BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

10-25-2010, 11:21 PM   #1
Mr.Bimmer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3 (sold)

Question Launch Control - Proper Launch?

I need to learn to how launch this car as best as I can off the line with street tires. I understand this is not a drag car

In drive mode (D5) when I go to mash the pedal right off the line, the car does it's version of a launch control. The rev's shoot up instantaneously near the redline, and then the car begins take-off, spining like crazy. No good there, don't like that.

Then I tried rolling into the gas pedal in D5. This of course did not produce what happened above, but the car just bogs bad launching this way. It's nice in the sense it's a clean launch with no spin from the tires, but it's just really sluggish taking off. Doesn't have any gusto.

Both of those methods are with DSC turned off.

Then I turned to launch control. Flag comes up, I pull the lever on the left side of my steering wheel (beneath the blinker lever) so I can launch at a lower rpm rather than the default of 5,500 rpm's or so. When I pull the lever in (towards me) nothing happens, atleast I didn't notice anything. I tried it earlier tonight and the car launched but tons and tons of spin. Am I doing something wrong in trying to adjust the rpm's for launch control?

What do you guys find is the best method to take off from a stand still?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 11:32 PM   #2
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

You might want to read the manual before you break your car
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 11:50 PM   #3
SlamMan
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ED 5/19/2010, Interlagos E90

Did you pull the right lever to drop the RPMs? I've never done it but I've read the manual and that's how it's "supposed" to work. It sounds like you're getting the launch control to work properly, just not the RPM adjustment.
      10-26-2010, 12:38 AM   #4
Mr.Bimmer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlamMan View Post
Did you pull the right lever to drop the RPMs? I've never done it but I've read the manual and that's how it's "supposed" to work. It sounds like you're getting the launch control to work properly, just not the RPM adjustment.
Exactly. It felt as if when I launched it was from 5,500rpm's. I'm going to try it again and see, maybe I was pulling the wrong right lever.
Felt good though, just spinning a little too much. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 07:13 AM   #5
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

It's the cruise control lever, not the blinker/high-beam lever. Make sure you use the right one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson92 View Post
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 07:15 AM   #6
Radiation Joe
Veni Vidi Vici
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 JB/BBe-6sp-e90

Garage List
2011 e90 M3-Sold  [8.50]
2003 RS6 - Sold  [0.00]
2009 e90 M3 - Gone  [0.00]
2003 M3 SOLD  [0.00]
old 2002  [10.00]
I couldn't get the rpm down as far as I would like when I used the lever. But then, launch control is for wheenies anyway. Learn to apply the throttle in first so that you get the launch you want.

Dinan compliment of stuff plus PF rotors and RG63s. Enough for now.
Why, yes. I am an abrasive bastard.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 07:31 AM   #7
cichlid
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 LeMans Blue (on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bimmer View Post
I need to learn to how launch this car as best as I can off the line with street tires. I understand this is not a drag car

In drive mode (D5) when I go to mash the pedal right off the line, the car does it's version of a launch control. The rev's shoot up instantaneously near the redline, and then the car begins take-off, spining like crazy. No good there, don't like that.

Then I tried rolling into the gas pedal in D5. This of course did not produce what happened above, but the car just bogs bad launching this way. It's nice in the sense it's a clean launch with no spin from the tires, but it's just really sluggish taking off. Doesn't have any gusto.

Both of those methods are with DSC turned off.

Then I turned to launch control. Flag comes up, I pull the lever on the left side of my steering wheel (beneath the blinker lever) so I can launch at a lower rpm rather than the default of 5,500 rpm's or so. When I pull the lever in (towards me) nothing happens, atleast I didn't notice anything. I tried it earlier tonight and the car launched but tons and tons of spin. Am I doing something wrong in trying to adjust the rpm's for launch control?

What do you guys find is the best method to take off from a stand still?
Try it with the "M Dynamic Mode" set, DSC off will promote spin.

If you hammer it from a stand still, the revs will shoot up to 4000, then the clutch will let out. There will be some spin/hop, but better than with DSC off. If you're quick, you can cut back the throttle some just before the clutch lets out lets out the get it closer to perfect. This kind of simulates having a manal tranny and good feet.

