BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

09-21-2007, 12:49 PM   #45
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILC32 View Post
There is no evidence the tires are not approved for the street.

If the tires are available as an option, then the test is fair. To use a "benchmark" tire for all cars is an interesting idea, but not practical for many reasons, including continually advancing technology.

If to make it fair, the Porsche has to use the exact same tires as the M even if the tires are not available from Porsche, then what else should be the same for comparison purposes to ensure fairness? Do both cars have to use the same brake pads also? The M cannot be obtained with ceramic brakes. To be fair, should the M get Porsche's brakes while the Porsche gets the M's tires?
Maybe it is I that am confused then. Since the M is not available in the states I can't attest to what tires will be available. But, from what I know Cup tires by definition are not DOT street legal tires. So, I am unaware how these tires can be available as an option.

If you were simply applying contemporary performance tires with each respective car, I would agree with you (Use whatever current tires are available as OEM), but since these tires (Cup) are not designed for the street; and certainly won't be available in the states as an option, I don't see how you can believe what you say.

As far as mentioning the options as you did, well, then consider running a C2S equipped w/ X51, PCCB (Ceramic Brake), LSD w/ 20mm suspension (All available in street trim in Europe) AND add Cup tires to the C2S. Trust me it would spank the M; it would be unfair, but it's your idea.

That 3 year old C2S without Cup tires or the LSD option has already run a 7:59.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 12:58 PM   #46
ILC32
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1993 Porsche RSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
Maybe it is I that am confused then. Since the M is not available in the states I can't attest to what tires will be available. But, from what I know Cup tires by definition are not DOT street legal tires. So, I am unaware how these tires can be available as an option.

If you were simply applying contemporary performance tires with each respective car, I would agree with you (Use whatever current tires are available as OEM), but since these tires (Cup) are not designed for the street; and certainly won't be available in the states as an option, I don't see how you can believe what you say.

As far as mentioning the options as you did, well, then consider running a C2S equipped w/ X51, PCCB (Ceramic Brake), LSD w/ 20mm suspension (All available in street trim in Europe) AND add Cup tires to the C2S. Trust me it would spank the M; it would be unfair, but it's your idea.
I am getting this information from member MarkJenz. Take a look at: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...t=82013&page=5

Pilot Sport Cup tires ARE APPROVED FOR THE STREET, by the way. From Michilin's site: "A competition-oriented summer tire that was developed directly out of knowledge gleaned from the track, Pilot® Sport Cup tires are DOT (Department of Transportation)-approved for street use. They help deliver extreme cornering power in wet and dry conditions, exceptional heat resistance, long track life, and consistent lap times. This tire is original equipment on the BMW M3 CSL, Porsche Carrera GT3 RS and optional on the Porsche Carrera GT3."

Take a look at:
http://www.michelinman.com/tires/ult...lot-sport-cup/

As to the last part of your post re:X51, etc., I do not think it would be "unfair" to compare the M with the 997S in that configuration. I am no fanboi, I agree with you that the 997S would win that contest.

EDIT: I notice you drive a 997 Turbo. Congratulations on the beautiful car!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 01:05 PM   #47
dechoong
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E60 530 Sport

Quote:
There is no evidence the tires are not approved for the street.

If the tires are available as an option, then the test is fair. To use a "benchmark" tire for all cars is an interesting idea, but not practical for many reasons, including continually advancing technology.

If to make it fair, the Porsche has to use the exact same tires as the M even if the tires are not available from Porsche, then what else should be the same for comparison purposes to ensure fairness? Do both cars have to use the same brake pads also? The M cannot be obtained with ceramic brakes. To be fair, should the M get Porsche's brakes while the Porsche gets the M's tires?
All things equal, tyres is the single biggest factor affecting performance especially on the track. A P-Zero Corsa has a much higher dry grip factor compared to P-Zero Rosso, is able to sustain its grip level at a higher temperature and maintain it thread block without disintegrating on continuous abuse (hard cornering). The Corsa also has thinner thread depth to prevent too much heat from building up at high speed runs. I would think a semi-slick like the Corsa is a good 5-7s faster over a single dry lap at the Ring compared to Rosso. But on wet surfaces, its grip threshold is much lower and you'll be slipping and sliding if you push it.

