BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

02-25-2017, 02:48 PM   #1
spr
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3; e92 ESS650+ M3

Dct clutch slip with Ess 650 kit

I'm definitely getting slip in gears 1-3 on my dct with 100k on it. Anyone in San Diego other than the dealer that can reset my clutches? I'm told this may help. Thanks!!
      02-26-2017, 09:55 AM   #2
Weyne Masters
Lieutenant
Brazil
Rep
Drives: M3 LIME ROCK VT2-625

It's time to upgraded to DODSON clutchs
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 10:04 AM   #3
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spr
I'm definitely getting slip in gears 1-3 on my dct with 100k on it. Anyone in San Diego other than the dealer that can reset my clutches? I'm told this may help. Thanks!!
Look at the SSP clutch upgrades. I've installed their product in an F13 M6 28th 760 ftlbs of torque with no slip.
      02-27-2017, 03:36 PM   #4
spr
Major
Rep

Yeah hoping to try and adjust them first but dct has 100k on it and 60k was my gas tuned driving. Anyone know someone in sd other than dealer to try the adjust and see? Possible it is a fluid issue?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 10:01 AM   #5
Patrón
PAZUZU
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spr View Post
can you tell me what you mean by slip?

if you are accellerating hard and you shift, you notice the slip OR

are you in auto mod and when you press the gas aggressively the slip occurs then?

the reason i ask is, I believe the worse thing an owner can do to the dct is
1)hold the left paddle and floor it for optimum gear choice
2)in auto mode, floor the gas at cruising speed and let the trans choose the gear.

that massive clutch slips is what I believe is the culprit to my methronics failure (I have another theory but don't have evidence for for).

if you've done 1) or 2) often with the 650 you've burned your clutches or have overheated the metronics system and damaged it. it will not get better with re-adapting the clutches. ask me how i konw.

2009 M3 DCT ESS625+ SOLD
2015 M4 BSM/Silverstone F4LCON
@texasMclub IG @jagemoets
Appreciate 1
R_lara80.00
      02-28-2017, 10:08 AM   #6
spr
Major
Rep

No. I have no such issue. I never drive it in auto mode, it's too pathetic. I only use that in traffic.

First gear is full slip to read line and looking back there are no tire marks indicating clutch slip. When changing to second it sits at redline still despite peddling throttle and I have to leat off significantly to engage. This did not happen before. First gear would have wheel spin but a decent shift and second gear would have wheel spin at about 7k on.

Once it's dry I'll try it worth out traction control as I've been driving it with euro MDM per the prior owners suggestion.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 10:43 AM   #7
Patrón
PAZUZU
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
First gear is full slip to read line and looking back there are no tire marks indicating clutch slip. When changing to second it sits at redline still despite peddling throttle and I have to leat off significantly to engage. This did not happen before. First gear would have wheel spin but a decent shift and second gear would have wheel spin at about 7k on.

Once it's dry I'll try it worth out traction control as I've been driving it with euro MDM per the prior owners suggestion.
sounds to me the main clutch, not the dct clutches. I think if hard shifts in 1st and 2nd are resulting in the dct clutches slipping that much you would have triggered a yellow dct light or a red dct light. hopefully someone chimes in to address that idea.

trust me, it's better to have a main clutch problem than a dct clutches problem.

I still love my dct.

2009 M3 DCT ESS625+ SOLD
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 12:12 PM   #8
spr
Major
Rep

What do you mean main clutch? I though the dct just has the separate clutches no main on elite a regular manual or smg.

QUOTE=Patrón;21344390]sounds to me the main clutch, not the dct clutches. I think if hard shifts in 1st and 2nd are resulting in the dct clutches slipping that much you would have triggered a yellow dct light or a red dct light. hopefully someone chimes in to address that idea.

trust me, it's better to have a main clutch problem than a dct clutches problem.

I still love my dct.[/QUOTE]
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 12:24 PM   #9
Patrón
PAZUZU
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
What do you mean main clutch? I though the dct just has the separate clutches no main on elite a regular manual or smg.

QUOTE=Patrón;21344390]sounds to me the main clutch, not the dct clutches. I think if hard shifts in 1st and 2nd are resulting in the dct clutches slipping that much you would have triggered a yellow dct light or a red dct light. hopefully someone chimes in to address that idea.

I still love my dct.
There is a clutch that is used for both the 6sp & 7sp (it's the same clutch).

the dct has clutch packs in the dct system. the above is seperate and different.

2009 M3 DCT ESS625+ SOLD
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 07:34 PM   #10
spr
Major
Rep

You must be thinking of an SMG DCT has no main clutch like a manual transmission. They're all internal clutches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrón View Post

the dct has clutch packs in the dct system. the above is seperate and different.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 07:57 PM   #11
e90///M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Quote:
can you tell me what you mean by slip?

if you are accellerating hard and you shift, you notice the slip OR

are you in auto mod and when you press the gas aggressively the slip occurs then?

the reason i ask is, I believe the worse thing an owner can do to the dct is
1)hold the left paddle and floor it for optimum gear choice
2)in auto mode, floor the gas at cruising speed and let the trans choose the gear.

that massive clutch slips is what I believe is the culprit to my methronics failure (I have another theory but don't have evidence for for).

