BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA

EXXEL Distributions

08-14-2009, 12:50 AM   #1
warzilla
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

NJ Tint Law - SUX!

So I ran into a problem this week with the M3. I have brought the car used from a NY dealer. The car had a light tint on the side and back windows. I didn't realize until I brought the car that NJ has a no tint law. Well, I realized after I had the car that the tints may be a problem (also reading on this forum - Fort Lee, Edgewater NJ cops are hard on tinted cars I hear).

So finally got my tags and went to a private state inspector to see if I can get my car inspection. The guy took a look and said "sorry charlie". Went to another guy and another. They all said "no". Sorry can't do it with that tint shade (seems if it was manufacturer grade or a bit lighter, maybe). They were all nice guys. We talked, shoot the shit. I offered everything I can think of:

- A little more money (is that illegal =)
- I would sign a wavier saying the tints were off and I put them on after he ok and inspected the car
- a pretty please with a cherry on top

All said no. They said it was not worth it, and the state was being hard on tinted cars with inspection.

So I had no choice but to take off the tints on the side doors (I have a coupe).

But the good news. I left the tints on the back window and back side windows and actually it doesn't look so bad. It helps that I have a black/black combo, so it doesn't show as much. But it was also cloudy today as well. Hopefully when I see it in the sun, it still looks ok.

I guess the summary of the story: Why is NJ so lame with tints? If a man wants to put some black tints on his black car (like it says in the constitution - ok maybe I'm pushing it) and make it look like his personal Knight Ridder...whats wrong with that?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 01:11 AM   #2
Cyber
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08

What % are your tints?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 01:22 AM   #3
warzilla
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Don't really know. I believe it was 20% or more, again it came with the car when I brought it. It wasn't dark-dark, if it was sunny you can see the shapes inside. But on cloudy days like today (ie no sun) it came out darker then it was.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 01:29 AM   #4
Dengel
Non-Guido Jersey Resident
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slow Jeep Rubicon

Im pretty sure the darkest you can go in NJ is 35% but cops will still try to give you a ticket for it
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 02:46 AM   #5
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Hate to be negative, but the cops in NJ are mostly pricks, state and locals, and the laws are a joke. Throw on that the fact that the feds have to wind up spending way too much $$$ cleaning up all the fraud, conspiracies and dirty politicians and cops in that state and the state is always on the brink of bankruptcy and the roads SUCK ASS its a wonder to me why anyone lives there.

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 03:02 AM   #6
Cyber
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Yeah. They'll NJ Cops will even write you a ticket when you're not in the car if they see it.

How are the tint cops in CT and MA?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 08:20 AM   #7
n3985
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a car

PM me, last time I needed inspection I used a helpful shop in Fort Lee
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 09:54 AM   #8
MikeG_C63_AMG
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 Eurocharged C63 AMG

Both my brother (04 S4 V8) and I (E46 M3) got our cars to pass inspection (Private) with tints on. The key is to drive up to the inspection with your windows down, and show up with about $200 in cash. In this rough economy money talks even more. But remember don't expect for this to go down in a nice area and were the people are speaking English (well good English). Remember you want to speak to the guy ahead a time (better to do it in private and not on the phone) and come up with a deal. I know removing tints is a $100 alone then you got to pay the price to retint it. So even if you throw the guy $300 in cash its well worth your trouble. What happens is NJ DMV has been allegedly going around and taking picture of cars passing inspection with tints. Some even being undercover operation that result in these private inspections losing there license and being fined heavily. This state in so financial strapped (Thanks Liberal Dems) that the people are being extorted of there hard earned working money. You think a state agency would better use its resources to fight much more serious issues then Inspection stations passing cars with Tint on the window.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 10:09 AM   #9
MikeG_C63_AMG
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by warzilla View Post
So I ran into a problem this week with the M3. I have brought the car used from a NY dealer. The car had a light tint on the side and back windows. I didn't realize until I brought the car that NJ has a no tint law. Well, I realized after I had the car that the tints may be a problem (also reading on this forum - Fort Lee, Edgewater NJ cops are hard on tinted cars I hear).

So finally got my tags and went to a private state inspector to see if I can get my car inspection. The guy took a look and said "sorry charlie". Went to another guy and another. They all said "no". Sorry can't do it with that tint shade (seems if it was manufacturer grade or a bit lighter, maybe). They were all nice guys. We talked, shoot the shit. I offered everything I can think of:

- A little more money (is that illegal =)
- I would sign a wavier saying the tints were off and I put them on after he ok and inspected the car
- a pretty please with a cherry on top

All said no. They said it was not worth it, and the state was being hard on tinted cars with inspection.

So I had no choice but to take off the tints on the side doors (I have a coupe).

But the good news. I left the tints on the back window and back side windows and actually it doesn't look so bad. It helps that I have a black/black combo, so it doesn't show as much. But it was also cloudy today as well. Hopefully when I see it in the sun, it still looks ok.

