BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Mporium BMW

11-05-2010, 11:35 AM   #23
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HREM3 View Post
How much will the RS5 cost?

I feel like this car is a nice alternative if you want something more exclusive. The only other option is a GT-R for the given price and its a lot harsher riding and the maintenance is ridiculous.

This may be on my radar in a year or so.
UK price around £60k
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 12:12 PM   #24
Garissimo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 4 doors, 6 gears, 8 cylinders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoshi71 View Post
And how the hell would you know if the pavement was stickier than that which was used for the Autocar test?
Gee, I don't know, maybe it was the visibly broken pavement in the Autocar test vs. the smooth black pavement in the Motor Trend test, the ZR-1 tester complaining about traction, and the ZR-1 audibly spinning well into 2nd gear that tipped me off. Any more questions?

Last edited by Garissimo; 11-05-2010 at 01:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 12:54 PM   #25
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

You know, for a crowd that constantly says they don't have an ego to soothe there is an awful lot of it going on here. Holy crap. We all already know the RS5 isn't quite up to the M3s performance, it's been beaten to death, so why are these topics still popping up? Oh yeah, ego.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 11:15 PM   #26
dasano18
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is

Autocar RS5 v. M3

Great video plus some awesome jumps.

Hope this isnt a repost
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2010, 12:06 AM   #27
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Kind of a crap comparison, IMO, to just see if the M3 can pace the RS5 and then claim the RS5 is faster because it pulls away a bit in a few spots. There were plenty of times where the M3 was on his ass, the RS5 probably slowing it down. Don't get me wrong, it's a fun video, but I just don't put any stock in their conclusion.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2010, 12:38 AM   #28
TW0929
Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 1M

+1 totally
Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
Kind of a crap comparison, IMO, to just see if the M3 can pace the RS5 and then claim the RS5 is faster because it pulls away a bit in a few spots. There were plenty of times where the M3 was on his ass, the RS5 probably slowing it down. Don't get me wrong, it's a fun video, but I just don't put any stock in their conclusion.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2010, 01:51 AM   #29
dasano18
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is

Not a good "TEST" but still pretty cool looking at the 2 cars screaming around the corners. I would like for them to both set a lap and see who is fastest without worrying about rear ending someone or clipping them because u got to close
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2010, 02:08 AM   #30
satinghostrider
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP LCI II

Well from the video, the M3 looks read badass powersliding through the corners. The RS5 appears to be well connected to the roads but I believe it's no where as satisfying to drive as the M3.

2018 F80 LCI II ZCP ///M3 Mineral White M-DCT| Sakhir Orange Interior| |M Performance Exhaust|
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2010, 02:09 AM   #31
GnokGnik
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i, 997 C2S

no surprise here, a newer platform Audi RS5 is a tiny bit faster than the dated, but incredibly smooth/fast/reliable M3.

Can't wait til the F30 M3 vs the B8 Audi RS5.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2010, 02:56 AM   #32
duk
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW/FR 6MT E92

plenty of other reviews put the m3 on top no biggie
      11-06-2010, 12:41 PM   #33
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
u cant really call this a review lol
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 12:07 AM   #34
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

review is stupid and pointless. this is reason why chris harris got so fed up with these guys and went to evo. seems like audi paid these guys to get this pointless review.

LOL i was just speculating about the chris harris part.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 04:52 AM   #35
bobbyd1961
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue

the last time i went to the audi site, i didnt see any RS5 available. what gives?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 08:42 AM   #36
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
You know, for a crowd that constantly says they don't have an ego to soothe there is an awful lot of it going on here. Holy crap. We all already know the RS5 isn't quite up to the M3s performance, it's been beaten to death, so why are these topics still popping up? Oh yeah, ego.
Pretty much the one sane post in this string.

Folks, this is pretty simple, really. These guys put the Audi in front because it's a little quicker. Trust me, it's easier to follow when you're going pretty much flat out, so the M3 might have the slightly easier job. Then, for the video piece, they made sure they got both cars more or less together, because otherwise it's boring as hell. Imagine the RS5 going by, then count one-one-thousand, two-two-thousand, to four or so, then the M3 comes by. Absolutely no drama in that type of shot.

The drivers were both very damned specific as to the Audi being slightly quicker, so for someone to say they were "wrong" is ridiculous. Furthermore, they were very specific as to just how the Audi was a little quicker - by having slightly better mid-range, and better traction coming out of slow corners. The M3 seemed to have a slight high-speed advantage, and a clear advantage going up the hill for unknown reasons, but probably because it was a high-speed section, and/or the bimmer had more optimal gearing going into that stretch.

During the run, it was clear just how hard the bimmer guy was working, because he got out of shape more than once trying to keep up.

What does this prove? Not much. The Audi is apparently an accomplished strafer of back roads, where it can make the best use of AWD and its slightly stronger mid range.

Is it quicker in a straight line? Based on currently available data, nope.

Is it a "better" handler? Based on road tester's evaluations, nope.

Does it have better steering feel? Again based on road tester's evaluations, nope. Even more than that, AWD cars suffer some loss of steering feel, period. Even God's own steering vendor, Porsche, proves that point.

Is it a viable-as-hell contender against the M3? Hell yes.

But for all those (apparently many in this forum) who suffer from fragile egos, rest assured that, on those early-Sunday-morning banzai back-road blasts, the M3 is the more entertaining ride. The Audi is more planted, but the bimmer offers any-way-you-like-it cornering attitudes.

Feel better now?

Bruce

PS - Should you come upon an RS5 during that back-road blast, and he starts getting away from you, you are both, ahem, eight-letter words ending in "holes". On the street, eight tenths is way fast enough, and in that sort of context, you'll both just have a bunch of fun before stopping for breakfast and admiring each other's rides.

