BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

04-03-2012, 02:23 AM   #1
jaehshim
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Oka, bear with me. I was in the market for a sport sedan, my lists were c63, S4, S5, E92 M3, and F30 335i.
C63 out because of the hedious automatic transmission that felt like my IS250.
S5 out because it simply isn't sporty or special enough (for the price I'm paying).
It really came down to S4 vs F30 335i vs E92 M3.

so, my short impression of the 335i.

It certainly changed, but not Improved
3 series is a benchmark. No questions about that. And for every generation, we must ask ourselves if they satisfy BOTH Luxury + Sporty components.

Sport
I already read and heard so many stories about how sporty this new car is, how its electric steering is executed, and the feel of superb tight chassis and suspension work.
Yes the car drove well, I can't blame them for using the 35i engine. It is a great engine, fun and efficient.
The steering certainly felt lighter than E90 335i.
Did this car "drive" faster or better than the E90? No.

Luxury
I focused on this area a bit. Many owners claim to care much about Sportiness of 3 series, but it's really the luxury and brand value that attracts most people. If not, Civic Si or G37s is as much fun at driving both on and off the track for less money.
This was the big disappointment. I had hard time finding any component of luxury. Some said these days manufacurers use less money to develop, part and build new vehicles. This car fits to that statement. It almost looked like an okay-equipped Passat.
Yes the front interior has certainly CHANGED, but not really improved. The plastics and trims feel so cheap, past E90 interior bits felt more expensive.
I'm not really impressed by the HUD (Why do people really want it? Are we driving a 24 hour Lemans race or commuting to work?), Lane Departure or rear heated seats (come on, those were available 4 yrs ago in A4/A5 segments), or front parking cams (I probably would use them once every three yrs). Funny I read somewhere someone mentioned about the cheap trunk hinge they use in F30...overall the materials are cheap! I was hoping at least a new design on air vents for the rear seats...nothing really changed or improved in the rear interior except larger leg room.

Although I love BMW in all segments, I just cannot recommend this car to someone looking for a nicely equipped ~$40K sport sedan. The face-lifted C300 4 Matic looks great and drives great. The new A4 drives in great comport and even sporty. It clearly shows MB and Audi catching up BMW in srpot sedan world.

My overall impression

the new F30 doesn't seem "special" anymore. Even 2006 330i or 2007 335i felt special and considered special for many people. Maybe i'm wrong.
It's just hard to accpet this is another great example of Sport Luxury Sedan.
At the end of my testdrive, i almost blamed those magazines and public reviews praising this car as another "benchmark". Really?
The thin stock tires that look like civic rear tires, the whole car feels larger but not as tight as the E90s did. It is another great car, just not 100% THE 3 SERIES everyone looks upto.

I give this car a 6/10.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 07:09 AM   #2
Erie Von Otto
DT///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 Touring

Garage List
I just hope that BMW is not going down the path that GM did. When they start to cut corners on materials and quality, the consumer notices. I read the book "Car Guys vs Bean Counters" by Bob Lutz and it was definitely an eye opener when it comes to the car manufacturing world. From what I just read in your review, it seems like BMW may be trying to stretch the buck on their vehicles. For example, the decontenting of later model vehicles. Ford, Chevy, BMW, many of them, all guilty... I am dismayed by these news. I was hoping that the top car manufacturers would learn from GM's catastrophe... Quality/Materials goes down-Price goes up-Consumer realizes-Buys competitors brand.
      04-03-2012, 08:53 AM   #3
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep
Drives: camels & donkeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottoblotto View Post
I just hope that BMW is not going down the path that GM did. When they start to cut corners on materials and quality, the consumer notices. I read the book "Car Guys vs Bean Counters" by Bob Lutz and it was definitely an eye opener when it comes to the car manufacturing world. From what I just read in your review, it seems like BMW may be trying to stretch the buck on their vehicles. For example, the decontenting of later model vehicles. Ford, Chevy, BMW, many of them, all guilty... I am dismayed by these news. I was hoping that the top car manufacturers would learn from GM's catastrophe... Quality/Materials goes down-Price goes up-Consumer realizes-Buys competitors brand.
too late... BMW already is going down that path unfortunately.