I guess the summary of the story: Why is NJ so lame with tints? If a man wants to put some black tints on his black car (like it says in the constitution - ok maybe I'm pushing it) and make it look like his personal Knight Ridder...whats wrong with that?
Put the tints on and don't worry about it. I drive by cops every day, locals, Bergen County Police, Troopers and they don't bother me. Unless your driving like a clown, or the officer really has something stuck up his/hers you know what, their not going to pull you over solely for tints. I have no front plate on my car either and I got a ticket in Paramus on of all days Memorial Day. I didn't even bother showing any PBA cards, STFA triangle nothing. Unfortunately for me I didn't have a current insurance card with me because the one I had expired. The officer was in his 40s and only gave me a ticket for the front plate. I was respectful, and played it cool. I mean when he asked me where my front plate was I just told him simply I don't have one. I mean he obviously knows I'm driving a nice flashy expensive car and I didn't want one on and new the consequences of it. It was a $54 ticket and I paid it online. If you can afford the car you can afford a ticket like that. Only once did I get a ticket for tints in my life in my E46 M3 (Jet Black with 15% tint) and that was in Wall Township (a shore town coming home from Belmar). Actually then I didn't even have my license cause I lost my wallet the night before (was that hammered ). Again I was respectful and just played it straight no lies. The best time though was 2 Christmas ago when I was at Willowbrook Mall in my M3. I just get out of my M3 and a Passiac County Sheriff pulls next to me. He goes, "You know tints are illegal, you better get those off your car." My response " Yes officer." He then paused ,probably realizing what a fool he was having that conversation with me at Christmas time when I was going to the mall to buy gifts, and drove off. Needless to say the tints were left on the M3 until I traded it in for the C63 which has 35% tint all around except the windshield.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 11:17 AM   #10
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

Ok, just because the grammar on the east coast irritates the crap out of me because it makes everyone sound uneducated, 1) it's TINT, not tintS, and 2) you BOUGHT a car, not BROUGHT.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 11:34 AM   #11
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3-E46M3-E46Wagon-E89Z4-E36

Garage List
1994 325is Race Car  [0.00]
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e46e92love View Post
Hate to be negative, but the cops in NJ are mostly pricks, state and locals, and the laws are a joke. Throw on that the fact that the feds have to wind up spending way too much $$$ cleaning up all the fraud, conspiracies and dirty politicians and cops in that state and the state is always on the brink of bankruptcy and the roads SUCK ASS its a wonder to me why anyone lives there.

Cheers,
e46e92
I can't disagree more about the NJ cops. Maybe it's different in North Jersey but down in the south I've found them to be quite reasonable and most of them have the "big picture". I got pulled over once for 87 in a 65 and the guy wrote me up for some wierd charge (failure to yield) with no points and minimal fine. There was an article in one of the car mags about a year ago that rated NJ as the #1 state most friendly to speeders. In my experience, 5.5 years in NJ, I have to agree.

Last edited by skierman64; 08-14-2009 at 02:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 11:56 AM   #12
Sellotape
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2C, GLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by skierman64 View Post
I can't disagree more about the NJ cops. Maybe it's different in North Jersey but down in the south I've found them to be quite reasonable and most of them have the "big picture". I got pulled over once for 87 in a 65 and the guy wrote me up for some wierd charge (failure to yield) with no points and minimul fine. There was an article in one of the car mags about a year ago that rated NJ as the #1 state most friendly to speeders. In my experience, 5.5 years in NJ, I have to agree.
I'd have to agree. I was pulled over doing 90 on the turnpike last year and the trooper let me off and told me to keep it under 80 and I'd be okay. I've kept the cruise control at 80 on the turnpike since and never had a problem passing speed traps. At that speed they're just not interested.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 12:20 PM   #13
MikeG_C63_AMG
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quality_sound View Post
Ok, just because the grammar on the east coast irritates the crap out of me because it makes everyone sound uneducated, 1) it's TINT, not tintS, and 2) you BOUGHT a car, not BROUGHT.
Thank You Grammar Police. Everyone please forgive me for failing to proof read my post thoroughly.

No wonder why I have a Bachelors In Electrical Engineering.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 01:45 PM   #14
mazda3ndp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E9x M3

Ive had 50% all around and haven't had any issues. most people think I have the back windows tinted and not the front, and from the inside its hardly noticeable.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 01:49 PM   #15
TOOMANYCARS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

NJ cops are dicks, but comparing with NYPD, they are not as bad.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2009, 08:16 PM   #16
Cyber
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda3ndp View Post
Ive had 50% all around and haven't had any issues. most people think I have the back windows tinted and not the front, and from the inside its hardly noticeable.
Yeah 50 shouldn't get you in any cop trouble but inspection places will get you on 50. What a cop told me once is "if they can't see in your car at night you will get shit" because safety is the real reason for the tint law.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2009, 04:04 AM   #17
Koroush
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: nothing

New jeresy is just a horrible place to live.
      08-15-2009, 05:00 AM   #18
Sellotape
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2C, GLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koroush View Post
What a profound statement! Really insightful. Care to put a little more effort into justifying that?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2009, 01:56 PM   #19
Cyber
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Its getting worse. If you ask me its because NJ is so close to ground zero (Wall Street). Once the economic fallout passes it should get better. The SILLY property taxes don't help either.....
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2009, 04:06 PM   #20
opie
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Audi R8 4.2

Quote:
Qualify that statement.
I love my home state.
Cops in north jersey are less friendly than the southern part of the state but that's no reason to say the state sucks....

Time to cool off driving my M5 while I wait for my E92 to arrive from ED
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2009, 10:41 AM   #21
ihyln
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3post sucks

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
2002 530i  [0.00]
I love/hate these threads.

I have had 35% tints on my 530 since the day I got it in 2002. In roughly 7 years of driving all over the place (82k miles) I've gotten tickets for tinted windows ONCE and that was due to being in Metuchen where they make Fort Lee cops look like girl scouts. No offense to any LEOs but Metuchen cops are the WORST and my cousin who is a State Trooper also agrees with me as he has been pulled over by them as well. Anyway, get the tints and drive safe. If you want to pass inspection you will have to make it worthwhile to the guy if you know what I mean. FWIW, I do not have tints on my M3 and I do not have a front plate either. I will probably put tints on next summer.
Appreciate 0