BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

07-04-2007, 01:17 PM   #45
Steved
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CSL, AMG ML63, B7 RS4 Avant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romo View Post
Question for Steved;

So the engine is loud......................Now for me one off the verry few dislikes off the outgoing M3 was that it makes too much noise, especialy on the Highway/autobahn. Verry tyering IMO. Also I am not a fan off the harsh and craspy muffler sound when hitting the accelerator pedal.

Can you tell me if this also the case with the E92 M3?

How would you discribe it?
It is not 7-series quiet but about the same as the RS4, and less noisy than a 997. The good news is that there is none of the raspy noise that was so characteristic of the E46 M3, it sounds familiar on start-up but thereafter it is very different.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 01:19 PM   #46
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep
Drives: 02 Maxima SE

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
You mention that torque isn't a problem. Can you speak at all to how well/quickly the engine spins up with it's "lightened drivetrain"?
Also, very glad to hear about the exhaust noise. Love the pseudo-exotic mention. Any more detail on this would be welcome.
So, the Bamboo interior is more coffee like? That is a good thing. Was the leather supple or more rigid?
      07-04-2007, 01:23 PM   #47
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

My questions concern dealing with Idrive, Mdrive, and other electronic menus. A writer for CAR magazine stated in his article about the Mdivision that he would suggest going without Idrive and instead just use the simple Mbutton. Did you see any evidence to support this particular authors suggestion? My E92M is on order and I need to finalize my options soon. I am not an options junky and really just want to make sure I have my car setup to get the best performance the easiest way possible. Sounds like the EDC mode select with the Mbutton on is pretty easy if this is in fact a possible combo.

Jason
      07-04-2007, 01:32 PM   #48
Steved
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epacy View Post
You mention that torque isn't a problem. Can you speak at all to how well/quickly the engine spins up with it's "lightened drivetrain"?
Also, very glad to hear about the exhaust noise. Love the pseudo-exotic mention. Any more detail on this would be welcome.
So, the Bamboo interior is more coffee like? That is a good thing. Was the leather supple or more rigid?
Driving uphill around very twisty corners it was quite happy dropping no lower than 3rd, from here it would pull and pull, becoming savagely urgent from around 6000 rpm. At 8300 rpm it is still pulling strongly and I got the feeling that BMW could easily have let the rev limit be 9000 rpm if they wanted to. It spins up there much quicker than the E46 M3, and although it doesn't drive like a big-capacity engine you never really find yourself having to change down just to make rapid progress.

It sounds like a mix between a Ferrari V8 and an M5. Nothing else in BMW's range sounds anything like it, and the engine could easily be slotted into something very exotic looking and feel right at home.

The Leather was nice and soft, very good to the touch and softer than Nappa leather. I really liked Bamboo it was darker than BMW's usual beige colours but in an expensive way if you know what I mean.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 01:35 PM   #49
Steved
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEllis View Post
My questions concern dealing with Idrive, Mdrive, and other electronic menus. A writer for CAR magazine stated in his article about the Mdivision that he would suggest going without Idrive and instead just use the simple Mbutton. Did you see any evidence to support this particular authors suggestion? My E92M is on order and I need to finalize my options soon. I am not an options junky and really just want to make sure I have my car setup to get the best performance the easiest way possible. Sounds like the EDC mode select with the Mbutton on is pretty easy if this is in fact a possible combo.

Jason
Jason you can indeed just press the 'M' button and this selects a user programmable set of parameters set-up via iDrive. As I mentioned already I am still unclear how these iDrive settings fit with the 'Power' and 'EDC' buttons by the gear lever. We will be chasing some answers from BMW over the next few days.

It is a bit of a techno-feast but most of the time we just left it in the most sporty settings and didn't need to touch a thing.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 01:54 PM   #50
Steved
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Here are a few pictures of the M-drive Settings, one of the Steering Wheel and a picture showing the Bamboo Beige leather.

Overall M Settings Menu:

EDC Sub-Menu:

DSC Sub-Menu:

Power Sub-Menu:

Servotronic Steering Sub-Menu:

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 02:16 PM   #51
Steved
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

And I just knew that someone would ask me, so here is a video that I can share..

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 02:16 PM   #52
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

IRL vs. pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romo View Post
Have to disagree on the last remark; Looks wise it is definatly better IRL than on screen or picture. This not exclusive a M3 problem, also other BMW`s share the same problem; bad on pictures, IRL just fine....
Who thinks a 335i looks as fantastic in pics and in person? I know for me the difference is night and day. It is beautiful in person and I really like how all parts work together. The best pics of the 335i are only OK IMO, so I suspect the new M will be very similar. The best pics look really good to me so in person we'll see it "pop".
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 02:19 PM   #53
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

M-DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steved View Post
It is a bit less fluid, the same as a Z4M if you get the chance to try that. The clutch was reasonably light but very similar to how an E46 M3 feels.

From what I understand the M-DCT gearbox for the M3 will begin production in Spring 2008 and first deliveries for the US market will have the option of either Manual or DCT boxes.
See the post here confirming what Steve says above.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 02:19 PM   #54
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Thanks for the pics.
Any pics of the extended leather on the dash with the carbon trim?
How noticeable was the muffler? Notice any re-design in the rear bumper from previous shots?
I assume the side gills are functional? Did you feel heat escpaing from them?
You say the new M3 is just as quick as the CSL. I assume 0-60 runs feel similiar then?
      07-04-2007, 02:28 PM   #55
ILC32
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1993 Porsche RSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steved View Post
Here are a few pictures of the M-drive Settings, one of the Steering Wheel and a picture showing the Bamboo Beige leather.

Power Sub-Menu:

Servotronic Steering Sub-Menu:

What is the difference between Sport and Sport Plus?

