BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

12-19-2013, 04:14 PM   #1
ZEEM3R
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Jaguar F-Type S AWD

hide away license plate

Hey everyone! Just wanted to wish everyone a happy new years and merry Christmas before I ask my question! Its about the swift motor sport hide away license plate. Iv actually had it for awhile now but never got around to installing it. I was wondering if anyone had any experiences with these types of brackets? I'm worried if I go over a bad pothole or something on the road, the plate will just break away from the car. Also, unfortunately I was worried about getting tickets for not having a front plate so I had my dealer drill into the bumper (I know, I'm stupid). Anyone know a body shop that'll do the paint job on long Island? Thanks!
2017 Porsche Macan Turbo
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 05:20 PM   #2
grantmax
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 ZCP

I've been looking for a proper review on this.

Front plate tickets are beginning to stack up. I'm considering just taping magnets behind my bumper.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 05:44 PM   #3
ZEEM3R
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmax View Post
I've been looking for a proper review on this.

Front plate tickets are beginning to stack up. I'm considering just taping magnets behind my bumper.
Me too! I want that clean no plates look but dont want to be worried about getting pulled over every time a cop is in front of me.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 06:42 PM   #4
Agent-GHQ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AW ///M3 E92 MT Comp Pkg

I'm not a fan of front license plate too as it just looks tacky as hell and atrocious!

But feel free to correct me if I'm wrong that if you place your front plate in the corner of your dashboard it would be acceptable as it is visible from the front?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 07:30 PM   #5
ZEEM3R
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent-GHQ View Post
I'm not a fan of front license plate too as it just looks tacky as hell and atrocious!

But feel free to correct me if I'm wrong that if you place your front plate in the corner of your dashboard it would be acceptable as it is visible from the front?
no unfortunately im pretty sure that also illegal here in NY. the plates have to be visible on the car =(
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 08:46 PM   #6
didithepest
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 550IX

Garage List
2011 BMW E93  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEEM3R View Post
no unfortunately im pretty sure that also illegal here in NY. the plates have to be visible on the car =(

His Statement is correct - If you ever get pulled over and the NYPD detects you have one of those - You will be in serious trouble - Trust me I know - they are for show purpose only
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 09:33 PM   #7
Agent-GHQ
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEEM3R View Post
But it is on the car, just visible from the inside.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 09:48 PM   #8
Porsche6MT
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Garage List
2012 BMW M3  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent-GHQ

It is also illegal in California. I just left the dealer plate installed in the back so they still think is a new car.

When I get pulled over and they ask where the plates are I tell them it was removed for a photo shoot. It has worked so far.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 09:51 PM   #9
Porsche6MT
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW M3  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEEM3R
Hey everyone! Just wanted to wish everyone a happy new years and merry Christmas before I ask my question! Its about the swift motor sport hide away license plate. Iv actually had it for awhile now but never got around to installing it. I was wondering if anyone had any experiences with these types of brackets? I'm worried if I go over a bad pothole or something on the road, the plate will just break away from the car. Also, unfortunately I was worried about getting tickets for not having a front plate so I had my dealer drill into the bumper (I know, I'm stupid). Anyone know a body shop that'll do the paint job on long Island? Thanks!
I have also bought it but haven't installed it yet. Thinking of where to put it so it doesn't scrape.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 10:18 PM   #10
ZEEM3R
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by didithepest View Post
His Statement is correct - If you ever get pulled over and the NYPD detects you have one of those - You will be in serious trouble - Trust me I know - they are for show purpose only
I don't drive into the city much so NYPD not a problem but Nassau County cops can be just as bad sometimes and I don't want no trouble.

Quote:
But it is on the car, just visible from the inside.
Lmao wish it was that easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure ///M View Post
It is also illegal in California. I just left the dealer plate installed in the back so they still think is a new car.

When I get pulled over and they ask where the plates are I tell them it was removed for a photo shoot. It has worked so far.
Haha NY cops aren't always that nice unfortunately. One once followed me a mile on the freeway before putting on his lights just to give me a tint ticket...

Quote:
I have also bought it but haven't installed it yet. Thinking of where to put it so it doesn't scrape.
I can't find any review of it here so I'm hesitant to install it too.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2013, 11:45 PM   #11
Agent-GHQ
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I have thought about leaving my dealer's plate on too but I just can't bring myself to do that. But that removal for a photo shoot sounds legit and convincing!! lol
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 01:23 AM   #12
grantmax
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 ZCP

The dealer plate gig is pretty good.

