BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

02-01-2010, 02:39 PM   #243
AP Racing - Chris_B
Brake Maven
United_States
Rep
Drives: E34 540i/6, others

Quote:
Originally Posted by STALKER View Post
Kit didn't come with anything.
I was going to actually try the AP Racing PRF, but my local shop only had 2 bottles, and I was already using RBF600. Didn't want to take the chance of needing that third bottle for the flush, especially since I was already using RBF 600 on the car.
I got the day off last minute, so I did not have time to order brake fluid in advance.
Im gonna use SRF next time I think though.
The RBF600 will be fine for most people. If you ever boil it (we have on occasion on highly modified track cars) you can always move up to the AP PRF. It has better recovery properties than SRF.

The U.S. kits do not come with fluid due to shipping concerns. You cannot air freight a box with brake fluid in it, especially these days. They still get away with it in the UK, but no one has the extra time right now to take phone calls from Customs, Homeland Security, Janet Napolitano, etc.

Chris
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 02:46 PM   #244
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaypod View Post
That's good to know - sounds like you are doing a good job of bedding them.

Yeah, probably just you.... I agree with you though, square set up is probably not required. I guess depending your your driving style there may be not advantage of rotating the tires. A square set up may actually cause the rear wheels to wear much sooner being able to rotate the back end easier.
I am not sure a staggered setup helps with rear tire wear

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 04:12 PM   #245
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
I am not sure a staggered setup helps with rear tire wear
[/IMG]

But your running a SQUARE set up in that pic
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 04:15 PM   #246
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP Racing - Chris_B View Post
The RBF600 will be fine for most people. If you ever boil it (we have on occasion on highly modified track cars) you can always move up to the AP PRF. It has better recovery properties than SRF.

The U.S. kits do not come with fluid due to shipping concerns. You cannot air freight a box with brake fluid in it, especially these days. They still get away with it in the UK, but no one has the extra time right now to take phone calls from Customs, Homeland Security, Janet Napolitano, etc.

Chris
Thanks for the clarification Chris regarding the fluid. Is the AP PRF fluid available in Canada? I would be willing to give it a try over the SRF.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 04:31 PM   #247
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Quote:
But your running a SQUARE set up in that pic
Nope.255's & 265's but with the "rim protector 888's"
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 05:16 PM   #248
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Im gonna use SRF next time I think though.
That would mean 2 bottles of SRF at $70/liter bottle and you'll only be using a small portion of the second bottle? That's my concern right now. It's obviously not big mony, but it seems like a waste to dump more than 500cc of SRF when you're done.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 05:58 PM   #249
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
That would mean 2 bottles of SRF at $70/liter bottle and you'll only be using a small portion of the second bottle? That's my concern right now. It's obviously not big mony, but it seems like a waste to dump more than 500cc of SRF when you're done.
It will take almost 2 bottles. The third bottle would to flush the system, especially if you are switching fluids.
There is a link here for SRF for $50 a bottle somewhere in this thread.
      02-01-2010, 06:22 PM   #250
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Yeah, probably just you.... I agree with you though, square set up is probably not required. I guess depending your your driving style there may be not advantage of rotating the tires. A square set up may actually cause the rear wheels to wear much sooner being able to rotate the back end easier.
Well, that's kind of my point. If you push into the corners and are hard on the brakes, the fronts get pretty beat up. My rears did not wear out significantly sooner than my fronts. But I'm not drifting...
      02-02-2010, 09:50 AM   #251
gr8000
Major
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT

Thanks to all for the interesting and highly educative thread!!

Chris, whom shall I contact for more info / pricing? I am located in Europe (Athens, Greece).
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 01:08 PM   #252
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Well, that's kind of my point. If you push into the corners and are hard on the brakes, the fronts get pretty beat up. My rears did not wear out significantly sooner than my fronts. But I'm not drifting...
I ran a staggered setup last year on the oem 18's and even ran PS2's. Since I was running the OEM brake set up (fluid, pads etc), I was not hard on my brakes, my tire wear was pretty even even on a demanding track. I am considering going to a square set up this year as I will be upgrading my brakes to the AP Racing BBK and will drive the car a little harder as a result and may want to rotate the tires. Who knows though, the idea of a wider tire in the rear definitely has some merit with our cars.

I dont drift either - only when tracking in the rain with all the nannies off - have to have some fun!