From cheap and extremely thin layers of paint, to de-wiring cars that were not ordered with certain packages, etc, etc, BMW is trying to squeeze as many pennies as they can while the iron is hot.

once they start losing sales, I'm sure they will go back to what made them great....or so I hope.

F87 M2 Competition, Sunset Orange, Exc, DCT.
**SOLD** F80 M3 Mineral Grey/Sakir Orange, Exc, DCT... ED 6/2015
**SOLD**E90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2012, 01:35 PM   #4
vineeth
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Honda

Wrong forum dude. U should have posted this in the f30 section.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 12:58 PM   #5
hankcah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Thanks for the review @jaehshim.

I feel we are on the same page when it comes to comparing the e90 vs the f30. I wasn't impressed with the physical steering wheel. It seems to be "plastic" compared to a nicely wrapped leather. Suspension didn't feel as tight unless you switched to sport mode in which just gives you higher RPMs. Did it change anything else? I don't think so.

Also there were 7 gears if I'm not mistaken.

Very lovely car but I wasn't sad at all getting back into my e90 335i.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 05:46 PM   #6
Giggs
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8

If this is any indication of what the new M3 will be like, I'm glad I bought my '08 M3 and will be keeping it long term
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 06:55 PM   #7
PhillyNate
ENTHUSIAST
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Porsche Cayman

Garage List
You know, I thought the OP said something poignant and profound when he/she said paraphrasing "the 3-series doesn't seem special anymore." I hope that's NOT the case because if BMW's in general cease being special then what the hell is the point.
Taking BMW's current focus and direction I fear that EVENTUALLY the whole damn lineup will cease being special IMHO.
2011 Alpine White BMW M3 6mt ZCP Coupe(forced retirement 06/06/14)
2008 Alpine White BMW 328i 6mt Coupe(retired 06/21/11
)
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 08:09 PM   #8
bimmerj
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: cars

Well, I got the chance to drive the 328i and the 335i today. As an owner of an E90 335i, I will extrapolate my experience to give an idea on how the F30 M3 will feel like. The F30 M3 will wipe the floor with the current E90/92 M3. There was no comparison between the F30 335i and mine. The F30 is light years ahead of mine. I will not go through the details, but please don't compare an F30 335 to a E92 M3. I have a feeling the F30 M3 is going to blow the hell out of your M3 lol. In all honesty, your comparison does not make any sense. It is like comparing apple to grapefruits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaehshim View Post
Oka, bear with me. I was in the market for a sport sedan, my lists were c63, S4, S5, E92 M3, and F30 335i.
C63 out because of the hedious automatic transmission that felt like my IS250.
S5 out because it simply isn't sporty or special enough (for the price I'm paying).
It really came down to S4 vs F30 335i vs E92 M3.

so, my short impression of the 335i.

It certainly changed, but not Improved
3 series is a benchmark. No questions about that. And for every generation, we must ask ourselves if they satisfy BOTH Luxury + Sporty components.

Sport
I already read and heard so many stories about how sporty this new car is, how its electric steering is executed, and the feel of superb tight chassis and suspension work.
Yes the car drove well, I can't blame them for using the 35i engine. It is a great engine, fun and efficient.
The steering certainly felt lighter than E90 335i.
Did this car "drive" faster or better than the E90? No.

Luxury
I focused on this area a bit. Many owners claim to care much about Sportiness of 3 series, but it's really the luxury and brand value that attracts most people. If not, Civic Si or G37s is as much fun at driving both on and off the track for less money.
This was the big disappointment. I had hard time finding any component of luxury. Some said these days manufacurers use less money to develop, part and build new vehicles. This car fits to that statement. It almost looked like an okay-equipped Passat.
Yes the front interior has certainly CHANGED, but not really improved. The plastics and trims feel so cheap, past E90 interior bits felt more expensive.
I'm not really impressed by the HUD (Why do people really want it? Are we driving a 24 hour Lemans race or commuting to work?), Lane Departure or rear heated seats (come on, those were available 4 yrs ago in A4/A5 segments), or front parking cams (I probably would use them once every three yrs). Funny I read somewhere someone mentioned about the cheap trunk hinge they use in F30...overall the materials are cheap! I was hoping at least a new design on air vents for the rear seats...nothing really changed or improved in the rear interior except larger leg room.

