BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

EXXEL Distributions

03-02-2009, 07:52 PM   #1
JIO
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 Space Gray E92 M3 w/DCT

Smartphone Revisited.........

I finally received my iPhone cradle and snapped it into the smartphone set-up under the center armrest. It does everything it's supposed to do...play music, receive calls, place calls, charge the phone, and get better reception. The last feature, better reception, I decided to test. I have a friend who lives out in the country and my iPhone is dead out there. So as I drove out , I marked the spots by writing a little note as to where the I began losing bars on the iPhone, not plugged into the cradle. As I got within 1 mile of my friend, the iPhone said "No Service". So I stopped and turned around and stuck the iPhone into the cradle....amazing...."No Service". As I retraced my steps, the bars increased at almost the exact same spots as before. There was no better reception using the car's antennas, at least none that I could find. I could have saved the $150 for the Smartphone Integration and the $175 for the cradle and just used the iPod cables and chad the same results....not as nice looking of course. So the only test left for me is whether I sound better over the iPhone while it's plugged into the cradle. My voice was somewhat distorted, at least when I called my wife, with the iPhone hooked into the iPod connector. Hopefully the cradle will prove to be worth it...so far, no good.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2009, 11:11 PM   #2
fe3
Lurker
Rep
Drives: 09 AW E92 M3

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Interesting. Thanks for posting your findings. I got the cradle but my main concern was locking the iPhone in place, and freeing up the Y-connector for my iPod. That said, I am disappointed if there is in fact no gain in signal strength.
      03-02-2009, 11:15 PM   #3
JIO
Captain
Rep

It could just be that the area I drive will have no signal no matter what do. Maybe I need a satellite dish on the roof?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2009, 09:58 AM   #4
scotsman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

ok, can someone please help me. I have an iphone 3g and I have m drive. I don't have the ipod option though. What would I need to do so I can get the iphone cradle and ipod integration? I have no idea what these 6fl and the like acronyms stand for. Any help would be appreciated
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2009, 10:05 AM   #5
leJUNd
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

those acronyms are code for the options.
6FL is ipod integration
6NF is the smart phone integration
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2009, 10:09 AM   #6
fe3
Lurker
Rep

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsman View Post
ok, can someone please help me. I have an iphone 3g and I have m drive. I don't have the ipod option though. What would I need to do so I can get the iphone cradle and ipod integration? I have no idea what these 6fl and the like acronyms stand for. Any help would be appreciated
Take a look at this thread. It's long, but it covers this stuff in quite a bit of depth.

The quick answer is:
6NF - Smartphone Integration - Provides the platform to allow bluetooth connectivity with your iPhone (or other smartphone). Also is the starting point for playing music from your iPhone. To actually play music, however, you will need either 6FL (Y-Cable), or the iPhone 3G cradle.
6FL - Y-Cable - Hooks up in your armrest. Provides music playback from your iPhone and searchable access from iDrive.
84 21 2 151 038 - Cradle - for the iPhone 3G adapter in cars without 6NF option.
84 21 2 151 043 - Cradle - for the iPhone 3G adapter in cars with 6NF option.

I sure hope I explained that right. If anyone knows different, please clear it up right away. I don't want to lead anyone astray.
      03-03-2009, 10:49 AM   #7
scotsman
Private First Class
Rep

ok so if i have the bluetooth already all i need is the cradle and I can play the music off my iphone?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2009, 11:53 AM   #8
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsman View Post
ok so if i have the bluetooth already all i need is the cradle and I can play the music off my iphone?
No.