Lets not forget the C2S is 65bhp down on the M3
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 01:05 PM   #48
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am getting this information from member MarkJenz. Take a look at: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...t=82013&page=5

Pilot Sport Cup tires ARE APPROVED FOR THE STREET, by the way. From Michilin's site: "A competition-oriented summer tire that was developed directly out of knowledge gleaned from the track, Pilot® Sport Cup tires are DOT (Department of Transportation)-approved for street use. They help deliver extreme cornering power in wet and dry conditions, exceptional heat resistance, long track life, and consistent lap times. This tire is original equipment on the BMW M3 CSL, Porsche Carrera GT3 RS and optional on the Porsche Carrera GT3."

Take a look at:

As to the last part of your post re:X51, etc., I do not think it would be "unfair" to compare the M with the 997S in that configuration. I am no fanboi, I agree with you that the 997S would win that contest.

I just can't give BMW all the credit due for the lap times, given that the tires used have such a huge advantage. Tires are something so easily changed and are not really part of the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 01:19 PM   #49
ILC32
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1993 Porsche RSA

Quote:
I just can't give BMW all the credit due for the lap times, given that the tires used have such a huge advantage. Tires are something so easily changed and are not really part of the car.
Then if you are consistent and not just having trouble with the idea the M3 could have an equal or better ring time than a Porsche, it seems Porsche should not get "credit" for the time of the 997GT3 because it is equipped with cup tires?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 01:30 PM   #50
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

This particular test/time has so many uncontrolled variables to begin with that I don't see the point in arguing about tires here as long as the car that is being tested is equipped with street legal tires--ones that can be purchased at any tire store and installed on your car within 30 minutes. It's not as if they are dropping a different engine in or upgrading the suspension or something, which would be non-stock configurations. There is nothing about the tires that makes them "stock" apart from the fact that the car left the factory that way. Unlike the engine or the suspension, the tires are expected to wear out quickly, and you are expected to buy new ones--any set of street legal tires. Regardless, it would be good to have the tires used in the test documented though.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 01:31 PM   #51
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Then if you are consistent and not just having trouble with the idea the M3 could have an equal or better ring time than a Porsche, it seems Porsche should not get "credit" for the time of the 997GT3 because it is equipped with cup tires?
I might agree with that if it were compared against a car without them.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 01:34 PM   #52
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Take a look at:

Oh...thanks for the congrats on the turbo, but I sold it. I just can't get myself to edit it. The turbo was too sterile for such a fast car.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 01:38 PM   #53
dechoong
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E60 530 Sport

Quote:
The GT3 is a whole different ball game... race grade engine, suspension and if I remember correctly it comes standard with the semi-slick tyres. The upcoming CSL would be a more direct comparison.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 01:42 PM   #54
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Good rumors and good news, but not all good.

BMW insists that the car is the fastest M and if the only way it bested the M6 at 8:06 is with the tires that is just like all of the "weight savings" BMW keep mentioning for the M3. South: was the R8 8:04 on semi-race tires? Again if so this is GREAT. It is a good time either way but like devo said to make apples to apples comparisons we need a time with the regular M.P.S.s.

Anyone want to take the sub 8 minute bet I mentioned earlier with Cup+&M-DCT? It is going to be really close. This result makes me lose a bit of confidence in that prediction.
R8 ran on Pirelli P Zero Corsa. So the answer is yes, 8:04 on UHP tires.
Referring the bet: Why did you lose some confidence here, shouldn't the DCT be able to save 3 seconds? (I think that's possible)

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 02:09 PM   #55
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
Referring the bet: Why did you lose some confidence here, shouldn't the DCT be able to save 3 seconds? (I think that's possible)

Best regards, south
It should be able to save more than 3 seconds on this track. The longer the track the more time to be saved. I think.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 03:08 PM   #56
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Not sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post

