BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

01-16-2014, 08:30 AM   #45
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjork_duf View Post
So I think the original spirit of this post was not taken how I intended. It's probably due to the fact that I didn't choose my words properly. [...........]
Now I see what you mean...well back in the day when you bought a high powered car that had no T/C or stability control you learnt to drive it a little bit faster ever time you pushed it, until months later you had a decent idea of where you were at.
The problem with driving with all the nannies on and pushing hard is that the stability control is making corrections all the time that you hardly notice.
Go from that level of support to DSC off is likely to give a surprise...at least in MDM (EuroMDM in my case) if you overcook it there is still a half decent chance that you will get away with it.
Usually if you have to ask the question then the answer is pretty much always leave DSC on...however if you have the skills and are prepared to make the investment in time in learning the car with DSC off then go for it. Except maybe in the wet.
Me I'm in MDM in the dry most of the time but pretty much never in the wet unless I'm mucking about trying to drift a bit.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 01:48 PM   #46
grantmax
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshyLarryMP View Post
If you have to ask then it's definitely not a good idea.

If you screw up there your car is totaled. Find a safer area where if you mess up you will probably just do some minor damage.
OP is long gone.

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2014, 03:38 PM   #47
Craigy
Sporty Puristic 6
Rep
Drives: '09 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjork_duf View Post
Well if I apply the logic of the other guys here, you must be a mass murdering psychopath.
Yeah probably pretty close to the truth...
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2014, 12:31 PM   #48
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKE_M3
Easy, use MDM unless the throttle is getting interrupted frequently, then slow down and turn it all off and build your speed slowly as you build your confidence. If you feel uncomfortable at slower speeds with it off, you are probably not ready to drive nanny free.

I personally feel MDM is far too conservative, interrupting way too much. I still use it on the track sometimes, but more as a safety net, since speeds are so much higher (my home track is Road America where 140+ mph is achieved on three separate straights).
Yeah but i dont think this is something to do in the city. This answer given to you is most likely a track situation.
Appreciate 0