BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

12-07-2012, 11:22 AM   #23
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

i'm not sure what your state/local laws are on these stickers, but where I'm from, if you don't display, regardless of whether you have a valid sticker, you will have to pay a fine for no-display. I think they justify this fee as an "admin" fee for making them go through a validation process, which takes up their time.

I guess do it at your own risk.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 03:35 PM   #24
cmk227
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Goal: Another ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvanderbilt
I saw someone with Ireland plates the other day. The full size plates. In MD. No other tags.

It got me thinking. I wonder how long it would be before you got pulled over if you just left your ED plates on?
Going on two years on the front euro plates.

14 Lexus GX460 & 14 Lexus ES300H
14 BMW 528d Touring Estate - UK
Previous M's: 11 BMW M3 JZB ZCP 6MT, 02 BMW M3 Conv 6MT & 02 BMW M3 Coupe 6MT
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 03:38 PM   #25
m3an
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk227 View Post
Going on two years on the front euro plates.
right but on the front only, no? and TX doesn't require front plates right? So you can get away w/ it. I still think it looks silly and looks cleaner w/ nothing on the front
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 03:48 PM   #26
bvanderbilt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by konaforever View Post
A ticket.
I tried Googling for examples

"You know this just occurred to me actually, for the last 5 years my father has been running Italian plates front and back on his Ferrari 360 Spider, he picked the car up at the factory in Italy and drove it over there for 2 months. He was stopped once in Alabama of all places, and all the cop wanted to do was say nice car. He has the regular plate in the car, he scratched it all over some brick and has always said if anyone ever said anything he would just say it fell off!"

Seems like there is little to lose. You might get a ticket if you get a cop in a bad mood. Especially if you get one of those replica plates that has your state and numbers on it, cop would have to be in a really bad mood. Wouldn't work for folks that live in cities where people are always checking plates/tags for permits or non-registered out of state drivers (DC is notorious for this) but might well work for the weekend driver in the 'burbs especially if the car is garaged privately.

I do a lot of work out of my home state for long durations and sometimes my state inspection/registration lapses for months until I can get back home. I've had cops behind me at lights with two month out of date registration sticker in their face and never an issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 03:57 PM   #27
TVMA Doc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3, Jerez Black

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvanderbilt View Post
I saw someone with Ireland plates the other day. The full size plates. In MD. No other tags.

It got me thinking. I wonder how long it would be before you got pulled over if you just left your ED plates on?
A class mate of mine in Virginia tried that with CA plates. He made it PRECISELY the ten day limit, then began to get a ticket EVERY DAY until he found the time to get to the DMV to re-register the car for VA. He was busy in class and was even parking it in different spots/streets near his apartment-he actually called it "trying to hide it"-but the local PD found it EVERY time.

Get ready for a very expensive experience if you try to drive without the inspection sticker or with an out of state plate. Some states actually tie property tax to the stickers, so you can get hit with evading taxes if you try to get away without paying. CA moved to a "vehicle licensing fee" in lieu of property tax on cars, so at least it isn't a felony if you try to skirt the law.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 03:59 PM   #28
TVMA Doc
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvanderbilt View Post
I tried Googling for examples

"You know this just occurred to me actually, for the last 5 years my father has been running Italian plates front and back on his Ferrari 360 Spider, he picked the car up at the factory in Italy and drove it over there for 2 months. He was stopped once in Alabama of all places, and all the cop wanted to do was say nice car. He has the regular plate in the car, he scratched it all over some brick and has always said if anyone ever said anything he would just say it fell off!"

Seems like there is little to lose. You might get a ticket if you get a cop in a bad mood. Especially if you get one of those replica plates that has your state and numbers on it, cop would have to be in a really bad mood. Wouldn't work for folks that live in cities where people are always checking plates/tags for permits or non-registered out of state drivers (DC is notorious for this) but might well work for the weekend driver in the 'burbs especially if the car is garaged privately.

