BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

01-31-2010, 06:51 PM   #1
stryker1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 2008 M3 silverstone

AA EXHAUST

TO ALL WHOM HAVE THE AA EXHAUST WITH OR WITHOUT THE X-PIPE
I'M ABOUT TO PULL THE TRIGGER ON GETTING EITHER THE AXLE BACK OR THE XPIPE AND AXLE BACK SYSTEM FROM THESE GUYS SINCE THEY ARE LOCATED ONLY 30 MIN FROM MY HOUSE IN MIAMI FL.

I MOST LIKELY WILL ALSO GET THE ECU TUNE SO GIVE ME YOUR OPINION ON THAT AS WELL

I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT THE OPINIONS ARE ON THEIR EXHAUST SYSTEMS, STARTING WITH,

SOUND FROM THE NEW TO ALREADY BROKEN IN
(HOW MUCH LOUDER AFTER BROKEN IN)

PERFORMANCE GAINS

AND MOST IMPORTANT DRONE FACTOR SINCE THIS IS MY DAILY DRVR.

THANK YOU ALL IN ADVANCE
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 07:12 PM   #2
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by stryker1 View Post
I'M ABOUT TO PULL THE TRIGGER ON GETTING EITHER THE AXLE BACK OR THE XPIPE AND AXLE BACK SYSTEM FROM THESE GUYS SINCE THEY ARE LOCATED ONLY 30 MIN FROM MY HOUSE IN MIAMI FL.

I MOST LIKELY WILL ALSO GET THE ECU TUNE SO GIVE ME YOUR OPINION ON THAT AS WELL

I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT THE OPINIONS ARE ON THEIR EXHAUST SYSTEMS, STARTING WITH,

PERFORMANCE GAINS

THANK YOU ALL IN ADVANCE

I think exhaust is OK.

ECU ???? not my cup of tea

Past: Gintani stage3 M3, Cayman GTS
present: Porsche 993RWB, 964RS America,996 cupcar, 964 turbo 3.6,Macan Turbo,997GT2,930 turbo,i3, MINI JCW
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 07:29 PM   #3
stryker1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Hey Eugene I Take It You Have Experience With This Sytem In The Past Since You Have The Akra On Your Sig.

How Did You Like The Sound, Performance Gains, Was Drone An Issue ? I Know The System Come With Ncc Chambers But Still Want To Make Sure.
Did You Have The Xpipe As Well?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 07:29 PM   #4
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

I really like my AA exhaust. I have it with HFC's and X-pipe so it's louder than just axle back and there is not really much drone. It's fairly loud though. I would never do an ECU tune for 14hp though, too many risks, and hardly any gain.
      01-31-2010, 07:49 PM   #5
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Hey Eugene I Take It You Have Experience With This Sytem In The Past Since You Have The Akra On Your Sig.

How Did You Like The Sound, Performance Gains, Was Drone An Issue ? I Know The System Come With Ncc Chambers But Still Want To Make Sure.
Did You Have The Xpipe As Well?
I have only taken an ride in one I didn't have one myself.

I think it sounds OK. I don't think the NCC is much use since I have also sat in a Gintani exhaust as well and it has not NCC set up but I felt the drone was less on the Gintani sport set up. Both cars had x-pipes. This was when I was in LA about 3-4 weeks ago.

I think the guys who got the Gintani setup also got a Gintani pulley, ECU tune, x-pipe+exhaust.

Maybe he got a good deal since everything is Gintani

Past: Gintani stage3 M3, Cayman GTS
present: Porsche 993RWB, 964RS America,996 cupcar, 964 turbo 3.6,Macan Turbo,997GT2,930 turbo,i3, MINI JCW
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 07:49 PM   #6
stryker1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Jo8m3 Did You Get A Noticable Difference In Hp And Torque
With The Xpipe And Muflers

THX EUGENE HOW WOULD YOU COMPARE THE SOUND DIFFERENCE IN THE GINTANI SPORT VS THE AA WHICH IS MORE F1 IF YOU WOULD?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 08:02 PM   #7
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

AA is a solid company, you will be extremely happy with the quality and power output. I would do the ECU upgrade at the same time, not only do you have the car there but they can tune the car to take advantage of the improved air flow with the exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 08:11 PM   #8
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Jo8m3 Did You Get A Noticable Difference In Hp And Torque
With The Xpipe And Muflers

THX EUGENE HOW WOULD YOU COMPARE THE SOUND DIFFERENCE IN THE GINTANI SPORT VS THE AA WHICH IS MORE F1 IF YOU WOULD?
Not really... Previously to this setup I had Eisenmann Sport with a secondary cat delete, (amongst other setups). Honestly with all the setups and you cannot feel the difference to OEM, it's just that aftermarket sounds so much better you can't help but stepping harder on the gas.
      01-31-2010, 08:17 PM   #9
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

I have the AA exhaust and tune and love it. The sound of the exhaust is great, not too loud and a noticeable difference in sound from stock. I would say in my opinion the throttle seems more responsive, but I did not do a dyno before and after so I am not going to make claims to any gains. IMO its one of the best exhausts for the money and I did quite a bit of research before buying. This is my daily driver and drone is not an issue - especially on hiway at cruising speeds.

Since you are close to AA - see if they can take you for a ride in a car that has one.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 08:18 PM   #10
stryker1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thx For The Honesty Jo8m3 I Always Thought Of It Being A Sound Or Audible Mod, I Guess Thats Why Some Do The Ecu Tune To Get Some Oomph Behind The Sound.

