BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

02-03-2008, 12:31 PM   #1
drvai
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW

Choosing DCT over 6MT (meta-analysis)

Hi!!

I know this has been discussed, but I was wondering if the people that are choosing the DCT can summarize the reason of their decision.
I have always been a MT person, and really get bored when I don't have a clutch, but if there are reasonable facts maybe I will have to go for the DCT. For example, the launch control feature is something I really would like to have.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2008, 12:39 PM   #2
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
DCT vs. MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvai View Post
Hi!!

I know this has been discussed, but I was wondering if the people that are choosing the DCT can summarize the reason of their decision.
I have always been a MT person, and really get bored when I don't have a clutch, but if there are reasonable facts maybe I will have to go for the DCT. For example, the launch control feature is something I really would like to have.
I did not chosse DCT, but this was my thinking (post #62 here): http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...=110906&page=3

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2008, 12:40 PM   #3
nusevad
O! So Sour!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast 240z / Slow M3

Garage List
1971 Datsun 240z  [0.00]
2008 M3  [9.60]
I am a early adopter for new tech. and plus my fiancee can drive it too instead of burning out the clutch all the time.
      02-03-2008, 12:52 PM   #4
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep
Drives: 02 Maxima SE

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Hi!!

This has been discussed ad-nasuem. Many, many, many threads on this.
      02-03-2008, 01:10 PM   #5
drvai
Major
United_States
Rep

Well, thats why I had the idea of a meta-analysis.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2008, 01:13 PM   #6
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
I did not chosse DCT, but this was my thinking (post #62 here): http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...=110906&page=3
Add to your comparisons that it also appears the M-DCT will be about 2 tenth of a seconds faster on the 0-60 and quarter, but again, like the estimated MPG this has not been proven in real life.

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2008, 02:08 PM   #7
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
For me personally its faster and more fuel efficient, I love the idea of shifting right there with my hands on the steering at all times, as well as some times that clutch can be a real bother i.e., bumper to bumper traffic. Plus F1 technology in a street car is totally amazing. The list goes on and on.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2008, 02:23 PM   #8
OzStriker
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: Ford Falcon Ute, Ducati 1198S

Garage List
Well after 800kms, mostly through twisties I am oh so glad I went for the 6MT.

In bumper to bumper traffic the manny is an absolute joy to drive, very smooth and forgiving, apples and oranges I suppose, but compared to my Subaru, in traffic it is a beautiful box. There is so much power in this car you don't need to row through the gears all the time, there is plenty of torque at 2000rpm in the top gears without needing full pedal travel to give acceptable acceleration.

Get onto the twisties, select Sport Plus Power mode and you have yourself a beautifully responsive throttle coupled with excellent placement of the pedals allowing easy, crisp and satisfying heel-toe blipping on the downshifts.

I spent several hours through the twisties yesterday with a friend sitting next to me and another on a 750cc sportsbike and the sheer joy of sweeping through the corners and shifting smoothly up and down really proved to me that figures like 4.8 or 4.6 and all the graphs, shift times etc mean very little, in my world anyway.

Perhaps its just me, but I do notice this car attracts attention and in traffic I quite enjoy letting other drivers scream away from the lights and abuse their clutches, rear tyres etc whilst I jost potter along.

Gimme a twisty and the manny over a straight and the DCT anyday!!!

Disclaimer: This is my opinion, I am not trying to tell anyone they are wrong, don't flame me!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2008, 02:30 PM   #9
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzStriker View Post
Disclaimer: This is my opinion, I am not trying to tell anyone they are wrong, don't flame me!!!
Anyone that flames you based on your opinion is an idiot lol

Disclaimer: This is just my opinion lol

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2008, 05:53 PM   #10
the_stranger
Captain
India
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzStriker View Post
Well after 800kms, mostly through twisties I am oh so glad I went for the 6MT.

In bumper to bumper traffic the manny is an absolute joy to drive, very smooth and forgiving, apples and oranges I suppose, but compared to my Subaru, in traffic it is a beautiful box. There is so much power in this car you don't need to row through the gears all the time, there is plenty of torque at 2000rpm in the top gears without needing full pedal travel to give acceptable acceleration.

Get onto the twisties, select Sport Plus Power mode and you have yourself a beautifully responsive throttle coupled with excellent placement of the pedals allowing easy, crisp and satisfying heel-toe blipping on the downshifts.

I spent several hours through the twisties yesterday with a friend sitting next to me and another on a 750cc sportsbike and the sheer joy of sweeping through the corners and shifting smoothly up and down really proved to me that figures like 4.8 or 4.6 and all the graphs, shift times etc mean very little, in my world anyway.

Perhaps its just me, but I do notice this car attracts attention and in traffic I quite enjoy letting other drivers scream away from the lights and abuse their clutches, rear tyres etc whilst I jost potter along.

Gimme a twisty and the manny over a straight and the DCT anyday!!!

Thats a nice write up. It makes total sense.

2008 e92 M3 6MT AW/BLACK (SOLD)
2009 e92 M3 6MT AW/FR
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2008, 06:23 PM   #11
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

why cant BMW provide a Launch Control on the 6MT? even chevy has it on the new HHR SS model (the PT cruiser look alike)
      02-04-2008, 12:11 AM   #12
Mx3
M
Rep
Drives: 08.SpaceGry.DCT.19's,Tech,+

Quote:
Hi!!