None of the two adapters can be retrofitted to your car as of today, so forget about 6NF or 6FL. The only OEM adapter that can play music off your iPhone is the dealer-installed MOST iPod adapter: http://accessories.bmwusa.com/ItemVi...&productId=748

For the iPhone to be connected to the external OEM celular antenna in the sharkfin in the rear of the roof you will need a specific iPhone cradle and an eject box. This will not allow you to play any music once the iPhone is snapped into the cradle. To play music you will need to remove the iPhone from that cradle and plug the MOST iPod adapter to the iPhone. The Bluetooth connection will be still active for phone calls...
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2009, 12:10 PM   #9
scotsman
Private First Class
Rep

hmm kind of a shame that you can't do both
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2009, 01:24 PM   #10
fe3
Lurker
Rep

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
No.

None of the two adapters can be retrofitted to your car as of today, so forget about 6NF or 6FL. The only OEM adapter that can play music off your iPhone is the dealer-installed MOST iPod adapter: http://accessories.bmwusa.com/ItemVi...&productId=748

For the iPhone to be connected to the external OEM celular antenna in the sharkfin in the rear of the roof you will need a specific iPhone cradle and an eject box. This will not allow you to play any music once the iPhone is snapped into the cradle. To play music you will need to remove the iPhone from that cradle and plug the MOST iPod adapter to the iPhone. The Bluetooth connection will be still active for phone calls...
For the sake of clarity, you are referring to 2008 models only, correct? The 2009 models do not need the MOST adapter to play music from the cradle.
      03-03-2009, 01:38 PM   #11
dvn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 C63 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fe3 View Post
For the sake of clarity, you are referring to 2008 models only, correct? The 2009 models do not need the MOST adapter to play music from the cradle.
So if you are ordering a 2009 with the technology package, would there be any reason to get the smartphone integration? Can you get the cradle instead and be good to go?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2009, 04:55 PM   #12
JIO
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvn View Post
So if you are ordering a 2009 with the technology package, would there be any reason to get the smartphone integration? Can you get the cradle instead and be good to go?
Without the smartphone integration, the cradle is useless. The smartphone integration gives you interface into which to attach the cradle.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2009, 06:32 PM   #13
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
In this particular case, yes.

However, the Smartphone option for MY2009 requires the iPod adapter factory option. Neither option can be retrofitted in the USA in any M3 regardless of model year.

The MOST iPod adapter is the dealer-installed accessory, which can be installed in any MY M3 without the factory iPod adapter.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2009, 06:38 PM   #14
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvn View Post
Again, the Smartphone option allows the iPhone to be connected to the OEM cellular antena in the sharkfin for extra reception (so far questionable), be paired with the OEM Bluetooth for calls and play music while in iPod mode without removing the iPhone from the cradle.

The Tech package is not a requirement for the Smartphone option. Assist/Bluetooth and the iPod adapter (6FL) ptions are required. You still can get the regular, non-6NF, cradle and eject box and use it with the iPhone if the Smartphone option is not selected. But it won't play any music while the iPhone is in the cradle.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2009, 07:19 PM   #15
dvn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 C63 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Again, the Smartphone option allows the iPhone to be connected to the OEM cellular antena in the sharkfin for extra reception (so far questionable), be paired with the OEM Bluetooth for calls and play music while in iPod mode without removing the iPhone from the cradle.

The Tech package is not a requirement for the Smartphone option. Assist/Bluetooth and the iPod adapter (6FL) ptions are required. You still can get the regular, non-6NF, cradle and eject box and use it with the iPhone if the Smartphone option is not selected. But it won't play any music while the iPhone is in the cradle.
Thanks for the detailed answer, man. That was exactly what I was looking for.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2009, 02:31 PM   #16
lincoln
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Melbourne Red Coupe - DCT

I think the main difference is the streamlined look of the smartphone integration... I haven't noticed a major difference in anything else.
      03-07-2009, 06:17 PM   #17
Adonislike
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Insight/Honda Prius

I just got my second cradle after the first one proved to be defective. There is absolutely no difference in cell reception being plugged into the cradle. My phone has full signal, I can hear the person on the phone crystal clearly, but I continue to be choppy when I speak. I firmly believe it is a problem with the iPhone. I have a much less-capable Verizon phone that when synced into the bluetooth, I sound perfect to whomever I am speaking with. Very irritating
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2009, 11:04 AM   #18
ColoCane
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIO View Post
The last feature, better reception, I decided to test.
Thanks, JIO. I've been tracking this since the last thread. I broke down last week and ordered the cradle... presumably for better reception. So much for that. Now, and extra $175 for a clean-looking, plastic phone holder...

