BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Mporium BMW

09-04-2011, 10:26 AM   #23
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

excellent videos richard! looks like a very nice tool to have. looking forward to playing around with one soon.

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 09:09 PM   #24
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal red View Post
excellent videos richard! looks like a very nice tool to have. looking forward to playing around with one soon.
so you ordered one already?

Past: Gintani stage3 M3, Cayman GTS
present: Porsche 993RWB, 964RS America,996 cupcar, 964 turbo 3.6,Macan Turbo,997GT2,930 turbo,i3, MINI JCW
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 08:55 AM   #25
wea
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 Porsche Cayman R

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrdrvr View Post
Does it run on OSX? I've been looking for something that doesn't require Windows as all I have are an iMac and a MacBook Pro... and don't want to deal with loading a separate OS.
From the AIM website: Race Studio 2 is provided for Microsoft® Windows® only. The following versions of Windows are supported: Windows 98, 2000, Me, XP. At this time Race Studio does not support any other operating systems.

Even with AIM only supporting Windows here is a link to how to run Race Studio on OSX. http://www.aimsports.com/weblog/arch...dio_2_o_1.html

Here is what I did. I choose VMware Fusion and installed it on my MacBook Air 2011, i7 and 4GB RAM, 10.7.1. Then I installed Windows 7 32-bit and then the AIM software. It works just like it's on a Windows PC and the Unity feature is really cool.

Cheers
Favorite Quote on Supercars: "They are designed to melt ice caps, kill the poor, poison the water table, destroy the ozone layer, decimate indigenous wildlife, recapture the Falkland islands, and turn the entire third world into a huge uninhabitable desert... but only after they nicked all the oil." Jeremy Clarkson from Top Gear 05x02 @ 48:55.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 10:34 AM   #26
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

The lap time starts when the car starts to move.. How does this work? We usually start for the pits, so the first lap doesn't count anyways. But does the device now where the start/finish line is, and start counting (and recording) from that point?

Also, would like to know pricing.

thanks!
      09-07-2011, 05:17 PM   #27
Richard@M-World
United_States
Rep
Drives: NASA TTA #92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhanh View Post
The lap time starts when the car starts to move.. How does this work? We usually start for the pits, so the first lap doesn't count anyways. But does the device now where the start/finish line is, and start counting (and recording) from that point?

Also, would like to know pricing.

thanks!
You are correct, in lap time mode, lap 1 is not counted. That's why predictive lap timing is only available after lap 2.

The start/finish line is set using GPS as shown in the first video.
      09-08-2011, 09:34 AM   #28
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene-TAIWAN View Post
i ordered one. will get it next week

i'll post a little review once i start playing with it.

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 06:19 PM   #29
jml
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M, GT3RS, GT4

Richard have you seen in person the integration with the camera? One problem I had with the trackmate and chasecam was that the data and video were seldom in sync close enough to help me understand what was happening in the data.

It looks like a great piece if the video integration with the smartcam is flawless.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 08:16 PM   #30
M3 Montreal
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 SG ,DCT & 2011 S4

Quote:
Quote:

If you ordered one then you NEED to do one more track day this year to test it... LCMT in October.

2011 B8 S4 S-Tronic , Black on magma red
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 08:37 PM   #31
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Montreal View Post
If you ordered one then you NEED to do one more track day this year to test it... LCMT in October.
lol... not doing LCMT in october... its too late in the season and i dont want another rainy weekend. i did 6 track days at tremblant this year, and 2 of them were rain days. i think chances of rain in october would be worse.

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 10:41 PM   #32
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe

Quote:

please do an review! I'm interested

Past: Gintani stage3 M3, Cayman GTS
present: Porsche 993RWB, 964RS America,996 cupcar, 964 turbo 3.6,Macan Turbo,997GT2,930 turbo,i3, MINI JCW
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 12:25 AM   #33
Richard@M-World
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jml View Post
Richard have you seen in person the integration with the camera? One problem I had with the trackmate and chasecam was that the data and video were seldom in sync close enough to help me understand what was happening in the data.

It looks like a great piece if the video integration with the smartcam is flawless.
My Evo4 and SmartyCam integrate very well. I will upload some Solo DL videos when I have them.

Quote:
please do an review! I'm interested
Actually, quite a few people on the board already have it. Let's see some reviews people
      09-16-2011, 11:16 PM   #34
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

anyone using this already and can adivise how useful it is and how they like the product.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 09:43 AM   #35
VictorH
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 M3

Can the Solo and Solo DL only be integrated with a Smartycam? Seems like you are integrating duplicative features when you do that, or am I missing something. Solo has full telemetry as does SmartyCam which has video as well so what is the benefit of combining these two?

If the Solo / DL could be integrated with one of those Sony HD pencil cams with proper overlay of data to track position that would seem to be the most cost effective solution for both data and video. Is that not possible? I might be missing something on the features of this but if you combine the Solo with the Smartycam you're in the $1,400 range which isn't that comparable to Traqmate or Racelogic? Perhaps some naive questions but just wondering.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2011, 11:59 AM   #36
KM3
Formerly K335i
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszeh View Post
anyone using this already and can adivise how useful it is and how they like the product.
I've used the SOLO for a few track days now and love it. As Richard has mentioned before, once you reach a certain level in you're driving, data is required to really start fine tuning. My favorite feature is +/- best, where I can see, in real-time, how I'm doing against my best lap. This gives me instantaneous feedback on where I've made good adjustments vs not-so-good adjustments, where I'm making mistakes, where I'm choosing the right line, etc. It's amazing how you can go from .5 sec faster than your best to .5 sec slower in an instant, even though it feels like you're driving pretty well... Really forces you to think hard about your line, your inputs, and staying smooth and consistent.

