BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

07-31-2013, 09:59 AM   #1
Dougeefresh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 JB

Don't try this at home, EVER!

At the risk of (well, actually, pretty much guaranteed) sounding like a complete dumbass, I am going to tell you my experience last night just in case there are other idiots like me out there.

I went out to walk the dog before going to bed at around midnight and I noticed the valve caps that I received in the afternoon sitting on the counter. Oh, cool, I should put them on... but like any responsible M3 driver, I should check the tire pressure before I put them on first. I got my trusty Moroso gauge out and I was surprised to see 41 PSI in two tire (one rear and one front) AND 33 PSI in the other two (again, one rear and one front). Eh, sucks. Then I remembered, I thought I saw an air compressor in the trunk and how cool it was that BMW provided this nice tool! So I dug in and found the compressor and a black cylinder below it. I took both of them out and saw a helpful diagram on how to put them together. I thought, oh, the electronic unit and the pumping unit are separated and should be assembled together. I shook the canister and heard liquid sound inside. Oh, must the oil to lubricate the pump. I have absolutely NO IDEA why I was thinking what I was thinking. It was late and dark in the garage.
The unit also said RTFM. Again, as any self-proclaimed techy would do, I thought to myself, I don't need to read no stinking manual to operate an air compressor!

So, I assembled everything, hooked it up and starting pumping the rear tire in the driver's side. I left the door open so I don't crimp the power line from the cig adapter (so regretted doing it). Left it running for about 30 sec then thinking, it's only 3 PSI or so I need so that should do it. I started unplugging the hose and when it was off, all hell broke loose!!!
This white liquid was spraying out of the hose like a frigging firefighter's hose and everything in 10 ft radius was covered with white stuff including my now-ugly face, shoes, gym bag, the whole side of the car (I detailed the car last weekend by the way) AND the interior of the partially open door… I was SOOO PISSED!!!
It took an hour and a half to clean all the crap off. I learned that this stuff turns into rubbery mask after it dries as I was peeling it off of my face and body. Sigh…

Anyway, will this $hit do anything to the TPMS? I am thinking no as it's included as OEM from the factory…

My car is black, by the way
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 10:04 AM   #2
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

sorry about your luck, takes some balls to admit you didn't rtfm and you sprayed the goop with your compressor.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 10:08 AM   #3
lsal
We are all Longwong
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP LCI

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
Very funny!!! Thank you so much for sharing your moment of stupidity... Wish others would do so as well...
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 10:10 AM   #4
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: m

Garage List
Oh man that is going to be a really funny story one day when you aren't so pissed. At least you can admit what happened though!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 10:25 AM   #5
s65e90
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougeefresh View Post
At the risk of (well, actually, pretty much guaranteed) sounding like a complete dumbass, I am going to tell you my experience last night just in case there are other idiots like me out there.

I went out to walk the dog before going to bed at around midnight and I noticed the valve caps that I received in the afternoon sitting on the counter. Oh, cool, I should put them on... but like any responsible M3 driver, I should check the tire pressure before I put them on first. I got my trusty Moroso gauge out and I was surprised to see 41 PSI in two tire (one rear and one front) AND 33 PSI in the other two (again, one rear and one front). Eh, sucks. Then I remembered, I thought I saw an air compressor in the trunk and how cool it was that BMW provided this nice tool! So I dug in and found the compressor and a black cylinder below it. I took both of them out and saw a helpful diagram on how to put them together. I thought, oh, the electronic unit and the pumping unit are separated and should be assembled together. I shook the canister and heard liquid sound inside. Oh, must the oil to lubricate the pump. I have absolutely NO IDEA why I was thinking what I was thinking. It was late and dark in the garage.
The unit also said RTFM. Again, as any self-proclaimed techy would do, I thought to myself, I don't need to read no stinking manual to operate an air compressor!

