BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

European Auto Source (EAS)
View Poll Results: What to do
Get the Leather bra 7 8.33%
Keep using Road Wrap 15 17.86%
Use painters tape 16 19.05%
Just leave it alone, it's 'just' a car. 46 54.76%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

06-03-2011, 06:29 PM   #23
smmmurf
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT 353k+ miles

that looks awful
get a clear bra that goes around the whole hood (full wrap)
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 06:30 PM   #24
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle S65B40 View Post
Why not just get a clear bra and have [semi] permanent protection?
This is why:
Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
problem with a clear bra is it's always there, and as i stated, it looks like crap unless you get the whole car done (or at least the entire hood, i hate the line that you see from the clear bar....)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrad01 View Post
I just don't get the obsession with these really really ugly bra thingies that yanks have. WTF! You buy a hot looking car, you put a really really ugly thing on the front to preserve the looks of the car, which no-one can see because of the ugly thing.

If it gets a few stone chips during its life - get a touchup done - or just buy a new front end once every 5 years. Much better that suffering the embarrassing bra on your car.
Please see this:
Quote:
well i don't care if it's ugly as it'll only be on for the drive to the track, on the track, drive back, then it's off the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwosajohn View Post
The felt liner underneath traps dirt and is hard to clean. Once it gets in there, no matter how short of a time you use it for, you might as well put some fine grit sandpaper on your hood.
This is the main thing that does worry me. But would it be similar to even Road Wrap? and even painters tape? (as the edges may get loose and dirt can get in)

The part about water/rain I did not know and I appreciate the info. Info like that is why I love this forum
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 06:32 PM   #25
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smmmurf View Post
that looks awful
get a clear bra that goes around the whole hood (full wrap)
What does that run?

I mainly want something I can put on and take off.

I've never seen clear bra look 'good' on a car before

From the looks of it, I'll prly cancel it and just keep using Road Wrap as it does the job
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 06:52 PM   #26
anthony @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: R56 Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by geneatals View Post
good to go as long as you get yourself the matching outfit...

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 07:20 PM   #27
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 M4

Quote:
I appreciate everyone's responses and all... but you guys didn't actually read all of what I said did you?
i dont think they did... LOL
      06-03-2011, 08:24 PM   #28
09E92M34ME
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

ugliest thing i've ever seen. what a hideous piece of equipment
09 E92 M3,AW/FR. MODS:Performane Kidney Grills,Side Gills,Exhaust Tips,BMW Performance Pedals,359 Satin Black GTS Wheels,275/35/19R & 255/35/19F PSS's,Dinan Stage I Suspension,Macht Schnell Spacers 12mmF,5mmR,Rear Fogs,Euphoria 6k,LCI Tails,LUX v3,OEM IND Painted Alpine White CF Performance Spoiler, Front Splitters, and Front Reflectors,Gloss Black Hood Vents,M Performance Steering Wheel.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 08:31 PM   #29
mrad01
First Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW E90 M3

I didn't read all you said, I'll let you off the hook - but I stand by what I said and hope it is a warning to anyone who is actually considering it for their road car - they are FUGLY and STUPID!!!!

1990 BMW e30 325i 5MT
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 08:47 PM   #30
Seattle S65B40
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I appreciate everyone's responses and all... but you guys didn't actually read all of what I said did you?
Chee meegee baba!

Clear bra is still the best bet if you have cheddar. Put it on for two weeks then take it off. Save yourself the embarrassment for the day or two with that other thing, while at the same time driving around the car with it VIRTUALLY UNNOTICEABLE to 95% of the people you drive/park by. All while protecting front bumper (the main goal).

You could keep it on longer if you wanted too. It doesn't start to look bad until it's been on for a while (Assuming it was proper quality and installation from the outset). but if you hate it take it off. How often you gonna track?

Club 6MT
2008 E92 M3 6MT, AW/Blk Ext., brushed aluminum
2006 E46 M3 ZCP 6MT Carbon blk/blk(sold)
2001 E46 325Xi 5MT Jet Blk/Blk (sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 09:28 PM   #31
dizzyj
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: none

Ok if it's for track use then fine. No cares to be pretty at the track
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 09:37 PM   #32
m3heaven
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003.5 E46 M3

It won't work with your front lip so cancel the order. Just get your front end clear bra'd or just continue using the road wrap
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 10:24 PM   #33
skier
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is

It's so 80's - like a leisure suit and Bee Gees. Clear bra is the answer.
      06-03-2011, 10:36 PM   #34
albert1028
First Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 Space Gray M3

Quote:
I don't like the clear bras people get for the front cause you can always see the line and the line really bugs me. I've never seen it done well unless you do the entire hood etc.

