BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

05-24-2008, 12:09 PM   #1
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

Just drove a SL63

first off let me say that some people may hate the looks and some may love them

Personally I really like the refreshed bumpers, and that rear diffuser is pure sex

The interior updates were kept minimal. The D shaped steering wheel. aluminum paddles and very racey seats are a very welcome change.

Now to the good stuff.

As soon as you put the key in, the cluster lights up with a beautiful bright white glow. Start her up and hear the massive 6.2l roar with life as the gauges do a self quick test.

I put her in D, take it to the street and pull over immediatly.

I press the AMG button, set the ESP to sport. set the gearbox to M and lower the adjustable ABC suspension to the lowest in can go.

From what i noticed the AMG button puts the suspension on sport, esp on sport, and trans on sport. Mind you the trans has comfort, sport, sport plus, and manual settings. Ill take manual thank you.

Now it just finished raining here in socal so the streets are wet.

So with my settings in place i take off....

The sound coming from the engine is god like, not many v8 can pull this sound off.. and the gurgle that came out when i let off the throttle was also a pleasant sound.

The power is as you imagined, unreal... this engine loves to rev and the torque rush is instantanious.

Now this is mercedes' first stab at a DCT trans so I did not have my hopes up. Well my faith was misplaced because this trans is surely a winner. The shifts are lighting fast and almost unnoticable. The throttle blipping downshifts allow this little SL to maintain the proper rpm for your speed, just so you can further mash the throttle going out of the turn.

One thing i wanted to add to the topic of the trans, for discussion not debate, is that after driven numerious ///m cars with SMG, i think that benz may have one uped BMW, there is no jolt in the amg like you feel in a ///m

Now for those who have driven benzs before know that the ESP can be very intrusive, even if you turn it off.

Well let me tell you this is not the case this time. With ESP sport on I floored the car, the car did a little tail wag ESP light came on to correct the rear end for just a second and then BAM traction was achieved and im flying like a bat out of hell.

Another nice feature is that you can now turn it OFF, and when I say off...i mean OFF!!! meaning you better know what youre doing kind of off.

As for the handling, well mercedes have always been on the hefty side and well to be honest kind of boatish at moments(mind you have i have a 07 e class so i know the feeling). Well they did something right because AMG has revamped the abc suspension and i kid you not this car handles like it is on rails.

So in a nutshell I can say without a doubt in my mind that this AMG is my favorite and best out of any car benz has ever put out. If mercedes takes key features from this car and puts it into all their AMGs....well the ///M division better watch out.

Last edited by Crimson92; 05-24-2008 at 01:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2008, 12:15 PM   #2
McLuVan
Lieutenant General
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: ///M3

wo WOOOOOOOOO
i want to drive one too
      05-24-2008, 12:16 PM   #3
Amir87
Gruppe Titan
Pakistan
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 SG/Coral

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [10.00]
Nice Review!

My dad used to have an SL55 AMG, and sounds like the new SL63 is light years ahead!

AMG has really stepped up their game!
      05-24-2008, 12:21 PM   #4
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amir87 View Post
Nice Review!

My dad used to have an SL55 AMG, and sounds like the new SL63 is light years ahead!

AMG has really stepped up their game!
i have driven sl 55 and sl 65 as well...and i can tell you that this is a different beast....it can only be described with
      05-24-2008, 01:51 PM   #5
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

YES it's just like I hoped, AMG is back and on their game!

I was saying earlier that I hoped the C63 was the mark of a turning point for the AMG brand, looks like this is turning out to be true.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2008, 03:09 PM   #6
ALPINE6SPD
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson92 View Post
first off let me say that some people may hate the looks and some may love them

Personally I really like the refreshed bumpers, and that rear diffuser is pure sex

The interior updates were kept minimal. The D shaped steering wheel. aluminum paddles and very racey seats are a very welcome change.

Now to the good stuff.

As soon as you put the key in, the cluster lights up with a beautiful bright white glow. Start her up and hear the massive 6.2l roar with life as the gauges do a self quick test.

I put her in D, take it to the street and pull over immediatly.

I press the AMG button, set the ESP to sport. set the gearbox to M and lower the adjustable ABC suspension to the lowest in can go.

From what i noticed the AMG button puts the suspension on sport, esp on sport, and trans on sport. Mind you the trans has comfort, sport, sport plus, and manual settings. Ill take manual thank you.

Now it just finished raining here in socal so the streets are wet.

So with my settings in place i take off....

The sound coming from the engine is god like, not many v8 can pull this sound off.. and the gurgle that came out when i let off the throttle was also a pleasant sound.

The power is as you imagined, unreal... this engine loves to rev and the torque rush is instantanious.

Now this is mercedes' first stab at a DCT trans so I did not have my hopes up. Well my faith was misplaced because this trans is surely a winner. The shifts are lighting fast and almost unnoticable. The throttle blipping downshifts allow this little SL to maintain the proper rpm for your speed, just so you can further mash the throttle going out of the turn.

One thing i wanted to add to the topic of the trans, for discussion not debate, is that after driven numerious ///m cars with SMG, i think that benz may have one uped BMW, there is no jolt in the amg like you feel in a ///m

Now for those who have driven benzs before know that the ESP can be very intrusive, even if you turn it off.

Well let me tell you this is not the case this time. With ESP sport on I floored the car, the car did a little tail wag ESP light came on to correct the rear end for just a second and then BAM traction was achieved and im flying like a bat out of hell.

Another nice feature is that you can now turn it OFF, and when I say off...i mean OFF!!! meaning you better know what youre doing kind of off.

As for the handling, well mercedes have always been on the hefty side and well to be honest kind of boatish at moments(mind you have i have a 07 e class so i know the feeling). Well they did something right because AMG has revamped the abc suspension and i kid you not this car handles like it is on rails.

