BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM
Closed Thread

06-27-2013, 10:54 AM   #155
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasaki00 View Post
I hate to say it but almost every one of those pictures is not because of a clearance problem. It is a oil starvation problem. The picture of the set that the bottom look good and the top look bad is a big indication of no oil. Also the main bearings that have the cavitation dots at pretty much the same angle across the set is another indicator. There are 2 ways it usually happens. 1 is the 10-60 is too damn thick for a good start up lubrication and 2 at 5-7k rpm there is probably sufficient flow to the oil system. At 8000-8500 the oil pump could be hurting to keep up with flow trying to push a oil that heavy through the system. Remember oil pressure has virtually nothing to do with what we are talking about here, it is all about flow when dealing with rpm. I still firmly believe that a 5-40 oil is the better option for us normal street drivers. If tracking the car and seeing 300 on the oil then the stock oil is probably a better option. Although we run a 5-40 at 10k rpm and 320 on the oil for hours on end with no issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Maybe i'm wrong, but that BMW want that we use the 10-60 ,should be for a very....very good reason,and personal i think it's the oil consumption and it will be logic that with a 5-40 , we will consume even more oil
And i'm agreed that a 5-40 has a better lubrication , but do you want after 500 driven km's adding 1 liter of oil ?
So personal i think there are not 1 but 2 problems .....
1-The bearing problem
2-The oil consumption
And is there an oil for both problems ............. ?
I personal... i don't think so....and BMW.....actualy the same story !
Now, I'm not suggesting anything here, but this thought of using thinner oil has been thrown around a few times on this thread.

The new F10 M5 oil is a Castrol 5-30, I believe. Perhaps someone can weigh in whether it's worth the chance? But I'm on the side of "if it isn't broke, don't fix it", there's a reason why BMW elected to stay with 10-60 for the S65. I certainly don't have the technical knowledge to figure out the pros and cons to using M5 Castrol 5-30 vs the standard TWS 10-60

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
If the oil analysis is fine, then no. Why would you? Unless the report came back bad, I wouldn't look at doing that preventatively until later.
thanks for the tip, but my question was, when should I do the preventative? 60k? 80k? 100k? never until there's an indication in the oil analysis?

Last edited by mdosu; 06-27-2013 at 11:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 11:00 AM   #156
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post

thanks for the tip, but my question was, when should I do the preventative? 60k? 80k? 100k? never until there's an indication in the oil analysis?
That's what I would do, wait and see, and monitor. What's another $25 for analysis on top of a $115 oil change...lol

For me: At 23k 4 lead, at 37k, 5 lead, with other wear metals looking better. If at my next analysis (every other change) at ~52k I see a jump, I'll wait another change, check again, if it goes back down, no worries, stays high, worry but just keep monitoring, jumps up again, maybe time to take action
      06-27-2013, 11:03 AM   #157
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
That's what I would do.

At 37k, 5 lead. If at my next analysis (every other change) at ~52k I see a jump, I'll wait another change, check again, if it goes back down, no worries, stays high, worry but just keep monitoring, jumps up again, maybe time to take action
agreed, the first set of Blackstone report anaylsis always states that you need to establish a trend first before thinking about next steps. I'm kicking myself for not performing the sample in my last oil change (1 month ago).

I'm on the low mileage annual change cycle. I drive about 7500 miles a year, so I don't get many chances in the next 4-6 years to establish a trend. (unlike the guys who change their oil twice to three times a year due to track or high mileage usage)

I just ordered my kit from Blackstone, it's free until you sent in the analysis, so at least it'll remind me to collect the sample next year. Interestingly, they suggested i could have just collected it in a clean jar and transferred it to their kit later.

Last edited by mdosu; 06-27-2013 at 11:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 11:11 AM   #158
kawasaki00
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG-E92 ESS-650 BPM Tune