Thanks
Custom clear bra installations are a must and if done well are hard to spot unless you know what to look for. Check out the best installers around and you will not notice it much.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 10:46 PM   #35
335beeeemer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335 i convertible

Wow, brings back memories of the 80s . Iroc Camero with t tops and the same leather bra. Don't do it mcfly unless you get the matching flux capacitor.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 10:51 PM   #36
skier
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is

Quote:
well i don't care if it's ugly as it'll only be on for the drive to the track, on the track, drive back, then it's off the car.

problem with a clear bra is it's always there, and as i stated, it looks like crap unless you get the whole car done (or at least the entire hood, i hate the line that you see from the clear bar....)
You don't have to wrap the entire car, just do the whole front panels if you don't like the line.
      06-03-2011, 11:25 PM   #37
m3soupy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 E90 w/DCT

If you do plan on tracking often, I recommend getting a full front wrap. There are plenty of reputable installers that do quality work. This bra or even a template cut clear bra (shows lines) will not fully protect against track tar, rubber, huge bugs, sand/dirt kicked up, etc. On the track, you will get crap past the bulge or even on the roof with elevated tracks. I got mine full frontal and picked up a bottle of TLR from Premier. The best stuff to get tar/rubber/etc off clear bra. Regular bug/tar remover wont do the job on clear bra.

Besides, you're not gonna want that bra for your track day photos
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2011, 09:34 AM   #38
htp autoworks
Private
Rep
Drives: A fast one...

Quote:

Youre concerned a bout a line and you post a picture of that bra???? Wow... I am almost at a loss for words. I would rather have a line anyday over that leather bra. Thats terrible. And by the way do the full hood and fenders and there wont be any lines.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2011, 09:38 AM   #39
htp autoworks
Private
Rep
Drives: A fast one...

Quote:
What does that run?

I mainly want something I can put on and take off.

I've never seen clear bra look 'good' on a car before

From the looks of it, I'll prly cancel it and just keep using Road Wrap as it does the job
Yo have accesss to some of the best clear bra installers in the country so I highly recommend you go talk to a few. A good clear bra install will not be visible and protect your car all of the time.

And you might want to read this about some Camaro owners that damaged their paint using Road Wrap. Really bad stuff and completely useless.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ight=road+wrap
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2011, 09:58 AM   #40
knifegun
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Full hood wrap. I would not want to be behind someone at the track with that thing. What if you mess yp and the thing falls off? I can't believe they actually make a vinyl bra for our cars. Terrible!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2011, 12:33 PM   #41
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean05 View Post
i dont think they did... LOL
You're right bro lol... and more responses afterwards showing that some didn't read everything either

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09E92M34ME View Post
ugliest thing i've ever seen. what a hideous piece of equipment
Yup it's ugly, but one is going for functionality. Are you saying painter's tape is 'beautiful'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrad01 View Post
I didn't read all you said, I'll let you off the hook - but I stand by what I said and hope it is a warning to anyone who is actually considering it for their road car - they are FUGLY and STUPID!!!!
Yes it is very ugly.... but my post isn't about using it for day to day activities.... You never noted why it's "STUPID" though; something being ugly doesn't automatically deem it stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle S65B40 View Post
Chee meegee baba!

Clear bra is still the best bet if you have cheddar. Put it on for two weeks then take it off. Save yourself the embarrassment for the day or two with that other thing, while at the same time driving around the car with it VIRTUALLY UNNOTICEABLE to 95% of the people you drive/park by. All while protecting front bumper (the main goal).

You could keep it on longer if you wanted too. It doesn't start to look bad until it's been on for a while (Assuming it was proper quality and installation from the outset). but if you hate it take it off. How often you gonna track?
Wouldn't it cost too much to get a clear bra on just to take it off?

