BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Mporium BMW

09-05-2013, 11:41 PM   #1
DiegoM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Alpine White

Coilover: Driver inputs from those who has KW DDC, KW Clubsport, TCKlineOhlins

I DD and track the car 6-8x/year. I have been running on stock competition pckg. suspensions the past 2 years. I think it's time for coilovers. Looking between KW DDC (is it even worth it?), KW Clubsport, OHlins, TCKline.

Last edited by DiegoM; 09-06-2013 at 12:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 10:26 AM   #2
2000gsr
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4

The kw clubsports shaved 1 second off my lap time over stock at our local track after being corner balanced and aligned (-2.0 front camber). Car looks better with the gap gone and ride is a little rougher.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 08:56 PM   #3
Modena NYC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90

Subscribes
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 09:50 PM   #4
bracer
Mr Bill
Rep
Drives: GLC63

I'm running the TC Kline S/A with 400/700. Car is very nice on the street, but still too soft for my tastes on the track. This would be a good system for someone who tracks a few times a year, and wants great street manners. If you're an aggressive track type, I would look for something else.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2013, 10:26 PM   #5
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

I run KW CS on my car and I love them. I think its a true street/track coilover in that handling performance is dramatically improved while still maintaing a modicum of streetability.

I am putting TCK S/As on my E36 M3. TCK has a great reputation in the BMW community. They will customize a set of coilovers for your needs.

I would go KW CS or TCK... I think you will be happy either way.
      10-16-2013, 01:01 AM   #6
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiegoM View Post
I DD and track the car 6-8x/year. I have been running on stock competition pckg. suspensions the past 2 years. I think it's time for coilovers. Looking between KW DDC (is it even worth it?), KW Clubsport, OHlins, TCKline.
Ohlins R&T will give you the best all around performance especially where camber plates aren't needed and street ride quality is a concern.

Ohlins is the only one listed here that allows front height adjustments without load or unloading the springs.

And the only one with dual flow valve technology(DVF):

http://www.hpashop.com/Road-Track_c332.htm
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 11:04 AM   #7
swifty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80, Levante & Tesla 100D

I ran the tckline true match on my 335. The quality leaves a lot to be desired. I believe part of it is they don't manufacture the shocks etc themselves & the other part is the customer service.

Back in the day they were all the rage and still is to an extent but with quality products like Ohlins and JRZ at similiar pricing, I would rather go with those if I'm going to upgrade the stock edc suspension on the M3s.
Past: Alpine white e46 323i, Jet Black e39 530, Saph Black e60 530, Space Grey N54 e92 335, Mineral White N55 e92 335

Last edited by swifty; 10-16-2013 at 01:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 11:55 AM   #8
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post
I ran the tckline road and track on my 335. The quality leaves a lot to be desired. I believe part of it is they don't manufacture the shocks etc themselves & the other part is the customer service.

Back in the day they were all the rage and still is to an extent but with quality products like Ohlins and JRZ at similiar pricing, I would rather go with those if I'm going to upgrade the stock edc suspension on the M3s.
It has something to do with the twin tube technology, how quickly damping forces are generated and valving. TCKR dampers are generally on the softer side to be matched to lower rate springs. For serious street and track use, many of you will likely want the dampers valved a little bit more aggressively or start off with monotubes.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 12:44 PM   #9
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post
I ran the tckline road and track on my 335. The quality leaves a lot to be desired. I believe part of it is they don't manufacture the shocks etc themselves & the other part is the customer service.

Quality in look and feel or quality in function? I have rarely heard a complaint about TCK on a primarily street driven car.
      10-16-2013, 01:03 PM   #10
swifty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80, Levante & Tesla 100D

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEllis View Post
Quality in look and feel or quality in function? I have rarely heard a complaint about TCK on a primarily street driven car.
Quality in overall function. The feel of the shocks I guess is fine because they used Konis on the true match though custom valved but at the end of the day it's still konis for almost the same price as ASTs. Also the early adopters had issues with the springs as it was a tad too wide. There is a whole thread on it on e90post and I've had many pms back and forth with other members. Plus the suspension would easily bottom out as well even though I wasn't slammed (1.5 finger gap).

Also the older konis were exposed and not as durable in winters and neither were the original springs. Think the new ones have cover on the shocks.

Customer service: Well initially when I called them, they gave me the price of the new springs and told me I had to pay. Told them this should be covered under warranty and they never bothered to get back to me seeing I'm in Canada. Then when the e90 thread went up their rep here and I went back and forth and then he asked that I read out the part numbers (which would mean uninstall or removing all the rims etc) even though I told them what they were from the original details I had. Nway I planned to upgrade either way so gave up on trying to reason with them.

All I'm saying is that there are better options now at that price point and like Harold stated, many of the newer ones are monotubes.
Past: Alpine white e46 323i, Jet Black e39 530, Saph Black e60 530, Space Grey N54 e92 335, Mineral White N55 e92 335

Last edited by swifty; 10-16-2013 at 08:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 07:01 PM   #11
Endless619
DHS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiegoM View Post
There are other options out there.

I liked Aragosta for daily/track use and for all out track use go Penske or Moton and be done with it. KW is not even on the same planet. I am a former owner of KW and they are like what Stoptech or Wilwood is to BBK's. Not on the Brembo, Endless, Alcon, Project Mu (Race Caliper Kits) level but damn awesome for the price! Best bang for the buck so to speak.

Last edited by Endless619; 10-16-2013 at 07:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 07:17 PM   #12
kchu221
JDM whore
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2009 997.1 Turbo

I got a set of JRZ RS dampers with swift springs and GC camber plates for sale, ill let is go for a good price if youre interested! the spring rates are 450/650 since I drive the car for streets, but I can get you set up with brand new springs from swift at a price no vendors can touch since my homie works at swift usa! I think JRZ's speak for itself!
      10-16-2013, 07:29 PM   #13
Wendall
***Major MammelToe
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 SG coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless619 View Post
There are other options out there.

I liked Aragosta for daily/track use and for all out track use go Penske or Moton and be done with it. KW is not even on the same planet. I am a former owner of KW and they are like what Stoptech or Wilwood is to BBK's. Not on the Brembo, Endless, Alcon, Project Mu (Race Caliper Kits) level but damn awesome for the price! Best bang for the buck so to speak.
I agree with most of what is said but KWs and Stoptechs are not way off. They are the best bang. Both have very good product finish/quality. I was disappointed in my KWs initially until i broke them in (~1000 miles) and now I love them. My stoptechs were sweet from the beginning.

I highly recommend KW's for the price. You can get KW clubsports for ~$2600 range. I can feel the difference of each click and it has great adjustability range. My only issues is I think they are a bit short. I am on full height on the rears and its about eibach height, front has plenty of height range.
E92 M3 SG DCT - AA Filter, Verstraβe Paddles, ECS SS, MH race stud, Stoptech BBK, MR Exhaust,RE Pulley, BPM Tune,Euro bumper and GTS lip, Euro MDM & DCT, KW CS, Recaro PP, TMS Soild Diff Mounts, MRF solid subframe mounts, GTS aero, RPM track built motor.

Appreciate 0