BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

03-31-2013, 12:20 PM   #1
zeeman335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2001 M3

Front License Plate Tow Hitch Mount

I wanted to get your opinions on the best and quickest way to install and remove a front license plate tow hitch mount kit. There are 3 that i have been looking at but I am not sure which one is the best for quick release. I would like the license plate to remain intact with the mounting plate so that there is no need to remove the license plate off first and then take the kit out. Best would be to just rotate it on or off.

From what I know, there are 3 under $100 that people have talked about on the forums:
GoMiniGo
RhoPlate
USMillWorks

I purchased the gominigo, and to be honest, i hate it. Im actually going to return it because it was a pain in the ass to put on and to remove. Too many parts, screws, washers, bolts, etc. I am NOT looking for a permanent solution, but something I can throw on for inspection or for a long drive so I dont get pulled over.

Does anyone own a Rhoplate or USMillWorks and it easy to put on and take off with the license plate attached to the mounting plate?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 12:25 PM   #2
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

I use the USMillworks and love it.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 12:27 PM   #3
Crypty
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '08 e92 M3

I just got the US Mill Works mount. It was very easy to install and I don't see how there could be any less to it. The quality is *really* impressive. I would go so far as to say the manufacturing precision and overall quality of the mount trumps that of the m3 I've attached it to
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 12:34 PM   #4
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

I personally think a side mounted plate looks really bad. Just get a nice M3 plate frame and mount it properly in the center, or just go without.

On a different, but related note, why can't car designers design the fronts of cars taking into account the need for a front plate. A front fascia can easily be designed to better integrate a front plate. Corvettes have this. The front plate space is nicely integrated into the center of the front fascia design. Doesn't look bad at all.

Is it really so hard??
      03-31-2013, 12:47 PM   #5
zeeman335
Captain
Rep

USMillWorks owners, does the license plate mount just rotate to take off? Do you need to first A)remove license plate B)then unscrew mounting plate C)Then kit will come off ?
OR
does it just rotate with the license plate attached to the mounting plate and come right out?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 12:59 PM   #6
Crypty
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeman335 View Post
USMillWorks owners, does the license plate mount just rotate to take off? Do you need to first A)remove license plate B)then unscrew mounting plate C)Then kit will come off ?
OR
does it just rotate with the license plate attached to the mounting plate and come right out?
It rotates with the plate and comes right out. Easy.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 01:07 PM   #7
zeeman335
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crypty
Quote:
OR
Crypty - thanks! Is this for the standard kit or lightened kit?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 02:27 PM   #8
Crypty
Private First Class
Rep

I got the standard one. The lightened one is 5oz lighter and 20 dollars more expensive. I think it just has big holes drilled in it instead of being solid. Meh. They both work the same way.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 05:23 PM   #9
zeeman335
Captain
Rep

Thanks! Ordering mine today. Going to return or sell my gominigo.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 07:04 PM   #10
And1M3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 MR FR/Bk

Before you order the usmillwork make sure you get the extend bolt. The standard one don't rotated off. That was the problem I had and was corrected with the extended bolt.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 07:56 PM   #11
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Usmillworks one is very good quality
      03-31-2013, 09:51 PM   #12
zeeman335
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by And1M3 View Post
Before you order the usmillwork make sure you get the extend bolt. The standard one don't rotated off. That was the problem I had and was corrected with the extended bolt.
Thanks! will do!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 02:07 AM   #13
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crypty
Quote:
OR
You know that youre supposed to loosen the four allen screws on the box that holds the ball on the usmillspec version so that you cannot rotate to take the plate off right? Just tight enough to let the plate pivot but not be taken off. Thats an awesome feature of this setup. I had the one that worked with pdc in front.

To completely remove from the car, you remove plate, tighten all four screws which connect the tow hitch to the plate frame and then rotate to loosen.

Or do i have a different version. Does yours have a pivot ball (half sphere)?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 06:43 AM   #14
curvehound
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG/SO M3

I use the Millworks as well. It was easy to install, and IMO, looks great.

I did get the lightened one, not becuase of the weight, but my recollection was that it gave more options in terms of height of mounting.

Ian
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 03:16 PM   #15
mikefromMA
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 m4

Garage List
2017 BMW m4  [0.00]
2015 428  [0.00]
Usmillworks all the way. I've had it on 5 cars, broke two bolts, contacted them via email, and shipped replacement for $12-$15. Love these guys
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 03:29 PM   #16
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

i have the RhoPlate mount. Although I've never used the Gominigo version, I imagine they're very similar in the set up. There are 4 screws that holds the plate on the bracket, 1 big screw for the interface with the towhook, and 1 for the mounting bracket to that interface.

I decided to take my RhoPlate off completely as I hated the look (I also use it for the same purpose as you, so it was not intended to be a long term mount). At least with the RhoPlate, I was able to unbolt just 2 of the plate screws and was able to access the bracket screw without having to completely disassemble the entire setup. So I only had to unscrew 4 screws. The RhoPlate now just sits on the bracket in my closest, and I think I can remount it in less than 5 mins.

just a thought...
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 11:55 AM   #17
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
You know that youre supposed to loosen the four allen screws on the box that holds the ball on the usmillspec version so that you cannot rotate to take the plate off right? Just tight enough to let the plate pivot but not be taken off. Thats an awesome feature of this setup. I had the one that worked with pdc in front.

To completely remove from the car, you remove plate, tighten all four screws which connect the tow hitch to the plate frame and then rotate to loosen.

Wait, is that what you are supposed to do? If so it makes sense because i've always felt uneasy about someone just being able to walk up and steal your license plate by easily rotating it off.

So it's possible to get it to a tightness where it's secure but not tight enough to be rotated off?

About the extended bolt, personally i prefer the shorter bolt because the plate will sit closer to your bumper. I want the thing as close to the bumper as possible without touching. The further it sticks out the worse it looks imho.
      04-02-2013, 08:04 PM   #18
Crypty
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post

I thought about doing that but didn't see it in the instructions or the install video or on the site.

Last edited by Crypty; 07-29-2013 at 09:07 AM..
Appreciate 0