So, I assembled everything, hooked it up and starting pumping the rear tire in the driver's side. I left the door open so I don't crimp the power line from the cig adapter (so regretted doing it). Left it running for about 30 sec then thinking, it's only 3 PSI or so I need so that should do it. I started unplugging the hose and when it was off, all hell broke loose!!!
This white liquid was spraying out of the hose like a frigging firefighter's hose and everything in 10 ft radius was covered with white stuff including my now-ugly face, shoes, gym bag, the whole side of the car (I detailed the car last weekend by the way) AND the interior of the partially open door… I was SOOO PISSED!!!
It took an hour and a half to clean all the crap off. I learned that this stuff turns into rubbery mask after it dries as I was peeling it off of my face and body. Sigh…

Anyway, will this $hit do anything to the TPMS? I am thinking no as it's included as OEM from the factory…

My car is black, by the way

still sounds like you didn't get it or understand what the stuff is for. You only need air in the tire, that other crap is for flats. Kinda silly mistake IMO
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 10:33 AM   #6
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by s65e90 View Post
still sounds like you didn't get it or understand what the stuff is for. You only need air in the tire, that other crap is for flats. Kinda silly mistake IMO
based on the mess he made, I'm going out on a limb here and say: I think he understands it now.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 10:34 AM   #7
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsal View Post
Very funny!!! Thank you so much for sharing your moment of stupidity... Wish others would do so as well...
yes lets hear more screw ups. first hauling flooring now this!

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|

Last edited by 1MOREMOD; 07-31-2013 at 10:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 10:37 AM   #8
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 10:38 AM   #9
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

next time try and get the wife to blow it up manually.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 10:58 AM   #10
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
next time try and get the wife to blow it up manually.
blow? I think you mean, next time get the wife to take the spray of the goop from the hose?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 11:24 AM   #11
Dougeefresh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
based on the mess he made, I'm going out on a limb here and say: I think he understands it now.
Uh, yeah...
Did I mention I have run-flats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
yes lets hear more screw ups. first hauling flooring now this!
Now, now, let's not kick the guy who's down.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 11:29 AM   #12
InterJon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Made my day. Thanks for the laugh.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 11:33 AM   #13
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Out of curiosity, can this thing actually be used as a regular air compressor somehow?

I basically checked in the trunk to see if the thing was there and never looked at it again. Thanks
      07-31-2013, 11:37 AM   #14
///WeissBisBlau
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘21 M5C

Dayyyyyyyum...sorry for your misfortune, man, but much respect for a guy who is willing to laugh at himself and let others laugh at...er, WITH him! AND, a sage warning for others, besides!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 11:37 AM   #15
Dougeefresh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamspeed View Post
Out of curiosity, can this thing actually be used as a regular air compressor somehow?

I basically checked in the trunk to see if the thing was there and never looked at it again. Thanks
I am going to try without the canister when I get home.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 11:38 AM   #16
Cidle
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Oh man that blows but had a good laugh......
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 11:39 AM   #17
M3AG
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lute View Post
Don’t you just hate when that happens? I practice due diligence to ensure my compressor’s goop is sprayed in only very specific areas
Me too...
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 11:53 AM   #18
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougeefresh View Post
I am going to try without the canister when I get home.
I did some googling and it looks like it's possible to just use it as a regular air compressor although there is mention of a new style and old style mobility kit
      07-31-2013, 12:01 PM   #19
Someone?
Perception is King
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

I may be going out on a limb her , But im thinkn Dougee is one of those fun, silly goofballs, and maybe Blonde, and possibly not the most mechanically inclined forum member, lol
      07-31-2013, 12:25 PM   #20
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamspeed View Post
I did some googling and it looks like it's possible to just use it as a regular air compressor although there is mention of a new style and old style mobility kit
Mine works fine to blow up the tyres...use it all the time.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 12:39 PM   #21
Dougeefresh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibmike View Post
I may be going out on a limb her , But im thinkn Dougee is one of those fun, silly goofballs, and maybe Blonde, and possibly not the most mechanically inclined forum member, lol
Well, I wouldn't say I am not mechanically inclined as I perform a lot of work on my car stopping short engine rebuild but I do goofy things like this once in a while. And, no, i am not blonde although my actions may say otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 01:08 PM   #22
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Yes it can be used as a regular compressor without the canister, but it's slow as hell and the needle on mine reads about 4 PSI higher than actual -- plus you need to overinflate to account for the air you'll lose while unscrewing the damn thing from the valve cap. So while it can be handy at the track, definitely recheck pressure with a real gauge after using it.

OP, I'm not sure tires are supposed to be run for very long after putting that goop into them even if they weren't punctured beforehand. It would definitely be rubbing salt into an open wound to have to buy a new tire (or two to balance the axle) because of this, but better safe than sorry.

Next time RTFM so you're not spraying your white goo haphazardly out of your hose everywhere at high pressure.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0