So in a nutshell I can say without a doubt in my mind that this AMG is my favorite and best out of any car benz has ever put out. If mercedes takes key features from this car and puts it into all their AMGs....well the ///M division better watch out.
ggod review but for 175k I can find a lot nicer car to buy
2008 AW X3 3.0si: 6 speed Returned
2006 AW e90 330i: 6 speed Dinan Stage 1 Returned
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2008, 03:13 PM   #7
Supraman 1
I promise I will play nice
Rep
Drives: M3 with orange peel

The SL 63 is sick, I love the new front. The 6.2 L engine screams. As I get older Mercedes Benz looks better and better.
      05-24-2008, 03:46 PM   #8
FirstClass
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPINE6SPD View Post
The SL63 isn't 175k. Unless there are 45k in options I don't know about. I agree that price is a problem though. An M6 vert is way cheaper than the SL63. The C63 can compete with the M3 because they're close in price and the C63 stepped up MB's game. Even if the SL63 is a great car, for 20-30k more than an M6 a lot of people will overlook it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh valley View Post
shit, if i had that kind of money id buy a gtstreet for monday, an ascari a10 for tuesday, a DBS for wednesday and id just ride jessica alba the rest of the week.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2008, 03:58 PM   #9
155MPH
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 sDrive28i M Performance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALPINE6SPD View Post
Yep, for that money you are driving a Ferrari.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2008, 04:09 PM   #10
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep

MSRP: $132000

sl63>m6 c/vert

easily

plus when youre spending that much money on a car i dont think alot of people look at the price differences...they look at the car
      05-24-2008, 04:09 PM   #11
EmPower
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 xdrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 155MPH View Post
Yep, for that money you are driving a Ferrari.
In what world??? First off the SL63 is ~130K. A new Ferrari (if you are lucky to walk into a showroom and get one) will be north of 200K (being optimistic here), and considering that the Gallardo LP650/4 is close to 300K, I doubt that the newer 430s (or successor) will be considerably cheaper.
19 Audi SQ5 (sold), 20 Audi S6 (sold),
22 Audi SQ5
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2008, 04:19 PM   #12
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a few BMWs

juan, hook me up with a CLS 63

LTMW Widebody+1M front bumper+Slek CF Lip|M3 Hood|StopTech BBK|M-Sport Rear Bumper+DD CF Diffuser|Custom Recaro Seats|KW V2|BavX LS3|M3 Side Skirts+Custom CF Lip|BBS CHR 19x10.5+BBS Lugs|LCI Taillights|RD Sport Anti-Sway Bars|GIAC S2|ER Intercooler+CF Shroud+Charge Pipe|Tial BOV|Injen Intake|MS downpipes|Custom Exhaust|BMS Oil Catch Can|M3 DCT wheel+TiD CF Paddles|BMW CF Trunk Spoiler|Aluminum Pedals
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2008, 04:37 PM   #13
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost_Nation View Post
juan, hook me up with a CLS 63
neema...if you wanna buy, i can hook it up for sure bro
      05-24-2008, 04:49 PM   #14
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a few BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson92 View Post
neema...if you wanna buy, i can hook it up for sure bro
nothing but pipe dreams for me man. . . I wish.

I'd love a designo white one

LTMW Widebody+1M front bumper+Slek CF Lip|M3 Hood|StopTech BBK|M-Sport Rear Bumper+DD CF Diffuser|Custom Recaro Seats|KW V2|BavX LS3|M3 Side Skirts+Custom CF Lip|BBS CHR 19x10.5+BBS Lugs|LCI Taillights|RD Sport Anti-Sway Bars|GIAC S2|ER Intercooler+CF Shroud+Charge Pipe|Tial BOV|Injen Intake|MS downpipes|Custom Exhaust|BMS Oil Catch Can|M3 DCT wheel+TiD CF Paddles|BMW CF Trunk Spoiler|Aluminum Pedals
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2008, 04:59 PM   #15
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost_Nation View Post
nothing but pipe dreams for me man. . . I wish.

I'd love a designo white one
Diamond white edition with bang olufson sound system
      05-24-2008, 05:11 PM   #16
155MPH
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmPower View Post
In what world??? First off the SL63 is ~130K. A new Ferrari (if you are lucky to walk into a showroom and get one) will be north of 200K (being optimistic here), and considering that the Gallardo LP650/4 is close to 300K, I doubt that the newer 430s (or successor) will be considerably cheaper.
Details...details.... Search on line. You can get a low mileage 360 Modena for between 100 and 140K.

example:

http://autos.yahoo.com/used-cars/ove...i&distance=any

Last edited by 155MPH; 05-24-2008 at 05:16 PM.. Reason: added link
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2008, 05:18 PM   #17
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Details...details.... Search on line. You can get a low mileage 360 Modena for between 100 and 140K.

example:

you didnt say used.. being as the SL is new, dont you think you should compare it to a new car as well
      05-24-2008, 05:19 PM   #18
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep

guys i didnt make this thread so we can bicker about this>that
      05-24-2008, 05:45 PM   #19
155MPH
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Sorry....just expressing an opinion. Didn't mean to offend anyone.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2008, 05:47 PM   #20
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sorry....just expressing an opinion. Didn't mean to offend anyone.
i understand...but theres people on here than dont know how to take an opinion
      05-24-2008, 09:11 PM   #21
EmPower
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 xdrive 35i

Quote:

example:

emphasis on 'NEW'
19 Audi SQ5 (sold), 20 Audi S6 (sold),
22 Audi SQ5
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2008, 09:16 PM   #22
arabbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

I feel like mercedes in general fell off for a while and now they are back on their game. All of their newer cars are great for the most part.
Appreciate 0