Quote:
Maybe i'm wrong, but that BMW want that we use the 10-60 ,should be for a very....very good reason,and personal i think it's the oil consumption and it will be logic that with a 5-40 , we will consume even more oil
And i'm agreed that a 5-40 has a better lubrication , but do you want after 500 driven km's adding 1 liter of oil ?
So personal i think there are not 1 but 2 problems .....
1-The bearing problem
2-The oil consumption
And is there an oil for both problems ............. ?
I personal... i don't think so....and BMW.....actualy the same story !
You are correct on the clearance problem.
On consumption I get what you are saying but oil weight and or brand has little to do with consumption. I stated before certain oils like Quaker state seem to have more burn off than others. While it can help or hurt to a degree the fact remains the oil consumption is mainly due to a ring package that is very difficult to design for a engine such as the one we have. Having enough radial tension vs ring weight is a problem. Our pistons are not gas ported, therefore the radial tension must be kept high enough that it still seals under heavy load low rpm. Having a light weight thin ring is what you want for turning 8500 and relying on gas porting to keep the ring sealed. When a high tension heavy weight top ring is used it will actually distort quite badly and look like a wavy lays potato chip in the ring land at that rpm.
So what I am saying is the consumption will always be there because the top ring is out of control at 8500.
Furthermore I run the rotella 5-40 and I change it every 4k miles. The cost of the oil allows me to change it more often. I have NEVER had to add oil because the 4k miles or the 6 months always comes up first.
I am not knocking the tws because it really is a superior oil to almost anything on the market today. The big problem is that it is a 10-60. I am by NO means telling people what to run. If others want to run something different more power to them, or those who choose to stick with the tws that is on there own account.
      06-27-2013, 12:21 PM   #159
VCMpower
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 Dakar, 2013 Fire Orange

I have a rod and measured big end, 56mm(2.200), then bearings, .078 thick(times 2), .156. Subtract bearing thickness from rod size, leaves 2.044. ?

Quote:
I thought the journal was 53mm on the s65, 2.086 right? Or are you talking about what we run in the race cars?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 12:40 PM   #160
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
That's what I would do, wait and see, and monitor. What's another $25 for analysis on top of a $115 oil change...lol

For me: At 23k 4 lead, at 37k, 5 lead, with other wear metals looking better. If at my next analysis (every other change) at ~52k I see a jump, I'll wait another change, check again, if it goes back down, no worries, stays high, worry but just keep monitoring, jumps up again, maybe time to take action
On my sheet, it says the average is supposed to be 9 if I'm not mistaken. So even if yours keeps going up, as long as it hovers around there, I wouldn't worry too much. Now if all of a sudden it jumps to let's say 14 (arbitrary number), then yes it might be time to take action.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 12:42 PM   #161
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
Now, I'm not suggesting anything here, but this thought of using thinner oil has been thrown around a few times on this thread.

The new F10 M5 oil is a Castrol 5-30, I believe. Perhaps someone can weigh in whether it's worth the chance? But I'm on the side of "if it isn't broke, don't fix it", there's a reason why BMW elected to stay with 10-60 for the S65. I certainly don't have the technical knowledge to figure out the pros and cons to using M5 Castrol 5-30 vs the standard TWS 10-60

I'd go purely based on the oil analysis. If you are at 100k at the lead levels are below the average, I wouldn't change anything IMO.

Looks like Blackstone is going to be receiving a bunch of oil kits from M3post
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 12:46 PM   #162
mtbkr31
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe

On page 7 (Engine-4: Stock internals, supercharged, Mileage: 72,000), that is my engine. I replaced the bearings with the VAC coated units. Active Auto did all the work and they measured the VAC coated units with OEM stock units...the clearance was the same.

I swapped out the bearings since I upgraded the supercharger to their newest level.

Some caveats:
-I change my oil every 3-5k miles
-Let the engine warm up where the oil temp is at 210; never pass 3k rpm until then
-Used the OEM Castrol until a 1.5 years when Active switched over to Redline
-Currently per Active's recommendation I'm using Mobil Race Oil 0W50 (ran for once cycle already...sent in my sample to Blackstone)

Quite literally, after the new VAC bearings went in the car, she's had over 20-25 dyno runs to track down a boost issue. So it will be interesting to see the results from Blackstone.

In as far as Active's new supercharger...holy crap it's FAST. Very happy with the upgrade from the HKS unit. Also, I notice that my oil temps don't go as high in the past when I had the HKS unit when on long drives (i.e. 50+ miles highway in 90+ degree). I attribute that to the larger intercooler and Rotrex supercharger not having to push as much as the HKS unit to make the equivalent power.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 12:47 PM   #163
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
You are correct on the clearance problem.
On consumption I get what you are saying but oil weight and or brand has little to do with consumption. I stated before certain oils like Quaker state seem to have more burn off than others. While it can help or hurt to a degree the fact remains the oil consumption is mainly due to a ring package that is very difficult to design for a engine such as the one we have. Having enough radial tension vs ring weight is a problem. Our pistons are not gas ported, therefore the radial tension must be kept high enough that it still seals under heavy load low rpm. Having a light weight thin ring is what you want for turning 8500 and relying on gas porting to keep the ring sealed. When a high tension heavy weight top ring is used it will actually distort quite badly and look like a wavy lays potato chip in the ring land at that rpm.
So what I am saying is the consumption will always be there because the top ring is out of control at 8500.
Furthermore I run the rotella 5-40 and I change it every 4k miles. The cost of the oil allows me to change it more often. I have NEVER had to add oil because the 4k miles or the 6 months always comes up first.
I am not knocking the tws because it really is a superior oil to almost anything on the market today. The big problem is that it is a 10-60. I am by NO means telling people what to run. If others want to run something different more power to them, or those who choose to stick with the tws that is on there own account.
First,thanks for your answer.......
But for the moment we all answer a question with more questions ,and maybe i'm thinking like a fool...when i think... we need something like a scanner for metal & aluminium to check these damn bearings and looking inside the motor ,and the same time i know it's not possible !
For the oil....maybe yes....maybe no , so i need to choose the correct button...who knows v v v
Attached Images