This has been referred to elsewhere as the "poor man's launch"
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 10:37 AM   #8
Mr.Bimmer
Lieutenant
Rep

Thank you everyone. I appreciate the help. Going to work on this later today after I'm done with work. I'll give an update.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 11:01 AM   #9
sameh
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Porsche 911S

I have been expermenting with this for the past 11000 miles. me too wanted a clean but super quick get away from a stand still. here is what I finally found to be the best.
MDM provides more libral power to rear tires than DSC so you don't get the chacking start but it also prevents excessive spinning. the key is, when you apply the throttle you have to commit to it. if your foot hesistated the car will bog, so just start and keep pushing through the initial bogging. it'll take you several attempts to get it good but again:
D5+MDM+sport plus+commit to throttle pushing through any bogging= quick, no spin, no prerevving launch. this is not the fastest you can get out of your M3 but it is the best you can do from a traffic light.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 11:24 AM   #10
ES_TRADER
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328i, 335i, M3, 535i, X5, 36M

Garage List
2014 Ford Raptor  [0.00]
2012 328i E92  [10.00]
2013 X5  [0.00]
2013 335i F30  [8.00]
1990 Toyota Previa  [0.00]
1997 E36 M3  [10.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
2011 535i  [0.00]
i didnt even know this could be done wit DCT
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 01:00 PM   #11
Mr.Bimmer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameh View Post
I have been expermenting with this for the past 11000 miles. me too wanted a clean but super quick get away from a stand still. here is what I finally found to be the best.
MDM provides more libral power to rear tires than DSC so you don't get the chacking start but it also prevents excessive spinning. the key is, when you apply the throttle you have to commit to it. if your foot hesistated the car will bog, so just start and keep pushing through the initial bogging. it'll take you several attempts to get it good but again:
D5+MDM+sport plus+commit to throttle pushing through any bogging= quick, no spin, no prerevving launch. this is not the fastest you can get out of your M3 but it is the best you can do from a traffic light.
Thank you Sameh.

Last night I was trying D5+MDM+sport plus. I was definitely getting a bog off the line. I think the commit to throttle pushing is the key to where I need to improve my off the line launch. I tried 2 methods in these settings, one was just mashing the pedal off the line like I mentioned in an earlier post but that just loads the rpm's rather high and creates a wild launch control launch with not much accuracy or traction in the launch. And the 2nd method I was easing into the throttle as I accelearted off. When you launch, are you committing 50% throttle right from the beginning(stand still) and then easing into the remaining 50% as the car accelerates? I was trying that but i was getting a bog.

This weekend I'm going to be at California Speedway. The first 60ft. is what I need to refine. If I can get a 1.9X 60ft. in this car come this Sat, I think I'll have some nice 12 sec E.T's.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 01:04 PM   #12
dibxna
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 MW F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson92 View Post
also known as 'launch control for dummies'

in all reality you really should only launch it the way the manual says.

turn off DSC - hold the right paddle in until you see the flag... floor it (while still holding the right paddle) then release the right paddle and let the car do the work. you should not be shifting on your own.

you may also want to refrain from doing this too frequently as even the manual states it can wear out the hardware much quicker and leave you with a face like this:
*56' ford f-100 truck :: NSX blue :: lowered :: custom interior :: custom audio :: colorado custom wheels*
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 01:18 PM   #13
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dibxna View Post
in all reality you really should only launch it the way the manual says.
That's preposterous. You can launch the car in anyway that gives you the desired results. Simply flooring (or feathering it) it from a stop is perfectly acceptable. It's not going cause any more wear on the car than doing an LC launch will - probably less so, in fact. Of course you don't want to go doing dozens of launches in a row, but that applies to any car.

Quote:
turn off DSC - hold the right paddle in until you see the flag... floor it (while still holding the right paddle) then release the right paddle and let the car do the work.
You neglected to mention the car must be in S6 mode. Also, since when does the LC work via the paddle? Unless there has been a software revision of some kind that I don't know about, only the stick can be used to do a launch.

Quote:
you should not be shifting on your own.
Why would that be? There is no reason you cannot shift on your own if you want. Heck, almost no one is going to have the opportunity to run through all seven gears in LC mode. There's no reason you cannot shift to a higher gear before you let off the throttle.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 01:28 PM   #14
Mr.Bimmer
Lieutenant
Rep

Good comments and info from everyone.

