BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

05-09-2011, 12:42 PM   #45
donovan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: R8 - Ford Raptor

Different strokes...

I love a super charger or turbo... I just think the 1M shouldnt be in the family of M... but then again, if you look at it...its the M of the 1 series....

1M Top 1 Series
M3 Top 3 series
M5 Top 5 series
M6 Top 6 series...

There is no difference but everyone was just pissed because it was turbo this time and not N-A... I still dont like it because its vibe isnt coming off as natural. Just like the 335, that was a marketing technique.

Audi R8 v10
Ford Raptor
m3e46freak@yahoo.comfor all euro parts!!
ebay/craigslist verified/ m3post/e46fanantics/m3forum/zpost/bimmerforum
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 12:45 PM   #46
crackberry
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Carrera GTS (997.2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayani_1 View Post
I do not think that there is any need to be sad about the N54 twin turbo engine in 1M. It might not have 8000rpm red line. But it offers far greater torque then the M3 engine. The ability to generate all this torque from as low as 1900 rpm is more use able during daily driving or even tighter tracks. The M3 on the other hand has to be driven pretty hard. Most people do not run up to 8K during daily driving.

Besides an appx. $600-1K chip like JB4/Procede etc......will make 1M near 400hp/400 Ib-ft of torque quiet easily with even more on tap with few additional things. The modding of N54 in 1M is a lot easier then M3 V8 and a lot cheaper.

Try modding an M3 V8 for similar power gains and see $$$$$$ flying out of your wallets at a rate faster then you can say N54.
not this again
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 01:00 PM   #47
MikeyBMWM
Lieutenant
Poland
Rep
Drives: Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKL View Post
I think it's ugly. Just not a fan.
Agree. Someone talks it's faster than M3.. Bullsh*t. M3 is faster, prettier and has better equipment than 1M. 135i? hahah
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 01:03 PM   #48
GeoXP
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 - Space Grey - ZCP

If some of the rumors/news is true then it sounds like turbos may be the future of ///M.

The 1M may just be a pioneer in that area. I think it looks like a blast to drive and harkens back to the smaller, faster cars in BMW's heritage. Since our 3's are now the size of the old 5's and whatnot. I'm not in the market for one as I just ordered my new M3 for ED in August. But I really want to drive one once. Especially since my N54 335i has been so much fun. I'm just curious to see how it feels with a slight HP bump in a smaller package. For that matter I want to drive the 335is once too....

Doesn't change the fact that I'm grinning from ear to ear about getting my first M3 Maybe because I'll be brand new into the ///M club, I'm just not as passionate about the NA-vs-Turbo debate....
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 01:07 PM   #49
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoXP View Post
If some of the rumors/news is true then it sounds like turbos may be the future of ///M.
Not really a rumor... every M going forward will be turbo'd.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 01:26 PM   #50
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92/E60

No doubt the fun of taking a very responsive high revving V8 to its limits is grin inducing in its own right. I myself prefer the high revving engines of M5, M6 and M3. But the cost of such indulgence is too severe in daily driving with gas mileage near 14 mpg city with the stop and go feature.

The way it comes out right now is 1.3K in red line in exchange for additional 6 mpg. I think with ever increasing gas prices at this point the cost of modding and owning an M3 is very steep compared to the 1M.

To some it makes no difference but to majority it does. If 1M was offered with the DCT it would have even appealed to greater public here in NA. Because it would have been more family friendly as many wife's refuse to touch 6-spd.

Regardless, if you have a well full of money dug up in your back yard M3

If that is not the case then 1M

It is different strokes for different folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
So true. But with that said, I had a software-tuned 135i and I much prefer the power delivery of the M3. Different strokes for different folks. Look at how Porsche sells the 911 Turbo and GT3 RS. I doubt people who really know what they want in a car cross shop those two cars. Most of the M3 guys would much rather own the GT3RS over the 911 Turbo.
nickname"BAD 3",MHD E85 tune,RennArt catback non-resonated exhaust,VRSF Downpipes, VRSF 7"FMIC,VRSF stock side inlets,SSQV BOV,ECS CP,M-performance alcantara steering,retrofit M3 paddle shifters,Alpina B3 tranny flash,AFE power seal CAI,LED angels,ST Coilovers,M3 upper/lower control arms,E93 M3 Front Swaybar ,235/35/19x9 ,275/30/19x9.5. M sport bumpers, CF diffuser. When in doubt..flat out.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 06:49 PM   #51
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeBMW2 View Post
I have a few journalist friends that have driven them who've said nothing about twitchiness. Chris Harris, who is a writer and professional racer, said it was damn near perfect and better than the M3.
That's not the impression I got seeing the video. I could be wrong of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVF4Rrider View Post
Agree. I'm sure there's no twitchiness. Twitchiness where? Under hard braking? The car has great high speed aerodynamics. Rarely on this forum is any credit given to anything else. It's laughable. Shows massive insecurities among this tribe. Ultimately unless you have first hand knowledge of something, you're just attempting to discredit. It's OK if you still prefer your M3!
You guys need to read the 1M vs. RS3 review in CAR. It's not full of unequivocal praise as some have heaped on it.

