BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

07-23-2012, 11:19 PM   #1
boosted43
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 C43 AMG

Garage List
2015 BMW 335i  [0.00]
black wheels....

So i know this topic has been brought up multiple times. Personally my opinion on black wheels in general is they're tacky and overdone as hell. you can't even tell what the wheels look like many times when the wheels are painted. but to each their own, it's your car, you do what you want. i've really been taking colors into consideration on my new car. i'm really interested in space gray, however if that doesn't work for me i may just do alpine white.

now onto my question. i haven't seen any in person but i did find very few pictures of crazy wheel colors. i was thinking of getting a pair of hre's or adv1's and getting them powdercoated something crazy, but then i think again and i'm like that seems a little clownish. part of the reason i really like it is cause it's really different and no one really has it, very few people at the most. i was thinking if i go with alpine whit get the wheels powdercoated in white. my cousin had an m6 and had some white hre's one from the c lineup and it looked amazing. if i go alpine white i would really like to do that. if i do space gray i would consider doing an orange or green color, but if i don't i'd end up doing brushed or tinted aluminum. what do you guys think of the wheel/color combo and would anyone have pictures of m3's, or e9x with odd color wheels?

thank you guys.
      07-23-2012, 11:40 PM   #2
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

im not a fan of white on white but it has been done here. stick with a classic brush tinted hre on white will look nice.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 09:16 AM   #3
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

hmmm.. You think black wheels are tacky but are considering orange or green wheels?
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 09:25 AM   #4
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
hmmm.. You think black wheels are tacky but are considering orange or green wheels?
      07-24-2012, 10:35 AM   #5
Moxie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 328d Touring/SG 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabawi91 View Post
i was thinking of getting a pair of hre's or adv1's and getting them powdercoated something crazy, but then i think again and i'm like that seems a little clownish.
These two wheels are pretty similar - Can't go wrong with adv1's

I joke -
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 12:07 PM   #6
TRY...M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer
I know right? I had to re read that he even called black tacky? Rolling around on green rims is the tackiest thing I've ever heard of
Lamborghini-Talk.com: Christian.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 02:35 PM   #7
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRY...M3 View Post
I know right? I had to re read that he even called black tacky? Rolling around on green rims is the tackiest thing I've ever heard of
Now I will admit that I have wavered on my opinion on black wheels. I had them a few years ago and switched to gunmetal. I may have even told a few friends that black wheels are a little played out. I then watched a few ALMS races and saw the black wheels on some of the cars, then the continental challenge races with the black wheels on the RumBum and Fall-Line M3's. Lastly I attended the Dana Point Concourse and saw the cars below.... I decided to give black wheels another try:

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 06:58 PM   #8
TRY...M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer
Quote:
Now I will admit that I have wavered on my opinion on black wheels. I had them a few years ago and switched to gunmetal. I may have even told a few friends that black wheels are a little played out. I then watched a few ALMS races and saw the black wheels on some of the cars, then the continental challenge races with the black wheels on the RumBum and Fall-Line M3's. Lastly I attended the Dana Point Concourse and saw the cars below.... I decided to give black wheels another try:

Great point. I personally like black wheels on a lot of cars and I initially put them on my M3 but because every AW M3 had black wheels it seems I had to switch it up. They are played out but in a lot of cases they just look really good on a car haha
Lamborghini-Talk.com: Christian.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2012, 07:00 PM   #9
boosted43
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
chill bud...to each their own. all i was wondering is if someone had a picture to share of a car with different colored powder coated wheels. if you have nothing to share go elsewhere. and if you RE-READ again you'll see that it says i'm considering it...
      07-25-2012, 11:44 AM   #10
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
You know what's more played out than black wheels? Standard finish because they are on 99% of the cars on the road.

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 03:11 PM   #11
CarbonFoot
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
You know what's more played out than black wheels? Standard finish because they are on 99% of the cars on the road.
+1
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 05:13 PM   #12
boosted43
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 335i  [0.00]
im gonna end this topic and let you all know I'm gonna be doing most likely a gunmetal /brushed aluminum finish on space gray. can't go wrong...
      07-25-2012, 05:21 PM   #13
jonasaurus
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 [Sold]

Im a big fan of Anthracite, don't mind matte or satin black at all depending on the look youre after or type of wheels etc .I still remember having matte black Spoon wheels on my Honda EG around 2001!