if you've done 1) or 2) often with the 650 you've burned your clutches or have overheated the metronics system and damaged it. it will not get better with re-adapting the clutches. ask me how i konw.
Why would kick down feature be the worst for your dct? I can see why flooring it on a softer shift setting can heat up tranny but I assume many dct owners drive in auto also.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 08:08 PM   #12
Cbozz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
Quote:

hold on, why is flooring it and downshifting for optimal gear choice so bad for DCT? isn't that its function?
      02-28-2017, 09:01 PM   #13
Patrón
PAZUZU
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90///M3 View Post
Why would kick down feature be the worst for your dct? I can see why flooring it on a softer shift setting can heat up tranny but I assume many dct owners drive in auto also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbozz View Post
hold on, why is flooring it and downshifting for optimal gear choice so bad for DCT? isn't that its function?
The computer slips the clutches to rev match and find the right gear, I believe the supercharged cars slip too much during this process and it heats the clutches excessively. Non boosted cars, go ahead but I think it's the worst way to downshift. You should know what gear to drop down to, do it manually. Just my opinion.

2009 M3 DCT ESS625+ SOLD
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 02:39 PM   #14
SSPKris
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR

Quote:
If you want to have fun with your DCT, do not floor the car in "normal" driving mode if you have added modifications. The DCT cannot rev match fast enough and your clutch will burn up. If you want to prolong your clutch life, you will need to set your center console switch on its max setting first to achieve higher line pressures for the clutch. Your center console switch is the key to longevity for your clutch. The switch is designed to give almost 2 bar more line pressure under full throttle pulls.

SSP
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 09:42 PM   #15
Cbozz
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSPKris View Post
If you want to have fun with your DCT, do not floor the car in "normal" driving mode if you have added modifications. The DCT cannot rev match fast enough and your clutch will burn up. If you want to prolong your clutch life, you will need to set your center console switch on its max setting first to achieve higher line pressures for the clutch. Your center console switch is the key to longevity for your clutch. The switch is designed to give almost 2 bar more line pressure under full throttle pulls.

SSP
ok, that makes sense!

so there is nothing wrong with being in S5 manual mode and M mode and downshifting from 5th gear while flooring and having DCT send you to 2nd or 3rd gear...
      03-01-2017, 10:17 PM   #16
spr
Major
Rep

Where did that weird thread stating that the dct runs a regular manual clutch? Is this real or not? Why would it be an issue as previously advised??

This is the prior post that was apparently deleted:

---Quote (Originally by spr)---
You must be thinking of an SMG DCT has no main clutch like a manual transmission. They're all internal clutches.
---End Quote---
I don't think so. Same clutch for both transmission types.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...&q=21212284034

But I've been wrong before.

The dct clutches (two different group sizes) are to change the gears on the two main gear shafts. The group of clutches go into baskets, one large, one small. They have zero contact with the flywheel.
      03-02-2017, 10:08 AM   #17
Patrón
PAZUZU
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Where did that weird thread stating that the dct runs a regular manual clutch? Is this real or not? Why would it be an issue as previously advised??

This is the prior post that was apparently deleted:

---Quote (Originally by spr)---
---End Quote---
I don't think so. Same clutch for both transmission types.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par... the flywheel.

gId=21_0240&q=21212284034

I deleted that post, I fucked up and confused it w flywheel. The main point is to not let the computer do the multigear downshift. Do it yourself with the paddles or the shifter. The rev match burns the clutches.

2009 M3 DCT ESS625+ SOLD
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 03:23 PM   #18
SSPKris
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
ok, that makes sense!

so there is nothing wrong with being in S5 manual mode and M mode and downshifting from 5th gear while flooring and having DCT send you to 2nd or 3rd gear...
I would never suggest this to any of my customers. Anytime you down shift that fast the car is going to slip the clutch to rev match. If you want to do highway pulls, have the setting on 3, be in manual mode, let the car ease into gear, and then floor it. This procedure will allow the clutch to come up to full pressure and limit any slipping that can occur.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 11:26 AM   #19
Cbozz
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I would never suggest this to any of my customers. Anytime you down shift that fast the car is going to slip the clutch to rev match. If you want to do highway pulls, have the setting on 3, be in manual mode, let the car ease into gear, and then floor it. This procedure will allow the clutch to come up to full pressure and limit any slipping that can occur.
Thanks for the tip! All in all downshifting with rev matching blimp isn't harmful for the tranny tho, is it? Like i.e. When I'm trying to slow down and just keep downshifting without gas to slow it down..?
      03-03-2017, 08:31 PM   #20
SSPKris
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

If you are getting clutch slippage, I would suggest to try an adaptation. If there is enough clutch material left, this will help greatly in drivability. BMW dealers can do this procedure. Aftermarket would be Pure Turbos or Trinity Autosports in Southern California.

SSP
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 11:15 PM   #21
Blyy23
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Please help me guys! I can not have the slip between 1st-2nd gear no matter how I drive it. But 2-3 still have a slip. What is it could be?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2017, 10:38 AM   #22
Patrón
PAZUZU
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
If you are getting clutch slippage, I would suggest to try an adaptation. If there is enough clutch material left, this will help greatly in drivability. BMW dealers can do this procedure. Aftermarket would be Pure Turbos or Trinity Autosports in Southern California.

SSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blyy23 View Post
Please help me guys! I can not have the slip between 1st-2nd gear no matter how I drive it. But 2-3 still have a slip. What is it could be?

2009 M3 DCT ESS625+ SOLD
Appreciate 0