BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

10-19-2017, 09:17 PM   #397
becausephilchow
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3

My Harrop install is being finished today/tomorrow, just doing some maintenance items! Can't wait to take it for a rip!

Will post my thoughts on it afterwards
Appreciate 1
///Mobbin1478.00
      10-21-2017, 05:49 AM   #398
becausephilchow
Lieutenant
Rep

Some thoughts on the Harrop, on my first/second drive:

Note: I have NOT gone WOT, or flogged the car hard yet. There's been too much traffic since I picked up the car, will give the beans tonight.

I typically like to judge something based on how well it drives, when you want to be subtle, rather than how well it drives when you go WOT on it.

I can say, so far, the BPMSport tune by Mike Benvo on the Harrop, makes it drive essentially like stock. There's just more power everywhere in the powerband, but, if I drive it in D Mode, putting around town, it feels literally as it did stock.

The whine, it's loud. I personally don't mind it, but, anything over 2,000RPM, the whine is pretty loud. It's not for everybody, but, I paid for a S/C, I'm ecstatic to hear S/C noises, lol.

Will chime back in when I get more mileage on the S/C!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 09:04 AM   #399
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Alpine White

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by becausephilchow View Post

Note: I have NOT gone WOT, or flogged the car hard yet. There's been too much traffic since I picked up the car, will give the beans tonight.

I typically like to judge something based on how well it drives, when you want to be subtle, rather than how well it drives when you go WOT on it.

I can say, so far, the BPMSport tune by Mike Benvo on the Harrop, makes it drive essentially like stock. There's just more power everywhere in the powerband, but, if I drive it in D Mode, putting around town, it feels literally as it did stock.

The whine, it's loud. I personally don't mind it, but, anything over 2,000RPM, the whine is pretty loud. It's not for everybody, but, I paid for a S/C, I'm ecstatic to hear S/C noises, lol.

Close the hood vent.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 12:17 PM   #400
GP0256
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 MINI GP

Quote:

It's hard to tell on the street because this set up is so smooth with his tune, it is made for complete drive ability! I think once you open it up at speed while rolling, it will knock your socks off! Thanks for sharing!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 01:35 AM   #401
becausephilchow
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4ces View Post
Close the hood vent.
Truthfully, doesn't bother me. So far, been driving it with the wife in the car, and she hasn't noticed anything out of the ordinary yet. She doesn't know there's a S/C in the car .

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP0256 View Post
It's hard to tell on the street because this set up is so smooth with his tune, it is made for complete drive ability! I think once you open it up at speed while rolling, it will knock your socks off! Thanks for sharing!
Yessir. It's so very smooth, and I love it. Gave it the beans last night, and, it simply just keeps on pulling and pulling. It feels so smooth, it's just like stock, but, there's just gobs more power everywhere.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      10-22-2017, 08:51 PM   #402
becausephilchow
Lieutenant
Rep

Some more thoughts:

The car takes quite a bit of time longer to get to full operating temperature now (needle at the middle of the gauge).

I'm assuming that's because the new cooling system is just significantly better, but, I'm quite impressed with it still, everything feels great!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 09:41 PM   #403
XIX
Incognito
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 e93 M3 Harrop S/C

Quote:
Some more thoughts:

The car takes quite a bit of time longer to get to full operating temperature now (needle at the middle of the gauge).

I'm assuming that's because the new cooling system is just significantly better, but, I'm quite impressed with it still, everything feels great!
I didn't realise there was a change to the cooling system ? I know the intercoolers may make the air cooler when not pushing the car so maybe that is having a cooling effect ?

I also find that mine takes a bit to warm up!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 10:43 PM   #404
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Close the hood vent.
Truthfully, doesn't bother me. So far, been driving it with the wife in the car, and she hasn't noticed anything out of the ordinary yet. She doesn't know there's a S/C in the car .

Quote:
Yessir. It's so very smooth, and I love it. Gave it the beans last night, and, it simply just keeps on pulling and pulling. It feels so smooth, it's just like stock, but, there's just gobs more power everywhere.
[QUOTE=becausephilchow;22332661]
Quote:
Close the hood vent.

Exhaust super loud? What setup do you have on it?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 10:46 PM   #405
becausephilchow
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XIX View Post
I didn't realise there was a change to the cooling system ? I know the intercoolers may make the air cooler when not pushing the car so maybe that is having a cooling effect ?

I also find that mine takes a bit to warm up!
Yup, I assume that's it too. Not a bad thing at all though, I'm happy for the car running cooler.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 10:47 PM   #406
becausephilchow
Lieutenant
Rep

[QUOTE=L4ces;22335134]
Quote:

I have a Akrapovic Evo. I don't notice a change in the tone/volume of the exhaust honestly. Feels/sounds about the same as without the S/C.

I find the exhaust more on the quiet side, a bit bassy on the lower RPMs, but not loud.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2017, 10:50 PM   #407
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
[QUOTE=becausephilchow;22335142]
Quote:
Quote:

I have a Akrapovic Evo. I don't notice a change in the tone/volume of the exhaust honestly. Feels/sounds about the same as without the S/C.

