BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

EXXEL Distributions
Closed Thread

12-14-2011, 01:59 PM   #111
driersheets
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vioaltec View Post
So you are saying that it is ok to allow anyone, even your friend to disrespect you in such a profound way that exceeds the morality of common courtesy for ones personal property? If it was anything else besides a car, whose value and possible sentimental value exceeds much more than you could imagine, than it would probably be considered as a joke. However it wasnt, your talking about a car that costs 40k and up. You clearly have to be a spineless person who seldomly allows others to walk all over you and your personal belongings in the name of a "friendship" or a brat who was raised to not value what you own.
its a washable marker...calm down
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 02:12 PM   #112
vioaltec
Sasha Fierce
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 3 series coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by driersheets View Post
Quote:
So you are saying that it is ok to allow anyone, even your friend to disrespect you in such a profound way that exceeds the morality of common courtesy for ones personal property? If it was anything else besides a car, whose value and possible sentimental value exceeds much more than you could imagine, than it would probably be considered as a joke. However it wasnt, your talking about a car that costs 40k and up. You clearly have to be a spineless person who seldomly allows others to walk all over you and your personal belongings in the name of a "friendship" or a brat who was raised to not value what you own.
its a washable marker...calm down
That's not the point and it doesn't matter if it's washable marker, it's utterly rude and disrespectful.
      12-14-2011, 02:16 PM   #113
driersheets
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
That's not the point and it doesn't matter if it's washable marker, it's utterly rude and disrespectful.
not really.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 02:31 PM   #114
mithiral67
That guy
Rep
Drives: 2015 Cayman GTS

Garage List
The front was clever. It obviously took time and likely wouldn’t have done anything to the clear coat as it would have been done gently, assuming the ink doesn’t do damage.

The back looks like it was much more haphazardly and could have scratch the clear coat doing damage.

Personally, I wouldn’t have done it unless I was confident it would do zero damage to the car (ie tested on my car and likely thrown a quick coat of wax on for the spot I did the markering to ensure the car was protected).

I am confident that all those folks saying “don’t mess with someone’s car, period” say this thinking worst case scenario as it relates to damage to the paint/clear coat.

I am sure that any reasonable person would find this very entertaining if there is a guarantee that zero damage would be done. However, I have a feeling that the individual that did this probably doesn’t even understand how the ink could affect the clear coat or paint, let alone to know that you can damage the clear coat with something as simple as a marker. Hence why some folks have such a strong opinion against this prank.

Now some may say, who gives a shit about a scratch in the clear coat. Well there are those folks out there, and unless you are prepared to make whole something you damaged, you should be aware of others feelings about their propriety.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 02:44 PM   #115
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

Lol people in this thread need to lighten up. It's between friends and was done with washable marker, not an exacto knife. The countdown bit had me rolling.
      12-14-2011, 03:11 PM   #116
Gregxi
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithiral67 View Post
The front was clever. It obviously took time and likely wouldn’t have done anything to the clear coat as it would have been done gently, assuming the ink doesn’t do damage.

The back looks like it was much more haphazardly and could have scratch the clear coat doing damage.

Personally, I wouldn’t have done it unless I was confident it would do zero damage to the car (ie tested on my car and likely thrown a quick coat of wax on for the spot I did the markering to ensure the car was protected).

I am confident that all those folks saying “don’t mess with someone’s car, period” say this thinking worst case scenario as it relates to damage to the paint/clear coat.

I am sure that any reasonable person would find this very entertaining if there is a guarantee that zero damage would be done. However, I have a feeling that the individual that did this probably doesn’t even understand how the ink could affect the clear coat or paint, let alone to know that you can damage the clear coat with something as simple as a marker. Hence why some folks have such a strong opinion against this prank.

Now some may say, who gives a shit about a scratch in the clear coat. Well there are those folks out there, and unless you are prepared to make whole something you damaged, you should be aware of others feelings about their propriety.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 03:17 PM   #117
abisson
Canada FTW.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 VW R - Stg 2

Quote:
You need to calm the fuck down.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 03:21 PM   #118
mithiral67
That guy
Rep

Garage List
What do you need clarificaiton with greg?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 03:41 PM   #119
Gregxi
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What do you need clarificaiton with greg?
How do you damage clear coat with a dry erase marker?

That is what they used, a dry erase marker.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 03:49 PM   #120
mithiral67
That guy
Rep

Garage List
Most cars are dusty, if not dirty on the back. The felt tip will collect dust and slowly become wet sandpaper. From the pic, that back looks like it has something filthy on the lid, but who knows.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 03:57 PM   #121
Gregxi
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Most cars are dusty, if not dirty on the back. The felt tip will collect dust and slowly become wet sandpaper. From the pic, that back looks like it has something filthy on the lid, but who knows.
condensation?

Did you type that with a straight face?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 04:03 PM   #122
mithiral67
That guy
Rep

Garage List
My guess was that the person that did this, didn’t consider the possible effects of using a marker on a car, but I don’t know. You asked how a marker could scratch clear coat, which I explained. I have grown bored of this thread, so thanks for the distraction from work. Have a great holidays.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 07:52 PM   #123
Small Yellow
Track Addict
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW M3 E92 | 2008 Z4M E86

Quote:
My guess was that the person that did this, didn’t consider the possible effects of using a marker on a car, but I don’t know. You asked how a marker could scratch clear coat, which I explained. I have grown bored of this thread, so thanks for the distraction from work. Have a great holidays.
Mr. Audi washed his car that same day and we did consider the dry erase markers but considered something else because the chemicals in the dry erase marker may be bad for the paint. We used something kind of wax based that comes off easily with water. Basically you can hose it down. It was cold that night and after 3-4hr when we went to check up on it, it was already dripping off, plus it rained the next morning so his car would of already been dirty anyways. The rain washed all of it off.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 08:03 PM   #124
hks786
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: *

lol is this thread still going
      12-15-2011, 08:10 AM   #125
Gregxi
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuangYiChao View Post
Mr. Audi washed his car that same day and we did consider the dry erase markers but considered something else because the chemicals in the dry erase marker may be bad for the paint. We used something kind of wax based that comes off easily with water. Basically you can hose it down. It was cold that night and after 3-4hr when we went to check up on it, it was already dripping off, plus it rained the next morning so his car would of already been dirty anyways. The rain washed all of it off.
I always believed in you
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread