BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Mporium BMW

08-23-2010, 11:04 PM   #67
ferrari6891
the original brown guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 MBB/SO X5M Comp

Garage List
2011.75 E90 M3  [7.66]
"Almost as if the M3 has less low-end torque than the Mustang"....
duh?
2011 E90 ///M3 AW/FR
2008 E92 ///M3 IB/BLK
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 11:17 PM   #68
kjrulz
Mastermind
Rep
Drives: girls krazy

Seeing as this is Mustang's new concoction, I assume the new M3 will be the new benchmark to match up against. That Boss Mustang is probably something I'll look into in the near future.

As for now, I'm just dandy with my 400hp+ bmw 335i...
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 12:01 AM   #69
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
+1. Major Kudos to Ford.

However, I place value on fit and finish, cosmetics, etc.
The fit and finish of the 5.0 mustang is amazing. I was so surprised during my test drive.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 12:12 AM   #70
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Ford Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarris View Post
The fit and finish of the 5.0 mustang is amazing. I was so surprised during my test drive.
Agreed, everyone keeps commenting on fit and finish...and yes the M3 does have the edge here, but its 20k more money. I too was surprised on how well put together the Mustang is.

Dave
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 12:17 AM   #71
jdgamble
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18 CQM M3 - My family car

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray23 View Post
Its you
You missed an apostrophe... It's... as in "It is." Sorry, I'm a snob.
      08-24-2010, 12:32 AM   #72
330CIZHP
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 330 CI ZHP

Amazing isn't it? A sports car with a so-called "ancient" and "outdated chariot" solid axle runs neck and neck with an "ultra modern fully independent suspension" sports car in every test?

Just goes to show, the secret is always in how the chassis and suspension are tuned. Solid axle also saves weight and space. There could not be a stronger proof than this.

- Lamborghini on turbocharging
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 02:01 AM   #73
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Boss 302 is only a limited run of 50. If I get one I'd never drive it because how rare it is. Ford should mass produce it. I will buy.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 02:05 AM   #74
Chako
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I'd consider buying one if I was the sort of person that looked at my sister and thought, "Mmmmm"

(Originally quoted from Jeremy Clarkson)
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 02:17 AM   #75
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

I kinda find this test funny, Ford builds one qood car and that is it they are suddenly the premier automaker on the planet!

The M3 and Mustang GT are almost never cross shopped. I do respect that the 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 is an amazing performer and give credit where credit is due but I for one don't place all my weight on 0-60 and quarter-mile times. You see for me a car is about the total experience...... how it drives, sounds, handles, the fit and finish, the quality of the materials, how it holds up after a few years of use, etc. I doubt you will be seeing M3's piling up on Ford lots in the near future.

You see most people who think a 2011 Mustang is better than an M3 have never driven an M3. As far as the Numbers go the Mustang is better than the M3 in all but one category in this test...... but numbers don't illustrate the driving experience. Is the Mustang convertible a better car than a Rolls Royce Drop Head simply because it performs better in 0-60, quarter-mile, and braking?

A car company has to earn a reputation by building quality products over a long period of time. The Germans have been getting praise and accolades for 25 years now for delivering amazing cars that people loved to own and drive. During the time BMW has been earning the reputation they enjoy today the big three have been building crap,losing market-share, and tarnishing the good reputation they built in the 50's, 60's and 70's to the point of almost folding.

Just because Ford built a great car with the new Mustang GT 5.0, it probably won't make everyone believe every Ford car from here on in will be great...... Ford is going to have to keep this up for a long time to change peoples opinion of their brand. If Ford continues to deliver products like this for the next 5, 10, 20 years then maybe they will enjoy a reputation as a true competitor to the German marques. I guess we will have to wait and see, good job Ford but it takes a lot longer to erase a bad reputation than it takes to get one.

By The Way: One thing a Mustang owner will never get is Exclusivity..... no matter what model or colour mustang you get there are gonna be tens of thousands out their exactly like yours. That may not matter to most people but it matters to me.
      08-24-2010, 02:37 AM   #76
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
Exclusivity of the M3 in SoCal... what exclusivity?

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 02:38 AM   #77
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray23 View Post
I notice a lot Canadians are very defensive on this site.
I don't see anything defensive in that post do you???? Just stating facts!

Do you honestly think a Mustang is an equal car to the M3 in all ways??? If so we can agree to disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarris View Post
Exclusivity of the M3 in SoCal... what exclusivity?
I don't live in SoCal so I can't comment but I do know I drove from Northern Alberta to Southern Saskatchewan to Chicago to Newfoundland and I am currently in Nova Scotia. I'd say I've seen approximately 12-15 M3's (and that counts 5 days at IND..... it was a slow week I guess) in the whole 1.5 months I have been on Vacation. As for Mustang GT's I have seen in the 100's maybe 1000's. No matter how common an M3 becomes Mustangs will always out number them by a minimum of 20-1 maybe more.

Last edited by BMRLVR; 08-24-2010 at 02:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 04:50 AM   #78
e92_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 m3

Ford really stepped up the plate with the new 5.0 stang.