I Owned An Audi A3 2.0t Which Got 50 Hp From The Ecu Remapping
Wish That Was The Case With Our M3, Also Only Paid $300
Vs $900 For Only 15hp For The M3
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 08:30 PM   #11
NosonyxM3
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Alpine White

Love it

Just got two weeks ago at the winter social... I live in Fort Lauderdale

Fell in love with my car...

I posted Dyno Run and sheet...

Got 28 more wheel horsepower with these mods. look for my post's

Just added axle back and ecu.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 11:10 PM   #12
Labrada_Exoticz
Subscribed
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

I love my AA exhaust. To be honest I didn't feel much of a difference power wise but it sure sounds amazing inside the car and out, Not to much drone either. Definitely recommend it!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 01:19 AM   #13
leewoods18
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 550 M sport

have the AA rear section and Fabspeed xpipe with HFCs....not much drone at all (if any). From the outside it sound sick and on the inside, sound actually -pretty quiet. Love my setup. I am local, so ur welcome to meet up and hear it, PM me.
      02-01-2010, 02:42 AM   #14
Green///Hell
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, F15 X5, 1199S

Only since nobody has asked yet; WHY ARE YOU YELLING?

I like the sound of AA I think it sounds better as the full system tho with X-Pipe. Very mean gargle to it too
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 03:35 AM   #15
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

i heard both and had same dilema bc Dinan and AA were both close for me but in the end i went with the Dinan bc there was no drone anywhere ever in the rpm range and i can't stand drone any at all bc i drive it daily

i have the Dinan midpipe with rear muffler and stage 2 software and Dinan CAI. the car rips now and is much more powerful. wants to rip loose down low now where before i felt it to be soft especially since i was coming from a Dinan S2 E39 M5 which had alot of tq down low.

it sounds amazing and is only loud when you want it to be. when cruising at low rpm not much different then stock. from 4k below it is nice and deep and above 4k to redline it is exotic like sounds amazing.

plus the warranty was another thing that helped me choose

nothing against AA and theres is a good product from what i see, but in the end i couldn't have any drone and i heard some on the ones i drove in and heard

good luck in your choice

H

Quote:

PERFORMANCE GAINS

THANK YOU ALL IN ADVANCE
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 04:06 AM   #16
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

maybe that is the case with the AA then bc i def gained a very good amount of power when i added my midpipe. i did everything one at a time so i could feel it. i did the muffler first and that was just ok nothing major but when i added the midpipe with the updated software holy shit it was a new car it really ripped and it def wasn't just the extra sound that is for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
Not really... Previously to this setup I had Eisenmann Sport with a secondary cat delete, (amongst other setups). Honestly with all the setups and you cannot feel the difference to OEM, it's just that aftermarket sounds so much better you can't help but stepping harder on the gas.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 06:14 AM   #17
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Bomb View Post
maybe that is the case with the AA then bc i def gained a very good amount of power when i added my midpipe. i did everything one at a time so i could feel it. i did the muffler first and that was just ok nothing major but when i added the midpipe with the updated software holy shit it was a new car it really ripped and it def wasn't just the extra sound that is for sure
For me that was the case with, AA, Eisenmann, X-pipe w/ HFC's, Secondary cat delete, Supersprint. Not one of those changes made a power difference I could actually feel while driving.

Not saying no power was added, I'm sure there was different amounts of improvement with each setup. Guess I'm just not sensitive enough to tell from the drivers seat.
      02-01-2010, 11:12 AM   #18
dhoggm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 850i C, Gated R8 5.2, E63

Exhaust sounds great, F1-like. It gets louder with the X-pipe. It drones a little between 2K-2.5K RPM. Can only trust AA re: HP gains, but their designs work.

Their software, not as much.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 02:21 PM   #19
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

wow man i would think with the mid you would really feel it. maybe the tune had something to do with it

all i know is when i put that midpipe on without the cats and the updated software for it, i pulled out of the Dinan dealer and was like holy shit

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
For me that was the case with, AA, Eisenmann, X-pipe w/ HFC's, Secondary cat delete, Supersprint. Not one of those changes made a power difference I could actually feel while driving.

Not saying no power was added, I'm sure there was different amounts of improvement with each setup. Guess I'm just not sensitive enough to tell from the drivers seat.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 02:36 PM   #20
M3 Montreal
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 SG ,DCT & 2011 S4

I personally love my catless x-pipe and exhaust AA.

If you want to hear some inside cabin and outside videos check my vidoes on Youtube.

Type in "montrealbmwm3" in the search field and you will find about 9 videos (track , roll ons, drifting) etc...

I can tell you with catless X-Pipe and exhaust it's quite LOUD in city driving and very nice on highway driving since you are never in drone range at highway speed.

Ive actually sat in a friends car and checked mine out from behind to see how the canisters look and I can say I actually LIKED the look of the silver canisters. It gives it a very different look that I like.

2011 B8 S4 S-Tronic , Black on magma red
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 06:10 PM   #21
stryker1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the input guys, HEY Panda SORRY ABOUT YELLING
Sounds like the guys that have dinann set up are true believers of that system i will do some research on that system as well .
If i'm not mistaken the aa and dinan are close in price range correct me if i'm wrong.

Here is my last question to you all would you go with just the xpipe and muffler

Or do you automatically add the ecu tune to the mix,someone wasn't really sold on the aa tune, could you please elaborate.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 08:05 PM   #22
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
I'd do the full thing if you're choosing on a drone-free axle-back

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0