What effect is there on the steering in these different modes? Does the rack quicken?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 02:36 PM   #56
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

?'s

OK enough replying to others... Some thanks and real questions.

Thanks so much for sharing and sharing promptly, big props to you!

Handling: How did the very quick steering ratio used feel? I'd expect it to be a big improvement over the E46 M3. In the progression of handling through the model years the M has clearly gone more GT, less sport. That change was fairly dramatic from E36 to E46. Has the E92 continued that evolution of feel or is there any recapturing of the E36 "feel"? Some of that clearly has to do with weight. Does the car feel so nimble/balanced/fast that it hides it weight well or perhaps even feels lighter than it is? Does the car have much factory dialed understeer, too much? How is the handling right on the limit, easy to control or race car sketchy? Easy or hard to drive at the limit? Is the car under tired, especially on initial max acceleration take offs? Did you bother testing the invasiveness of the traction (and other electronic) controls or just leave it full off, all the time?

Do you think the EDC offers a good way to avoid having to put a special suspension set up on the car for more serious track work, IMO if it is "good enough" it should? How comfortable is the comfort mode?

Have you read about the so called "muffler visibility problem" on this board? Was it bad/noticeable in person?

Is there a mode that actually reduces engine output ala M5? Hopefully the car does not default to this mode?

Well, I could ask questions all day but I better let others get theirs in as well. Thanks Steve, in advance for anything you can answer.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 03:11 PM   #57
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
OK enough replying to others... Some thanks and real questions.
Real questions? Sounds like swamp thinks he's the coolest cat around, again. Kind of a dig on everyone else's questions. They are relevant to them, hardly can be termed "not real".
You should know better swamp.

Quote:
Have you read about the so called "muffler visibility problem" on this board? Was it bad/noticeable in person?
I already asked this question, so does that mean I ask "real" questions?
      07-04-2007, 03:39 PM   #58
Just_me
Captain
Rep
Drives: RWD

the report is nice but after seeing the new C63 and reading driving reports I think BMW has underestimated AMG this time. M3 is a nice car and all but 420hp is weak.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 03:44 PM   #59
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Misundestanding!

Quote:
Real questions? Sounds like swamp thinks he's the coolest cat around, again. Kind of a dig on everyone else's questions. They are relevant to them, hardly can be termed "not real".
You should know better swamp.
You totally missed my point. That is not what I meant at all. What I meant was that I am done replying to other peoples comments here (kind of natural when you read through a thread well in progress) and I would actually ask some of my own questions. Note topics of my first two replies in the thread!

Easy on the insults when you totally miss the point and misinterpret what I said.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 03:48 PM   #60
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: GR Yaris GT4RS

Quote:
Who thinks a 335i looks as fantastic in pics and in person? I know for me the difference is night and day. It is beautiful in person and I really like how all parts work together. The best pics of the 335i are only OK IMO, so I suspect the new M will be very similar. The best pics look really good to me so in person we'll see it "pop".

We agree on this matter......................it was also the intention off my remark
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 04:27 PM   #61
ILC32
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1993 Porsche RSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_me View Post
the report is nice but after seeing the new C63 and reading driving reports I think BMW has underestimated AMG this time. M3 is a nice car and all but 420hp is weak.
Just_Me, that is what I was saying months ago and you talked me off the ledge. What happened?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 04:27 PM   #62
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
You totally missed my point. That is not what I meant at all. What I meant was that I am done replying to other peoples comments here (kind of natural when you read through a thread well in progress) and I would actually ask some of my own questions. Note topics of my first two replies in the thread!

Easy on the insults when you totally miss the point and misinterpret what I said.
I hardly think insults were used.
And misinterpretations aren't always the readers fault.
Anyway, I see what you are saying now. My bad.
      07-04-2007, 04:42 PM   #63
Steved
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the pics.
Any pics of the extended leather on the dash with the carbon trim?
How noticeable was the muffler? Notice any re-design in the rear bumper from previous shots?
I assume the side gills are functional? Did you feel heat escpaing from them?
You say the new M3 is just as quick as the CSL. I assume 0-60 runs feel similiar then?
Yes the muffler was noticeable, exactly as has been discussed extensively on this forum. To be honest I did not mind, and I'm sure once it gets a little dirty it would be harder to notice, but there's no denying it.

Side grills seemed aesthetic but the vents on the bonnet adjacent to the power dome are functional, well at least one of them. It seems to create negative pressure and draw more air in through the main intake.

It's hard to tell 0-60 by just the seat of your pants, but it feels quick and at least as quick as the CSL.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 04:44 PM   #64
Steved
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILC32 View Post
What is the difference between Sport and Sport Plus?

What effect is there on the steering in these different modes? Does the rack quicken?
There was so much to learn and so little time, whilst we played around with the settings some of them were hard to discern. From what I could tell the steering became more weighty in 'Sport' mode, but the rack did not quicken.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 04:48 PM   #65
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

It's cool

Quote:
I hardly think insults were used.
And misinterpretations aren't always the readers fault.
Anyway, I see what you are saying now. My bad.
Depends on if you think arrogant is an insult. Guess I do.

Agree - I totally see how my intent could have been misread.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 04:49 PM   #66
Steved
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_me View Post
Well it doesn't feel weak. I realise its hard when all you can do is stare at numbers on a page, but 420bhp feels plenty quick enough to be having a whole lot of fun.

I also own an ML63 with the same engine as the C63, although my ML has 511bhp. Now the ML feels 'slightly' quicker than the M3, but then the ML is stupidly quick. Not a lot quicker but it has the kind of acceleration that feels like nothing could keep up sometimes. The M3 feels very close to this, very dominant against other traffic and it would take something of another league above to pull rank over it. I really would not worry about the M3 feeling weak, that's not how I would describe it after driving it.
Appreciate 0