BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

12-29-2012, 03:18 PM   #1
NAV8TT
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 ///M3 E92 DCT ZCP

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the M3 world. Just got my new 2013 M3 coupe CP after trading in an F30. I have the DCT. The car is amazing, love it, love it, love it.

Just going through the user manual and reading about all the setting for the M mode.

Here is what I did:

Drivelogic: D5
EDC: Sport
DSC: MDM (but thinking of changing it to On?)
POWER: Sport plus
Servotronic: Sport
Shift lights: On (they never came on but I understood that I have to be driving above 6000 rpms for them to come on)

What do you guys think about these settings and any change suggestions and why.

Cheers
      12-29-2012, 03:31 PM   #2
AshyLarryMP
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 MW E92 ZCP DCT

You only need the shift lights when you are in manual. You can shift to the lowest available gear by pressing the paddle shifter down and wot the gas pedal. Then when the shift lights come up you have to remember to up shift.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 03:36 PM   #3
p-streets
M3NTAL
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 M3

I was the same way at first with the MDM but once I felt comfortable with the beast MDM mode is not bad at all all u get is a little more wheel spin and play room but will still kick in if car gets to crazy for you. Learned that the scary way lol but very fun in a safe location
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 04:56 PM   #4
Class-of-2016
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

OP - I think MDM is great for the track, but for daily driving, I've heard too many stories where people lose it for a moment and are sorry they did. But if you're using the M button mainly for the track or during an occasion where you're comfortable in kicking out the car a bit, and can control it, then MDM could be fine.

In actuality MDM will catch you to certain extent, but the way you react during that "moment" might be too much for MDM to correct. Full DSC ON intervenes so early that you'd have to be a complete loon to really make the car lose control.

Last edited by Class-of-2016; 12-30-2012 at 07:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 12:18 AM   #5
M4Now!
Captain
Rep
Drives: MG / SO F83

Think my settings are S5, and Normal (think it was a Motor Trend article that recommended that because of the range of adjustment?). Everything else is the same.

BUT - MDM is a good choice for me in good conditions, because it's only mildly intrusive, but will help save you on the street if you run into sub-optimal conditions on a spirited drive (e.g. gravel on a fast corner). I don't turn DSC off unless I'm on a track where I know the surface is good. Your mileage may vary...

AND, I don't turn MDM on in the rain, simply because as a DD, I'm happy to let the M save itself if a moment's inattention creates something bad. Bundling into a tree because I'm on a conference call with Taipei and go into a corner harder than normal with no safeguards isn't high on the list of priorities...

Cheers

Bye bye E93 M3 - Hello F83 M4!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 04:43 AM   #6
MRSSIIM3
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 SO

S5, MDM, Comfort, Sport Power, Servotronic Sport, Shift Lights ON
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 05:34 AM   #7
sensi09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: .

Same as the OP, but S5 and power in Sport. Sport plus can get be a little touchy at low speeds.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 06:30 AM   #8
NAV8TT
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Now!
Think my settings are S5, and Normal (think it was a Motor Trend article that recommended that because of the range of adjustment?). Everything else is the same.

BUT - MDM is a good choice for me in good conditions, because it's only mildly intrusive, but will help save you on the street if you run into sub-optimal conditions on a spirited drive (e.g. gravel on a fast corner). I don't turn DSC off unless I'm on a track where I know the surface is good. Your mileage may vary...

AND, I don't turn MDM on in the rain, simply because as a DD, I'm happy to let the M save itself if a moment's inattention creates something bad. Bundling into a tree because I'm on a conference call with Taipei and go into a corner harder than normal with no safeguards isn't high on the list of priorities...

Cheers
So the difference between S5 and D5 is more than sequential shifting as oppose to automatic shifting?
      12-30-2012, 07:31 AM   #9
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
My settings:

Default (Daily Drive)
DSC: On
DCT: S2 (or D2 when in heavy trafic)
Power: Normal
EDC: Comfort
Servotronic: Normal
Shift Lights: Off

M-mode (Spirited Street)
DSC: MDM
DCT: S5
Power: Sport
EDC: Normal
Shift Lights: On

M-mode (Track)
DSC: Off
DCT: S6
EDC: Sport (or Normal on bumpy tracks)

MDM is perfectly safe for the street. It allows slight wheel spin for efficient brisk launches and allows only very slight lateral slip before it intervenes. I actually use it in heavy snow, as it provided better traction compared to full DSC.