Last edited by ///M Power-Belgium; 06-27-2013 at 01:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 12:55 PM   #164
VCMpower
Banned
Canada
Rep

I still believe regardless of all the talks, that warming your motor up, not loading it when cold, and doing more frequent oil changes and you are fine. Have fun! On a final note it has not been discussed about the damaging effect of revving your motor up in Neutral to impress friends or whatever is a no no. Oil pressure will not climb as fast as this motor can spin up to 8400rpm with no load against it. Bad news.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 01:07 PM   #165
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCMpower View Post
I still believe regardless of all the talks, that warming your motor up, not loading it when cold, and doing more frequent oil changes and you are fine. Have fun! On a final note it has not been discussed about the damaging effect of revving your motor up in Neutral to impress friends or whatever is a no no. Oil pressure will not climb as fast as this motor can spin up to 8400rpm with no load against it. Bad news.
Agreed,and actualy i can not revving my motor when cold !
Why ?
The BPM tune... and the reduced red line limiter(reduced to 4 K RPM ) in cold start cycle,that is one of the good things about the BPM tune & DCT software

Last edited by ///M Power-Belgium; 06-27-2013 at 01:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 01:18 PM   #166
VCMpower
Banned
Canada
Rep

That BPM guy, who is he anyways!?

Quote:
Agreed,and actualy i can not revving my motor when cold !
Why ?
The BPM tune... and the reduced red line limiter(reduced to 4 K RPM ) in cold start cycle,that is one of the good things about the BPM tune & DCT software
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 01:24 PM   #167
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Quote:
That's why there's a standing limiter at ~7,000 rpm. To keep car show attendees from blowing up their M3's in the parking lot
      06-27-2013, 01:29 PM   #168
VCMpower
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
That's why there's a standing limiter at ~7,000 rpm. To keep car show attendees from blowing up their M3's in the parking lot
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 01:47 PM   #169
e92zero
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 BW

Quote:
Really?!? I think the standing limiter should be set at ~9k and allow these attendees to really show them off and impress others (when the engine blows up).

On a more serious note, I understand that it's bad to rev the engine up without load. But how is that different than rev matching on a down shift and you clutched in and rev the engine up to like around 6k rpm?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 02:16 PM   #170
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92zero View Post
On a more serious note, I understand that it's bad to rev the engine up without load. But how is that different than rev matching on a down shift and you clutched in and rev the engine up to like around 6k rpm?
mind blown...
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 02:20 PM   #171
VCMpower
Banned
Canada
Rep

Chances are , if you are doing this correct, your rpm when you go to rev match will not be starting from 850rpm. Oil pressure should already be there. This sound right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92zero View Post
Really?!? I think the standing limiter should be set at ~9k and allow these attendees to really show them off and impress others (when the engine blows up).

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 02:41 PM   #172
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Check this out... v v v v v another BIG bearing problem,and one with a sad story
And...BTW this guy had just received a good oil sample from Blackstone....this shoot's off.. all the previous comments of oil samples
And now guy's what's next.........................
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=858239

Last edited by ///M Power-Belgium; 06-27-2013 at 02:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 02:54 PM   #173
VCMpower
Banned
Canada
Rep

This is a pinion bearing!

Quote:
Check this out... v v v v v another BIG bearing problem,and one with a sad story
And...BTW this guy had just received a good oil sample from Blackstone....this shoot's off.. all the previous comments of oil samples
And now guy's what's next.........................
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=858239
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 02:57 PM   #174
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
This is a pinion bearing!
Yes i know....but it's still there and....you know $$$$ !
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 03:05 PM   #175
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

Quote:
Yes i know....but it's still there and....you know $$$$ !
Not really. You can buy a diff from a BMW dealer's online parts sales site, like BMW Morristown, for well under $2k. The BMWNA MSRP on the part is ~$2.7k even.
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 03:08 PM   #176
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
Not really. You can buy a diff from a BMW dealer's online parts sales site, like BMW Morristown, for well under $2k. The BMWNA MSRP on the part is ~$2.7k even.
Agreed,but without hours of labor and that counts too,actualy a lot ?
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread