BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

EXXEL Distributions

07-15-2010, 03:28 PM   #1
templarklimek
templarklimek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15' X6M, 12' R8 V10,

CTS-V in person

So the dealer calls me today to have me look at a CTS-V coupe that just came in.

A. Looks much better in person. The styling is still in your face but at least it has identity. The butt is BIG, however in keeping with the rest of the car is doable. The car would have street presence for sure. Bigger than my S5 thus bigger than an M3. Almost 650i big but not quite. Less overhang. didn't like chromed out rims, they were factory. It lessons the sporting aspect of this car. Mistake. No cross drilled rotors either, maybe it's an option groupe for better brake package. The grill also has too much bling. Doors were intersting, no handle just button. What happens if battery dies and your in it?

B. Interior was lovely, much better than M3. Slightly better than even my S5.
Quality materials and good execution. Nice seats. Leather and alcantara inserts. it flowed around you nicely. Nice job GM. Kudo's for offering a stick too. That issue kept me from a GTR or RS-5.

Of course can't drive this one but I'm sure it's a monster.

Overall although not a trackable car like M3 but it may compete for so of the same money. As they are neck and neck in price. I'm thinking M6 type level here but better interior. They have a winner with this car. Yes the styling is devisive but it does make a statement. Again the rims were horrid, should offer performance pack rather than bling package.

Dealer was saying would I put a deposit on it? I said perhaps but not over MSRP they want over MSRP for it. didn't even ask how much. I would consider it though. Can't argue with the Horsepower and the lovely interior.

Thanks for reading.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 03:51 PM   #2
photogS
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 M3, 10 X5 35d

I wonder if they'll sell.
I live in Motown area and see very, very few CTS-V's on the street. They are not hot sellers from what I can see.

I haven't see the coupe in person yet, but from the pictures it looks like one ugly car. I can't imagine ever warming up to it. Sedan looks much better IMO. I seriously doubt they can sell them over MSRP - maybe few cars at the beginning, but I wouldn't bet on it.

BTW, I don't know about CTS-V being not as trackable as M3 (it sounds like M3 is a track monster which it isn't).
I believe it may be much faster than M3, especially on faster tracks. Let's not forgett M3 is not really a track car either - it's capable, no question, but with the weight it carries brakes and tires overheat.

Both cars are impressive, I just like the styling of the M3 more.
      07-15-2010, 03:51 PM   #3
photogS
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray23 View Post
Also, its a faster car around a track then an M3.
Agreed, we posted at the same time
      07-15-2010, 04:34 PM   #4
SchnellM3
Digger
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 E46 M3

Garage List
I just test drove one last weekend. The car is a major beast, I was barely getting into it and was easly coming up on 120.

Car has great outer appearence, back end could use some work but over its pretty much a wolf in sheeps clothing if you dont know what your looking at.

As for the interior it has the typical crappy amercian shiney plastic trim, but the recaro seats were great.

For the price its definatly a hell of a buy

Full Innotech Exhaust - DINAN Intake - IND Engine Bay Appearance - IND Hand Stitched Boot Covers - and much more....
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 04:37 PM   #5
Ender's Game
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 ZCP + 2 car seats

Still can't build one on the website. Interested to see what the options are and the price. Although still much more interested in the wagon (got two kids).
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 05:52 PM   #6
MaxL
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, Cayenne T, 991 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by photogS View Post
I live in Motown area and see very, very few CTS-V's on the street. They are not hot sellers from what I can see.

I haven't see the coupe in person yet, but from the pictures it looks like one ugly car. I can't imagine ever warming up to it. Sedan looks much better IMO. I seriously doubt they can sell them over MSRP - maybe few cars at the beginning, but I wouldn't bet on it.

BTW, I don't know about CTS-V being not as trackable as M3 (it sounds like M3 is a track monster which it isn't).
I believe it may be much faster than M3, especially on faster tracks. Let's not forgett M3 is not really a track car either - it's capable, no question, but with the weight it carries brakes and tires overheat.

