BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Mporium BMW

06-09-2009, 12:26 PM   #23
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
I calling into my local Audi dealer on Thursday to see about a small A3 for the niece, I will ask them whether they have had any problems with clogged valves on the R8 and RS4. Will report back on my return.
Good luck. Unless you're good friends with someone there I'm sure they'll sell you a load of BS. My dealer claims that they don't have issues with HPFP failures for the 335i.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 02:58 AM   #24
michaeldorian
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvd.kevin View Post
I have an E90 M3 6spd. This past weekend, I have been wander around test driving RS4. Taking into consideration that this vehicle will be your second car. I suggest E90 M3. This is why...

HP/Torque: Setting aside 0-60 times and black and white specs. In real life, both cars can attain tripple digits speed effortlessly. Which means that both can land you in jail at about the same time. So, power? Plenty to get you a date with local law enforcements. M3 = RS4

Driving Enjoyment: The M3 is a tighter, more responsive car. The steering feedback is precise, firm, very controlled. The RS4 feels a bit more loose and easy. However, driving the RS4 feels like you're driving on velcro. I thought my M3 grips the road well, WOW, the RS4 is even better. Quattro, what do you expects?
The M3 requires you to drive it. Definitely not a fun car if you simply commute in it. Though it can be use as a daily driver, I think the RS4 is much easier to live with as a daily driver, but it's not as fun as a M3. RS4 is a better DD because the 6spd is AMAZING. You simply have to test drive it to see what I'm talking about. M3 6spd is good, but RS4 is great. RS4 seems to be quieter and more comfortable than my M3. I didn't like the seats on the RS4 because they are wide and the side bolsters are not adjustable. M3 side bolsters can be adjusted to fit you body. M3 seats seem to be design for more spirited driving. I also didn't like the skinny steering wheel in the RS4. I like the thickness of the M3 steering wheel.

M3 - fun, but demands the driver to be involve
RS4 - user friendly, can be fun, but not like the kind of fun the M3 can provides

Just my 2cents. All the reviews in the world can't match the feeling you'll get when you drive the car. ONLY then will you know which ones fits you best. Good luck. Every driver is different. You just have to find out which kind of driver you are.
I've owned both cars and completely agree with this assessment. Nailed it. The 6speed shifter on the RS4 is dang near perfect. If that can be transplanted on the M3, I would have no complaints about my car.

Unfortunately the shifter on the M3 is not it's greatest strength.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 03:28 PM   #25
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post
Good luck. Unless you're good friends with someone there I'm sure they'll sell you a load of BS. My dealer claims that they don't have issues with HPFP failures for the 335i.
As promised I asked about the problems with DFI regarding the valves. Well the simple answer was no real problem at all, maybe UK fuel is a little difference or more likely it's or lack of trackdays in N.Ireland but either way no RS4 even have any issues in this dealer.

On an difference subject I got offered a proper test drive in the TT-RS when they get their demo next month. According to the sales manager who drove it last months along side a Cayman S reckon I will be surprised how much more potent it's engine will feel than the M3 and how much more alert the first end feels. As with most performance cars the sample he drove was equipped with the optional 19" but was told the best balanced option was to stick with the stock 18" and chose the magnetic ride suspension. Another thing, he said the bodykit make the TT look extremely aggressive and this combined with the 'sport' button which increases the exhaust note gives it a huge amount of road presence.

I look forward to that meeting.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2009, 04:08 PM   #26
Dartanium
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 M3

M3 is what I picked, however you should look into C63 AMG if you want a powerful medium sized sedan
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2009, 10:28 PM   #27
nugent100
Rep
Drives: e92 IB

i just lemoned my RS4 from carbon deposits and now drive e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFPDX View Post
I know I'm in a BMW forum but I will ask it anyway.

I'm going to be buying a used RS4 if I can find one with low miles, or a E90 M3, in a couple months. It will be a second car and not driven daily. Looking for some input on both cars if someone here has driven both.