Talk about a close battle. Good read indeed!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 05:11 AM   #79
SnakeKiller
Private
Rep
Drives: Ford F150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Boss 302 is only a limited run of 50. If I get one I'd never drive it because how rare it is. Ford should mass produce it. I will buy.
i love this site, no ridicules bashing(camaro5)

5.0L sure is impressive, ford is taking the mustang to the next step; unlike chevy. this car are totally different and yet comparable(performance), no one will cross-shop them, but this comparo wasn't about that. it was about the performance side.

Robert, there's two Boss 302 models. the Laguna Seca variant which there will only be a limited run of 50. The LS model has recaro's(optinal on the street boss), 302R aggressive front splitter, functional Front disc-brake cooling, x brace rear seat delete , and stiffer springs and shocks.

the regular Boss 302 will be limited to, 600 to 5000 models
all models have a street version of the 302R engine, and 5 way adjustable suspension
Boss 302R Intake
Forged Pistons
Forged Con-Rods
Race-Spec Main and Rod Bearings
Sodium Filled Exhaust Valves
Hi-Lift Cams
7500 RPM Limit
CNC’d Heads
Oil Cooler
Larger Radiator
Revised Radiator Plumbing
Revised Oil Pan Baffling
Race Inspired Clutch
3.73 Axle Ratio
Finned Aluminum Diff Cover
Limited Slip Diff with carbon fiber plates (Torsen Limited Slip Available)
Quad Exhaust
makes 440hp and 380fl.lbs of torque
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 06:05 AM   #80
joseph328
Private First Class
Slovakia
Rep
Drives: 992 Turbo S , E92 M3, Audi SQ8

Don't forged , that you are paying for someone's Mustang with your tax money...

If there would be no government money , there would be no new 2011 Mustang , and if yes, how much it would have to be so it would be profitable for Ford ? 70k $ ?

It's nice they put these really low pricetags on a "sports car" .. but seriously , think about it You are donating it.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 06:06 AM   #81
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by calintexas View Post
Motortrend? I've always seen them as a second class mag (with a domestic car bias) as compared to C&D and R&T. That said, the new Mustang looks great, and the interior is much better than the first generation of 1967 Mustang copies. Sounds like it's a great car for the money.

The Mustangs still have solid rear axles, right? I just wonder how they compare to our cars on the everyday roads that we all drive on?
Regardless of how you feel about Motortrend or any other car rag, you can't dispute the methodology in this case. Both cars were evaluated on the straights and in the twisties by the same amateur and professional racers.

The knock on solid axles is really getting old. The differences may have been dramatic 20 years ago, but now there are many modern tricks to make them perform very well. Ford's obviously figured that out, and IRS alone doesn't mean much. It's how the entire platform works.
      08-24-2010, 06:14 AM   #82
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRLVR View Post
I kinda find this test funny, Ford builds one qood car and that is it they are suddenly the premier automaker on the planet!

The M3 and Mustang GT are almost never cross shopped. I do respect that the 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 is an amazing performer and give credit where credit is due but I for one don't place all my weight on 0-60 and quarter-mile times. You see for me a car is about the total experience...... how it drives, sounds, handles, the fit and finish, the quality of the materials, how it holds up after a few years of use, etc. I doubt you will be seeing M3's piling up on Ford lots in the near future.

You see most people who think a 2011 Mustang is better than an M3 have never driven an M3. As far as the Numbers go the Mustang is better than the M3 in all but one category in this test...... but numbers don't illustrate the driving experience. Is the Mustang convertible a better car than a Rolls Royce Drop Head simply because it performs better in 0-60, quarter-mile, and braking?

A car company has to earn a reputation by building quality products over a long period of time. The Germans have been getting praise and accolades for 25 years now for delivering amazing cars that people loved to own and drive. During the time BMW has been earning the reputation they enjoy today the big three have been building crap,losing market-share, and tarnishing the good reputation they built in the 50's, 60's and 70's to the point of almost folding.

Just because Ford built a great car with the new Mustang GT 5.0, it probably won't make everyone believe every Ford car from here on in will be great...... Ford is going to have to keep this up for a long time to change peoples opinion of their brand. If Ford continues to deliver products like this for the next 5, 10, 20 years then maybe they will enjoy a reputation as a true competitor to the German marques. I guess we will have to wait and see, good job Ford but it takes a lot longer to erase a bad reputation than it takes to get one.

By The Way: One thing a Mustang owner will never get is Exclusivity..... no matter what model or colour mustang you get there are gonna be tens of thousands out their exactly like yours. That may not matter to most people but it matters to me.
Perfectly stated!

What's worse is that people like my (our) parents & grandparents lived by the mantra, "BUY AMERICAN" and the US auto makers took advantage of that loyal following by consistantly delivering sub-standard garbage.

It wasn't a coincidence that all Fords started to puff smoke after 30k miles.
It wasnt a coincidence that the Buick 3.8 camshafts wore out at 45k.
It wasnt a coincidence that the door handles would rip out of the inside of the door on all GM F-bodies between the years of 1970 all the way to 1982!