I find the exhaust more on the quiet side, a bit bassy on the lower RPMs, but not loud.
Quote:
Quote:
Close the hood vent.

Quote:
Awesome. Enjoy your new power!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 12:18 AM   #408
XIX
Incognito
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Yup, I assume that's it too. Not a bad thing at all though, I'm happy for the car running cooler.
I don't think it runs cooler, it will take longer to warm up.

I think once at operating temperature and being driven, the boost would offset the cooling effect of the intercoolers and so there would be negligible difference.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 01:18 AM   #409
becausephilchow
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XIX View Post
I don't think it runs cooler, it will take longer to warm up.

I think once at operating temperature and being driven, the boost would offset the cooling effect of the intercoolers and so there would be negligible difference.
Taking longer to warm up = running cooler technically? Or, that makes sense to me at least

But yes, once you start beating on it, probably a negligible difference.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 06:20 AM   #410
XIX
Incognito
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Taking longer to warm up = running cooler technically? Or, that makes sense to me at least

But yes, once you start beating on it, probably a negligible difference.
Hahah, unfortunately it just means its taking longer to warm up, which is probably not a good thing 😭

If you are not pushing it, it will prob run a bit cooler. But lets be honest, once the car is warmed up, that will be practically never!! 😆
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 07:46 AM   #411
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Glad you guys are enjoying the blower. Warmup time should be pretty much unaffected by the blower. The intercoolers and heat exchanger are on a separate circuit for keeping the intake air temperature down only. They won't affect oil or coolant temps.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 11:34 AM   #412
eternallx
Looking
United_States
Rep
Drives: 0.0

Anyone notice that if your applying maybe 50-60% throttle from the lower rpm ranges in lower gears its not very smooth alot of times. Mostly notice it when am trying to get out of a parking lot onto a busy highway quickly and the car would jerk as if power is coming on and off but not violently. My M is DCT.

Its sorta feels like the electronic bypass valve is closing and opening alot due to not applying the throttle super consistently so the engine is getting boost 1 second and not the next.
DrFerry6728.50
      10-23-2017, 04:23 PM   #413
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallx View Post
Anyone notice that if your applying maybe 50-60% throttle from the lower rpm ranges in lower gears its not very smooth alot of times. Mostly notice it when am trying to get out of a parking lot onto a busy highway quickly and the car would jerk as if power is coming on and off but not violently. My M is DCT.

Its sorta feels like the electronic bypass valve is closing and opening alot due to not applying the throttle super consistently so the engine is getting boost 1 second and not the next.
This is the fueling going rich in case you slam your foot to the floor, and then leaning back out once it doesn't see full boost pressure. Will be ironed out in future revisions - we are doing some testing with different pressure sensors.

Need to update thread on progress with injectors and E85 - will chime in as soon as I can - but essentially I am having them flow tested to make sure the injector dead time/latency calculations are 100% spot on.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      10-23-2017, 04:31 PM   #414
eternallx
Looking
United_States
Rep
Drives: 0.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
This is the fueling going rich in case you slam your foot to the floor, and then leaning back out once it doesn't see full boost pressure. Will be ironed out in future revisions - we are doing some testing with different pressure sensors.

Need to update thread on progress with injectors and E85 - will chime in as soon as I can - but essentially I am having them flow tested to make sure the injector dead time/latency calculations are 100% spot on.
Thanks for the quick insight Mike
Hope a fix for that comes soon as well as the E85 tune as it seems like that is much more likely than Stage 2 lol
      10-24-2017, 12:53 AM   #415
becausephilchow
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallx View Post

I actually felt this! Didn't think too much of it, but, glad to see it's being ironed out in future revisions!

Quote:

Perfect!
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      10-25-2017, 05:09 AM   #416
burnrbr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Comp DCT

Quote:

Are the injectors from Injector Dynamics? I've used ID1000 on my 2009 CTS-V with great success after a set of 950cc from DeatschWerks. The DeatschWerks injectors were flow matched, but that's only at full flow and they produced a rough idle and rough transient response. The ID1000s had a smooth as stock idle and transient response due to the flow match across the flow range and latency matching.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 08:58 AM   #417
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnrbr View Post
Are the injectors from Injector Dynamics? I've used ID1000 on my 2009 CTS-V with great success after a set of 950cc from DeatschWerks. The DeatschWerks injectors were flow matched, but that's only at full flow and they produced a rough idle and rough transient response. The ID1000s had a smooth as stock idle and transient response due to the flow match across the flow range and latency matching.
I believe they just use OEM M5 injectors for the Harrop which work just like the factory m3 ones from a daily driving standpoint, but allow the extra flow of fuel when you go WOT.

Harrop Supercharger, BPM Tune, K/W Coil over kit, Stoptek BBK, Magnaflow exhaust, ear to ear grin everytime I drive...
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 09:09 AM   #418
Properstyle
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 ZCP m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvy View Post
I believe they just use OEM M5 injectors for the Harrop which work just like the factory m3 ones from a daily driving standpoint, but allow the extra flow of fuel when you go WOT.
Mike is running 68lb injectors which are not what comes on the m5. that is what is being referenced here.
Appreciate 0