BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

07-05-2012, 03:58 AM   #1
Deeps
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

E92 Side Gills

How you all doing guys?

I ordered and fitted my Melbourne red side gills on my Jerez Black M3 and not really feeling it anymore :

So think I'll need to be giving either these or my OEM chrome ones a respray.

Has anybody attempted spraying their own? Whats the best way to proceed? (I.e. any tips on which products to use prior to painting and any finishing clear coats to use?)
      07-05-2012, 04:18 AM   #2
Deeps
Private
Rep

Attached Images

07-05-2012, 04:23 AM   #3
NELSON.MLGB
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 JB M3

I did it to mine. Sand it Down and use dupli color to spray. U can also purchase the oem black ones, they are always the best.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 05:43 AM   #4
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

I'll take just the markers without the tints off your hands if you'd like.
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 07:48 AM   #5
Deeps
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicname
I'll take just the markers without the tints off your hands if you'd like.
Thanks bud, but I ordered these from Bimmian and had them shipped to the UK. So after postage and customs charges, you'll be better off ordering a painted pair from Bimmian directly and shipping inland.
      07-09-2012, 06:10 PM   #6
ec_E92
Enginerd
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3,E36M3,957GTS,E39M5S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeps View Post
How you all doing guys?

I ordered and fitted my Melbourne red side gills on my Jerez Black M3 and not really feeling it anymore :

So think I'll need to be giving either these or my OEM chrome ones a respray.

Has anybody attempted spraying their own? Whats the best way to proceed? (I.e. any tips on which products to use prior to painting and any finishing clear coats to use?)
I sprayed mine to go anti-chrome. Get a multi pack of sandpaper from an autoparts store (something around 100 / 1000 / 2000 grit combo pack) and once you've knocked the chrome off wetsand to a smooth finish. I used Dupont Acrylic clear coat over Rustoleum Metallic Indoor/Outdoor. You can use Dupont Acrylic, I just found I liked the blue better on the Rustoleum. Then I hand buffed with a microfiber towel and some compound/polish. Took me 1 Sunday afternoon and the best part is if you screw it up, sand it down and respray!

Sorry for crappy iPhone pics.

07-09-2012, 07:57 PM   #7
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

You can get your OEM color in a spray can here:

http://www.paintscratch.com
      07-10-2012, 03:07 PM   #8
Deeps
Private
Rep

These look awesome bud, such a neat finish! Thanks for the tips and advice, and for taking time to take some pictures.

I had my first go today, and failed miserably. I used a low grade sand paper to remove the chrome, then washed it clean, dried it, and then had a go with a first coat. I sprayed in linear motions from one end all the way to the other, and did it twice for a single coat, but it turned out to be too much since it started dripping. Once dried I used a finer paper to sand down the thicker areas and then rewashed and gave it a second coat, but now its completely uneven and the areas I sanded to remove the drops are now still exposed. I look at how perfect my MR one from Bimmian is and I realise how much I still have to learn about being able to use spray paints effectively lol.

I'll strip it down and start again tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ec_E92 View Post
I sprayed mine to go anti-chrome. Get a multi pack of sandpaper from an autoparts store (something around 100 / 1000 / 2000 grit combo pack) and once you've knocked the chrome off wetsand to a smooth finish. I used Dupont Acrylic clear coat over Rustoleum Metallic Indoor/Outdoor. You can use Dupont Acrylic, I just found I liked the blue better on the Rustoleum. Then I hand buffed with a microfiber towel and some compound/polish. Took me 1 Sunday afternoon and the best part is if you screw it up, sand it down and respray!

Sorry for crappy iPhone pics.

07-10-2012, 08:52 PM   #9
ec_E92
Enginerd
United_States
Rep

Quote:
These look awesome bud, such a neat finish! Thanks for the tips and advice, and for taking time to take some pictures.

I had my first go today, and failed miserably. I used a low grade sand paper to remove the chrome, then washed it clean, dried it, and then had a go with a first coat. I sprayed in linear motions from one end all the way to the other, and did it twice for a single coat, but it turned out to be too much since it started dripping. Once dried I used a finer paper to sand down the thicker areas and then rewashed and gave it a second coat, but now its completely uneven and the areas I sanded to remove the drops are now still exposed. I look at how perfect my MR one from Bimmian is and I realise how much I still have to learn about being able to use spray paints effectively lol.

I'll strip it down and start again tomorrow. Fingers crossed.
Thanks for the compliments! Just go easy on the coats and slowly build them up, I think I applied 5-6 light coats of color and 3 light coats of clear. I'll admit I sanded down my first attempt as well and resprayed.

Good call on rinsing them off after sanding, I forgot to mention that, you want a clean surface for the paint to adhere to.

I don't think I could get the rich, deep automotive gloss finish that Bimminian or IND can produce, but for $10 in supplies and a few hours I think they look damn good!
      07-13-2012, 09:07 AM   #10
Deeps
Private
Rep

Second attempt is much better, 6-7 thin coats of base paint, now nice and smooth.

For the clear lacquer, should I wait for the base to dry completely first?
      07-13-2012, 09:51 AM   #11
DJDeez
Got my license back!
Canada
Rep
Drives: TransLink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ec_E92 View Post
Just go easy on the coats and slowly build them up, I think I applied 5-6 light coats of color and 3 light coats of clear.
I can't stress this enough, less truly is more when it comes to paint! I remember my first time, laid the paint on so heavy it was dripping everywhere LOL talk about a lesson learned!

Quote:
For the clear lacquer, should I wait for the base to dry completely first?
Does it not state on the can of clear lacquer? I would wait 5 minutes between base coats and 30 minutes before clear, try that out. The more coats of clear, the further the depth.
aFe cold air intake system (stage 2) ▫ Agency Power cat delete/section 2 midpipes ▫ Agency Power exhaust system ▫ Beltronics STiR Plus ▫ BMW M style (ZHP) weighted short shift knob ▫ CIC iDrive ▫ Clutch pedal spring removal ▫ Coding ▫ Evolve-R tune ▫ Laser Interceptor ▫ LUX H8 V3 Angel Eyes ▫ pickyeater334 clutch stop ▫ Rear fog lights (2011 light control switch assembly) ▫ T3 Alpha laser gun protection ▫ Turner Motorsport power pulley kit
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 03:07 AM   #12
Deeps
Private
Rep

Thanks for all of your tips guys! Took your advice and its come out immaculate now! I went for the GTS Orange

Although I did break one of the clips whilst sanding
Attached Images

07-15-2012, 12:05 PM   #13
ec_E92
Enginerd
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for all of your tips guys! Took you advice and its come out immaculate now! I went for the GTS Orange

Although I did break one of the clips whilst sanding
Looking good!
      07-15-2012, 03:38 PM   #14
Deeps
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3alabama
wait your putting orange gills on a black car? I was just going to say thank goodness you came to your senses with the red ones and were going back to black or chrome but yikes. Sometimes certain colored mods like gills or front grilles are just too much
Lol indeed.

Your reaction may be justified - but I guess I felt like experimenting with the red to see if it would look good, wanted to try something different, unique, like the IND guys do with theirs (all the M3s in my area are completely stock, I haven't even seen anybody change to black grills/gills).

The orange was the next experiment - will see how it looks once fitted.
      07-17-2012, 04:25 PM   #15
Deeps
Private
Rep

Also, FYI my Bimmian melbourne red side gills are up for sale if anybody in the UK is interested? (Anybody in the US - better off buying from IND or Bimmian to save on international shipping and customs).