My Top 6:
1. Performance (quicker acceleration)
2. Versatility (3 ways to drive, paddle shift, full auto, or gear shifting sequentially)
3. Ease for traffic driving
4. No clutch depression bodes well for not worsening my chronic back issue any further
5. Less shifting effort than in MT allows you to concerntrate on others things as you rapidly go through the gears and allows you to pay better attention on redline shifting etc..
6. Launch Control
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2008, 01:06 AM   #13
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Advantages of DCT(not in any particular order, except the first):
  • DCT is THE single option that will make the car have better performance, straights and twisties (it is very close to a 6MT with 440 hp and 320 ft lb torque)
  • DCT is customizeable through software (perhaps both BMW and other)
  • Manual modes via paddles and stick and automatic mode for traffic jams, comfort or inexperienced drivers
  • DCT allows one to focus on more cerebral and challenging aspects of performance driving
  • DCT provides better fuel economy
  • Launch control should be fun, fast and consistent
  • No "money shifts" with DCT
  • DCT is race technology for the road and BMW claims it is designed for race level "abuse"
  • Rev matched downshifts
  • The inherently smooth shifts with DCT may provide less shock and better wear of some transmission components
  • Clutch pedals are so 1950s

Advantages of MT:
  • Simplicity and perhaps reliability
  • False pride in your rowing abilities enabled by MT
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2008, 01:29 AM   #14
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mx3 View Post
My Top 6:
1. Performance (quicker acceleration)
2. Versatility (3 ways to drive, paddle shift, full auto, or gear shifting sequentially)
3. Ease for traffic driving
4. No clutch depression bodes well for not worsening my chronic back issue any further
5. Less shifting effort than in MT allows you to concerntrate on others things as you rapidly go through the gears and allows you to pay better attention on redline shifting etc..
6. Launch Control

Haha - having fun?

1. for the less skilled driver
2. for the video game kids
3. for those tha must work for a living
4. for the eldrerly
5. for the those with poor concentration
6. again for the less skilled video gamers. but rally I am jealous cause BMW could provide a launch control for the 6MT. ;(
      02-04-2008, 11:37 AM   #15
Mx3
M
Rep
Drives: 08.SpaceGry.DCT.19's,Tech,+

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Advantages of DCT(not in any particular order, except the first):
  • DCT is THE single option that will make the car have better performance, straights and twisties (it is very close to a 6MT with 440 hp and 320 ft lb torque)
  • DCT is customizeable through software (perhaps both BMW and other)
  • Manual modes via paddles and stick and automatic mode for traffic jams, comfort or inexperienced drivers
  • DCT allows one to focus on more cerebral and challenging aspects of performance driving
  • DCT provides better fuel economy
  • Launch control should be fun, fast and consistent
  • No "money shifts" with DCT
  • DCT is race technology for the road and BMW claims it is designed for race level "abuse"
  • Rev matched downshifts
  • The inherently smooth shifts with DCT may provide less shock and better wear of some transmission components
  • Clutch pedals are so 1950s

Advantages of MT:
  • Simplicity and perhaps reliability
  • False pride in your rowing abilities enabled by MT
+1
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2008, 11:49 AM   #16
cameba5
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i E92 & E92 M3 - En Route!

im so proud of BMW for producing such amazing technology as DCT, but i went 6MT...its just so sexy, and pure. Yeah, you DCT guys will get me by 0.2 seconds. But i'm ok with that. the point is: the M3 is simply amazing no matter what changes the gears.

peace
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2008, 01:11 PM   #17
the_stranger
Captain
India
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 6MT

Garage List
can someone explain what launch control exactly does?

2008 e92 M3 6MT AW/BLACK (SOLD)
2009 e92 M3 6MT AW/FR
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2008, 01:45 PM   #18
drvai
Major
United_States
Rep

The launch control is tempting, but the other arguments are not too convincing, unless you don't really dominate a MT.

Why would it make it have better performance (apart from the 0.2 seg faster in 0 to 60)?
A MT will definitely not make you loose concentration, assuming you are used (and know) how to drive a MT.... the same thing with the rev matching.

My concern is reliability (you never know if the first production units will work perfectly) and if it will really work nicely.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2008, 02:14 PM   #19
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
The launch control is tempting, but the other arguments are not too convincing, unless you don't really dominate a MT.

Why would it make it have better performance (apart from the 0.2 seg faster in 0 to 60)?
A MT will definitely not make you loose concentration, assuming you are used (and know) how to drive a MT.... the same thing with the rev matching.

My concern is reliability (you never know if the first production units will work perfectly) and if it will really work nicely.
As much as I struggle with the choices, I have to agree with your post, especially the last sentence.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2008, 02:19 PM   #20
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_stranger View Post
can someone explain what launch control exactly does?
Well... basically, once engaged (from a dead stop), you floor the go pedal and keep it to the wood, with your other foot on the brake (I believe). The engine speed automatically rises to 4-5k, where it remains until you release the brake at which time the car is launched. The system controls the amount of throttle dependant upon traction until the car is completely underway. This is supposed to be, and likely is, the most efficient method. Once fully launched you engage the subsequent shifts.

I am not certain of the exact revs, but that is essentially how it is done.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2008, 02:35 PM   #21
OzStriker
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: Ford Falcon Ute, Ducati 1198S

Garage List
Im not sure thats quite right, I of course may be wrong, but I thought you select the RPMs using the cruise control lever and the launch is with DSC off and FULL throttle the whole time, wheel slip is controlled via clutch slip?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2008, 02:56 PM   #22
gadget
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e92///M SSII DCT

I can't drive a stick

Let the flames begin
Appreciate 0