BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

European Auto Source (EAS)

06-04-2009, 04:37 PM   #45
spearfisher
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C6 ZO6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMorish View Post
The 2010 E63 AMG kind of reminds me of...
good one
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2009, 05:40 PM   #46
M3 vert
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F10 M5, E93 M3, '12 750ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG_C63_AMG View Post
Had to much of the Fanboy Koolaid? Coming from 3 previous BMWS (02 X5 4.6is, 03 x5 4.6is, 04 M3) I can say honestly you are completely drunk on the koolaid. If I had greater financial resources I would own a M3 as well so I could have the both of best worlds. However I can only have one and I made my choice with no regrets (aside from being on now my 3rd set of rear tires with almost 15K on the clock ). Atleast Mercedes has created some speciality/exotic cars in terms of the SLR SL65 Black Series and CLK63 Black Series. Now I know those cars are 10, 5, and 2 times the price as a M3 but still what competition in that market does BMW offer? Jeez if even a CLS63 or SL63 doesn't get your attention you have some really high standards. I would love to see if all the forum members here were given a choice to have one car, regardless of cost that BMW and Mercedes make, I'm willing to bet more people will be going with the three point star. I just don't understand how you can bash the majority of the MB product line with no real justification.
I agree, I would have gone for the SLR Roadster as my ultimate merc.

Plus some people fail to realize that the heritage and image of the 3 pointed star goes well beyond any of the mass-produced marques.
The reason is because they have made products like the old 600-series sedan of yester years, which was compared recently on topgear with the rolls royce corniche.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_600

There is a certain brand preference and attachment with the mercedes brand. Although in the recent years, the partnership with chrysler has tarnished that image somewhat, but merc has been improving since and trying to go back to its old ways of being the best.

Now, dont get me wrong. BMW and Audi also make great products. Audi has gained some of that appeal that merc has sustained for so long by launching there R8. However, to be called as perfect substitutes of each other mercedes=/= bmw or vice-versa.

Put simply both brands have an enormous portfolio, however mercedes can sell cars like the BS, SLR, 65AMG cars with stratospheric price tags, because people are willing to pay for it Mercedes can easily compete with the exotics.

BMW had a few exotics if you will.
The M1 which died off in the 70s (a one-off partneship b/w lambo) &
then the Z8 (in the early 2000s) which also died off.
BMW has the potential to develop similar exotic products and perhaps in the future it will, but at the moment it doesnt have anything to compete with BS, SLR, 65AMG series vehicles.

My 2 cents.....

P.S. I have owned several BMWs, but only 1 merc which was a R230 SL600
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2009, 05:51 PM   #47
rapistwit
Banned
Rep
Drives: GT-R, Cayenne GTS, GT3 order

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 vert View Post

P.S. I have owned several BMWs, but only 1 merc which was a R230 SL600

How did you like that SL600? I have been curious (since price and performance seem to be close) whether the quieter seemingly more refined V12 SL600 is a better vehicle than an AMG tuned loud V8 SL55 or SL63.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2009, 07:11 PM   #48
M3 vert
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F10 M5, E93 M3, '12 750ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapistwit View Post
How did you like that SL600? I have been curious (since price and performance seem to be close) whether the quieter seemingly more refined V12 SL600 is a better vehicle than an AMG tuned loud V8 SL55 or SL63.
I at the time had a choice and an open budget to consider either SL! (except ofcourse the 65...as none were available and I didnt have the funds to even justify a used 65 at that time)

The SL55 I drove for the first time felt quite nimble and made the right noises. I mean we all think that with 493bhp and 516lb/ft

then once i started the mighty V12 TT SL600, I suddenly realised that this is a wolf in sheep's clothing. definitely the sleeper of the group, with 493bhp as well but 590lb/ft torque. Its a monster off the line and actually quicker off the line too.
With Renntech's package (ECU and TCU retune) it put 625bhp and 738lbft torque. MOre then the SLR and SL65 at the time

Plus the SL600 had the likes of being a grand tourer and was very very fast, and it had the power whenever you needed it. Would overtake 20 cars at once on country roads!
In comparison to the 55 it had no lag, and its turbos were always ready. SO the supercharged V8 vs TwinTurboCharged V12, I would pick the V12 anyday.

I know yours is a black series and its tuned differently, but specific to my example SL55 vs SL600....SL600 in a heartbeat.

Now the SL63 is a new beast altogether (MCT, 6.2 L V8 etc.) and after I do a thorough test, I will make my judgement then
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2009, 08:13 PM   #49
SoreHead
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 coupe - Manual

Garage List
2009 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapistwit View Post
It's way out of my price range but since my dealer is playing nice with me (and after this gets prepped) I get to drive it. I'll probably just go around the block but it'll be the coolest 1/4 of a mile I've driven.
Can't imagine why it has the gas guzzler tax???
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2009, 08:58 PM   #50
rapistwit
Banned
Rep
Drives: GT-R, Cayenne GTS, GT3 order

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoreHead View Post
Can't imagine why it has the gas guzzler tax???
My M6 gas guzzler tax was worse.
And to think Hummer buyers don't have to pay anything.
Appreciate 0