BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 Marketplace > SPONSORS Classifieds/Groupbuys/Specials Area > Exterior / Cosmetic Parts (External and Internal) & Lighting

05-11-2011, 01:16 PM   #265
cracker123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AstonMartin Virage, M6 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxAngelEyes View Post
We still have a lot of orders to get in the mail by Friday. We will have all the orders in the mail by Friday or Saturday morning. Thanks again everyone for their patience while we build all the lights
Not a problem, these look great, can't wait to put them on.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 07:25 PM   #266
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Really bad BB picture... sorry for the quality. In real life, these look fantastic!! I'm very happy with them.

2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 02:43 PM   #267
ucsdsig
Private
Rep
Drives: '08 E63, 2011.5 E93 M3

Was trying to convince myself that I was fine with my GP Thunders. Oh well, guess I was wrong. Order placed
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 09:09 PM   #268
mact3333
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' YMB/Blk F82

Anyone saying they installed these in 10 minutes is a farkin liar!...

It will take 10 minutes just to figure how to work the bulb into the housing...I have small hands and I couldnt get my hands in there to have any leverage to turn the back of bulb...you cannot just push bulb down by holding it and put it into the housing.

And marking with sharpie doesnt work now as the heat sinks are black...and if you mark it with anything else when you grab and twist ink/paint(or whatever you used) rubs off so you are essentially doing it blindly just as if you didnt mark it to begin with.

can anyone tell Im abit frustrated?......this is much more difficult than installing an entire HID kit which I have done many times, as there are severe access issues here.

This kit would be better if the heat sink wasnt completely round ...ie, the H8 bulb has a part angled out 90 degrees so its obvious which way its supposed to line up....the heatsink needs a handle part so you "know" which part should line up where when you insert and twist....this last part Im being totally seriously about.

Anyone want to see a pic of my frikkin halogen oem angel eyes?, they are really frikking impressive looking!...
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 09:26 PM   #269
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mact3333 View Post
This kit would be better if the heat sink wasnt completely round ...ie, the H8 bulb has a part angled out 90 degrees so its obvious which way its supposed to line up....the heatsink needs a handle part so you "know" which part should line up where when you insert and twist....this last part Im being totally seriously about.
+1... My exact suggestion to LUX. Love these when they are in but they are a bitch to install. An angled end, like the OEM unit, would make install WAY easier.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 10:32 PM   #270
cracker123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AstonMartin Virage, M6 GC

Quote:

It will take 10 minutes just to figure how to work the bulb into the housing...I have small hands and I couldnt get my hands in there to have any leverage to turn the back of bulb...you cannot just push bulb down by holding it and put it into the housing.

And marking with sharpie doesnt work now as the heat sinks are black...and if you mark it with anything else when you grab and twist ink/paint(or whatever you used) rubs off so you are essentially doing it blindly just as if you didnt mark it to begin with.

can anyone tell Im abit frustrated?......this is much more difficult than installing an entire HID kit which I have done many times, as there are severe access issues here.

Anyone want to see a pic of my frikkin halogen oem angel eyes?, they are really frikking impressive looking!...
Pics would be awesome
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 10:42 PM   #271
geneatals
Ninja
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 530e

Quote:

10 minutes sounds about right...

back the lux unit into the housing, so bulbs facing forward/towards you, then push the lux bulb into the bulb socket. Now in terms of lining up the tabs, I simply remembered how the OEM H8 halogen bulbs tabs looked before removing them, so I could position the lux tabs the same way, then I used a flat head screw driver and placed it in the vertical grooves along the heat sink and used that to tighten the bulbs in...voila...
      05-12-2011, 11:21 PM   #272
rabman5
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: none

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:

I agree 100%!! I tried for about 30 minutes and couldn't get it in. Called my son over, his hands are much smaller, but he couldn't get it in and didnt really care to try longer that 3 minutes. I'm going to give it another shot this weekend when I have more time.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2011, 11:50 PM   #273
mact3333
Captain
United_States
Rep

I still call BS on anyone saying they did this in 10 minutes...it would have to go completely flawless and no delays to do this in 10 minutes...and anyone who tells me they back in the bulb with their hands and then push into socket either is lying or they have the smallest hands on the planet!....

You cannot back that bulb with your hands...you would have to have extremely long fingers(hence no hand in the hole) or very small hands(hands in the hole)...in order for me to get the bulb into the socket I had to let it fall freely, then use a tool to tilt up at awkward angle and slowly work the tip and then grab the length of unit(not heat sinks) with fingertips to work it in...then the frustration of not being able to twist it in cause I had no grip or leverage whatsoever.

I am thinking of dremeling the tabs down abit by shaving it down abit and applying vaseline on the tabs too...I did notice one of the three tabs was abit smaller than the other two...wonder if that tab goes on top/superior.

Anyone who thinks they are going to grab the end of LED light and simply just push it into the socket is going to be in for a real treat haha....
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 12:04 AM   #274
geneatals
Ninja
United_States
Rep

no need to get all pissy, sorry you are so frustrated...yes I was able to back the bulbs in and no, I'm do not have the hands of a child...I held the lux's by the bulbs (between my index and middle finger) not the heat sink when backing them in, then used the same fingers to grab the base of the heat sink to push in and maneuver the bulbs into place....and yes it did take 10 minutes the second time around...first time was about 15 maybe it's because I've installed a few regualr H8 bulbs in before, trying different brands prior to the lux. Sounds like you are having some trouble lining up the tabs. Whatever the case, seems the majority of us have gotten them in without too much aggravation. The fact that you call BS on people's install times bewilders me a bit tho. Not sure why anyone would do that or even want to.