Although I love BMW in all segments, I just cannot recommend this car to someone looking for a nicely equipped ~$40K sport sedan. The face-lifted C300 4 Matic looks great and drives great. The new A4 drives in great comport and even sporty. It clearly shows MB and Audi catching up BMW in srpot sedan world.

My overall impression

the new F30 doesn't seem "special" anymore. Even 2006 330i or 2007 335i felt special and considered special for many people. Maybe i'm wrong.
It's just hard to accpet this is another great example of Sport Luxury Sedan.
At the end of my testdrive, i almost blamed those magazines and public reviews praising this car as another "benchmark". Really?
The thin stock tires that look like civic rear tires, the whole car feels larger but not as tight as the E90s did. It is another great car, just not 100% THE 3 SERIES everyone looks upto.

I give this car a 6/10.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 12:39 AM   #9
jaehshim
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerj View Post
I have a feeling the F30 M3 is going to blow the hell out of your M3 lol. In all honesty, your comparison does not make any sense. It is like comparing apple to grapefruits.
Fact is that next M3 will be a blast to drive, but i do not find any purpose or passion to drive the next M.
Honestly, F80 M3 with twin turbo V6/inline 6 will be still slower than the GTR even with DCT tranny.
Then when we are comparing performance wise (which in case makses sense for M cars and so on) turbo to turbo, 6 cylinder to 6 cylinder, DCT to DCT, why get the next M3? I'd rather get the GTR...
I'm keeping my NA M3...it is just so sad to see literally ALL lineup for BMW going turbo engines...
Also, after seeing the new 3 series, this E90 M3 is one and only BMW M car i will ever buy... E90 NA 6MT RWD is the definition of true sports car.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 01:08 AM   #10
JOM3JO
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

totally agree with aehshim!!BMW build qulity is really going down, if you want turbo car=get GTR...(no point to get (new m3) slower car+over-price)i love m car,becoz of its NA and high reving engine.
I'm also will keeping my last NA M3!!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 08:36 AM   #11
bimmerj
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: cars

Quote:
Fact is that next M3 will be a blast to drive, but i do not find any purpose or passion to drive the next M.
Honestly, F80 M3 with twin turbo V6/inline 6 will be still slower than the GTR even with DCT tranny.
Then when we are comparing performance wise (which in case makses sense for M cars and so on) turbo to turbo, 6 cylinder to 6 cylinder, DCT to DCT, why get the next M3? I'd rather get the GTR...
I'm keeping my NA M3...it is just so sad to see literally ALL lineup for BMW going turbo engines...
Also, after seeing the new 3 series, this E90 M3 is one and only BMW M car i will ever buy... E90 NA 6MT RWD is the definition of true sports car.
I think in the next 5 years, most high performance cars will use turbo. Reason being, push toward "greener cars"
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 04:14 PM   #12
Adriansideways
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Gee wizz I wonder what car I drove the other day it doesnt sound like the same car you are describing at all!! I think the new 3 is wonderful, slick fast 8 speed gearbox, well built and the new dash design is elegant and just a great interior ! Its def better than the E90 IMO
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 10:02 PM   #13
bates1325
2021 X3MC
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3MC / R8V10 Gated

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerj
Quote:
I think in the next 5 years, most high performance cars will use turbo. Reason being, push toward "greener cars"
I'm just happy to sit back and see what the next 5 years are going to be like. Turbo, supercharged, or NA. Im always looking forward to everyone's next car

2021 X3MC Black / Black

My Engine Table Designs -> https://www.instagram.com/tombatesdesign/
Appreciate 0