BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

EXXEL Distributions

05-09-2011, 12:05 PM   #67
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

I imagine the RS 4.0 will be down to $130k within a couple of years. I've already seen some really nice GT2s down in the $130k range, and they were priced similarly when they came out. There are going to be some pretty sick/fast factory Porsches to be had for a (relatively) low amount of money over the next 10 years.
      05-09-2011, 12:44 PM   #68
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by FStop7 View Post
There are going to be some pretty sick/fast factory Porsches to be had for a (relatively) low amount of money over the next 10 years.
???

Relative to what?

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 12:50 PM   #69
crackberry
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Carrera GTS (997.2)

cant wait for the reviews to come in

many p enthusiasts are saying that this car will maintain its value very very well over the next 10 years
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 12:59 PM   #70
crackberry
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yemenmocha View Post
Wow, the penis envy... ahem I mean Porsche envy is strong in this thread. If cannot afford one, must hate... must hate... Who could have guessed this about M3 owners?
i 100% get what you mean. many people here are so jealous of p car owners. so much to the point that they convince themselves that the prick joke is about bmw owners and not p car owners (whats the difference between a porcupine and a porsche? not bmw) they convince themselves that their neighbors and coworkers are all jealous of them. delusions of grandeur plagues the forums (not everyone, but a lot of people).

why cant people realize that both m cars and p cars can be great without putting one down over the other?

why take offense yemen? its actually very very funny and provides a lot of good laughs for me, my friends, and my family. id never walk up to a to someone with a porsche, lambo or ferarri and say a bmw is a status symbol. i couldnt take myself seriously and there is no way they would take me seriously.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 07:28 PM   #71
N8dawg
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackberry View Post
i 100% get what you mean. many people here are so jealous of p car owners. so much to the point that they convince themselves that the prick joke is about bmw owners and not p car owners (whats the difference between a porcupine and a porsche? not bmw) they convince themselves that their neighbors and coworkers are all jealous of them. delusions of grandeur plagues the forums (not everyone, but a lot of people).

why cant people realize that both m cars and p cars can be great without putting one down over the other?

why take offense yemen? its actually very very funny and provides a lot of good laughs for me, my friends, and my family. id never walk up to a to someone with a porsche, lambo or ferarri and say a bmw is a status symbol. i couldnt take myself seriously and there is no way they would take me seriously.
I wanna see some threads that your mentioning because I've never seen an m3 owner say any of that about a gt3
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2011, 11:40 PM   #72
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

thats just filthy!

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 11:37 AM   #73
crackberry
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8dawg View Post
I wanna see some threads that your mentioning because I've never seen an m3 owner say any of that about a gt3
Hey

I'm not sure if I understand what you are trying to ask or implying, but my original post was about m3 owners who are jealous of porsche owners. Please reread my previous post using that point of view and I believe it will clear up some miscommunication. Here are some threads that clearly show how many bmw owners have major delusions of grandeur. Stories of how other drivers are green with envy, coworkers and families jealous of bmws and 328i's are rampant. The funniest thing I have read is about the porsche prick joke. Many bmw enthusiasts have convinced themselves that the joke was originally meant for them. Some people will do these mental gymnastics and twist anything to make themselves feel superior.

After reading those threads, one thing that still resonates with me is when someone said if you are buying a car to impress other people, then the person you are most impressing is yourself, not other people. I thought that it was very inciteful as most people truly don't care about what you are driving.

I also like the response to a 328i driver: If a bmw is a status symbol in where you live, then move.

I love bmws, but its obvious many of these responses have been colored green with porsche envy and insecurity. Again, why be jealous? bmws are great cars. Porsche just does it better, which is okay.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...ht=drive+crazy

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...prick+bmw+joke

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...=status+symbol
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 12:43 PM   #74
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
???

