BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

06-27-2014, 10:07 PM   #1
modkrazy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Extended Warranty: yay or nay?

I know this is a frequently-discussed topic, but since I didn't see one in the first couple of pages, I thought to revive the subject.

So my '11 M3 warranty expires in January of next year, so I am starting to think about extended warranty. My car currently only has 25K miles on it and I got an offer at my local dealership for 3 years of platinum coverage for $5300. From my research on this forum, plus calls to several other dealers, this seems to be a relatively good deal.

I am now debating whether to take it. On one hand, the peace of mind for three more years would be very nice, in case something serious goes out like the DCT (practically unheard of, and I plan on getting the fluid replaced after a couple more years just to be safe) or a rod bearing (from the thread, seemingly more prominent in 088/089 bearings... by the way, what could regularguy have possibly done to get banned?! whatever it was, such a resource for fellow enthusiasts is sorely missed).

On the other hand, there are multiple arguments against the extended warranty:

1. The only thing to go wrong on this car in 3 years and 25K miles is the driver's side roof trim had a clip break, the battery had to be replaced a couple of months ago, and I'm taking it in on Tuesday for a couple of interior rattles.

2. With my driving habits, I'll probably barely hit 50K by the time the warranty expires, and outside of catastrophic failures, I will unlikely have $5300 of repairs. I would be better served just putting the money into bonds or savings to use as needed.

3. I keep hearing the siren call of the supercharger, and I suppose I could go ahead and reinforce the bearings while I'm at it. Still, it's a pipe dream at the moment, since any extra cash right now is going into house funds.

Thoughts? Experiences? Flames? Bring it on.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 10:51 PM   #2
mercedesc63
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 02 BMW Z3M Coupe S54 Slicktop

that extended warranty sucks and for 1-2k less u can get all the same coverage.... u should try USAA/Carchex(Assurant), EasyCare, and Zurich.

Also don't talk to me about problems. Everybody has problems and lots of people lie about it. I've had the car for 1 month and have had problems.

With used cars u must take care of your car. What everybody doesn't know is that once their factory warranty is up, u cant just get your car checked like u have now, it literally must have something wrong with it otherwise there is a 150$ diagnostic fee and that goes for every extended warranty available. Be sure to check the fine print your extensive factory warranty doesn't cover some wear and tear items like for example angel eyes/lamps or weather seals which can be very common problems and expensive. However I've had to replace 1 angel eye and it only cost 50$.

I also recommend the lowest deductible possible and don't bother even shopping for a warranty until like December or something because u have lots of warranty left.

Last edited by mercedesc63; 06-27-2014 at 11:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 12:12 AM   #3
zamboni
I want to drive a Zamboni
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 E93 M3 18 F80 M3 16 K71

Garage List
16 K71 F800GT  [10.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 BMW E93 M3  [10.00]
I would go with BMW program instead of third party, it's worth it should you have any unexpected problem with the vehicle which is not cheap to repair.

2000 E46,2006 E90,09 E82,13 E93 328i,14 F30 335i,18 F80 M3
My next vehicle would be a Zamboni
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 02:10 AM   #4
modkrazy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedesc63 View Post
that extended warranty sucks and for 1-2k less u can get all the same coverage.... u should try USAA/Carchex(Assurant), EasyCare, and Zurich.

Also don't talk to me about problems. Everybody has problems and lots of people lie about it. I've had the car for 1 month and have had problems.

With used cars u must take care of your car. What everybody doesn't know is that once their factory warranty is up, u cant just get your car checked like u have now, it literally must have something wrong with it otherwise there is a 150$ diagnostic fee and that goes for every extended warranty available. Be sure to check the fine print your extensive factory warranty doesn't cover some wear and tear items like for example angel eyes/lamps or weather seals which can be very common problems and expensive. However I've had to replace 1 angel eye and it only cost 50$.

I also recommend the lowest deductible possible and don't bother even shopping for a warranty until like December or something because u have lots of warranty left.
I would think it makes sense to shop now while I have time to negotiate and find the right price, rather than scrambling at the last minute.

I am aware of the diagnostic fee and lack of coverage on any wear and tear, and if anything, it's an argument against the warranty.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say people lie about problems. Are you saying I'm lying about what I've experienced with this car for three years? I'm the original owner. This bitch is rock solid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboni View Post
I would go with BMW program instead of third party, it's worth it should you have any unexpected problem with the vehicle which is not cheap to repair.
I would definitely go with the BMW program, the extra cost is worth not having to deal with a third-party adjuster and rather just going to my extremely mod-friendly dealership who just fix whatever I ask them to fix. My only "issue" with them is they keep changing my oil every time I bring it in because they keep forgetting to reset my service meter (and I guess check the date last service was performed). Yes, I know it's not bad as far as issues go, but I need a sample for Blackstone older than 3K miles.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 02:16 AM   #5
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

the only reason why i wouldn't get a extended warranty is because i would do heavy mods. if you keep your car stock i would for sure do it.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 02:20 AM   #6
modkrazy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
the only reason why i wouldn't get a extended warranty is because i would do heavy mods. if you keep your car stock i would for sure do it.
What would you consider heavy mods? The car has everything short of a supercharger, my dealership would only balk at something like that, and only because BMW doesn't vouch for any S/C company.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 02:30 AM   #7
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by modkrazy View Post
What would you consider heavy mods? The car has everything short of a supercharger, my dealership would only balk at something like that, and only because BMW doesn't vouch for any S/C company.
i wouldn't own a non supercharger M3 long term. So for me extended warranty is pushing it.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 02:34 AM   #8
modkrazy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
i wouldn't own a non supercharger M3 long term. So for me extended warranty is pushing it.
That's my biggest issue, I think. I'm planning on keeping this car for a long while, and a S/C is inevitable when I come across a DD I can tolerate driving instead of the M (had a hooptie when bought the M, never drove the hooptie again, so sold it; later decided needed a cheaper daily, bought one, never drove it, sold it too).
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 03:10 AM   #9
fuddman
Major
Rep
Drives: 528-maybe