I just want everyone to know I created this post not to imply I'm going to launch like this from stop light to stop light seven days a week. Rather those 1 or 2 occassions where I need that excellent launch, it's there for me.

I think the LC would work really well if this car can launch at 3,000 - 4,500 rpm's. Anything behind that IMO on street tires, the car's simply going to spin. The spinning is what's going to kill my 60ft. times.

I don't think track prep will be bad this Saturday, it's usually prepped okay. The fact that I'm running street tires though is going to require using some skills off the line.

I'm going to try out the methods given to me in this post and I'll definitely share with everyone what I feel works best.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 01:45 PM   #15
sameh
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Porsche 911S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bimmer View Post
Thank you Sameh.

Last night I was trying D5+MDM+sport plus. I was definitely getting a bog off the line. I think the commit to throttle pushing is the key to where I need to improve my off the line launch. I tried 2 methods in these settings, one was just mashing the pedal off the line like I mentioned in an earlier post but that just loads the rpm's rather high and creates a wild launch control launch with not much accuracy or traction in the launch. And the 2nd method I was easing into the throttle as I accelearted off. When you launch, are you committing 50% throttle right from the beginning(stand still) and then easing into the remaining 50% as the car accelerates? I was trying that but i was getting a bog.

This weekend I'm going to be at California Speedway. The first 60ft. is what I need to refine. If I can get a 1.9X 60ft. in this car come this Sat, I think I'll have some nice 12 sec E.T's.
how much pushing and how fast is where you'll need the repeated attempts to perfect it. I can tell you though that it's NOT mashing the pedal and is not slow pushing. it's somewhere in between. and yes the first 30-50% of the throttle is somewhat fast so the car understands what you're trying to do (you know what I mean) but followed by persistant slower throttle application so you don't confuse the car thinking that you changed your mind (does this make it easier?) if you felt a little bog, it's ok push through it and the tire will "mini spin" and off you go. the small bogging is basically the little bit of the DSC that the MDM mode has built-in trying to limit power to tires that's why the throttle commitment is important so the MDM releases the power to tires and cause the mini spin. by doing this repeatdly, your foot will know when the bog is coming and you'll apply more throttle earlier for a smoother take off. we can talk all day long but practice makes it more natural to your foot. hope that's making sense to you.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 02:18 PM   #16
dibxna
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
That's preposterous. You can launch the car in anyway that gives you the desired results. Simply flooring (or feathering it) it from a stop is perfectly acceptable. It's not going cause any more wear on the car than doing an LC launch will - probably less so, in fact. Of course you don't want to go doing dozens of launches in a row, but that applies to any car.

You neglected to mention the car must be in S6 mode. Also, since when does the LC work via the paddle? Unless there has been a software revision of some kind that I don't know about, only the stick can be used to do a launch.

Why would that be? There is no reason you cannot shift on your own if you want. Heck, almost no one is going to have the opportunity to run through all seven gears in LC mode. There's no reason you cannot shift to a higher gear before you let off the throttle.
was referring to only launching in launch control mode the way the manual says. you can launch any way you want if youre not using launch control... figured common sense would take over here but i apologize if it didnt appear that way.

you are correct - s6 mode - apologize for the oversight

steps direct from the manual:

1. press brake while engine is running
2. deactivate dsc
3. select drivelogic 6
4. w/ vehicle stationary press selector lever forward and hold. flag symbol appears.
5. press accelerator down all the way - engine speed is controlled (thus my statement of not shifting on your own)
a. use the same lever to change drive-off speed by 100 rpm increments up to 500rpms
6. this whole time you will have still been holding selector lever forward and now will depress accelerator all the way down.
7. release lever and car accelerates under launch control.

i didnt realize i was putting paddles in the mix - apologies on this as paddle versus lever could make things a bit difficult to accomplish launch control properly

for the online manual visit the link already previously provided here: http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Owner/dgh.aspx

select year and make and search for 'launch control' for step by steps with a couple diagrams to help out.