I do a lot of work out of my home state for long durations and sometimes my state inspection/registration lapses for months until I can get back home. I've had cops behind me at lights with two month out of date registration sticker in their face and never an issue.
You seem to be right about DC. We were going to school in DC and he got nailed repeatedly in Arlington, VA. You might add VA to the list of places that will absolutely NOT give any leeway with resepect to out of state plates/lack of tax or safety stickers.

At the very least, Arlington seemed to have HIS number.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 04:43 PM   #29
bvanderbilt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVMA Doc View Post
You seem to be right about DC. We were going to school in DC and he got nailed repeatedly in Arlington, VA. You might add VA to the list of places that will absolutely NOT give any leeway with resepect to out of state plates/lack of tax or safety stickers.

At the very least, Arlington seemed to have HIS number.
That part of the world is notorious for that type of thing. I tend to think of VA as one of the most restrictive states in the union due to the draconian fine schedule and felony charges for going >80mph. I hit cruise control and put on some Miles Davis to ensure I stay relaxed whenever I pass through.

I am glad I am seldom in VA. I do temporary assignments and would hate the hassle of having to register every time.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 05:28 PM   #30
BigApple
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Matthew View Post
You don't think that maybe, just maybe, they are different colors for a reason?
My 2011 e93 has the same Color as my 2013 e93
So where is your different color here ? Just Black on White backround.

Why are people so strange here. All i am asking is a question. I thought it is fair to ask... but people judge so fast ...
      12-07-2012, 05:35 PM   #31
BigApple
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsabec View Post
You have to be about 12 years old?
thanks for your constructive reply...
      12-07-2012, 06:04 PM   #32
BigApple
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodle View Post
For serious?

Are you related to this guy?
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=763572
because i care about a certain look ? goodness
      12-07-2012, 07:53 PM   #33
Foodle
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigApple View Post
because i care about a certain look ? goodness
No, because you completely fail to understand why the stickers might be a particular color or that counterfeiting one just to alter the color might be an issue for the authorities.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 10:38 AM   #34
HeartMD
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 MW,ZCP E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3an View Post
right but on the front only, no? and TX doesn't require front plates right? So you can get away w/ it. I still think it looks silly and looks cleaner w/ nothing on the front
Definately have to agree. I completely love the euro plate look as it fits the car very nicely but in America it does look very silly and out of place /disorganized IMHO with the mismatched plates. Oh and back to the main topic, Im very glad CT doesnt do any sitckers on the front windshield.
2011.75 E92 MW/BB extended,ZCP,ZP2,ZCV, IPOD,BMW APPS, Heatedseats,6MT, Edition Black Chrome Grills & Side Gills, CF splitters, CF performance spoiler, CF mirror caps, Turner black anodized pedals, Akropovic Evolution exhaust w/CF tips, Still Undecided on tune, AFE Pro5r, AFE intake scoops, LUX H8
2009 E92 JB/Black 335 xdrive (retired)

Last edited by HeartMD; 12-08-2012 at 11:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 04:29 PM   #35
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVMA Doc View Post
A class mate of mine in Virginia tried that with CA plates. He made it PRECISELY the ten day limit, then began to get a ticket EVERY DAY until he found the time to get to the DMV to re-register the car for VA. He was busy in class and was even parking it in different spots/streets near his apartment-he actually called it "trying to hide it"-but the local PD found it EVERY time.

Get ready for a very expensive experience if you try to drive without the inspection sticker or with an out of state plate. Some states actually tie property tax to the stickers, so you can get hit with evading taxes if you try to get away without paying. CA moved to a "vehicle licensing fee" in lieu of property tax on cars, so at least it isn't a felony if you try to skirt the law.
Every fucking day??? Arlington is full of prius driving commies . I know cuz I live there
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2012, 03:03 PM   #36
TVMA Doc
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
Every fucking day??? Arlington is full of prius driving commies . I know cuz I live there
Yes, he literally got hit every day starting with a Monday. He was so busy getting set up for student loans, etc. that first few weeks of school that he didn't have time to get to the DMV right away, and figured "oh, well, how many more could I possibly get?" He got hit every day until he decided to take Friday off and get it taken care of.
Appreciate 0