I will track several times this summer, and bi-monthly afterwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3heaven View Post
It won't work with your front lip so cancel the order. Just get your front end clear bra'd or just continue using the road wrap
That's what I ended up doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by albert1028 View Post
Custom clear bra installations are a must and if done well are hard to spot unless you know what to look for. Check out the best installers around and you will not notice it much.
I'm the type that knows what to look for... and noticing a little or much... will nonetheless drive me nuts (this is for day to day use, not track).

My reflectors look a little off and no one can see it unless I point it out and even then they can't see it (M3post members and non-members). Yet I see it from a mile away. I'm just that type :/
I notice imperfections in clear bras all the time (even those done professional shops. Unless it's a majority of the car, then there isn't a line thus I'd be cool with it, maybe.
But paint never looks the same when you have clear bra on it..

I want something I can use for the drive to the track, at the track, back from the track, then take it off.

I do NOT want something that will be on for day to day driving as it will drive me nuts.

I probably shouldn't care so much as my car is a lease, but I guess it's in me as a prideful owner to care about the paint looking pretty .

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier View Post
You don't have to wrap the entire car, just do the whole front panels if you don't like the line.
At the next couple of meets I go to, I will check some cars out.
But may of my friends who have them, it's not 'good enough' for me :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3soupy View Post
If you do plan on tracking often, I recommend getting a full front wrap. There are plenty of reputable installers that do quality work. This bra or even a template cut clear bra (shows lines) will not fully protect against track tar, rubber, huge bugs, sand/dirt kicked up, etc. On the track, you will get crap past the bulge or even on the roof with elevated tracks. I got mine full frontal and picked up a bottle of TLR from Premier. The best stuff to get tar/rubber/etc off clear bra. Regular bug/tar remover wont do the job on clear bra.

Besides, you're not gonna want that bra for your track day photos

Thank you for a nice informative post

Track day photos are whatever now as I've got a decent amount already lol.
Though I don't mind more

Quote:
Originally Posted by htp autoworks View Post
Youre concerned a bout a line and you post a picture of that bra???? Wow... I am almost at a loss for words. I would rather have a line anyday over that leather bra. Thats terrible. And by the way do the full hood and fenders and there wont be any lines.

Why are you at a loss of words?
There is a difference between a bra that is on there 100% of the time versus a bra that is on there ONLY to drive to the track, at the track, back from the track.

Not a line that will be present 100% of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by htp autoworks View Post
Yo have accesss to some of the best clear bra installers in the country so I highly recommend you go talk to a few. A good clear bra install will not be visible and protect your car all of the time.

And you might want to read this about some Camaro owners that damaged their paint using Road Wrap. Really bad stuff and completely useless.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ight=road+wrap

I've done my research on Road Wrap. If applied correctly, it won't come off, slap around, make noise, etc etc.

I have read threads about painter's tape problems in the past, yet thousands continue to use it. It's just a huge PITA to keep putting on every damn time.
But you are right in that I should check out some more clear bra installs

Quote:
Originally Posted by knifegun View Post
Full hood wrap. I would not want to be behind someone at the track with that thing. What if you mess yp and the thing falls off? I can't believe they actually make a vinyl bra for our cars. Terrible!
I don't see how it would fall off with several hooks and whatnot. Falling off was never something I even looked at lol

I appreciate everyone for your responses, but mostly thank you to those who gave informative responses
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2011, 12:35 PM   #42
spdy330
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05 Tundra, 15 FIT, 17 CRV

Nooooo... This is so 1980's
If you will be purchasing ANY AT&T services online or in store could you mention that you were referred by me? My Employee Referral ID is eo4489. This would be a great help and it costs you nothing, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2011, 12:40 PM   #43
knifegun
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
I don't see how it would fall off with several hooks and whatnot. Falling off was never something I even looked at lol
Good point Honestly, I have gotten more dings in my paint on the freeway under normal driving than at the track. I have my hood and fenders wrapped and it looks good. I forget it is there.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2011, 01:20 PM   #44
needspeed
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 10 X5 M/05 F430/12 CTS-V Coupe

It's your car give it a shot. Who gives a crap what we think. At least you are tracking your car, which is where you will get full enjoyment out of it.

Have fun and keep it just on the pavement at high rates of speed ........Steve
05 F430 F1 - Giallo
08 BMW M3 Interlagos Blue Metallic - DCT (Traded)
Appreciate 0