BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

12-04-2008, 07:11 PM   #23
watrob
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY2022 X5 M-Sport 45e White

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by youyou View Post
Yesterday with the top down??!!!
I don't know what the weather is like in Tee Dot but in Montreal if i were to drive with the top down yesterday people would think i'm insane!! lol
That's why you have electric heated seats!

MY22 X5 M-Sport 45e White, 22"rims, Red Calipers, Ceramic Pads. Better off saying what it does not have and that's a B&O Audio System, otherwise all option boxes are ticked.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 08:24 PM   #24
youyou
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 997 C4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by watrob View Post
That's why you have electric heated seats!
Lol yup
Mind you if i had those headrest warmers like the ones in the new Mercedes SL's i might think twice
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2008, 08:34 PM   #25
Buschy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by youyou View Post
Lol yup
Mind you if i had those headrest warmers like the ones in the new Mercedes SL's i might think twice
and I may have to integrate the 09 steering wheel with heat.
      12-04-2008, 09:11 PM   #26
youyou
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 997 C4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by buschy View Post
and I may have to integrate the 09 steering wheel with heat.
Ya seriously!!!
I would definitely be into to a retrofit!!!
Is it even possible?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2008, 04:20 AM   #27
rouxeny
Living the aloha
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

I love my E93. Performance wise, I think the argument that a coupe or sedan is the more "pure" experience is legitimate, but I would counter by saying that it is rare for the "average" M3 driver to ever get a chance to drive in a situation that would make the differences apparent. I would be curious to see what percent of M3 owners ever put their cars on a track. Unfortunately, I doubt it's a majority.

So, for a small performance hit that I'll probably never see, I get all the benefits of a convertible, including most importantly, a better aural experience in regards to the engine.

If you happen to live somwhere that there's a reasonable amount of sunshine, I kind of think it's a no-brainer.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2008, 04:26 AM   #28
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by rouxeny View Post
I love my E93. Performance wise, I think the argument that a coupe or sedan is the more "pure" experience is legitimate, but I would counter by saying that it is rare for the "average" M3 driver to ever get a chance to drive in a situation that would make the differences apparent. I would be curious to see what percent of M3 owners ever put their cars on a track. Unfortunately, I doubt it's a majority.

So, for a small performance hit that I'll probably never see, I get all the benefits of a convertible, including most importantly, a better aural experience in regards to the engine.

If you happen to live somwhere that there's a reasonable amount of sunshine, I kind of think it's a no-brainer.
In Hawaii it is a no-brainer. Beautiful weather and 40 mph speed limits everywhere you go.

The extra weight of the vert is not just noticeable on a track though. Especially compared with the weight distribution of the coupe. Also, it is lacking (IMO) in the aesthetics department when the top is up. Top down, beautiful. Top up, awkward. So I think that is a reason that steers buyers in one direction or the other.

I'd bet that 5-7% of all M3 owners put their cars on the track. That is just a total guess though. I'm sure there is a poll on here about that topic, but I don't think we're very representative of the overall M3 population.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2008, 07:21 AM   #29
Buschy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
In Hawaii it is a no-brainer. Beautiful weather and 40 mph speed limits everywhere you go.

The extra weight of the vert is not just noticeable on a track though. Especially compared with the weight distribution of the coupe. Also, it is lacking (IMO) in the aesthetics department when the top is up. Top down, beautiful. Top up, awkward. So I think that is a reason that steers buyers in one direction or the other.