I opened up the magazine and jumped straight to the feature, eager to see the 1M completely humiliate the Audi.

But it apparently was wet at least during some part of the test, and they said the 1M was twitchy and could not put the power down - that in fact they were surprised at how much quicker the RS3 was in real world driving. From personal experience the M3 positively shines in the wet, so this does give me a little cause for concern.

At this stage without any of us having actually driven the car or directly compared it to an M3 (or other cars in a similar performance category), we're left with (sometimes contradictory) second hand accounts. Then there's the launch strategy with demonstrators available to dealers, question marks about engine reliability etc. I don't even want to address styling, that's so personal.

Not all the people on this forum are fanboys, insecure or whatever else you're trying paint them. Some of us are just a bit skeptical, on the healthy side of it. Nothing wrong with that, right?

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 09:48 PM   #52
Totti
Troll
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieGTRS View Post
Agree. Someone talks it's faster than M3.. Bullsh*t. M3 is faster, prettier and has better equipment than 1M. 135i? hahah
The 135i is not laughable like you suggest. And with BMW Performance exterior parts looks fantastic (Mine does).

My biggest gripe is Steptronic + DSC/DCT simply does not work, the car has no proper way of transferring all that power down without simply cutting the power and telling you to try again.

That's what I'm most looking forward to in the M, a DSC that allows you to shake your booty out a little without having to worry about losing power.
Use the stick like u would a manual. If that doesn't work, put it in D mode and put both hands at 10 and 2. If that doesn't work, just sit on your right hand.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 10:54 PM   #53
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
That's not the impression I got seeing the video. I could be wrong of course.

You guys need to read the 1M vs. RS3 review in CAR. It's not full of unequivocal praise as some have heaped on it.

I opened up the magazine and jumped straight to the feature, eager to see the 1M completely humiliate the Audi.

But it apparently was wet at least during some part of the test, and they said the 1M was twitchy and could not put the power down - that in fact they were surprised at how much quicker the RS3 was in real world driving. From personal experience the M3 positively shines in the wet, so this does give me a little cause for concern.

At this stage without any of us having actually driven the car or directly compared it to an M3 (or other cars in a similar performance category), we're left with (sometimes contradictory) second hand accounts. Then there's the launch strategy with demonstrators available to dealers, question marks about engine reliability etc. I don't even want to address styling, that's so personal.

Not all the people on this forum are fanboys, insecure or whatever else you're trying paint them. Some of us are just a bit skeptical, on the healthy side of it. Nothing wrong with that, right?
When twitchiness was brought up, there was no mention or assumption of wet or damp. Makes quite a bit of difference. Since the M3 doesn't have strong torque off idle, it would be easier to modulate power in the wet. None are going to beat AWD in the wet.
      05-10-2011, 12:00 AM   #54
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift@red View Post
the 1M got spanked by the Cayman R in both wet and dry (on worse tires mind you) and the RS3 also beat it in both wet and dry testing.

Not sure if you saw the test, posted in. the General section
All seems very logical.
      05-10-2011, 04:08 AM   #55
techthentic
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i, 370z

Quote:
the 1M got spanked by the Cayman R in both wet and dry (on worse tires mind you) and the RS3 also beat it in both wet and dry testing.

Not sure if you saw the test, posted in. the General section
Saying that when it starts to rain, driving in the RS3 allows the driver to easily pull away (because its an easy car to drive fast) is hardly saying that the RS3 beats it in the wet and dry...
No track testing or acceleration tests were done by in the review.
The 0-60 times for both cars given in the review were the manufacturer's claims.
Not to mention at the end of the day the 1M easily wins the comparison by being the better drivers car.

Read much?

I understand some of you need to make up for having small cocks, but this is ridiculous.
The M3 is one of the best cars I've ever driven, and it for sure on my list of must-own-in-my-lifetime cars along with the GT3; but theres no need to take anything away from the 1M.
Afraid you're going to get overtaken by one at your local track or the local mountain twisties?

In it's price range, there's really nothing that is as fast and good to drive.
Just like in the M3's price range, there's really nothing that is as fast and good to drive.
(as even the cayman R is more expensive than a M3 where I'm from)

We're all car enthusiasts here; tons of torque, same diff, same brakes... on a lighter car
How is it so hard for some of you guys to understand that in some situations (small tight tracks) it would be possible for the 1M to pull ahead?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 05:33 AM   #56
donovan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

The RS3 is nothing to play with to be honest...