GL with your install...hoping future mods are much less time consuming for you...

Last edited by geneatals; 05-13-2011 at 12:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 12:09 AM   #275
geneatals
Ninja
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucsdsig View Post
Was trying to convince myself that I was fine with my GP Thunders. Oh well, guess I was wrong. Order placed
ha..yes, finally...let me know if you need some help getting these installed bro, I highly doubt you will tho
      05-13-2011, 12:19 AM   #276
isugoo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GTS

Just installed mine last night.
In day time, my inner rings are really bright just like LCI's but outer rings are really dark. It's not getting enough lights. Maybe 50% brightness of the inner rings in regular standing position. If I look straight to angel eyes, it seems better (maybe 80% brightness compare to inner rings).

Am I the only having this issue?

PS- I couldn't install them myself. But a forum member (girl) did it for me. Funny.

PAST: F80 M3 ZCP | 911.1 C2S | F10 M5 ZCP | E70 X5M | E90 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 12:34 AM   #277
geneatals
Ninja
United_States
Rep

outter rings are definitely not as bright as that's the design of the oem unit..outter rings get reflected light, looks like lux attempts to address this by having one of the bulbs point directly into the tube that lights the outter ring, if you look closely at your lux's installed, is that bulb pointing directly at that tube leading to the outter ring?
      05-13-2011, 12:48 AM   #278
mact3333
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by geneatals View Post
no need to get all pissy, sorry you are so frustrated...yes I was able to back the bulbs in and no, I'm do not have the hands of a child...I held the lux's by the bulbs (between my index and middle finger) not the heat sink when backing them in, then used the same fingers to grab the base of the heat sink to push in and maneuver the bulbs into place....and yes it did take 10 minutes the second time around...first time was about 15 maybe it's because I've installed a few regualr H8 bulbs in before, trying different brands prior to the lux. Sounds like you are having some trouble lining up the tabs. Whatever the case, seems the majority of us have gotten them in without too much aggravation. The fact that you call BS on people's install times bewilders me a bit tho. Not sure why anyone would do that or even want to.

GL with your install...hoping future mods are much less time consuming for you...

You do know what smiley faces are correct?.......I am well aware that many have installed them without incident, hence my frustration.

Also, I just read how you applied pressure twisting(ie-using flathead screwdriver), now that might work...I take back everything I said about ya...
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 08:07 AM   #279
LuxAngelEyes
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by isugoo View Post
In day time, my inner rings are really bright just like LCI's but outer rings are really dark. It's not getting enough lights. Maybe 50% brightness of the inner rings in regular standing position. If I look straight to angel eyes, it seems better (maybe 80% brightness compare to inner rings).

PS- I couldn't install them myself. But a forum member (girl) did it for me. Funny.
You might want to double check that the bulbs are twisted into place all the way. If they bulb isnt facing the right direction then the outside ring will not be lit up all the way.

We did design the light to maximize the brightness to the outer ring so it should be almost as bight as the inner one. Double check yours and let me know please
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 08:58 AM   #280
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Check to see if they are in correctly. From a few feet away, my inner and outer rings are almost the same brightness.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 01:38 PM   #281
isugoo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You might want to double check that the bulbs are twisted into place all the way. If they bulb isnt facing the right direction then the outside ring will not be lit up all the way.

We did design the light to maximize the brightness to the outer ring so it should be almost as bight as the inner one. Double check yours and let me know please
I thought LUX bulbs go in only one way.
I'll double check tonite but is that possible to install bulbs in the socket wrong way but still works (installed wrong direction but still works- brighter inner ring, dimmer outer ring)?

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 01:41 PM   #282
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 + Spur, DB11, F12, X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabman5 View Post
I agree 100%!! I tried for about 30 minutes and couldn't get it in. Called my son over, his hands are much smaller, but he couldn't get it in and didnt really care to try longer that 3 minutes. I'm going to give it another shot this weekend when I have more time.
The key is to align the tabs properly. The first one took me 30min, the second was like 2 minutes.

-SZ
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 02:09 PM   #283
LuxAngelEyes
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
I thought LUX bulbs go in only one way.
I'll double check tonite but is that possible to install bulbs in the socket wrong way but still works (installed wrong direction but still works- brighter inner ring, dimmer outer ring)?
The 3 tabs on the LUX allow for it to be installed only in 1 position. Please refer to our install guide on the website because it has a few tips.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 03:33 PM   #284
Bomis
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

Quote:

+1000

EURO E92 M3 2008 6MT Interlagos ///Fully Loaded! Evolve-R ECU Flash/Gintani Sport Exhaust/MS Stg2 Intake Kit/H&R Springs/MS 18/15 mm spacers/Bmw Perf. Grills/Gloss Black side gills/LCI Tails/LUX V3's/RD license plate leds
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 05:58 PM   #285
isugoo
Major General
United_States
Rep

This is how it looks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 06:25 PM   #286
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Yeah... doesn't look right. Compare your picture to mine here where the inner and outer rings are much more uniform. Also, they look quite dim overall. Seems like something is up with them compared to most other installed pictures I've seen.

Appreciate 0