BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

05-02-2013, 05:19 PM   #67
mlambert890
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 DCT Coupe

One of the best comparative reviews I've read on *any* forum and considering the dissimilarities that is really an impressive thing. Fantastic objective insights free of bias. Awesome job and thanks!

The M3 is a car... a *great* car, but a car. The Lambo is one of those cars that is really more of an event, IMO. That's an intangible that creates the biggest difference, in my mind.

I don't think any objective change like power:weight could make the M3 an exotic. It would take massively lower availability, much higher pricing, and much more insane styling really. BMWs goal is making the ultimate daily driver, honestly, and they price and produce the M3 accordingly.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 06:29 PM   #68
Endless619
DHS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
Thanks for your write-up. I recall reading this a month ago and I am throwing around the idea of a 09 LP560-4.

The one thing I didn't care for was the interior and I am a 6 speed manual guy. Volks are a must for me in 19 inch. Probably a custom set or redrill a new set to fit the G.

How is it holding up for you for daily driving? I am on 6speedonline and lurk on lamborghini-talk and lambopower.

Last edited by Endless619; 05-21-2013 at 06:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 01:49 PM   #69
lsmkr01
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Good review
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 07:30 AM   #70
Ghetto2315
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' BMW i8

Garage List
Am I the only one that thinks the interior wreaks of VW? I couldn't stand the creaks and squeaks of the last Gallardo I drove. I'm 6'1 with long legs so my seat was as back as possible with the back of the seat hitting "wall" and it just made for the worst noises while driving.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 12:27 AM   #71
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlambert890 View Post
One of the best comparative reviews I've read on *any* forum and considering the dissimilarities that is really an impressive thing. Fantastic objective insights free of bias. Awesome job and thanks!

The M3 is a car... a *great* car, but a car. The Lambo is one of those cars that is really more of an event, IMO. That's an intangible that creates the biggest difference, in my mind.

I don't think any objective change like power:weight could make the M3 an exotic. It would take massively lower availability, much higher pricing, and much more insane styling really. BMWs goal is making the ultimate daily driver, honestly, and they price and produce the M3 accordingly.

Well said. A BMW, whether M5/6 OR M3 is and always will be a BMW.

A Lamborghini is an exotic, end of story.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 04:06 PM   #72
TTBear
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 Huracán/'19 M2Comp/'23 X4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless619 View Post
Thanks for your write-up. I recall reading this a month ago and I am throwing around the idea of a 09 LP560-4.

The one thing I didn't care for was the interior and I am a 6 speed manual guy. Volks are a must for me in 19 inch. Probably a custom set or redrill a new set to fit the G.

How is it holding up for you for daily driving? I am on 6speedonline and lurk on lamborghini-talk and lambopower.

Oops - sorry for the delay - I did receive an email notice informing me of your post, but I got busy, and completely forgot - apologies.

I definitely don't daily drive the Lambo - not because it wouldn't put up with it, but rather, because of the attention it gathers, and I'd be driven insane with the constant detailing I'd have to do, in order to keep the scuff marks and scratches off of it, from people checking the car out (and even SITTING on it to have their pictures taken with it ).

It has held up amazingly well. Apart from the stereo head unit which is doing a couple weird things, it has been absolute rock solid. I've had it serviced with Lamborghini twice, to maintain warranty, and changed the oil myself twice (recommended service intervals are every 7500 miles - I change it halfway in between myself).

I would have NO hesitation in driving this car cross country - it even gets fairly decent gas mileage when I'm not on it (at 65mph, it gets better gas mileage than my M3 did at that speed....).

Recently, a group of us drove down to Montana for a 50th Anniversay Lambo event - lots of VERY hard driving through the twisties, interspersed with highway cruising (usually 90mph+). It never skipped a beat.

You did know that you CAN buy an LP560 with a six-speed, right? They are out there, but rare as hen's teeth. I searched for one forever, but after almost two years, I gave up and went with the E gear (which I now really enjoy!).

Good luck with your decision. It's definitely not a daily driver, but having said that, I have put on 12,000 miles in two driving seasons so far. Every time I get into the car, this big, shit-eating grin breaks out over my face, and every time I walk away from the car, I have to turn around and look at it. I don't regret buying it in any way, except for the fact that I had to sell my M3 in order to do it.

Hope this helps, in some small way!

07-05-2013, 11:55 PM   #73
Shift Light
"Hella Flush"
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

I think it's fair to say, everyone holds the dream of having a Lamborghini, but after reading this about one who sold his M3 for a Lamborghini and as a trusted car enthusiast, I think it's fair to follow up with saying it's quite impressive to still have such great remarks to say about an M3 as opposed to a couple hundred thousand dollar car. Thanks for this review, really is awesome.

Also
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTBear View Post
We are very fortunate for having the opportunity, means, and inclination to own the M3. It truly represents the pinnacle of ability across every aspect of car ownership.
Don't think you could have ended that post any better, quite frankly I'm going to put that in my signature. ///Motivated

Thanks again for the post.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 03:33 AM   #74
MTrezzz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lime Rock Edition

I raced my father with his 08 gallardo Drop and lost real bad ahh
If you feel the need of more power, I suggest you getting a UGR kit!
Appreciate 0