delete with an axel back, so no potential for voided warranty. I agree the sound is less but you also don't have to get out the jigsaw, just bolt on...so its easier too. Just sayin...I would start axel back then move up..

Last edited by M3-S65; 02-04-2014 at 11:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 11:42 AM   #35
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-S65 View Post
Won't deleting the cats throw codes and/or create a great excuse for BMW to void your warranty, when you really need it..like say a bearing blow out...
No sensors after the X pipe, no cat delete with axel back, so axel back is safer yet I agree the sound is less. You also don't have to get out the jigsaw, just bolt on. Just sayin...
OP said that he's going cat delete + tune eventually anyway. My point is, if that's 100% the route you are going to take, might as well do that first before muffler. As I said, was completely happy with ACM mod, added test pipes and was instantly int he market for a new muffler. 2 different mufflers later, I'm finally happy. Would have saved myself quite a bit of $$ if I went TP first.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 12:04 PM   #36
Billj747
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Everything

+1 for test pipes, oem muffler, and tune. Should be the sound your looking for and an extra 40hp+ does not hurt either.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 10:15 PM   #37
Xcelrrate
Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 ///M3

Garage List
2008 BMW E90 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post

IMO, deleting the cold start and modding the OEM exhaust is the best way to achieve a quieter startup and more top end volume besides going with an exhaust with a remote valve like the IPE.
Hey guys... haven't been on the forums for ages.. but surprised not much talk on the OEM Exhaust mod...

But for the bang for the buck.. OEM Mod FTW... then i got bored and had my resonators deleted as well...

here's a n idea....

Sure, the video does't do just justice... but gives you a great idea..

This video is OEM Mod only!!

'08 Jerez Black E90 ///M3
Pics of my Ride

Last edited by Xcelrrate; 02-05-2014 at 11:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 10:19 PM   #38
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Removing the cats will give it a rougher sound, not as "tuned" and "smooth". A high-flow cat will have minimal change on the exhaust tone but outflow the stock by a good margin. Just something to consider.
      02-06-2014, 12:13 AM   #39
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelrrate View Post
Hey guys... haven't been on the forums for ages.. but surprised not much talk on the OEM Exhaust mod...

But for the bang for the buck.. OEM Mod FTW... then i got bored and had my resonators deleted as well...
]
i got that same setup( OEM MOD RES delete). all my friends say the car is loud and sounds great from the road. but i feel like its not loud enough. maybe the M3s have good sound insulation or somthing.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 09:06 AM   #40
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschefile
I had the Corsa before my MPE and totally loved it(except it could've look better), I only replaced it because it was too loud for the cops after I installed test pipes(was'nt that loud, they just like to make money on people with after market exhaust) so I bought the MPE which is OEM!

The thing with the Corsa is while it's sounds superb, it kind of shuts up past ~5000RPM while the MPE makes the opposite, it screams more and more the higher you go in the RPM, it's more rewarding to rev the engine which I like a lot! Knowing what you want, IMO it's really the MPE you should get, I know it's more expensive, but at least it looks 10000x better, it has a good weight reduction and an exellent resale value, you should'nt be disapointed!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 07:11 PM   #41
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
i got that same setup( OEM MOD RES delete). all my friends say the car is loud and sounds great from the road. but i feel like its not loud enough. maybe the M3s have good sound insulation or somthing.
I think that setup sounds pretty awesome, I've heard similar setups in person. A little rougher and meaner but still has that scream at high RPM.

Still pretty quiet in the car too!
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 08:00 PM   #42
momo3605
Major
Rep
Drives: M340i LCI, 718 GTS 4.0

Quote:
I know you said you're planning to go with Corsa, but I am just going to +5 on the Dinan. It sounds so much better in person than in videos. It's also probably one of the least raspy exhausts. I first had it without TPs and then added TPs later. Without TPs it was very smooth. Especially accelerating at 50% throttle. It sounds like you're in an italian car. Less throttle sounds like stock and high rpms sounds a little louder than stock. But I think like everyone has said, the cats are limiting your high rpm sound. After removing the cats, the car screams at WOT and with blip-shifts on the DCT. Everyone who has ridden with me gets out of the car in a daze. It's really quite awesome. Good luck with whatever you choose though!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2014, 09:58 PM   #43
comment bot
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65B40 M3 - soon to be F80 M3

OEM mod is my vote
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 01:37 AM   #44
MTrezzz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lime Rock Edition

Eisenmann Sport = To stock
add test pipes or x-pipe later depending on your interest.
Great set up, i personally had the race version but I've heard the sport and its pretty civil and reminded me of when i had my MPE. very quite.
M Performance exhaust, Eisenmann Sport, Akarpovic, ESS, tubi, borla will all fit the bill

I would hear them in person if i were you
Appreciate 0