BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

04-12-2011, 01:41 PM   #1
BlackMoupe
Mouper
United_States
Rep
Drives: _____

For those who have totaled a vehicle...

What's the policy after insurance takes the car when the police are done with it? I recently got in a wreck (other thread) and would like to part out any pieces I can scavenge (mods, wheels/tires) and give the money to my friends family.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 01:44 PM   #2
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

Post link to thread
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 01:50 PM   #3
CollinsE90
Where my bitches
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cadillac coupe deville

I believe you can offer to buy the car for like a grand and they just take it off your settlement
      04-12-2011, 01:58 PM   #4
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Depends on what your insurance company wants to do. I was able to remove everything and put as much back to stock as possible with my car, just paying labor for the removal. Hell, it didn't have head lights or tail lights, or a radio, had shitty ass cheap wheels on it by the time I was done raping it. But not all insurance companies will let you do that.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 01:59 PM   #5
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay335i View Post
Post link to thread
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=511204
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 02:35 PM   #6
Augenbrauezug
Captain
Rep
Drives: mk6 GTI

The one time I have I just quickly pulled everything off the vehicle, I never heard anything about it.
Straight PIITB. Then eat dumplings.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 02:37 PM   #7
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

they usually don't let you. i totaled a truck one (non-impact) and they would let me take a thing off it unless i bought the truck back. i had wheels and stereo equipment in it that i paid for. it was quite gay actually.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 02:39 PM   #8
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
they usually don't let you. i totaled a truck one (non-impact) and they would let me take a thing off it unless i bought the truck back. i had wheels and stereo equipment in it that i paid for. it was quite gay actually.
Yeah I was lucky and quite floored when they let me do that. All they cared about was that it started up and ran. I tried to gank the ECU out of it but they weren't having that....
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 05:20 PM   #9
Eric@e2design
United_States
Rep
Drives: Supercharged E46 M3

My 2005 G35 got T-Boned 10 months after I bought it new just installed Greddy EU w/tune, coils, intake manifold mods, intake, small stuff like bulbs, shift knob, etc..

I went by the tow yard that had my car and brought a set of hand tools and two buddies.. I gave the guy $60 and he fork lifted (probably one of the sadder moments of my life) my car behind this junked Ford SUV and told me I had 2 hours to work on it.. I basically took off everything inshort of suspension and exhaust.. Insurance never said a word *shrug* but then again they werent paying for the car either so that might've been why..

on a more legit note:
I deal with insurance companies all day now and a lot of our customers want to buy their vehicle back for whatever reasons (especially the RX-7, Supra, 240 guys with valuable stock parts) and SOME insurance companies are set on auctioning off vehicles that they do not give the buyer an option to do so while some companies simply deduct the amount they estimate the vehicle to be worth from your check and just let you keep it. The larger insurance companies are some of the ones that auction only.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 05:30 PM   #10
choicez
Major
Rep
Drives: you mad

I was able to part out anything that I was able to take out with a screwdriver. However, I did put back the stock pieces that I grabbed. Even grabbed the car mats and sold them here. I don't think they will let you to take the rims and tires tho.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 05:31 PM   #11
MediaArtist
There is No Substitute
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi A6, 997 GT3 RS, E90 335i

I had an old Firebird that was totaled, and at the yard I just told the guy that I needed to check for any personal property still in the trunk, and I was able to pretty much clean it out.

Not sure though how he would have felt if I started taking off the wheels, and stereo system.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 06:06 PM   #12
Eric@e2design
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by choicez View Post
I was able to part out anything that I was able to take out with a screwdriver. However, I did put back the stock pieces that I grabbed. Even grabbed the car mats and sold them here. I don't think they will let you to take the rims and tires tho.
bring 4 spares
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 06:09 PM   #13
choicez
Major
Rep
Drives: you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric@e2design View Post
bring 4 spares
this man knows his stuff! actually, I'm sure this would be ok as long as you put back your stocks and don't leave your ride on cement blocks. a salvage yard bought my ride and i'm sure they would rather have the stock pieces to part out.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 08:22 AM   #14
Eric@e2design
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by choicez View Post
this man knows his stuff! actually, I'm sure this would be ok as long as you put back your stocks and don't leave your ride on cement blocks. a salvage yard bought my ride and i'm sure they would rather have the stock pieces to part out.
I'm not kidding I got 4 spare tires and put those suckers on and took off my 19" volk sf challenges.. although two were destroyed beyond recognition idc.. lol I was overall upset that I put on wheels, kit, tune, suspension, engine mods, 3 weeks before some retarded decided to run the red light.. again like I said I gave the guy running the impound lot $60 for 1.5hour of alone time with my car...
Appreciate 0