Hope someone figures out the real "plus" for ordering the cradle. (When I was at the dealer, testing the 3G, the Y-Cable proved to do just fine for full functionality).

'97 E36 M3 Sedan Hellrot Red/Black; '03 E46 330Ci Met. Gray/Black; '06 E46 330Ci ZPF Imola Red/Saddle
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 05:25 PM   #19
PrinceSmooth
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M4

Garage List
2012 BMW X6 M  [0.00]
I don't get the point of the smartphone integration if you have to use it with bluetooth... isn't the whole point to get a clean connection to the car as opposed to using the ineffective wireless bluetooth...? clarify please!

Questions: I have a 2009 model with smartphone integration and the ipod usb integration... 1.) will the iPhone cradle fit fine with iPhones that have a case (incase specifically) around them? 2.) Do you think it's worth getting the iPhone cradle if I already have the Y-cable...?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 05:30 PM   #20
fe3
Lurker
Rep

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceSmooth View Post
I don't get the point of the smartphone integration if you have to use it with bluetooth... isn't the whole point to get a clean connection to the car as opposed to using the ineffective wireless bluetooth...? clarify please!

Questions: I have a 2009 model with smartphone integration and the ipod usb integration... 1.) will the iPhone cradle fit fine with iPhones that have a case (incase specifically) around them? 2.) Do you think it's worth getting the iPhone cradle if I already have the Y-cable...?
1.) I seriously doubt the cradle would fit the iPhone in any case (incase included) with the exception of a film (which isn't really a case at all).

2.) Based on others' reports that reception is not improved with the cradle, I'd say there is little reason to get the cradle if you already have the Y-cable.

I have the Y-Cable and the cradle. For me, I like having the cradle hold down my iPhone (no sliding around while driving). I also prefer to use my iPod for music, so I hook it up to the Y-Cable and my iPhone in the cradle. This allows for both devices to be charged at the same time, with music coming from my iPod (Y-Cable) and conversations coming from my iPhone (cradle).
      03-10-2009, 05:35 PM   #21
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adonislike View Post
... My phone has full signal, I can hear the person on the phone crystal clearly, but I continue to be choppy when I speak. I firmly believe it is a problem with the iPhone. I have a much less-capable Verizon phone that when synced into the bluetooth, I sound perfect to whomever I am speaking with. Very irritating
No, I think your problem is the network. I've found Verizon to be much better in its signal than AT&T. If you already have a full signal then the external, shark fin antenna won't offer much more.

I'd like BMW to come out with a cradle for Verizon's Samsung Omnia.
      03-10-2009, 05:48 PM   #22
PrinceSmooth
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M4

Garage List
2012 BMW X6 M  [0.00]
Quote:
1.) I seriously doubt the cradle would fit the iPhone in any case (incase included) with the exception of a film (which isn't really a case at all).

2.) Based on others' reports that reception is not improved with the cradle, I'd say there is little reason to get the cradle if you already have the Y-cable.

I have the Y-Cable and the cradle. For me, I like having the cradle hold down my iPhone (no sliding around while driving). I also prefer to use my iPod for music, so I hook it up to the Y-Cable and my iPhone in the cradle. This allows for both devices to be charged at the same time, with music coming from my iPod (Y-Cable) and conversations coming from my iPhone (cradle).
Hmmm I'll probably have the same setup, sounds good to me. I got a 80gb ipod but I don't want to sacrifice the case on my iPhone...

Anyone know if the cradle will fit an iPhone with a case on it?
Appreciate 0