Bright coloured wheels I think work typically when its a track dedicated car to generalise.. if a car had a half roll cage in the same colour as the wheels with a bucket seat for the driver and stripped out interior I wouldnt question it. However a stock car with bright coloured wheels would not be my cup of tea.
      07-27-2012, 05:56 PM   #14
tareemaa
Bimmer Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

I say go with a satin bronze or satin gunmetal on your alpine white, bronze I would say is a little more rare than the gunmetal but both will look great in my opinion
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 05:58 PM   #15
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszeh View Post
im not a fan of white on white but it has been done here. stick with a classic brush tinted hre on white will look nice.
Quote:
im gonna end this topic and let you all know I'm gonna be doing most likely a gunmetal /brushed aluminum finish on space gray. can't go wrong...
yes like i said in post number 2.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 09:33 AM   #16
Rob@StrasseWheels
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW G80 M3 Comp

Here is my Space Gray E92 M3 on Titanium Brushed with High Polished Step Lips!

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=720225

@Strasse_Robert | (786)701-3649 | Robert@StrasseWheels.com | www.StrasseWheels.com
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 01:21 AM   #17
Rshane
M-Flight Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

I'm going with a satin bronze for my Lemans blue.

2015 Audi S4 Prestige, Brilliant Black S-tronic
2012 Le Mans Blue 135i M Pkg DCT
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 10:34 AM   #18
Donbona
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 DCT 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
Oh, how did I miss this gem of a thread?! OP: I highly recommend ADV.1 wheels in white.
:
M3 E93 DCT, Space Grey,BC HB29 Forged Deep Concave Wheels, Ericsson Amuse F/R Bumper, Evolve Full Exhaust System, INTRAX Coilovers, STOPTECH BBK, Performance Steering Wheel,Custom Red/Black Leather Seats,///M3 ||Bimmerpost M3 Car Of The Month May - 2010SOLD
2010 R35 GTR
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 10:39 AM   #19
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
chill bud...to each their own. all i was wondering is if someone had a picture to share of a car with different colored powder coated wheels. if you have nothing to share go elsewhere. and if you RE-READ again you'll see that it says i'm considering it...
A few thoughts:

1. Quite a few people on this board have black wheels on their M3s (including me on my summer setup). So if you begin your post with a comment that black wheels look tacky, don't be surprised if some people take offense.

2. Before you spend thousands of dollars on a set of wheels, do a search here for the extremely poor press regarding ADV.1 wheels and the allegations regarding their build quality.

3. As suggested above, a brightly colored wheel contrasting with body color can look pretty cool on a track setup--do a search for kaiv's posts showing his red track wheels on his Alpine White M3. IMO not the best look for a daily street setup, though, unless you are really looking for constant attention (some of which may be unwanted).

4. There was a recent post on here (either in the wheels section or the photos/videos section) that showed white wheels on a dark car. Looked kind of interesting, but you know those wheels would get dirty in five seconds of driving. They would likely be a complete PITA. Maybe a look that's best reserved for car shows.

5. IMO, a white car on white wheels would be the epitome of tackiness. When I think of that look, I think of this:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 10:42 AM   #20
Donbona
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 DCT 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradocs98 View Post
A few thoughts:

1. Quite a few people on this board have black wheels on their M3s (including me on my summer setup). So if you begin your post with a comment that black wheels look tacky, don't be surprised if some people take offense.

2. Before you spend thousands of dollars on a set of wheels, do a search here for the extremely poor press regarding ADV.1 wheels and the allegations regarding their build quality.

3. As suggested above, a brightly colored wheel contrasting with body color can look pretty cool on a track setup--do a search for kaiv's posts showing his red track wheels on his Alpine White M3. IMO not the best look for a daily street setup, though, unless you are really looking for constant attention (some of which may be unwanted).

4. There was a recent post on here (either in the wheels section or the photos/videos section) that showed white wheels on a dark car. Looked kind of interesting, but you know those wheels would get dirty in five seconds of driving. They would likely be a complete PITA. Maybe a look that's best reserved for car shows.

5. IMO, a white car on white wheels would be the epitome of tackiness. When I think of that look, I think of this:
LMFAO
M3 E93 DCT, Space Grey,BC HB29 Forged Deep Concave Wheels, Ericsson Amuse F/R Bumper, Evolve Full Exhaust System, INTRAX Coilovers, STOPTECH BBK, Performance Steering Wheel,Custom Red/Black Leather Seats,///M3 ||Bimmerpost M3 Car Of The Month May - 2010SOLD
2010 R35 GTR
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 10:52 AM   #21
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad

I love black wheels for 2 simple reasons, it look bad ass they always look clean! Bright and flashy color wheels look a bit IMO, specially for a daily driver, and white on white is probably the uglyest combo there is, still IMO!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 01:31 PM   #22
NFAM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradocs98
Quote:
A few thoughts:

Hey hey hey!!!! Don't knock Miami Vice!!!! That was a great show. Then again, I live in Miami and had a white Benz on white HRE's!!