Thanks
the RS4 is like driving on velcro. mashing the accelerator on a turn at a standstill creates no drama. m3, even with dsc on, different story. it does take more skill to drive an m3, but in the end, it's also more interesting --which is good and bad. balance is difinitely in favor of the m3, and this is noticeable when taking turns at high speed. as a DD, an average driver will be faster and safer in an RS4, hands down.

interior electronics definitely inferior in older RS4. clutch better in RS4 though. in the rain, not even close in straight line acceleration. in the RS, it might as well be a dry road. in corners though when wet, the nose-heaviness of the car cannot be avoided. awd is great for coming out of corners though. so, it just depends on where you want your speed -- turn in or out?

the RS did have its engine issues, but let's see what happens after a year or more so with the M. if you want a newer, more noticeable, respected car, get the M. if you can score a great deal on a used RS4 and plan on trading it for the next best thing, go for it. you won't be disappointed either way.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2009, 12:09 PM   #28
KFPDX
United_States
Rep
Drives: MK5 Jetta TDi (DD) E90 M3 soon

Thanks for all the input, I think I'm going to go with a RS4 there is just something about the RS4 I love , unless I run across a used low mile E90 that I can't pass up.

2008 rs4's with right around 10 thousand miles you can pick up for a great deal right now. One thing I like about the RS4 its such a sleeper.

But if any one sees a used Space gray or Sparkling Graph E90 6mt with the gray 18's let me know.

Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2009, 08:53 PM   #29
TheKosherStogie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 DCT AW/Red

also i thik RS4 sounds better than m3...listen to vids with tubi exhaust...amazing...and get some stasis ohlins co's and then it becomes a real car
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2009, 05:59 AM   #30
a burrito
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Urus, 958.2 TTS, 997 S

Personally, with all the DRC issues i've seen reported, I would stick with the e90. The RS is really yesterdays news at this point. The e90 has better technology and engineering. The RS's exhaust note is really to die for however.
      07-14-2009, 07:34 AM   #31
mixja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 DCT Silverstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by a burrito View Post
Personally, with all the DRC issues i've seen reported, I would stick with the e90. The RS is really yesterdays news at this point. The e90 has better technology and engineering. The RS's exhaust note is really to die for however.
I disagree on the exhaust note, having previously owned an RS4.

I think from the outside, the RS4 exhaust note is great, but in cabin the RS4 it is very quiet and less involving than the M3 which lets through quite a bit more exhaust note into the cabin.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2009, 08:39 AM   #32
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

As a second car I might think of something a bit more sporty than either...

Z4MC? S2000 with forced induction(easy 400rwhp, will equal a 997tt in the straights, full spool by 4000 rpms with almost no lag. Can do a complete custom system for ~$12,000)
C6?
996TT? 997C2S?

As a second car only, the more powerful, responsive RWD car would be a better choice, IMHO. I can't believe the S4 would be as fun, but I haven't driven it (yet). I have driven the RS4 and prefer the M3. Still need to drive the C63 before I order the M to eliminate any doubts.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2009, 10:14 AM   #33
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvd.kevin View Post
I have an E90 M3 6spd. This past weekend, I have been wander around test driving RS4. Taking into consideration that this vehicle will be your second car. I suggest E90 M3. This is why...

HP/Torque: Setting aside 0-60 times and black and white specs. In real life, both cars can attain tripple digits speed effortlessly. Which means that both can land you in jail at about the same time. So, power? Plenty to get you a date with local law enforcements. M3 = RS4

Driving Enjoyment: The M3 is a tighter, more responsive car. The steering feedback is precise, firm, very controlled. The RS4 feels a bit more loose and easy. However, driving the RS4 feels like you're driving on velcro. I thought my M3 grips the road well, WOW, the RS4 is even better. Quattro, what do you expects?
The M3 requires you to drive it. Definitely not a fun car if you simply commute in it. Though it can be use as a daily driver, I think the RS4 is much easier to live with as a daily driver, but it's not as fun as a M3. RS4 is a better DD because the 6spd is AMAZING. You simply have to test drive it to see what I'm talking about. M3 6spd is good, but RS4 is great. RS4 seems to be quieter and more comfortable than my M3. I didn't like the seats on the RS4 because they are wide and the side bolsters are not adjustable. M3 side bolsters can be adjusted to fit you body. M3 seats seem to be design for more spirited driving. I also didn't like the skinny steering wheel in the RS4. I like the thickness of the M3 steering wheel.

