BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic

EXXEL Distributions

02-09-2013, 06:46 PM   #23
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

I'm running Dunlop Winter Sport 3D's in 235/255 sizes on a set of Team Dynamics ProRace1.2 18x8/9 wheels.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 08:15 PM   #24
MDyDinanM
OIF Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M

Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [6.88]
I've been in this area for several years, even through the Snow storm we had a few years ago. Been fortunate that I never had to need to have winter tires.

That said, I swear, this type of thread comes up every year. Recommend to

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=613973
Intakes, 13% Underdrive pulley, 3.91 Differential, RPI Scoops.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 08:36 AM   #25
WarrantyTracker
Track? What Track? I was just riding along . . .
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E92 M3

I went the route of finding a sweet deal on a used set of OEM 18" with TPS, and I had winter performance tires (Dunlop SP Wintersport 3D) mounted on them. I find it a PITA to get back and forth to the tire store for mounting, so this way I can do the swap myself.

The weather around here is unpredictable. I have a couple snow cars that I use if I know there will be snow on the ground. But I also like to be able to drive my coupe and not worry about whether I'll get home if the snow comes in earlier than they forecast. My neighbor has a RWD 328i coupe with all-season radials, and a couple of times a winter (at least) she gets stranded somewhere on the way home from work if it snows more than an inch.

Unfortunately, nothing sticks in the winter as well as summer tires in the summer. But I feel more secure on winter tires than I would on summers. My other RWD BMW coupe (a 79) has summer Pirellis on it, and if I try to drive it in the winter, the back end breaks out like CRAZY.

Sure, I could drive on summer tires in the winter and "take it easy," but what I worry about is an emergency caused by some other driver, where I need grip for a short stopping distance or a fast lane change. For me, it's worth the hassle of maintaining two sets of wheels.

BUT to each his or her own, I always say.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 05:30 PM   #26
Bronx Cheer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan

In response to the original poster, snow tires are indeed absolutely necessary if you ever plan on driving an M3 in any kind of snow or freezing rain. I tried to drive my sedan in about 1 inch of snow once and was blown away at how unstable the car was with the summer performance tires. I basically had to turn the car around and park it.

I picked up a set of OEM 18s from a fellow poster with like 30 miles on the tires (he pulled the OEM rims and tires off immediately after driving his new M3 home from the dealer as he was putting an aftermarket set of 19s on) and then bought a set of Pirelli Sottozeros from TireRack. The Pirellis fit perfectly on the stock 18s, and they drive pretty nicely even without snow. With the Pirellis, the M3 feels slightly more stable in snow and slush than my old 330 with all seasons. HUGE difference.

In any event, I may be selling my M3 shortly and thus looking to offload the 18s, the Pirellis, and the set of stock Michellin PS2s I pulled off the 18s. I'll post in a week or so if I decide to do it.

My advice is to not drive your new M in any kind of snow without proper winter tires or, at a minimum, all season PS2s.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 05:36 PM   #27
Bronx Cheer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBasham View Post
I went the route of finding a sweet deal on a used set of OEM 18" with TPS, and I had winter performance tires (Dunlop SP Wintersport 3D) mounted on them. I find it a PITA to get back and forth to the tire store for mounting, so this way I can do the swap myself.

The weather around here is unpredictable. I have a couple snow cars that I use if I know there will be snow on the ground. But I also like to be able to drive my coupe and not worry about whether I'll get home if the snow comes in earlier than they forecast. My neighbor has a RWD 328i coupe with all-season radials, and a couple of times a winter (at least) she gets stranded somewhere on the way home from work if it snows more than an inch.

Unfortunately, nothing sticks in the winter as well as summer tires in the summer. But I feel more secure on winter tires than I would on summers. My other RWD BMW coupe (a 79) has summer Pirellis on it, and if I try to drive it in the winter, the back end breaks out like CRAZY.

Sure, I could drive on summer tires in the winter and "take it easy," but what I worry about is an emergency caused by some other driver, where I need grip for a short stopping distance or a fast lane change. For me, it's worth the hassle of maintaining two sets of wheels.

BUT to each his or her own, I always say.
Funny, I did not see your post. I obviously agree with most everything you wrote about the OEM 18 winter tires setup. I never had problems here in DC, though, with all seasons on a 3 series. I had three RWD E46s prior to the M3 and never had significant problems worse than I had with prior FWD cars. I also am pretty used to driving in snow and expect a litte slide now and then, so who knows. I guess the OP can take my comments on possibly considering getting all seasons on the M3 with a grain of salt.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 11:45 AM   #28
WarrantyTracker
Track? What Track? I was just riding along . . .
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E92 M3

mispost

Last edited by WarrantyTracker; 04-25-2013 at 09:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 03:32 PM   #29
Sandman99
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Thanks for all the advice everyone...now at the M3 is on order it will definitely be a concern for next winter
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 04:24 PM   #30
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman99 View Post
Thanks for all the advice everyone...now at the M3 is on order it will definitely be a concern for next winter
yeah, I was about to say, at this point of the month, no need to buy it anymore, quite a mild winter.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 10:55 AM   #31
cotmfk
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

I just put my summers back on! I got a bubble in one of the rears and didn't feel like replacing it at this time. It may snow once more this year, but I doubt it. If it does, I'll just stay home.