As for Sport+ for the Power setting, I find it much too sensitive, almost like an on-off switch.

Last edited by CanAutM3; 12-30-2012 at 12:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 07:41 AM   #10
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Now! View Post

Cheers
Now that is irresponsible . If you can't focus on driving safely, give up the phone.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 09:32 AM   #11
M4Now!
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Now that is irresponsible . If you can't focus on driving safely, give up the phone.
Thanks for one of the dumbest comments I've seen on the forum

If your belief is that you pay 100% attention to driving all of the time, I suggest you review reality. I do indeed focus on driving safely, but we all face distractions and moments of inattention during normal driving. Unless you can tell me you never listen to the stereo, don't make any calls, and don't talk to any passengers, you face the same challenges. My point is simply that the electronic safeguards exist for a reason, and inclement weather calls for more caution.

Peace

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 09:41 AM   #12
M4Now!
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONE-77 View Post
So the difference between S5 and D5 is more than sequential shifting as oppose to automatic shifting?
No, think that's the only difference between S and D, until you get to S6 (not available in D).

Cheers

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 09:58 AM   #13
s14_kev
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, E30 M3

DSC: MDM
DCT: S5
EDC: Normal

My track settings are exactly the same except I switch Power to normal and EDC to sport. Anyone else use normal power for the track? I find that the throttle feel is better because it is linear.

I've only done 2 track days so I'm sure that as I am more comfortable with the car I will turn DSC off and use S6..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 11:26 AM   #14
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Now! View Post
Thanks for one of the dumbest comments I've seen on the forum

If your belief is that you pay 100% attention to driving all of the time, I suggest you review reality. I do indeed focus on driving safely, but we all face distractions and moments of inattention during normal driving. Unless you can tell me you never listen to the stereo, don't make any calls, and don't talk to any passengers, you face the same challenges. My point is simply that the electronic safeguards exist for a reason, and inclement weather calls for more caution.

Peace
Is it really ??

It is just that I see way too many people doing other stuff while they are driving. Most drive like idiots while doing so.

Driving is a very complex task, and in my humble opinion deserves ones full attention. The electronic nannies will not save you if you are distracted.

Last edited by CanAutM3; 12-30-2012 at 11:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 11:38 AM   #15
Ozam
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 (e90)

Generally speaking how often does the average e9X driver activate the M settings or do they leave it in M mode?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 11:42 AM   #16
s14_kev
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, E30 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozam View Post
Generally speaking how often does the average e9X driver activate the M settings or do they leave it in M mode?
I only use it on spirited drives, track days, or if I get bored. Usually I just put it in S4 for daily driving because downshifting in S3 is dreadfully slow.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 11:47 AM   #17
NAV8TT
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozam
Some people I know will hit that M button the moment they get in the car
      12-30-2012, 11:59 AM   #18
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozam View Post
Not sure I get your question...

In my understanding, the M-mode is activated when you press the M-button on the steering wheel. The M-mode settings can be programmed to suit your own preferences.

In the i-drive, under M-settings, you can also adjust the default start-up settings of some parameters (Servotronic, EDC, Power and shift lights).

In my case, I mostly drive with the default settings on my daily drive. I engage M-mode when I want to romp or have fun .

Last edited by CanAutM3; 12-30-2012 at 12:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 04:08 PM   #19
Ozam
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 (e90)

The responses are exactly what I wanted to know! i.e. that most turn on their "M" setting for a more spirited ride...but not necessarily for their daily drive mode.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 06:50 PM   #20
IL8Apex
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3, 1999 E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin///mlee View Post

My track settings are exactly the same except I switch Power to normal and EDC to sport. Anyone else use normal power for the track? I find that the throttle feel is better because it is linear.

I've only done 2 track days so I'm sure that as I am more comfortable with the car I will turn DSC off and use S6..
I use normal throttle for the track. Definitely more linear. MDM is still too intrusive for track use, the Euro MDM apparently allows for more play.

However, I do recommend track novices leave traction control ON at all times.
      12-31-2012, 03:39 AM   #21
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post

It is just that I see way too many people doing other stuff while they are driving. Most drive like idiots while doing so.

Driving is a very complex task, and in my humble opinion deserves ones full attention.
You are of course correct...mobile phone use during driving is high risk and is cited in a significant number (~20%) of fatal and non fatal distraction accidents.
Some studies put you at 4 times more likely to have an accident while talking on a mobile phone with reaction times on a par with driving under the influence of alcohol.
Appreciate 0