M3 - fun, but demands the driver to be involve
RS4 - user friendly, can be fun, but not like the kind of fun the M3 can provides

Just my 2cents. All the reviews in the world can't match the feeling you'll get when you drive the car. ONLY then will you know which ones fits you best. Good luck. Every driver is different. You just have to find out which kind of driver you are.
I also pretty much agree with the general accuracy of this review. I just sold my 07 RS4 after purchasing an E93. The only slight disagreement I would voice is that I think the cars are about dead-even in the handling/performance and "fun" departments, but for the average driver, the RS4 has a decided edge in the grip department because of the Quattro full-time 4-wheel drive system. I'd also give a slight edge to the Audi for the engine, which spools up much quicker (likely because of direct injection) and has more power and torque, and the Audi 6-speed is superior. There is no DCT or auto option for the RS4.

I do agree that the BMW seems to "feel" more connected, but I don't think real performance numbers bear out any meaningful advantage. It kind of reminds me of discussions about how the C6 Z06 (which I also owned for 2 years) handling "feels," with people reporting it doesn't give feedback and feels "vague." However, when you look at the numbers, it crushes either of the cars in question here on both road-racing and autocross courses.

For me, the E93 is only more "fun" because of the convertible hard-top. Otherwise, I'd prefer the RS4. For the track, I prefer my Lotus.
      07-16-2009, 01:27 PM   #34
ideas82
Ideas82
Canada
Rep
Drives: Pending...

As a second car. e90 all the way.
If it was the 1st car then I would say RS4

What color by the way??
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2009, 02:32 PM   #35
991GT3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Ford Raptor

I received this in my email from a Colorado Mercedes dealer. If this is nationwide I'd buy the C63.
Attached Images

-2016 Macan Turbo(GF vehicle)
-2017 Ford Raptor
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2009, 02:21 AM   #36
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by foosh View Post
I also pretty much agree with the general accuracy of this review. I just sold my 07 RS4 after purchasing an E93. The only slight disagreement I would voice is that I think the cars are about dead-even in the handling/performance and "fun" departments, but for the average driver, the RS4 has a decided edge in the grip department because of the Quattro full-time 4-wheel drive system. I'd also give a slight edge to the Audi for the engine, which spools up much quicker (likely because of direct injection) and has more power and torque, and the Audi 6-speed is superior. There is no DCT or auto option for the RS4.

I do agree that the BMW seems to "feel" more connected, but I don't think real performance numbers bear out any meaningful advantage. It kind of reminds me of discussions about how the C6 Z06 (which I also owned for 2 years) handling "feels," with people reporting it doesn't give feedback and feels "vague." However, when you look at the numbers, it crushes either of the cars in question here on both road-racing and autocross courses.

For me, the E93 is only more "fun" because of the convertible hard-top. Otherwise, I'd prefer the RS4. For the track, I prefer my Lotus.
Pretty much agree with everything said here. I bought the M3 with the feeling from the first few testdrive experiences that the M3 matched Audi as a daily day, but on reflection that isn't quite the case, yes it's miles better than any other M car I have ever driven but it's engine is too much of a racing rocket to fully enjoy on the public road so what you are left with is a throttle response that is very much hit or miss if you engage the 'power' button and lifeless if it's off. I can't knock the steering or the brakes which give great feel on the road though don't reckon either are any better than that of an RS4, maybe better than the rest of Audi's range (excluding the R8) but then the same is true for the rest of the BMW lineup which the M3 is also better.