I'd bet that 5-7% of all M3 owners put their cars on the track. That is just a total guess though. I'm sure there is a poll on here about that topic, but I don't think we're very representative of the overall M3 population.
There is another thread on this somewhere, of course I have the vert so to you it may be biased, but I actually thing the vert looks better then the cope top up, I agree the cut lines dont look as smooth, but the overall rough looks more rugged/tough.
I actually think the sedan is the best looking of all three, but you jsut can't beat putting the top down.
      12-05-2008, 08:35 AM   #30
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by buschy View Post
There is another thread on this somewhere, of course I have the vert so to you it may be biased, but I actually thing the vert looks better then the cope top up, I agree the cut lines dont look as smooth, but the overall rough looks more rugged/tough.
I actually think the sedan is the best looking of all three, but you jsut can't beat putting the top down.
I never owned a vert, but I'm sure you're right. I think that the bottomline is that all three of these cars are amazing and that the three body styles really make sure that there is something for every taste.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2008, 08:42 AM   #31
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i/2020 R8 V10 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by revmmm View Post
That being said, did manage to drive home with the top down last night. I did get a couple of weird looks.
Your kidding me right?
it was -5 yesterday at least..it was freezing!
are you nuts! lol
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Spyder 6MT - Ascari Blue/Black
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2008, 09:00 AM   #32
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
That being said, did manage to drive home with the top down last night. I did get a couple of weird looks.
Careful operating the top at low temps. The manual gives the acceptable temp range. Probably its not good to use it too much outside the range.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2008, 09:04 AM   #33
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i/2020 R8 V10 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Careful operating the top at low temps. The manual gives the acceptable temp range. Probably its not good to use it too much outside the range.
really?
I never knew that..what could cold temps do to the roof mechanism?
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Spyder 6MT - Ascari Blue/Black
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2008, 09:08 AM   #34
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammedm3 View Post
really?
I never knew that..what could cold temps do to the roof mechanism?
Same thing cold temps can do to anything mechanical - cause undue wear and premature failure. You drivetrain has lubricant designed to mitigate this, and also heats up to operating temp quickly. The folding top doesn't have these features.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2008, 11:26 AM   #35
TheBry
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 G12 750i xDrive

Biased but Sound Advice

Mine: Jerez / Fox / M-DCT / Fully Loaded.

Get the convertible. When the first E92 M3 was announced, I was so tempted to place an order, but I waited... knowing the convertible would be less than a year behind the coupe. I'm so glad I waited. I placed my order the same week BMW announced production of the E93 M3 and took delivery in early August 2008.

You'll hear people moan and belly-ache about the added weight (and resultant performance hit) but that's a bunch of crap. Only in the most extreme situations will you feel the performance difference (between the coupe and convertible). Many E93 drivers will never (consistently) push the car to those limits. Also, it's ludicrous to compare any convertible to any coupe -- they're different beasts. Compare the E93 M3 to ANY other four-seat convertible on the market and she'll definitely hold her own when it comes to performance.

Get the convertible and don't look back. I absolutely LOVE the sound of the engine when the top's down. That's a sound and sensation our coupe brethren will never know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslide View Post
[Snip...] If gas was free and I didn't have bills to pay, I'd probably put 100+ miles per day on that car...no regrets.
I'm pretty close to that. Drive from San Francisco to Cupertino every day for work. That's a little over 90 highway miles per day. Gotta love highway 280!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMorish View Post
I don't know what squeaks people are talking about. I have a coupe and have never heard a peep from that thing!
Haven't had any trouble with my car whatsoever (knock on sycamore anthracite wood) since taking delivery. You'd think the convertible would be very squeaky given all the moving parts (three roof panels, bi-directional trunk lid, etc.) but she's as solid as a rock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curv etr View Post
Given the current barron wastelands that dealers have become, call up a dealer, say you want to drive the coupe, sedan, and convertible, back to back to help you decide which one you want. Drive them all so you'll know best.

Dealers are STRUGGGGGLING to sell cars, so use this time to demand the highest level of service and help possible.

<--big fan of m3 cab
Extremely well said, Curv Etr. Couldn't agree more. I bought my car sight-unseen (from a catalog). Got to test drive a 6MT E92 for about three minutes, then the CA insisted we head back to the dealership. Not much of a test. Given the economy, I'll bet they'll let you drive whatever you want -- however long you want.

Past: 2008 M3 (E93) naturally aspirated V8 realness!
Past: 2012 740Li (F02) M-Sport (European Delivery)
Present: 2016 750i (G12) M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2008, 06:06 PM   #36
revmmm
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3 Cab SSII

Garage List
2007 X5 4.8i  [0.00]
2008 M3 E93  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Same thing cold temps can do to anything mechanical - cause undue wear and premature failure. You drivetrain has lubricant designed to mitigate this, and also heats up to operating temp quickly. The folding top doesn't have these features.
I put the roof down in my heated garage at work and don't put it up until I get to my garage at home. I had a 325 cab for the last 6 years before the M3 and I often drove with the top down in the winter (and rain..but that is another story) and never had a problem with the mechanicals.

