BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Australia

08-09-2011, 06:40 AM   #1
NATTYY
Rep
Drives: 320d M-Sport & SRT-6

Does the 'BRAND' of a car really matter?

I was having an interesting conversation with a friend of mine last night regarding car brands. It lead to us talking about does the brand of a car trump quality/power etc.

It made me think a brand new BMW M3, AMG C63 and the Nissan GTR are all in a similar price bracket

Typically an individual buying a M3 would also consider buying a C63 and visa versa. However the type of individual buying either of the above 2 cars probably wouldn't buy a new Nissan GTR. even though the GTR is faster, handles better and is just as practical etc etc.

If someone is buying an M3 or C63 they obviously have some interest in performance so wouldn't it be sensible to just buy the GTR seeing as it dwarfs both the BM and the Benz in performance and still does all the other things well?

Personally I could justify spending $150k odd on an M3 or C63 but not on a GTR.

Even though deep down the kid in me would love the GTR however I'd be thinking "I just dropped over a $150 grand on a NISSAN"

So for those people who (like me) place a big emphasis on brand why do you think that is?

*excuse spelling errors and poor grammar, post was done through iPhone*
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 06:46 AM   #2
TAAXED
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Golf

First of all the GTR isn't anywhere as big inside as the M3 or C63, also it only comes with DCT, it's turbo and it's AWD...lol so that is why I did not buy one, even though it's much faster on the road. For me, it's not what I look for in a car and I won't find it as much fun.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 07:35 AM   #3
JOM3JO
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

GTR harder to maintain n quite many issues like: transmission overheat and etc....i didnt buy GTR not becoz of the brand coz i love NA car....
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 05:07 PM   #4
MFKN3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: supercharged 4.4L stroker E92

I was looking at either the GTR or M3. The GTR is an engineering masterpiece, possibly on par or better than the M3, but I couldn't spend $$$ on a nissan. They are also a touch ugly, but the facelifted model is a bit better. And....activating launch control voids the warranty!!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 05:32 PM   #5
Totti
Troll
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

No manual a certain deal breaker.
Use the stick like u would a manual. If that doesn't work, put it in D mode and put both hands at 10 and 2. If that doesn't work, just sit on your right hand.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 08:03 PM   #6
NATTYY
Rep

Hmmm it seems most of you agree with me that the simple fact of $150+ thousand & Nissan don't belong in the same sentence.

Of course there are those that simply don't like certain aspects of the GT-R e.g. looks, no manual trans etc.

But still I feel the majority base it in the fact that it's a Nissan.

On the Top Gear episode last night for those of you who watched it the new GT-R beat the Bugatti Veyron's time on the Top Gear track thats simply amazing.

The same things applies to the Lexus LFA in the the supercar market. Even Richard Hammond at the end of the review said he couldn't justify spending that much money on a Lexus.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2011, 09:35 PM   #7
TAAXED
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

I personally think the LFA is amazing, if I had 850k to buy one of the few coming here, I would! But I don't haha 9000RPM and basically any engine that is NA and makes over 100hp/L gets me wet.

To be fair to the Nissan, 150k is a bargain if all you car about is performance and not how you get there. The new one does 0-100km/h in 2.9 or 3.0 seconds right? A 911 Turbo S costs $450k and does the same...I've been in the new Turbo S flat out and it's shit boring, there's no sense of excitement at all, I would spend the money on a 'slower' Ferrari or Lamborghini or something...

I don't really understand people that buy cars for the 'badge', no offence, but are you impressed when you see someone in a 320i? I have a friend who bought a 120i a while ago, he thought it was great to be driving a BMW, but naturally got bored after a few months...had he bought a GTI, I'm sure he'd still be loving it.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 12:24 AM   #8
NATTYY
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAAXED View Post
I personally think the LFA is amazing, if I had 850k to buy one of the few coming here, I would! But I don't haha 9000RPM and basically any engine that is NA and makes over 100hp/L gets me wet.

To be fair to the Nissan, 150k is a bargain if all you car about is performance and not how you get there. The new one does 0-100km/h in 2.9 or 3.0 seconds right? A 911 Turbo S costs $450k and does the same...I've been in the new Turbo S flat out and it's shit boring, there's no sense of excitement at all, I would spend the money on a 'slower' Ferrari or Lamborghini or something...

I don't really understand people that buy cars for the 'badge', no offence, but are you impressed when you see someone in a 320i? I have a friend who bought a 120i a while ago, he thought it was great to be driving a BMW, but naturally got bored after a few months...had he bought a GTI, I'm sure he'd still be loving it.
I agree with you completely. I guess it's just how the world is today alot of as are so dead set on creating an image for ourselves and impressing people that we forget about what 'we' really want and what is value for money.

Dont get me wrong, I'm not saying ALL people who buy BMW M3's & C63's deep down want a GTR, some genuinely would rather the BM or Merc. But some of us are simply 'brand' conscious.

A few years ago I had a FPV GT-P and my cousin had a E46 318i. Guess who got more attention and admiration? the BM of course
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 12:36 AM   #9
TAAXED
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

girls care about the badge I guess, but I don't really care for girls who only care about the car haha...unlike Rossi! Last I heard he had one of those fully sick 'for sale' signs on the back of his M3 hahaha
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 01:14 AM   #10
NATTYY
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Rossi View Post
I didnt even know what an M3 was...I went to the dealer one day and said "im in the market for a new car, which one pulls the most chix?" He pointed to the M3 and an hour later i was driving home in a nice white m3 (he also said chix like white).

I actually went to the Nissan dealers first and asked the same question "Im in the market for a new car, which one pulls the most chix" He looked at me through his thick spectacles and said "Pulls what?...." At that moment i knew Nissan wasnt for me.

I haven't laughed that hard in a long time! lol

By the way is it possible to change the USER NAME on here?

My finance' signed up when she got her 320d and never went on after she registered.

Me getting bored of my car's forum went on here and you guys are a pisser. I'm sick of people thinking it's a chick talking because of the NATTYY user name lol.

John.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 02:02 AM   #11
TAAXED
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Ah that makes sense now, the name and a 320d, I only replied because I thought you were a chick...
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 02:13 AM   #12
NATTYY
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAAXED View Post
Ah that makes sense now, the name and a 320d, I only replied because I thought you were a chick...
Thanks man
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 06:54 PM   #13
JOM3JO
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Anyway...we are all agree that: GTR and $$$cheap for that performance......i would own one if i love turbo car in the future!!
Appreciate 0