BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

04-06-2012, 09:46 PM   #1
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Got the Velos Designwerks tune.

So I found myself in Miami a couple of weeks ago. Drove the M3 down from Michigan. Being from a distinctly non-(german)automotive scene, I was determined to take advantage of my proximity to great vendors, and not come home empty-handed.

With the fiancé agreeable after some beach time and shopping , I placed a call to Omar at Velos with start-off mods like a filter and pulley in mind. Omar informed me that he did not have those items in stock, but he did have a soon to be introduced tune available. The tune came with a personal tuner, and he would include the stock tune, as well as a catless/hfc tune with cel delete (which I intend to utilize in the future), and of course the stock file. After discussing in some detail with Omar, recognizing the obvious experience and expertise and getting comfortable with the idea, I concluded that the filter and pulley could wait… The next day it was off to Velos.

Pics from my visit are below. It was great meeting Omar and becoming acquainted with his company, facility, and ambitious future plans. I suspect that we'll be hearing more from him and Velos. Wifey thought he was a good dude too, and she's usually right about such matters… though he was a gentleman and went out of his way to warm her soup, so that admittedly could be the primary reason why.

Some thoughts on the tune --

Very pleased overall. As with many mods, they're most noticeable when first installed, so I wanted to do my best to recognize the updated engine characteristics straightaway.

First thing I perceived was more urgency in the 3k-4k range, which is my typical daily driving shift point in the low gears. Difficult to describe, but whereas I felt that the engine would stay relatively flat during standard acceleration in this range before, the tune seems to push the engine through the range more aggressively... if that makes some sense.

That evening I was able to take the car out for some 1st thru 3rd gear blasts. Here again I perceived a greater urgency through the rev range, and perhaps a bit more at the top end.

No cel or issues to speak of. Went to a HPDE at Homestead a few days after the tune.

Loving the idea that I can install the Akra or Challenge HFC exhaust anytime and I've got the appropriate tune waiting.

Sorry I don't have any objective data fellas. The trusty butt dyno and first impressions will have to do.

Omar just followed up with me this week to make sure all was well, so I have little doubts about post-sale support if needed.

Let me know if any questions.

Arriving at Velos, getting hooked up to the tender for the ECU read, which took about 2 hours.

The quality Velos wait room. Wifey happy eating her warm soup, and watching junk tv.

The Velos "Personal Tuner".

Last edited by FormulaMMM; 04-06-2012 at 10:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 09:57 PM   #2
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

nice, Omar is a class act and def knows his stuff. Congrats on your tune Enjoy it

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 11:11 PM   #3
1SIKM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

All I have to say is... I sure love my TUNE... Great guys @ Velos... Enjoy your new Tune & I would go with the Akrapovic Evolution system...
Mod List: | ESS VT2-625 | Velos Designwerks Tune | HRE P40S | Brembo 380mm BBK | Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust | KW V3 Coilovers | Vorsteiner GTS3 Front Bumper | Vorsteiner Rear Diffuser 2 | BMW Blue PSW | BMW Performance Spoiler | BMW GTS Door Sills | BMW Performance High Gloss Black Grills & Gills | TiKORE Industries Titanium Lug Bolts | STRI Gauges |
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 11:20 PM   #4
edu09
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2, 2022 GT3, 2022 SF90

Garage List
2022 FERRARI SF90  [10.00]
2024 BMW  [10.00]
2022 PORSCHE 992 GT3  [10.00]
Had the chance to use Velos Designwerks sevices and have only good comments on them, Omar and his staff are top of the line!
      04-06-2012, 11:36 PM   #5
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep
Drives: E46 + E90 + F80

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Thanks for sharing the review! It's nice to see another option out there for a tune.

It would be great to hear more details on the tune, what sets their tune apart from the rest, power figures, etc.

Although I've never worked with Omar, I have only heard great things about him and his work.

Keep us posted on updates!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2012, 11:46 PM   #6
Cal@Sonic MS
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Omar and all the guys @ Velos are running a legit operation. Thanks for sharing!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2012, 02:26 AM   #7
alpine335i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 M3 6MT, 08 e90 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1VelosM
All I have to say is... I sure love my TUNE... Great guys @ Velos... Enjoy your new Tune & I would go with the Akrapovic Evolution system...
Nice user name lol
      04-07-2012, 06:44 AM   #8
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1VelosM View Post
Cool, thanks. Yeah, I think it will probably have to be the Akra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipm3 View Post
Thanks for sharing the review! It's nice to see another option out there for a tune.

It would be great to hear more details on the tune, what sets their tune apart from the rest, power figures, etc.

Although I've never worked with Omar, I have only heard great things about him and his work.

Keep us posted on updates!
Thanks and will do. My understanding is that he plans to formally introduce the product once the Velos site is complete. As far as details, I got a whirlwind education on everything from the adaptations of the M3 ECU to the tune methodology while on site. It was more than I could absorb at the time, and I have no chance of doing justice here, so I won't attempt..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 04:09 AM   #9
NFAM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

It's good to see that Velos is getting around. I for one had a tune from a specific performance shop on my car. After speaking to Omar for a bit, we decided to try the Velos tune. It's no joke. I picked up another ten horsepower over the other tune. They definitely know what they are doing over there. And you're also correct about the facility. That waiting room definitely doesn't look like a performance shop waiting room. It's really nice.

That trip you made is amazing. That is a heck of a lot of driving. It's good that you were able to stretch out her legs. Next time you're in Miami with her, let us know. Maybe we will get a group together and hit the track.
      04-08-2012, 04:21 AM   #10
Moxie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 328d Touring/SG 335d

Good Deal - Competition from a solid vender is always welcomed.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 05:12 AM   #11
C|3R1C
So Kewl Guy
Rep
Drives: 2010 E93 M3 DCT

Nice review on the tune! I cant wait to get mine from them at the end of the month Omar and Velos are by the best guys I have ever has the pleasure of working with!!