You will have to try to make it to one of Gearheads track days this year!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 03:29 PM   #253
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I ran a staggered setup last year on the oem 18's and even ran PS2's. Since I was running the OEM brake set up (fluid, pads etc), I was not hard on my brakes, my tire wear was pretty even even on a demanding track. I am considering going to a square set up this year as I will be upgrading my brakes to the AP Racing BBK and will drive the car a little harder as a result and may want to rotate the tires. Who knows though, the idea of a wider tire in the rear definitely has some merit with our cars.

I dont drift either - only when tracking in the rain with all the nannies off - have to have some fun!

You will have to try to make it to one of Gearheads track days this year!
I don't use R compound tires myself yet at the track, I think Im gonna go with ADO8s this season, 265/35/18 front and 285/30/18 out back like some other members.
I use to use AD07s on my E46 M3, they were great.

AP Kit still going strong. Unfortunately its mostly just seen morning and evening traffic.
      02-02-2010, 04:28 PM   #254
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I don't use R compound tires myself yet at the track, I think Im gonna go with ADO8s this season, 265/35/18 front and 285/30/18 out back like some other members.
I use to use AD07s on my E46 M3, they were great.

AP Kit still going strong. Unfortunately its mostly just seen morning and evening traffic.
All the talk of the AP Kit is driving me crazy - cant wait until spring to get some of the new stuff on the car!

Hadnt thought of the AD08's, but that sounds like a good option. I was thinking either the RA1's or NT-05's. That way I could just swap at home and drive to the track.

You going to be in T.O. at all this summer? If you are (presuming you have your car here), you should try to coordinate it with one of the track days.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 04:50 PM   #255
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
All the talk of the AP Kit is driving me crazy - cant wait until spring to get some of the new stuff on the car!

Hadnt thought of the AD08's, but that sounds like a good option. I was thinking either the RA1's or NT-05's. That way I could just swap at home and drive to the track.

You going to be in T.O. at all this summer? If you are (presuming you have your car here), you should try to coordinate it with one of the track days.
Im in ATL, car is with me also. Im going to be down south for a while.
You should check out e46toronto.ca.
Good group of local guys and we do a lot of private track days. Good number of track junkies there.
      02-02-2010, 05:01 PM   #256
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Im in ATL, car is with me also. Im going to be down south for a while.
You should check out e46toronto.ca.
Good group of local guys and we do a lot of private track days. Good number of track junkies there.

Thanks - I will check it out!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 07:53 PM   #257
AP Racing - Chris_B
Brake Maven
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification Chris regarding the fluid. Is the AP PRF fluid available in Canada? I would be willing to give it a try over the SRF.
PRF is available world wide, but not all locations carry it on the shelf as it is priced a bit higher. If your favorite local shops can't seem to find some, PM me and I'll find someone in your area who can get it quickly.

Chris
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 07:56 PM   #258
AP Racing - Chris_B
Brake Maven
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8000 View Post
Thanks to all for the interesting and highly educative thread!!

Chris, whom shall I contact for more info / pricing? I am located in Europe (Athens, Greece).
Start with the forum vendors here as there is no authorized dealer currently in Greece. To my knowledge, any of them can ship to you.

Chris
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 08:35 PM   #259
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP Racing - Chris_B View Post
PRF is available world wide, but not all locations carry it on the shelf as it is priced a bit higher. If your favorite local shops can't seem to find some, PM me and I'll find someone in your area who can get it quickly.

Chris
Thanks Chris!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 01:18 PM   #260
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dascamel View Post
How much camber did you run Lucid?
-1.95 or so on Dinan springs and plates.

Anyway, I guess we should stop the tire/alignment talk on a brake thread.
      02-03-2010, 11:06 PM   #261
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

One question I've always wanted to ask...

Has anyone experienced pad knock back with the AP Kit on the M3?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 11:29 PM   #262
RickyBobby
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
One question I've always wanted to ask...

Has anyone experienced pad knock back with the AP Kit on the M3?
Was curious about this myself. Pad knockback was killing me on my 350Z. One benefit of single piston brakes
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 11:35 PM   #263
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyBobby View Post
Was curious about this myself. Pad knockback was killing me on my 350Z. One benefit of single piston brakes
Never had it on my 4 piston Brembos on the e46 M3.
Im guessing the chances increase with the number of pistons?
      02-03-2010, 11:40 PM   #264
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Never had it on my 4 piston Brembos on the e46 M3.
Im guessing the chances increase with the number of pistons?
It's because the caliper is now fixed. When you go through corners your discs will deflect and push away the pistons. If the 'knock back' is significant enough you will feel like your brakes aren't working until you step on them again (or more).

Single pot sliders have inherent slack built in so that you cannot really feel the knock back as much.
Appreciate 0