BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Video + PC Gaming / Computing

Mporium BMW

06-21-2008, 03:47 AM   #1
LaYzEe
Major
Rep
Drives: AW E92 335i

Help! PS3 to HDMI PC Monitor

Alright, I read a few AV/PS3/PC threads about how to connect a PS3 to a PC monitor but im still clueless with everything.

I want my configuration like this:

I want to use the PS3 on my PC monitor when i wanna play it. But i also wanna use my monitor for, of course, when i wanna use the pc. Is there a switchbox that i have to buy? I also have a 5.1 audio for my PC and would like to use that when im play the PS3. So what adapters, HDMI to DVI, AV cables, etc do i need?
      06-21-2008, 09:34 AM   #2
jaaz
CArbon BlAck
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 35i SAV

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaYzEe View Post
Alright, I read a few AV/PS3/PC threads about how to connect a PS3 to a PC monitor but im still clueless with everything.

I want my configuration like this:

I want to use the PS3 on my PC monitor when i wanna play it. But i also wanna use my monitor for, of course, when i wanna use the pc. Is there a switchbox that i have to buy? I also have a 5.1 audio for my PC and would like to use that when im play the PS3. So what adapters, HDMI to DVI, AV cables, etc do i need?
What type of inputs and how many does your PC monitor have? You will need two HDMI or DVI inputs to connect both your PC and the PS3. If not, you will need a switchbox, but be warned, as of a year or so ago, they were still quite expensive and you lost some quality. In some cases, it might even be cheaper to buy a new PC monitor with 2 (or more) HDMI inputs, which some monitors are coming out with nowadays. If the monitor has DVI inputs, you will also need an inexpensive converter to convert HDMI to DVI as it goes into your monitor from the PS3.

As to sound, you will need to tell the PS3 to output the sound out of its digital output, and then run the digital output to your 5.1 sound system. If your 5.1 sound system is powered by a receiver, then it's cake, run the digital output to one of the digital inputs in your receiver and switch it to that source.

If its one of those 5.1 systems for computers, things get a little tricky. Check to see if your system allows for an external 5.1 digital input source other than the usual mini-plugs, etc. that you connect to your computer. Some computer sound cards or integrated sound cards contain a "pass-through" digital input, and if so, try and connect it there. Hopefully, you will have a receiver or a system that has a digital input making things much easier.

Good luck.