I've been patiently waiting for about a month or so but I will be posting three separate dynos early next month: stock car with AA catback, stock car with AA HFC/catback, stock car AA pipes with velos hfc tune tune. Also getting a set of stoptech BBK from them too at the same time hehe

Last edited by C|3R1C; 04-08-2012 at 03:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 07:58 AM   #12
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFAM3 View Post
It's good to see that Velos is getting around. I for one had the Active tune on my car. After speaking to Omar for a bit, we decided to try the Velos tune. It's no joke. I picked up another ten horsepower over the Active tune. They definitely know what they are doing over there. And you're also correct about the facility. That waiting room definitely doesn't look like a performance shop waiting room. It's really nice.

That trip you made is amazing. That is a heck of a lot of driving. It's good that you were able to stretch out her legs. Next time you're in Miami with her, let us know. Maybe we will get a group together and hit the track.
Hey, happy to hear you're enjoying the tune as well. Thanks, and definitely! I'll shoot you a PM next time I'm in the neighborhood. It'd be nice to run with some M3's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxie View Post
Good Deal - Competition from a solid vender is always welcomed.
Right on.. Lots of solid tune options for our cars -- Evolve, ESS, Velos. I respect all of their work. Truth be told I was planning on an Evolve tune this spring. I've exchanged emails with them on a couple of occasions and they're a first class operation. I got the same feeling from Omar after a discussion with him, and since they were just around the corner I decided to give Velos a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C|3R1C View Post
Nice review on the tune! I cant wait to get mine from them at the end of the month Omar and Jean are by the best guys I have ever has the pleasure of working with!!

I've been patiently waiting for about a month or so but I will be posting three separate dynos early next month: stock car with AA catback, stock car with AA HFC/catback, stock car AA pipes with velos hfc tune tune. Also getting a set of stoptech BBK from them too at the same time hehe
Wow man.. Congrats on the forthcoming upgrades and I look forward to the results -- especially the Velos hfc tune. I've got that loaded up and ready to go on my personal tuner for when I make the jump.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 08:38 AM   #13
MiamiM3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E90 AT M-Sport

Garage List
Does the Velos tune eliminate the cold start cycle? What is the price of the tune/tuner? I was looking at the Evolve tuner but you cannot beat having a local place and I am not interested in the AA tune.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 08:41 AM   #14
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiM3 View Post
Does the Velos tune eliminate the cold start cycle? What is the price of the tune/tuner? I was looking at the Evolve tuner but you cannot beat having a local place and I am not interested in the AA tune.
Sorry, not certain on the cold start cycle. Suggest you give Velos a call..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 10:26 AM   #15
IFX
Banned
Rep
Drives: AW e46M/N54

Much respect to you for driving you car that far.. I'm longing to do a road trip in a nice car.... just didn't have the balls to do it in mine..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 10:40 AM   #16
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFX View Post
Much respect to you for driving you car that far.. I'm longing to do a road trip in a nice car.... just didn't have the balls to do it in mine..
Cool. My motivation is twofold -- I love driving, and I despise flying, so I always look to drive to a given destination if possible.

So after all of that, my car is really no worse for the wear. Took a few extra minutes to get all of the bug carnage off of the clear bra. That's about it. There's the increased mileage I suppose, but oh well.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 10:52 AM   #17
MiamiM3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E90 AT M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM3 View Post
Cool. My motivation is twofold -- I love driving, and I despise flying, so I always look to drive to a given destination if possible.

So after all of that, my car is really no worse for the wear. Took a few extra minutes to get all of the bug carnage off of the clear bra. That's about it. There's the increased mileage I suppose, but oh well.
Do you have stock suspension? I just installed the Eibach springs with E36 M3 bumpstops and the ride is pretty busy, I am debating about keeping the springs because it would suck for a long roadtrip.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 11:11 AM   #18
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Do you have stock suspension? I just installed the Eibach springs with E36 M3 bumpstops and the ride is pretty busy, I am debating about keeping the springs because it would suck for a long roadtrip.
Interesting. Yes, totally stock.

Because of my regular road trips I would be afraid to mess with the suspension. Even in stock form, the M3 is way busier than my E39 M5 with B&G springs. And now having been on track, the stock suspension is good enough for me (for now..). Tires and brakes are more a priority.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 12:03 PM   #19
1SIKM
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Does the Velos tune eliminate the cold start cycle? Yes it does...
Mod List: | ESS VT2-625 | Velos Designwerks Tune | HRE P40S | Brembo 380mm BBK | Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust | KW V3 Coilovers | Vorsteiner GTS3 Front Bumper | Vorsteiner Rear Diffuser 2 | BMW Blue PSW | BMW Performance Spoiler | BMW GTS Door Sills | BMW Performance High Gloss Black Grills & Gills | TiKORE Industries Titanium Lug Bolts | STRI Gauges |
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 12:15 PM   #20
werly
First Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2011 MR E92 M3

Just realized that my post is right above yours. lol
Great tune, glad we are enjoying it
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 12:38 PM   #21
Omar@VelosDesignwerks
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Different Ones

Hey,
Can't believe I missed this. Thanks for coming by and it was great meeting you both.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 02:41 PM   #22
NFAM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar@VelosDesignwerks
Hey,
Can't believe I missed this. Thanks for coming by and it was great meeting you both.
Welcome to about three weeks ago!!!!!!!!