Both cars are impressive, I just like the styling of the M3 more.
CTS-V is not as trackable as M3 for the same reason you are saying M3 is not a true track car - it's too big and heavy. CTS-V also has ridiculously small rubber patch touching the road for it's weight and power. And there are practically no tires produced in the sizes it needs to be able to open up 100% and not melt rubber after 20 minutes. M3's easily ruins 275 all-around and even 275-295 set ups when pushed, and CTS-V would need 30% more rubber on the road for the same job (and it comes with 255 at front stock). Also, it has much higher center of weight compared to M3s, and lower relative heat dissipation capacity of engine and tranny (relatively to the power). So it is much less of a track-ready car than an M3.

Oh, and it's not really faster anywhere except straight line, at least according to this: http://fastestlaps.com/comparisons/4...178a0c1bc.html

Still, I'd get CTS-V wagon (which would never see track) over X5M if it was not as poorly styled on the outside and did not have plastic parts that feel like they are made from cream-cheese cans on the inside. GM needs to go a bit further with this one...

Last edited by MaxL; 07-15-2010 at 06:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 08:20 PM   #7
photogS
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxL View Post
CTS-V is not as trackable as M3 for the same reason you are saying M3 is not a true track car - it's too big and heavy. CTS-V also has ridiculously small rubber patch touching the road for it's weight and power. And there are practically no tires produced in the sizes it needs to be able to open up 100% and not melt rubber after 20 minutes. M3's easily ruins 275 all-around and even 275-295 set ups when pushed, and CTS-V would need 30% more rubber on the road for the same job (and it comes with 255 at front stock). Also, it has much higher center of weight compared to M3s, and lower relative heat dissipation capacity of engine and tranny (relatively to the power). So it is much less of a track-ready car than an M3.

Oh, and it's not really faster anywhere except straight line, at least according to this: http://fastestlaps.com/comparisons/4...178a0c1bc.html

Still, I'd get CTS-V wagon (which would never see track) over X5M if it was not as poorly styled on the outside and did not have plastic parts that feel like they are made from cream-cheese cans on the inside. GM needs to go a bit further with this one...

I don't know, maybe I wasn't clear. Neither car is really a track monster.
Both are heavy pigs that can do a decent one or two laps, but keep pushing and your brakes and tires will melt and then a Pinto will pass you

"not as trackable as M3". One could believe that M3 is built for track days, but in reality it's just a GT that can be tracked from time to time, if you don't push too hard for too many laps. Laps, not one or two laps is the key here.

I looked at the link you provided, and TBH I'm pleasantly surprised. I thought CTS-V would have an edge
      07-15-2010, 09:12 PM   #8
rabman5
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: none

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by photogS View Post

I haven't see the coupe in person yet, but from the pictures it looks like one ugly car. I can't imagine ever warming up to it. Sedan looks much better IMO. I seriously doubt they can sell them over MSRP - maybe few cars at the beginning, but I wouldn't bet on it..
I saw about 5 of them heading east on I-96 by Brighton a few weeks ago. Obviously GM engineers out for a drive. IMO it looked much better in person.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 09:12 PM   #9
bobbyd1961
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue

its a gm car not a BMW and too angular nah il pass
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 01:07 AM   #10
Poppin Fresh
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: With a sunroof and front plate

It kinda reminds me of this:
      07-16-2010, 08:15 AM   #11
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 + Spur, DB11, F12, X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray23 View Post
The wheels are not chrome, they are polished and they offer them in silver too. Also, its a faster car around a track then an M3. Cross drilled rotors wouldnt make a difference in this car since its stopping power is already amazing for a 2 ton car. Its just a gimmick in todays cars. people think it looks cool and "racey","sporty". And the chrome is there because at the end of the day its still a Cadillac and needs to fit the luxury segment as well. I would love to have one.
Cross-drilled rotors are for cooling. If one were to measure the heat dissipation of a cross-drilled rotor over a non-cross-drilled rotor, I would suspect a difference. I am not sure why you would say that this is a gimmick when it clearly isn't. However, for the grandpa driving around in the CTS-V, I'm sure they wouldn't be the wiser.