thanks for catching the mistakes for me mkoesel - not really an area you want to goof up or it could lead to problems for the car.
*56' ford f-100 truck :: NSX blue :: lowered :: custom interior :: custom audio :: colorado custom wheels*
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 02:44 PM   #17
ES_TRADER
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328i, 335i, M3, 535i, X5, 36M

Garage List
2014 Ford Raptor  [0.00]
2012 328i E92  [10.00]
2013 X5  [0.00]
2013 335i F30  [8.00]
1990 Toyota Previa  [0.00]
1997 E36 M3  [10.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
2011 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
was referring to only launching in launch control mode the way the manual says. you can launch any way you want if youre not using launch control... figured common sense would take over here but i apologize if it didnt appear that way.

you are correct - s6 mode - apologize for the oversight

steps direct from the manual:

1. press brake while engine is running
2. deactivate dsc
3. select drivelogic 6
4. w/ vehicle stationary press selector lever forward and hold. flag symbol appears.
5. press accelerator down all the way - engine speed is controlled (thus my statement of not shifting on your own)
a. use the same lever to change drive-off speed by 100 rpm increments up to 500rpms
6. this whole time you will have still been holding selector lever forward and now will depress accelerator all the way down.
7. release lever and car accelerates under launch control.

i didnt realize i was putting paddles in the mix - apologies on this as paddle versus lever could make things a bit difficult to accomplish launch control properly

for the online manual visit the link already previously provided here: http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Owner/dgh.aspx

select year and make and search for 'launch control' for step by steps with a couple diagrams to help out.

thanks for catching the mistakes for me mkoesel - not really an area you want to goof up or it could lead to problems for the car.
oh man, this is soo complicated...by the time u did all this, youve already gotten smoked by ur competition and left in the dust....couldnt they just make it easier? like push 1 button and step gas to floor...done
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 02:51 PM   #18
ihyln
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3post sucks

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
I don't use LC. But like mkoesel said, what I do is stomp the gas, feather the throttle until you get traction and then apply the gas again. Don't forget to shift, it's embarrassing to hit the limiter

LC will always give wheelspin unless you have warmed up tires and the asphalt is hot. Manually launching with DCT takes some practice just like with 6MT but once you get the hang of it you'll be setup faster than going through the LC steps.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 03:03 PM   #19
dibxna
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihyln View Post
I don't use LC. But like mkoesel said, what I do is stomp the gas, feather the throttle until you get traction and then apply the gas again. Don't forget to shift, it's embarrassing to hit the limiter

LC will always give wheelspin unless you have warmed up tires and the asphalt is hot. Manually launching with DCT takes some practice just like with 6MT but once you get the hang of it you'll be setup faster than going through the LC steps.
i hit the limiter last night. made myself feel all kinds of intelligent. wasnt even trying to race. just didnt realize I was in manual mode...
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 03:35 PM   #20
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ok well, I guess I didn't interpret it that way because I didn't notice anyone talking about misusing LC anywhere. The OP seems to know how to use LC just fine, he just wasn't able to adjust the launch speed. Plus, it would be pretty tough to successfully use LC in any other way than the right way, as stated by the manual. There's not really a whole lot you can alter and still have it actually work to begin with.

Quote:
Yeah, it's true that the car will shift for you at redline, however you are perfectly safe in doing it yourself as well. You just have to remember that once you shift manually, the car will no longer automatically shift for you at redline.

Quote:
No problem, hopefully I didn't come like a d**k, I was just trying to keep the thread on track.

Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 06:01 PM   #21
dibxna
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
No problem, hopefully I didn't come like a d**k, I was just trying to keep the thread on track.

pretty hard to offend me. i do the same as you so definitely dont mind critique when presented my way.

as far as launching in LC - i have only done it 2x. I have owned the car less than 4 weeks so still getting used to its little ins and outs. so far its a fantastic car!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 06:30 PM   #22
Raustin
Cmd Chief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 DCT Sedan

Guys....you are making this way too hard. I drive my DCT all the time ready for lauch control. Not that I do it very much....but it give the overall best 'throttle-blip' downshifts in the most agressive settings. When I want all I do is tap the brake and hold the DCT shift lever forward. That gives the 'FLAG' and I'm ready to launch for maximum performace. My car works best at 4500 rpm with the PS2s. It has been over two months from my last Launch....but ready anytime I want.

Peace
Appreciate 0