In other words, relax. You've got a great ride, and so does the other guy.

Last edited by bruce.augenstein@comcast.; 11-07-2010 at 08:51 AM.. Reason: added (minor) content
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 08:54 AM   #37
vividracing
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, F30 335i, F80 M3

^^
Thanks for restoring some sanity and perspective there Bruce.

This thread started out as a nice, "let's look at a decent vid of an RS5 and an M3 being driven enthusiastically", and then it got out of hand. They're both very nice cars, and anyone who buys either one deserves respect for their good taste.

Graeme
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 01:05 PM   #38
shiggy
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 2009 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce.augenstein@comcast. View Post
Pretty much the one sane post in this string.

Folks, this is pretty simple, really. These guys put the Audi in front because it's a little quicker. Trust me, it's easier to follow when you're going pretty much flat out, so the M3 might have the slightly easier job. Then, for the video piece, they made sure they got both cars more or less together, because otherwise it's boring as hell. Imagine the RS5 going by, then count one-one-thousand, two-two-thousand, to four or so, then the M3 comes by. Absolutely no drama in that type of shot.

The drivers were both very damned specific as to the Audi being slightly quicker, so for someone to say they were "wrong" is ridiculous. Furthermore, they were very specific as to just how the Audi was a little quicker - by having slightly better mid-range, and better traction coming out of slow corners. The M3 seemed to have a slight high-speed advantage, and a clear advantage going up the hill for unknown reasons, but probably because it was a high-speed section, and/or the bimmer had more optimal gearing going into that stretch.

During the run, it was clear just how hard the bimmer guy was working, because he got out of shape more than once trying to keep up.

What does this prove? Not much. The Audi is apparently an accomplished strafer of back roads, where it can make the best use of AWD and its slightly stronger mid range.

Is it quicker in a straight line? Based on currently available data, nope.

Is it a "better" handler? Based on road tester's evaluations, nope.

Does it have better steering feel? Again based on road tester's evaluations, nope. Even more than that, AWD cars suffer some loss of steering feel, period. Even God's own steering vendor, Porsche, proves that point.

Is it a viable-as-hell contender against the M3? Hell yes.

But for all those (apparently many in this forum) who suffer from fragile egos, rest assured that, on those early-Sunday-morning banzai back-road blasts, the M3 is the more entertaining ride. The Audi is more planted, but the bimmer offers any-way-you-like-it cornering attitudes.

Feel better now?

Bruce

PS - Should you come upon an RS5 during that back-road blast, and he starts getting away from you, you are both, ahem, eight-letter words ending in "holes". On the street, eight tenths is way fast enough, and in that sort of context, you'll both just have a bunch of fun before stopping for breakfast and admiring each other's rides.

In other words, relax. You've got a great ride, and so does the other guy.
they also plow in the corners as well!
you are right to say they are BOTH great rides....but most view the RS5 as a failure. Audi had several yrs to build this car that THEY themselves called it the M3 killer.....didnt quite work out that way....it needs to loose 300 lbs and $5k....maybe Audi should go after Lexus and Infiniti...better chance there than they do with BMW...as they say....the definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
2009 Jet Black E92 M3, DCT, Nav, Novillo Leather, PDC, EDC, BBS CHR's 20", Yokohama Advan Sports Tires, Eiback Pro-Kit Springs, Dinan Pullies and Dinan Stage1 software, black grills, black side gills, alcantara shift and ebrake boot.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2010, 08:21 PM   #39
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
they also plow in the corners as well!
Gee, you think the M3 could keep up if they could make it plow in the corners as well?

Quote:
you are right to say they are BOTH great rides....but most view the RS5 as a failure...
Yes I would say most M3 fanboys view the RS5 as a failure.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2010, 01:02 AM   #40
shiggy
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 2009 M3

Quote:
Gee, you think the M3 could keep up if they could make it plow in the corners as well?

the M3 beat out of the piggy, over weight, over priced under performing RS5 in every comparo...get over it Footie!....oops...I mean Bruce.
Its not just M3 owners who think the RS5 failed at what it was created to do......it didnt dethrone the M3......as said before...Audi should focus on Lexus and or Infiniti......they must be getting tired of getting kicked in the balls!
Audi had three yrs...built the RS5 and it couldnt beat the 3 yr old M3....epic fail!

M3....best in class!...not bad for a 3 yr old car!
2009 Jet Black E92 M3, DCT, Nav, Novillo Leather, PDC, EDC, BBS CHR's 20", Yokohama Advan Sports Tires, Eiback Pro-Kit Springs, Dinan Pullies and Dinan Stage1 software, black grills, black side gills, alcantara shift and ebrake boot.

Last edited by shiggy; 11-08-2010 at 01:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2010, 02:13 AM   #41
EmjayDavis
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Batmobile

nice.. intriguing haha
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2010, 05:47 AM   #42
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Audi should focus on Lexus and or Infiniti......they must be getting tired of getting kicked in the balls!
Shig, to further your point, I'm not even sure Audi could focus on Lexus and Infiniti. Once you consider the the (estimated) price difference, who are the competitors?

2010 E92 M3|Silverstone II|M-DCT|NCSW|2MT|ZCW|ZPP|ZTP|302|507|Gas Guzzler Tax
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2010, 10:45 AM   #43
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

Quote:

please share your view on the rs5.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 09:43 AM   #44
MonteCarloM3
Banned
Uzbekistan
Rep
Drives: a shitty M3

M3 vs RS5

finally a fun head to head test real world driving with a couple of non-professionals to see what each car can do.

Last edited by MonteCarloM3; 11-09-2010 at 10:22 AM..
Appreciate 0