-SZ
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 08:26 AM   #12
Golgothar
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe

I posted on the previous CT-V coupe thread that they are much better looking in person.

I agree that the interior is better quality than the M3's except for the blingy shiny plastic crap. Exterior i would debadge the caddy symbol for sure.

Templarklimek just curious what dealership did you see the Coupe at i ask because I'm in H-town as well!

OLD - 2008 Sparkling Graphite DCT e92
Rpi Scoops/Dinan Intake/DinanECUtune/DinanPulley/DinanExhaust/DinanStg 2 Suspension/Plus some cosmetic mods *SOLD*
NEW- 2011 Black Saphire 550i Sport (Some cosmetic mods/Dinan mods soon)
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 10:15 AM   #13
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

My Neighbor has one. It's awesome looking.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 10:30 AM   #14
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 + Spur, DB11, F12, X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golgothar View Post
I posted on the previous CT-V coupe thread that they are much better looking in person.

I agree that the interior is better quality than the M3's except for the blingy shiny plastic crap. Exterior i would debadge the caddy symbol for sure.

Templarklimek just curious what dealership did you see the Coupe at i ask because I'm in H-town as well!
My dad and I test drove one about 6 months ago and I really didn't think the interior was nicer than the M3s, especially all that cheap black plastic in the center console area. However, the one we drove did not have the Recaro seats. The Recaro seat option does step it up a notch!

I wish the M3 came with Recaros and Brembos!

-SZ
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 11:40 AM   #15
rabman5
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: none

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golgothar View Post
Exterior i would debadge the caddy symbol for sure.
I'm digging this badge though

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 12:37 PM   #16
Golgothar
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabman5 View Post
I'm digging this badge though

That badge is cool for sure the one i have an issue with is the coffee saucer sized caddy badge:
Attached Images

Rpi Scoops/Dinan Intake/DinanECUtune/DinanPulley/DinanExhaust/DinanStg 2 Suspension/Plus some cosmetic mods *SOLD*
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 12:42 PM   #17
Golgothar
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-ZERO View Post
My dad and I test drove one about 6 months ago and I really didn't think the interior was nicer than the M3s, especially all that cheap black plastic in the center console area. However, the one we drove did not have the Recaro seats. The Recaro seat option does step it up a notch!

I wish the M3 came with Recaros and Brembos!

-SZ
I mentioned the shiny plastic craptastic console as well!

The coupe i saw had the recaro seats with the suede inserts and was very nice plus the Nav looked allot better than mine but i have an 08.

Yeah kinda sad that even a Camaro SS gets Brembos and we dont...

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 01:41 PM   #18
templarklimek
templarklimek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15' X6M, 12' R8 V10,

It was at Stewart caddy at 2520 Main street. It was a gun metal looking color.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 01:51 PM   #19
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

yeah but i don't think there the brembos that we would buy on a aftermarket BBK kit for almost 7k, i highly doubt that is the case. there is no way that the SS could come with 7k brembo kit and be that cheap. same for the ones that come on a 350Z

now the ones that are on like a ZR1 or Z06 different story but i doubt the others are that much better braking times then our stock M3 brakes etc
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 01:40 PM   #20
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Honda S2000 TT3

I'm sure the CTS-V uses the same electric door poppers that the Vette uses which means if the battery dies while you are in the car you use a pull handle mounted near the bottom of the seat.
2009 BMW M3 Coupe: Sold e92.ridedomain.com
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 04:19 PM   #21
EJ_92606
Ultimate Driving Machine
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F10 550i; '11 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-ZERO View Post
Cross-drilled rotors are for cooling. If one were to measure the heat dissipation of a cross-drilled rotor over a non-cross-drilled rotor, I would suspect a difference. I am not sure why you would say that this is a gimmick when it clearly isn't. However, for the grandpa driving around in the CTS-V, I'm sure they wouldn't be the wiser.

-SZ
Sorry but this conventional wisdom just isn't true.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 05:58 PM   #22
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
AT C&C

Here are some Pics of the new V..
Attached Images

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0