Relative to what?
Well, we're talking about cars that are still going to cost approximately $100,000 - that's a lot of money, keeping things in perspective to 99% of the rest of the world which would never dream of spending so much money on a car. But relative to their original prices of pushing $200k it's low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift@red View Post
That will not be the case for this car. With only 146 or 148 coming here, these will likely be bubble cars and will be the last of the Mezger engine. They will command high premiums new (likely 50-75K over MSRP) and will def be quite a collectors car for the most part. Same as the GT2 RS.
These cars will be FIRST available to anyone purchasing a 918 Spyder, so you can be sure a lot of them will end up a collecor's cars.
I doubt this. They might command a premium for a while and then they'll come down. There are so many hi-po 911 variants out there to choose from. And the bottom line is that it's about to be replaced by a newer generation car that will inevitably be faster. The demand will move on to that, and these will come down in price. If you can buy a Ferrari Scuderia for $175k these days then you're going to be able to buy a GT3 RS 4.0 for $130k in a few years. 99% of modern cars aren't investments.

Last edited by FStop7; 05-10-2011 at 12:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 02:09 PM   #75
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Bottom Line: sick car. Never owned a GT3, but would if I could I think....

Nice job Porsche......keeping the N/A dream alive

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 05:59 PM   #76
crackberry
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My point is that this is THE LAST of the Mezger engine...similar to the last of the air cooled these will hold a special place in history and in Porsche's history since they wont be used in Porsche's road cars anymore. Since they are offering them first to the people buying the 918 Spyder, most will going to people who already have GT3s or GT3 RS' and will be collector cars. I know of someone who just bought a 918 Spyder, a GT2 RS and RS 4.0 from my local dealership back at home in NJ and the RS 4.0 is going to be strictly a collector.
You hit the nail on the head.

How others feel about the S65 and s85 being the last NA engines is similar to how others feel about this being porsche's last Mezger engine. It's an end of an era, and this car will hold onto its value (after the initial depreciation of course).
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 02:22 AM   #77
clar
Major
Singapore
Rep
Drives: M5

Not really a fan of Porsche's flat 6 engine note. If not for this and the way their 911s look, i would have gotten one.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 06:03 PM   #78
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep
Drives: 645

Quote:
My point is that this is THE LAST of the Mezger engine...
we actually don't know that, that is just speculation IMHO.

Quote:
I know of someone who just bought a 918 Spyder
Are the dealers taking orders for the 918 already?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 12:26 PM   #79
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTS View Post
we actually don't know that, that is just speculation IMHO.

Are the dealers taking orders for the 918 already?
There may be some truth to that. If it is not the end it IS very close to that. The reason I say this is that there now is a very strong rumor that Porsche will be releasing yet another 911 flavor called the GT3 "S". It is rumored to have the same 500 hp Mezger but with a wide body ala RS and PDK "S". It will also run Motor-sport brakes, RSR body parts, roll bar and a host of other racing suspension tweaks. The Center Locks will be updated to a quicker more user friendly system w/5 bolts as an option. One interesting feature (don't laugh yet as I am only the messenger) is the quick detach Nav/Stereo head feature which unclips in basically less than 5 minutes to reduce weight for track days. This will save about 5-7 lbs. Very limited to numbers less than the speculated 125 US 4.0 RS cars. Either way the Mezger has seen its last days as the 9A1 will supersede.

I recall reading something that Porsche could not mate PDK to the Mezger block and find it difficult to believe they would modify the current platform to accept PDK for a very small run. Of course, Porsche HAS introduced another "special" GTS (albeit the 9A1 engine) in an AWD platform. Much of the attraction of the GTS was that it offered a wide body in a RWD package which is otherwise exclusive to very few models, i.e. GT2 and RS. Far to many flavors, imo. I guess we will see.

Last edited by devo; 05-16-2011 at 06:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 05:51 PM   #80
N8dawg
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by attila View Post
My problem with this car - and with the 3.8 RS - is that they are trying to serve a dual pupose, namely being a road car but great on the track. No use. You cannot have both.
My RS is great on the track, truly amazing, now after 2 track days and alignment I can say the step from the M3 on the track is as large as the step to the M3 from a Audi A4. But, and here is a big but the car is not good as a road car, just isn't. So I am thinking right now - and I thought about the new 4.0 RS too and dismissed- to get the Cup S or a Radical SR8. No reason to go halfway. (my prior reason was not to have a trailer)
Could you please elaborate on why you don't think it's a good road car?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2011, 08:41 PM   #81
Martin_D
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ford Super Duty

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8dawg View Post
Could you please elaborate on why you don't think it's a good road car?
It is fine road car. I drive one everyday. I also track it heavily.
Appreciate 0