FYI - At some point they won't buy it. Then you just get a "no license plate" ticket which is akin to a "no front license plate" ticket. It's a correctable violation.

Just be sure you're nice to the guy. He can most likely get you for worse if you provoke him. Something with the word "willful" comes to mind. That's bad.

Front plates in the windshield are illegal as well. The law states that the plate must be "affixed" to the vehicle. Visability will not suffice. I've seen cops refuse to sign "fix it" tickets when the front plate is not fitted to the front bumper using the oem mounting bracket. That was likely a one off situation but it's proof of what can happen.

Magnets would at least a prevent the meter maids from ticketing me. That's a big enough win for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 08:17 AM   #13
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

My father-in-law has one on his a '13 Boxster S. I was very skeptical when he ordered it, but now that it's installed, I'm thoroughly impressed with the fit/finish. Even on the Boxster, there's plenty of clearance. He's put about 20k miles on it in Boston, MA and lost two tires during the same period (without issue).

Just make sure you have a good installer, these things are one size fits all.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 08:18 AM   #14
Porsche6MT
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW M3  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent-GHQ
Quote:

I have thought about leaving my dealer's plate on too but I just can't bring myself to do that. But that removal for a photo shoot sounds legit and convincing!! lol
There have been many occasions when cops have passed by my in the opposite lane and they did a U-turn to pull me over. When they see the dealer plates they just leave. It has been a little over a year and a half I have owned the car and I have no plates.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 08:44 AM   #15
tjsabec
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008, e90, alpine white, 6mt

Quote:

Atrocious is your go to word.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 09:41 AM   #16
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Just get a tow hook mount. Its funny on my f30 328i i got three no front plate tickets in one week. On my m3, none. I just have a tow hook up front and no trouble yet. Damn meter maids give no front plate tickets now.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 01:39 PM   #17
Agent-GHQ
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmax View Post
The dealer plate gig is pretty good.

FYI - At some point they won't buy it. Then you just get a "no license plate" ticket which is akin to a "no front license plate" ticket. It's a correctable violation.

Just be sure you're nice to the guy. He can most likely get you for worse if you provoke him. Something with the word "willful" comes to mind. That's bad.

Front plates in the windshield are illegal as well. The law states that the plate must be "affixed" to the vehicle. Visability will not suffice. I've seen cops refuse to sign "fix it" tickets when the front plate is not fitted to the front bumper using the oem mounting bracket. That was likely a one off situation but it's proof of what can happen.

Magnets would at least a prevent the meter maids from ticketing me. That's a big enough win for me.
Quote:
There have been many occasions when cops have passed by my in the opposite lane and they did a U-turn to pull me over. When they see the dealer plates they just leave. It has been a little over a year and a half I have owned the car and I have no plates.
Think I'll just go ahead and drill those holes on my bumper and installed the license plate bracket just to be in compliance with Cali license plate law. That's one less headache of playing cat n mouse!!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 04:52 PM   #18
ZEEM3R
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079
Just get a tow hook mount. Its funny on my f30 328i i got three no front plate tickets in one week. On my m3, none. I just have a tow hook up front and no trouble yet. Damn meter maids give no front plate tickets now.
I want to do that but I can't stand those holes in the bumper lol. I'd want to fix up the bumper first. I'm guessing paint shop is my best bet.
2017 Porsche Macan Turbo
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 04:53 PM   #19
ZEEM3R
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by riM3
My father-in-law has one on his a '13 Boxster S. I was very skeptical when he ordered it, but now that it's installed, I'm thoroughly impressed with the fit/finish. Even on the Boxster, there's plenty of clearance. He's put about 20k miles on it in Boston, MA and lost two tires during the same period (without issue).

Just make sure you have a good installer, these things are one size fits all.
That's good to know! Yeah I'm going to find a reputable shop to install it. Thanks!
2017 Porsche Macan Turbo
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 07:23 PM   #20
Koldun
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Think I'll just go ahead and drill those holes on my bumper and installed the license plate bracket just to be in compliance with Cali license plate law. That's one less headache of playing cat n mouse!!
You are a monster, don't do it!

Fuck da police!!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 11:21 PM   #21
ZEEM3R
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koldun View Post
You are a monster, don't do it!

Fuck da police!!
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2013, 09:16 PM   #22
Hawk Lax
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 AW Coupe

I have the unpowered one. Scrapes a little and can get hung up in deep snow. No problem with the police with it.
Appreciate 0