Mine expires in February next and I've decided not to get the extended warranty. My thinking is: I got it new, I know what Ive done to it and I've got an independent mechanic I trust who's a lot less expensive than the dealer. Also, FWIW, a few years back, Consumers Report did an auto reliability analysis and concluded that , among all BMW models, the M3 (E9x version) was the most reliable.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 03:21 AM   #10
modkrazy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuddman View Post
Mine expires in February next and I've decided not to get the extended warranty. My thinking is: I got it new, I know what Ive done to it and I've got an independent mechanic I trust who's a lot less expensive than the dealer. Also, FWIW, a few years back, Consumers Report did an auto reliability analysis and concluded that , among all BMW models, the M3 (E9x version) was the most reliable.
I am positive this car will not incur $5300 worth of repairs in its first 50K miles of its life. It's more of a hedge bet against something really serious happening.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 08:08 AM   #11
AshyLarryMP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 MW E92 ZCP DCT

I don't plan on getting an extended warranty. My 2011 hasn't turned 30k yet and I take good care of it. I'd rather gamble that it won't break and just pay the repair bill if it does.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 08:14 AM   #12
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by modkrazy View Post
That's my biggest issue, I think. I'm planning on keeping this car for a long while, and a S/C is inevitable when I come across a DD I can tolerate driving instead of the M (had a hooptie when bought the M, never drove the hooptie again, so sold it; later decided needed a cheaper daily, bought one, never drove it, sold it too).
Then I think you just answered your own question. No warranty is going to cover you with a blower.

If you change course, +1 for Easycare. I have a 3 year powertrain warranty (engine, trans) through them on my DCT. Cost me about $2k. That was a pretty easy choice as a hedge against the catastrophic.

I'm ok with going out of pocket on everything but those items.

Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 01:10 PM   #13
sgrinavi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 911GTS & 2014 X1

Garage List
I've had my 2011 for 4 or 5 months and it's had the throw-out bearing, clutch fork & battery replaced and been reprogrammed once.

I'm thinking hard about extended warranty ...
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 01:17 PM   #14
4corners
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jet Black M3 Coupe

Garage List
I was offered a warranty by my lender when I bought my car. The company offered a BMW M3 policy. LIMITED TO $3000 IN REPAIRS!!!!

CHECK THE FINE PRINT
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 01:39 PM   #15
Kunman
First Lieutenant
Rep

its probably worth it if you track your car hard. ie 20 plus track days a year, the warranty will probably pay for its self
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 02:03 PM   #16
izzyM2
Major
Rep
Drives: 24’M2/21ID.4/21’MacanGTS

I was offered an extended warranty when I purchased my 11' M3 among others ones, from Ford. Mind you the car still has up to 4/2016 from BMW's original warranty. I was promised 5 yrs or 75k mile from purchased but when I read the fine print, it was dated from the original purchased giving me only another 3 yrs. so it turn's out I could have spent 3k for just another year from BMW's original warranty. So who ever you buy the warranty from make sure you read the fine print. I'm still considering getting an extended but being cautious about it.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 02:18 PM   #17
duk
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW/FR 6MT E92

yaye if you can find a good deal
      06-28-2014, 03:33 PM   #18
modkrazy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post
Then I think you just answered your own question. No warranty is going to cover you with a blower.

If you change course, +1 for Easycare. I have a 3 year powertrain warranty (engine, trans) through them on my DCT. Cost me about $2k. That was a pretty easy choice as a hedge against the catastrophic.

I'm ok with going out of pocket on everything but those items.
That may well be a good alternative. Yes, the dealership won't cover the blower, but I'm considering doing the work myself, so I'd be able to take it off worst case scenario.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 06:40 PM   #19
Ryguy29
TrizzlemyniZzzlE3
Rep
Drives: Sparkling graphite m3 coupe

imo the intervals are way to high i feel like i didint get nearly enough back on what i paid for the exteneded maintance coverage...if u got a good indy shop nearby i would consider bringing it to them 15k mile intervals are crazy for an M!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 03:10 AM   #20
modkrazy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Extended maintenance is retarded. I'm talking about warranty.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 07:48 AM   #21
Ludey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 Turbo S

I looked in to one for my previous M. And was quoted similar figures, which varied with the coverage and length obviously.

I mean, it's basically a peace of mind thing. The chances are slim that you'll blow an engine or your DCT goes. Is that peace of mind for the coverage worth 5k? That's going to be more of a personal choice than a numbers decision.

For me personally, it was not worth it. Had it been in the $2500 range, then maybe. But I get the peace of mind from the fact that, in general, these are extremely well engineered vehicles, capable of standing the test of time.

As far as putting a blower on there, I would say that should a reason to NOT get the warranty. Not only will you be doing something that will void the most expensive thing the warranty covers, you'll have to remove a supercharger before going in for *anything* That's nuts. Not to mention, if you take it off before going in for something like a blown engine, then they fix it, you're doing something pretty sketchy or maybe even illegal (I don't know). Either way, its dishonest.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 08:40 AM   #22
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludey View Post
I mean, it's basically a peace of mind thing. The chances are slim that you'll blow an engine or your DCT goes. Is that peace of mind for the coverage worth 5k? That's going to be more of a personal choice than a numbers decision.

For me personally, it was not worth it. Had it been in the $2500 range, then maybe.
Engine and trans warranty for $2k is available

Appreciate 0