BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

03-23-2007, 07:25 PM   #1
M2002
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 330i, 16 i3 REX

M3 Engine Downshifting

Has anyone else realised in the sound clip of the v8 on the test bed in this forum http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52774 near the end when the engine starts downshifting something strange happens. Right after the downshifts and the rev blip when the clutch is re-engaged the engine starts to rev normally again for 1 second then there is a very short pause then the engine resumes slowing down again until the gear needs to be changed??
PS: In case you didnt uderstand I know the M engines usualy blip the rev each time you downshift, thats not what im talking about.

If this is something normal them please excuse me for i have no experience with M cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2007, 03:10 PM   #2
maq
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: MTA Monthly Pass

The engine doesn't downshift, the transmission does.

Sounds to me the blip didn't match the revs, causing the revs to jump once re-engaged. You can do the same when you are downshifting from 5th to 4th at 4000rpm by only blipping to 2000rpm. Bad for your clutch though...
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2007, 05:09 PM   #3
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2002 View Post
Has anyone else realised in the sound clip of the v8 on the test bed in this forum http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52774 near the end when the engine starts downshifting something strange happens. Right after the downshifts and the rev blip when the clutch is re-engaged the engine starts to rev normally again for 1 second then there is a very short pause then the engine resumes slowing down again until the gear needs to be changed??
PS: In case you didnt uderstand I know the M engines usualy blip the rev each time you downshift, thats not what im talking about.

If this is something normal them please excuse me for i have no experience with M cars.

Sounds completely normal. This doesn't sound like SMG though....it sounds like a manual tranny with someone or something doing a heel-n-toe downshift.
      03-25-2007, 02:50 AM   #4
M2002
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 330i, 16 i3 REX

Ok thanx guys now i understand it better.
Appreciate 0