Audi R8 v10
Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 09:19 AM   #57
rav7ks
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Garage List
08 M3  [0.00]
The 1M looks great and I'm sure drives great but I don't care for it. What has me thinking is the next gen M3
      05-10-2011, 11:46 AM   #58
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep

Quote:
I never said the 1M wasnt a better driver's car than the RS3, but the 1M cant touch the Cayman/S/R for being the better driver's car.
There was definitely some type of track timed testing. The 1M got badly beaten by the Cayman R and lost to the RS3 in both dry and wet laps. We all knew this would be the result with the Cayman R as its in another league, but seeing the RS3 beat the 1M shows Audi is making some at least decent cars (and that's coming from a guy who doesnt care to much for Audis).

Dry laptimes:
0.58,7 min - Cayman R PDK
0.59,8 min - RS3
1.00,2 min - 1M

Wet laptimes:
1.03,2 min - RS3
1.04,8 min - Cayman R PDK
1.05,7 min - 1M
I don't know about the RS3, but the S3 had to be rev'd to keep it performing. Not much in the way of bottom end. That makes for a terrible performing car in the real world. Obviously the biggest issue with the N54 has always been upper end power, where it goes flat. Track times are nice, but power characteristics and handling are important too and those don't show precisely in track times. AWD is great in some situations but are prone to understeer which is annoying. I'd have the Cayman R over the other two without question. I'd have other cars over the other two as well. I don't like hatchbacks.
      05-10-2011, 06:23 PM   #59
Brandon26pdx
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Looks wise, yeah, it's even gaudier than a 135i, which barely passes for handsome itself to most people. Not classically proportioned like an E46M, rather a little cartoonish and freakish looking. (I happen to think my TiAg 135i M-sport is tastefully shaped and well-proportioned for such a small car, but I'm biased obviously.)

Performance wise I'd have to drive one for an extended period, otherwise I'd just be talking out my ass. My one huge concern is that the engine may not have any significantly more "zing" or "woohoo" than a regular N54/N55 135i. Candidly, I find the N55 in my car to be lazy and unresponsive to my right foot, and a little lacking in character...fine for casual cruising or lightly spirited driving, but not up to the task of duty in a car with true sporting intentions that demands "right now" responsiveness. Everything else from the suspension to the brakes to the steering I'm sure is spectacular. I'm just a little skeptical it might be a brilliantly handling go-kart with a massaged truck engine in it.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 02:27 AM   #60
discoboy1
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82 1M VO/F30 328D

It's funny that most people who criticize the 1M have never actually tried it....
      05-11-2011, 02:39 AM   #61
creaminz
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI

Saw 1M for the first time in person. HP Autowerks in Santa Barbara recently picked up one...oh man...I can't believe those hating on this little monster! Aggressive bodyline, sick exhaust tone, and I'm sure it will be FAST on the track! Sick car!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 09:30 AM   #62
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

I think once more people see it in the flesh and drive it they're opinions will change.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 10:35 AM   #63
scottz5
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 13 F10 535xi & 11.75 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuned1 View Post
I think once more people see it in the flesh and drive it they're opinions will change.
I agree. I did not drive it but looks much better in person. I saw a white one at the dealer on Tuesday when we picked up the M3.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 02:08 PM   #64
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon26pdx View Post
Looks wise, yeah, it's even gaudier than a 135i, which barely passes for handsome itself to most people. Not classically proportioned like an E46M, rather a little cartoonish and freakish looking. (I happen to think my TiAg 135i M-sport is tastefully shaped and well-proportioned for such a small car, but I'm biased obviously.)

Performance wise I'd have to drive one for an extended period, otherwise I'd just be talking out my ass. My one huge concern is that the engine may not have any significantly more "zing" or "woohoo" than a regular N54/N55 135i. Candidly, I find the N55 in my car to be lazy and unresponsive to my right foot, and a little lacking in character...fine for casual cruising or lightly spirited driving, but not up to the task of duty in a car with true sporting intentions that demands "right now" responsiveness. Everything else from the suspension to the brakes to the steering I'm sure is spectacular. I'm just a little skeptical it might be a brilliantly handling go-kart with a massaged truck engine in it.
Throttle response does a lot for that lazy feeling you are talking about. I read the 1M Coupe has a lighter flywheel and it obviously has much more aggressive throttle mapping with the M button. Should be a blast.

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2011, 08:57 PM   #65
donovan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

We shall see

Audi R8 v10
Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0