Yeah, I guess am a little nuts but nothing beats the fresh air on a clear night, and the heated seats do work really well.

2008 E93 M3 - SSII, 6MT, 19", EDC,...
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2008, 06:47 PM   #37
gemini330zhp
Major
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E90

With a E93 you get two m3s in one package!!!

Appreciate 0
      12-05-2008, 06:50 PM   #38
apexi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E93 M3Cab

Quote:
I put the roof down in my heated garage at work and don't put it up until I get to my garage at home. I had a 325 cab for the last 6 years before the M3 and I often drove with the top down in the winter (and rain..but that is another story) and never had a problem with the mechanicals.

Yeah, I guess am a little nuts but nothing beats the fresh air on a clear night, and the heated seats do work really well.
Yes but more importantly, you have beaches like that in Toronto??
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...31#post3743631

E93 M3 Cab
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2008, 08:16 PM   #39
JMD0977
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 GT3 and ....

All Im going to say is: I love this car, and if I could go back to when I ordered it, I would still get it. No changes.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2008, 08:28 PM   #40
revmmm
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3 Cab SSII

Garage List
2007 X5 4.8i  [0.00]
2008 M3 E93  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexi View Post
Yes but more importantly, you have beaches like that in Toronto??
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...31#post3743631
Yes, we have a bunch of beaches like this within 2 hours or less of Toronto. We have Sauble and Grand Bend ((Lake Huron), Wasaga (Georgian Bay), Sandbanks (Lake Ontario) and a few on Lake Erie as well. All white sand and fresh water. Sauble Beach and Wasaga are my favourites. Both are over 5 miles long and have 3 rows of sandbars so you can swim out pretty far.

Check out http://www.m3post.com/forums/album.php?albumid=301 for an album that I created from my pics at Sauble Beach. These were taken with a hand-held point and shot, think I need a good dSLR for next summer. Now the tough part is wait for summer again.

2008 E93 M3 - SSII, 6MT, 19", EDC,...
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2008, 08:40 PM   #41
CUD
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92

Best Car Ever

I do not regret it at all.

Loving every moment and respecting the cars performance very, very much.

Good luck with your choice.

You won't regret it !!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2008, 10:10 AM   #42
HotLap
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Vert / 535i Twin turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiebrudo View Post
According to Car and Driver 0-60 mph times (1 foot roll):

Shelby GT500 4.5 sec (coupe version, heavier convertible will be slower)

M3 E93 4.6 secs.

The biggest difference are the first 30 feet where the GT500 (or any car with lots of torque) has the advantage
Fie - I've seen different numbers for both of these cars with the M3 E93 being at 5.1 and the GT500 vert being at 4.6 and gt500 coupe being at 4.3? They will differ between the various auto rags...but that 5.4LSC V8 was a beast...power was "instant on" which is very different from the M which is higher revving and takes just a bit longer to get into it's powerband. And believe it or not, the M3 E93 is just as heavy (if not a few pounds heavier) than the GT500 vert. Glad I have the M3 vert - it's so refined and precise compared with the GT500.....
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2008, 10:22 AM   #43
HotLap
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Vert / 535i Twin turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
I never owned a vert, but I'm sure you're right. I think that the bottomline is that all three of these cars are amazing and that the three body styles really make sure that there is something for every taste.
Good point and another point I'd like to make is that after owing 4 American convertibles over the last 7 years, BMW has HANDS DOWN defeated the dreaded "Header Shake" issue...my M3 vert is ROCK SOLID compared to every other vert I've owned...there is just a bit of header shake in M drive when going over tracks, etc....but nothing compared to my other verts. As a matter of fact the header shake is such an issue on the GT500 vert that Ford has to use softer front suspension to minimize the shake! I purchased 19" aftermarket wheels/tires and had to remove them after 300 miles as their stiffer ride made the header shake unbearable...that was when I decided it was time to trade it for something more refined. I was thrilled when I drove the M3 E93 and felt how solid it was with the top down!
Appreciate 0