Best regards, south
I still think breaking 8 with UMP+DCT is possible. My initial estimate was that DCT should be good for a full 5-10 seconds on the N'ring. However, I also thought we would be seeing low 8 minute times WITHOUT the UHP tires. Since one bullet has been removed from my gun by the tires I am only left with one bullet. Get the analogy? That is why my confidence is down just a bit.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 05:09 PM   #57
The CSL
For the love of ///M3
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Peugeot 306 XSI 16v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_me View Post
No idea. Hopefully after BS test Regarding BS it should make it in 7.57-7.58 min
Slower than the CSL on R tyres.
      09-21-2007, 11:59 PM   #58
Garrett
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
This particular test/time has so many uncontrolled variables to begin with that I don't see the point in arguing about tires here as long as the car that is being tested is equipped with street legal tires--ones that can be purchased at any tire store and installed on your car within 30 minutes. It's not as if they are dropping a different engine in or upgrading the suspension or something, which would be non-stock configurations. There is nothing about the tires that makes them "stock" apart from the fact that the car left the factory that way. Unlike the engine or the suspension, the tires are expected to wear out quickly, and you are expected to buy new ones--any set of street legal tires. Regardless, it would be good to have the tires used in the test documented though.

????

The whole point of SportAuto doing ring times is to eliminate "claimed" ring times so that everyone can see an apples-to-apples comparison. The community on a whole accepts SportAuto's ring times as the "Official" times because their scrutiny is on the level.

Your not going to send SportAuto an over boosted STI and try and fool them, they thoughoughly check the cars to make sure they are STOCK (Sport Cars are engineered with specific components, and if they come with PS2's, then that is STOCK... there is no argueing this, no interpretation and no doubt what you replace it with, anything else is not "stock") . If the ring car is sent with anything other than stock trim, there will be an * (asterik) next to the lap time when it is finally logged into the books.

Now... that said, it is most likely the 8:03 time is stock. There have been test with and without CUP tyres and ithe measures result is about a gain of 5~7 seconds.

The reason any would test with CUP tyres is to actually test the chasis and stressing their components, since those tyres give greater grip and really show off a cars chasis.

Stock time is all that matter on the Nurb track times, once you have an Official M3 stock time, then you can extrapolate other data.

-Garrett
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2007, 12:59 AM   #59
heyimsexy
Private
Rep
Drives: e36

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechoong View Post
Lets not forget the C2S is 65bhp down on the M3
and possibly $10,000 more expensive and more focused.

e92 CSL with DCT ftw
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2007, 01:06 AM   #60
heyimsexy
Private
Rep
Drives: e36

Quote:
woah woah woah, what do you mean tires arent part of the car? if it came that way from the factory it is part of the car, just like all the other parts.

sounds like a fanboy just doesnt want to see this car get a good time
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2007, 04:50 AM   #61
13eastie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
????

The whole point of SportAuto doing ring times is to eliminate "claimed" ring times so that everyone can see an apples-to-apples comparison. The community on a whole accepts SportAuto's ring times as the "Official" times because their scrutiny is on the level.

Your not going to send SportAuto an over boosted STI and try and fool them, they thoughoughly check the cars to make sure they are STOCK (Sport Cars are engineered with specific components, and if they come with PS2's, then that is STOCK... there is no argueing this, no interpretation and no doubt what you replace it with, anything else is not "stock") . If the ring car is sent with anything other than stock trim, there will be an * (asterik) next to the lap time when it is finally logged into the books.

Now... that said, it is most likely the 8:03 time is stock. There have been test with and without CUP tyres and ithe measures result is about a gain of 5~7 seconds.

The reason any would test with CUP tyres is to actually test the chasis and stressing their components, since those tyres give greater grip and really show off a cars chasis.

Stock time is all that matter on the Nurb track times, once you have an Official M3 stock time, then you can extrapolate other data.

-Garrett
+1
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2007, 07:24 AM   #62
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:

Yeah, right, you are telling me that tests of different cars in different weather conditions (wind, temp, pressure, etc.) and especially with different drivers is an apples to apples comparison!? (Don't tell me they control for the driver effect by hiring pros or something). Get real. See Bruce's post on this forum about the effect of such variables on a simple 0-60 test. Then people pick on tires and start splitting hairs as if they are the only variable here. The only way you will get a somewhat apples to apples comparison is if you test the cars back to back with the same driver although weather conditions can still vary and one car might suit the driver's style better than the other.