It takes a bit of time to get used to the SOLO's interface, but once you get the hang of it, there's a lot of nice customization/configuration available. I've set mine up to display lap time, +/- best, and speed. The display is easily readable. The built-in battery lasts a long time, but it's nice to know that you can also use 12V power in a pinch (adapter comes with the kit). Windshield suction cup mount is definitely a must.

The SOLO comes with a very comprehensive database of tracks, so chances are it already knows the start/finish location of your local playground. The data analysis software is also quite feature-rich. Again, takes some time to get used to, but it's very powerful. Nice to see your laps superimposed over each other to see where you're faster, compare how various lines worked for you, etc.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the SOLO and would highly recommend it. I got mine from Richard - he took good care of me.

2009 E92 M3 :: Jet Black :: Fox Red Extended :: Carbon Leather :: 6MT :: JRZ RS Suspension :: RD Sport Sways :: StopTech Trophy Brakes :: Cantrell Brake Cooling
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 03:17 AM   #37
Richard@M-World
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorH View Post
Can the Solo and Solo DL only be integrated with a Smartycam? Seems like you are integrating duplicative features when you do that, or am I missing something. Solo has full telemetry as does SmartyCam which has video as well so what is the benefit of combining these two?

If the Solo / DL could be integrated with one of those Sony HD pencil cams with proper overlay of data to track position that would seem to be the most cost effective solution for both data and video. Is that not possible? I might be missing something on the features of this but if you combine the Solo with the Smartycam you're in the $1,400 range which isn't that comparable to Traqmate or Racelogic? Perhaps some naive questions but just wondering.
When the SmartyCam is integrated with an AiM logger (Solo DL, EVO4), you can also overlay ECU data on the video, such as throttle position, brake pressure, etc.

You are correct that there are some duplicate features. I've been told that AiM is working on a camera without the duplicate features but supports integration.

09-18-2011, 03:18 AM   #38
Richard@M-World
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM3 View Post
I've used the SOLO for a few track days now and love it. As Richard has mentioned before, once you reach a certain level in you're driving, data is required to really start fine tuning. My favorite feature is +/- best, where I can see, in real-time, how I'm doing against my best lap. This gives me instantaneous feedback on where I've made good adjustments vs not-so-good adjustments, where I'm making mistakes, where I'm choosing the right line, etc. It's amazing how you can go from .5 sec faster than your best to .5 sec slower in an instant, even though it feels like you're driving pretty well... Really forces you to think hard about your line, your inputs, and staying smooth and consistent.

It takes a bit of time to get used to the SOLO's interface, but once you get the hang of it, there's a lot of nice customization/configuration available. I've set mine up to display lap time, +/- best, and speed. The display is easily readable. The built-in battery lasts a long time, but it's nice to know that you can also use 12V power in a pinch (adapter comes with the kit). Windshield suction cup mount is definitely a must.

The SOLO comes with a very comprehensive database of tracks, so chances are it already knows the start/finish location of your local playground. The data analysis software is also quite feature-rich. Again, takes some time to get used to, but it's very powerful. Nice to see your laps superimposed over each other to see where you're faster, compare how various lines worked for you, etc.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the SOLO and would highly recommend it. I got mine from Richard - he took good care of me.
Thanks for the review and glad to hear that you are enjoying the Solo
      10-03-2011, 09:47 PM   #39
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

got my first chance to use the SOLO today out at pacific raceways. i downloaded the track before heading down and it worked perfectly. havent had a chace to use the race studio analysis yet as i am headed out to mexico tonight. i did scroll thru my data and found the use of the lap times very helpful. started the day in the wet and it partially dried off by days end and my lap times just fell and fell throughout the day. nice to see. also useful to know what my true top speed is setting up for turn 1 rather than the optimistic BMW gauge. in the wet today my top speed through 1 was 136. decent for wet conditions. will do a further write up once i look at the full data after vacation.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 12:39 AM   #40
Richard@M-World
United_States
Rep

Quote:
for those of you guys who are curious bout what comes in the box, here's a little vid...

take note - this is not the DL version. i have the base version.

so far i've been satisfied with the AiM solo. but i have only had a chance to use it 1 time at the track as i got it at the end of my track season. i wont be doing anymore track sessions until next year unfortunately.

Chris, at PRI yesterday, the owner of AiM Sport from Italy wanted me to thank you for your video. He enjoyed it very much.
      12-15-2011, 06:18 PM   #41
askjeeves
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3/spece30

I was able to use the AIM SOLO at Homestead this past weekend, and think it will be very handy for figuring out the best way around the track. I used it for a couple sessions, and gave it to a friend for a session (nearly identical cars), and already we should both be able to pick up at least 1.5 seconds (both fairly noobish but decent driving). It seems a lot of people say this is good for when you've already gotten very fast and are looking for just a little bit more. However, I think it is equally great for the less experienced drivers like me.

One odd thing, the included software cd didn't seem to want to work with my laptop. Not really a big deal though since the software is all available online.
      12-16-2011, 01:10 PM   #42
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard@M-World View Post
Chris, at PRI yesterday, the owner of AiM Sport from Italy wanted me to thank you for your video. He enjoyed it very much.
no problem. will have to wait till next season to post a more in-depth review. i only had 1 chance to use it before my season ended.

Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 12:46 AM   #43
Richard@M-World
United_States
Rep

Just a heads up to all Solo/Solo DL owners. A new version of firmware is now available. Download here: http://www.aim-sportline.com/downloa...302_030512.exe

Latest version of Race Studio 2: http://www.aim-sportline.com/downloa...120702_WEB.exe

Happy tracking!