Looks is the other area where Audi's RS4 has the M3 licked, the thing looks so much more aggressive, the same is true for the S5 so God knows how the RS5 will look beside an M3. As for handling, I think the M3 has a definite edge on finesse and the feeling of what the chassis is doing at any one time but on public roads I feel even an S4 with Sportdiff edges it on grip, especially if both car's are driven like most drivers do who are inexperienced.

On reflection I personally feel I made a rash decision on buying an M3, great car as it all is it doesn't suit the DD driving or roads I travel as well as any of the Audis I have owned. Next time I will be back to an Audi and possibly wish I was in my M3, but given the quality of Audi's chassis of later I doubt such a thought will never cross my mind.

It still stands as the best M car ever made in my opinion and if you are a person who prefers BMWs and want the best one then no other fits the bill better. Maybe the experience of the issues with it's DCT and BMW lack of ability to cure the problems has soured my love affair but I doubt I will jump as quickly again to the brand.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2009, 03:34 PM   #37
max08e90
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92

Rs4 = Carbon build up
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 05:40 PM   #38
Mother
Rep
Drives: 2007 Charger SRT8, FI

Did some quick googling, and discovered the 2010 RS4 is supposed to have 450 HP. That's quite a bit, folks!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 05:42 PM   #39
bobbyd1961
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFPDX View Post
I know I'm in a BMW forum but I will ask it anyway.

I'm going to be buying a used RS4 if I can find one with low miles, or a E90 M3, in a couple months. It will be a second car and not driven daily. Looking for some input on both cars if someone here has driven both.

Thanks
well in may i was considering the RS4 however they had stop making them. therefore i went with the sedan.(i needed to seat 5) now i think the RS4 only seats 4 so i would have chose the M3 sedan anyway. but all comparisons point to the M3
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 05:44 PM   #40
bobbyd1961
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoreHead View Post
well then it's down to visuals. I prefer the RS4 to the M3 sedan but prefer the M3 coupe to both. Personal taste now my friend. Get a drive in both and see how you feel. I've had the 2 rally reps so I know how much fun 4wd can be but I also love the chassis on the M3. It's the best sorted RWD I've ever driven.

Either way I suspect you won't be disappointed.
its amazing how beauty is in the eye of the beholder . i think the M3 sedan wins hands down over the RS4 however i think the RS4 is nicer than the coupe. the hot blonde that handled my car at the dealer concurred about the sedan over the coupe
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 06:28 PM   #41
Mother
Rep
Drives: 2007 Charger SRT8, FI

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyd1961 View Post
its amazing how beauty is in the eye of the beholder . i think the M3 sedan wins hands down over the RS4 however i think the RS4 is nicer than the coupe. the hot blonde that handled my car at the dealer concurred about the sedan over the coupe
That's because it was your car (a customer). I could run in there with the coupe and get the same reaction (plus, my schlaheim is 10.5 inches). LOL!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 06:52 PM   #42
GhostyM
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: plenty

me being a Portland resident I say you get an M3. There needs to be more E90 M3's running around.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2009, 09:26 PM   #43
slipstream
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 LeMans Blue E90 M3 [sold]

Don't know if rear seat room is a factor for you at all, but that was the biggest problem I had with the Audi. Unless you have very short passengers, they will be unhappy back there.

Otherwise, both are great cars. I doubt you would be disappointed with either one.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 11:27 AM   #44
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstream View Post
Don't know if rear seat room is a factor for you at all, but that was the biggest problem I had with the Audi. Unless you have very short passengers, they will be unhappy back there.

Otherwise, both are great cars. I doubt you would be disappointed with either one.
I don't know about the rs4, but if it doesn't have rear seat room. then there is no point to buy a sedan but adult can't fit in. might as well get the 92 m3 coupe. better looking and have more rear seat room. perform better as well.
Appreciate 0