BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Midwest / Rockies

01-02-2010, 08:08 PM   #1
mountainmaniac
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S

Snow question for Colorado M3 Owners

I'm contemplating 2009 or 2010 M3 sedan, and wondering if you guys could share your experiences/thoughts as to using the M3 as a daily driver in Colorado. Would it be plausible to have an M3 sedan as an only-car in Colorado, especially if I am required to drive around the state (including into the mountains) for work?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2010, 08:29 PM   #2
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

In a word, yes. I use my E90 as my only car/daily driver and love it, works great in the snow - with the right tires and common sense. I had an E46 M3 for 5 years before this car and also used it is my daily driver. I have taken the E90 into the mountains in the snow without any issues, but I have pretty aggressive snow tires on that aren't the greatest in dry conditions (very squirmy.) The biggest issue really is deep snow where you might wind up plowing with the front lip. It may depend a little on your line of work.

The way you describe your needs, I would recommend a serious dedicated snow tire like a Nokian Hakkepeliitta R (what I have), or the Bridgestone Blizzak WS-60 (or other options but it is pretty limited in sizes that fit the M.) "Performance" winters work great on the dry roads around town that we seem to have most of the time, but they give up a lot in ultimate traction on steeper grades and snow that you will see driving in the mountains.

Judging by our current ride, an M3 would be a piece of cake in winter weather!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2010, 10:04 AM   #3
Subw00er
Bates '08 Interlagos Launch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i xGC, ZL1, JCW

Add dunlop wintersports to that list (I use PA3's but the wintersports are a better snow-oriented tire, PA3 is more performance oriented). You'll be fine unless you're plowing the snow with the front. Good and safe winter driving is 90% about the winter tire choice. The M3's LSD, weight and weight balance make it nice in the snow.

Get some rubber matts too!
      01-05-2010, 04:07 PM   #4
dnvrdrvr
Captain Obvious
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 VW GTI SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by signes View Post
In a word, yes. I use my E90 as my only car/daily driver and love it, works great in the snow - with the right tires and common sense.
Agree. I've been out in all but one storm this winter and haven't had issues getting around. As long as you remember you're in a RWD car, you'll be fine. I've had more issues with OTHER drivers not being able to stop or get started than in this car. Lesson: leave plenty of room in front of you so you can pull forward when the jacka$$ behind you waits too long to brake, saves your rear-end. You probably already know that though if you're commuting in the mountains.

Quote:
The way you describe your needs, I would recommend a serious dedicated snow tire like a Nokian Hakkepeliitta R (what I have), or the Bridgestone Blizzak WS-60 (or other options but it is pretty limited in sizes that fit the M.)
I have Blizzaks on an 18" staggered setup (TireRack) and have been happy with them. I'm not planning to win any races when the weather is bad so I didn't even bother to think about "performance snows". To me, performance in that muck means getting where I want to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subw00er View Post
Get some rubber mats too!
SO glad I have these!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 11:03 AM   #5
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Do you have the WS-60? All Blizzaks not created equal...
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2010, 09:29 PM   #6
dnvrdrvr
Captain Obvious
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 VW GTI SE

Quote:
Do you have the WS-60? All Blizzaks not created equal...
Hmm... nope. LM-25 (bought them off another forum member north Denver who used them ~5K miles last winter). I've been happy with them so far tho!
Appreciate 0