It was cheaper to fuck over the customer and force them to deal with the service dept rather than re-tool the assembly line and actually produce a good car.

It should also be noted that GM service depts for decades were notorious for balking when it came to warranty issues.

I could run-on all day; I wont.

I'm happy that they are finally (maybe) getting their act together, but will it last?

2010 E92 M3|Silverstone II|M-DCT|NCSW|2MT|ZCW|ZPP|ZTP|302|507|Gas Guzzler Tax
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 06:16 AM   #83
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph328 View Post
Don't forged , that you are paying for someone's Mustang with your tax money...

If there would be no government money , there would be no new 2011 Mustang , and if yes, how much it would have to be so it would be profitable for Ford ? 70k $ ?

It's nice they put these really low pricetags on a "sports car" .. but seriously , think about it You are donating it.
Uh, I think you need to recheck your facts. Ford did not ask for, or receive, one penny of taxpayer money. GM and Chrysler were the only manufacturers to receive government aid. Ford remained fiscally solvent throughout the depths of the world-wide financial crisis.
      08-24-2010, 06:31 AM   #84
bobbyd1961
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoshi71 View Post
Perfectly stated!

What's worse is that people like my (our) parents & grandparents lived by the mantra, "BUY AMERICAN" and the US auto makers took advantage of that loyal following by consistantly delivering sub-standard garbage.

It wasnt a coincidence that the door handles would rip out of the inside of the door on all GM F-bodies between the years of 1970 all the way to 1982!

It was cheaper to fuck over the customer and force them to deal with the service dept rather than re-tool the assembly line and actually produce a good car.

It should also be noted that GM service depts for decades were notorious for balking when it came to warranty issues.

I'm happy that they are finally (maybe) getting their act together, but will it last?
this is exactly why i wont buy a performance american car. when will the breakdowns start ? thats the fear. i had a 1984 new vette that was the 2nd to worst car i ever had regarding reliability. the worst ever was alfa romeo. dont ever buy an alfa when they return to usa
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 06:35 AM   #85
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoshi71 View Post
Perfectly stated!

No so perfectly stated for a number of reasons. It wasn't just about 1/4 mile times, it was a full-spectrum test.

In addition, BMW's quality and reliability have been quite uneven during various periods over the last 25 years. The two biggest lemons I ever owned were both BMWs (1998 528 and 2002 745). The 5-series lived half-time at the dealership for endless electrical gremlins, and the 7-series suffered similar maladies, and tossed in an engine failure at 14K miles for good measure. Both were buy-backs, and I left BMW for many years until I came back for the M3. That experience has been good.
      08-24-2010, 06:45 AM   #86
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by foosh View Post
No so perfectly stated for a number of reasons. It wasn't just about 1/4 mile times, it was a full-spectrum test.

In addition, BMW's quality and reliability have been quite uneven during various periods over the last 25 years. The two biggest lemons I ever owned were both BMWs (1998 528 and 2002 745). The 5-series lived half-time at the dealership for endless electrical gremlins, and the 7-series suffered similar maladies, and tossed in an engine failure at 14K miles for good measure. Both were buy-backs, and I left BMW for many years until I came back for the M3. That experience has been good.
I'm certainly not saying that BMW is without blemish. All manufacturers have issues. What's more, no matter how good a company's reputation is, examples like yours always happen.

However, do you really think for a second that BMW has had as many issues with their product line as Ford, GM and Chrysler? Not even close.
And I dont mean on a volume basis, I mean on a percentage basis. Not even close.

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 06:48 AM   #87
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Who said that? Sound's like you're getting a little insecure.

Quote:
The M3 and Mustang GT are almost never cross shopped.
Really, and you know this how? They will be now. My friend just sold his e92 M3 for a Raptor.

Quote:
You see most people who think a 2011 Mustang is better than an M3 have never driven an M3.
And you got this info from where? Obviously if they care\know enough to compare the two, they would most likely test both right?

Quote:
So you said it yourself Ford built great cars. Did they reign for the last 50 years straight? No. Do you think BMW will? Trust me, Ford has built memories and a fond following. I still love the 89 5.0. And lets not discuss the 60's.
Don't forget that BMW will NEVER build a boy racer track car for North America. They already stated this numerous times. So air conditioning, 20 airbags, satelite radio, heated seats, moonroofs, will be the norm. We can't even get cloth seats! And did you read the review of the GTS? You're telling me BMW is advancing in cars that enthusiasts love? E30 anyone?

Quote:
Just because Ford built a great car with the new Mustang GT 5.0, it probably won't make everyone believe every Ford car from here on in will be great......
Again, you're the only one saying this.

Quote:
By The Way: One thing a Mustang owner will never get is Exclusivity.....
Well, I have a 1 series, so.......I gues I'm ten times more exclusive than you lol. (I don't really care about that fact, I just stated that because I thought it would make you smile )

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2010, 07:05 AM   #88
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGoneRogue View Post
I still love the 89 5.0.
1989 5.0 Huh? Lovable car with the exception of 3rd gear.

The Rustangs used to be lined-up down the block to get the ol' Borg Warner T-5 3rd gear swapped out.

Appreciate 0