Quote:
Your not going to send SportAuto an over boosted STI and try and fool them, they thoughoughly check the cars to make sure they are STOCK (Sport Cars are engineered with specific components, and if they come with PS2's, then that is STOCK... there is no argueing this, no interpretation and no doubt what you replace it with, anything else is not "stock") .
Did you read what I wrote. Did I say anywhere in there that modifying the engine would not make the car non-stock? Read again why I set the tires apart from the engine: one is expected to last the lifetime of the car, the other is expected to be a variable during the lifetime of the car, and replaced within the first year for a high performance car like the M3.

Quote:
You don't need factory tires to be able to extrapolate from data if that's what you really want to do. All you need is to document whatever tires were used in the test, which is what I said in my initial post, and go from there.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2007, 11:01 AM   #63
savage.ulm1
Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: Giulia Q.

can someone be so kind to tell me the differences between the semi R tires used by the rs4 (8.09 sec at the Ring) and the Michelin sport pilot that come standard with the M3? are the semi R used by Audi similar to the Michelin sport pilot "CUP" (that eventually were used to obtain the 8.03 we are speaking in these days and we still don't know exactly) or better?Can someone confirm that really the Audi's time was made NOT with the standard tires but with these high performances tires (semi R)?
Why the other Ring time is quoted at 7,58 for the RS4? did they use carbon ceramic brakes also?could they really help at RING?
too many questions I know:-))
thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2007, 12:08 PM   #64
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyimsexy View Post
woah woah woah, what do you mean tires arent part of the car? if it came that way from the factory it is part of the car, just like all the other parts.

sounds like a fanboy just doesnt want to see this car get a good time

Let me put it this way. The tires enabled the M to achieve the lap time that it did. If it were not for the tires, it would run an 8:10-8:12. So, I stand behind my post. Anyone can add a set of tires to a car. Other options like brake upgrades etc... are another story, but tires give me a F-ing break.

Calling me a fanboy is rather childish, isn't it? Take the time to read my previous posts, where I state numerous times that I am buying one of these cars. Or, do you just respond like a childish little brat because I posted something you didn't like?!

We don't even know if these tires will be available as an option in the states.Take away the tires and the car is way off the 997S's time. That's my point.

No matter how many times someone attempts to justify times with Cup tires, these times will always be viewed with a dose of skeptism.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2007, 12:26 PM   #65
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
Yeah, right, you are telling me that tests of different cars in different weather conditions (wind, temp, pressure, etc.) and especially with different drivers is an apples to apples comparison!? (Don't tell me they control for the driver effect by hiring pros or something). Get real. See Bruce's post on this forum about the effect of such variables on a simple 0-60 test. Then people pick on tires and start splitting hairs as if they are the only variable here. The only way you will get a somewhat apples to apples comparison is if you test the cars back to back with the same driver although weather conditions can still vary and one car might suit the driver's style better than the other.
Just this: Sportauto Supertest is indeed performed by one person. Only Horst von Saurma, chief editor of Sportauto, drives the cars for this test.

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2007, 12:34 PM   #66
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep
Drives: 02 Maxima SE

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Let me put it this way. The tires enabled the M to achieve the lap time that it did. If it were not for the tires, it would run an 8:10-8:12. So, I stand behind my post. Anyone can add a set of tires to a car. Other options like brake upgrades etc... are another story, but tires give me a F-ing break.

Calling me a fanboy is rather childish, isn't it? Take the time to read my previous posts, where I state numerous times that I am buying one of these cars. Or, do you just respond like a childish little brat because I posted something you didn't like?!

We don't even know if these tires will be available as an option in the states.Take away the tires and the car is way off the 997S's time. That's my point.

No matter how many times someone attempts to justify times with Cup tires, these times will always be viewed with a dose of skeptism.
Devo, I just have to jump in here. Why do you attempt to prove your point by arguing like you are 100% sure the M3 had Cup tires? You spend alot of energy and you word your posts like the M3 had Cup tires and is therefore not that fast?
If you claim to be unbiased and all that jazz, then don't argue your point as if the M3 definately had Cup tires. We just don't know and to post otherwise is presumptuous.