home
E46 M3 Coupe and Convertible Forum General E46 M3 Forum

12-07-2009, 02:42 PM   #1
petay
Registered
Rep
Drives: Steel grey E46 M3, red leather

Talking Harman Kardon upgrade???

Hi, this is my first post. Just wondered if anyone could advise me on the Harman kardon stereo. I'm picking up my 03 reg m3 on saturday, and i can't wait but it doesn't have the stereo upgrade. Is the standard stereo much less in terms of quality? Would it be worth paying for the upgrade and does anyone know how much it would cost?

Any advise would be great, thanks

Last edited by petay; 12-07-2009 at 03:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2010, 10:45 AM   #2
robbieracer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Coupe

Personally I think the HK system is junk! I'm not sure what the difference is with HK vs nonHK the head unit . I thought it sounded muddy; the highs weren't crisp and clear and it also lacked the bass. The so called subwoofer is a joke. I only had the car for 3 weeks before I changed out the system. I'm still utilizing the head unit, which I think is fine, plus it matches the interior. IMO an aftermarket head unit would look out of place. I replaced the speakers/sub/amp with Focal and Zapco and I couldn't be happier.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2010, 11:09 AM   #3
robert5c
Registered
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 2003.5 BMW M3

agreed,

OP i have your car, and the HK speakers in it are junk...driver front actually went out so i'm going to look to replace them soon.

only saving grace for me is i already changed out the AMP and SUB, but i can't wait to get real speakers in there.

i'm sure its better then the reg, but even the HK upgrade is not worth the price, just use the upgrade money to by Aftermarket
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2010, 10:11 PM   #4
Talor
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 ///M3

the harmon kardon system isnt as loud as some systems but the quality is excellent atleast in my opinion. its definatly personal preference. if you want loud then go install a system on ur own
Appreciate 0