BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E46 M3 Coupe and Convertible > General E46 M3 Talk
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-16-2017, 10:46 PM   #1
94jedi
Resident Old Guy. "I used to bench 315 in my 20's"
23
Rep
91
Posts

Drives: 2008 e90 M3 | 2004 E46 M3
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

E46 or e90/92?

I'm sure this has been done ad nauseam but I'll put it out there again... I'm having trouble deciding between the e46 and the e9x. I want the most bang for the buck, with the least amount of headaches. I might do 1 or 2 track days/ hpde's annually. No smg if i get an e46 but i don't mind the dct in the e9x. Not Gonna lie, i love straight line speed too, after all, it's what we get to use most. So let me know your thoughts, this car will be my dd.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 07:18 AM   #2
Obioban
Emperor
278
Rep
1,637
Posts

Drives: 05 M3, 95 M3 euro, 01 M5, e91
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: West Chester, PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94jedi View Post
I'm sure this has been done ad nauseam but I'll put it out there again... I'm having trouble deciding between the e46 and the e9x. I want the most bang for the buck, with the least amount of headaches. I might do 1 or 2 track days/ hpde's annually. No smg if i get an e46 but i don't mind the dct in the e9x. Not Gonna lie, i love straight line speed too, after all, it's what we get to use most. So let me know your thoughts, this car will be my dd.

Thanks!
Drive both, get the one you like more. They're pretty remarkably different cars.

This topic pretty much just happened here:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1424338

M3post is an e9X M3 forum, so expect answers to be biased that way here. If you go to M3forum, instead (e46 m3 forum), answers will be biased the other way.

If you want low headaches on the e46, you're going to be looking for one in the $25-35,000 range. Or you could get a cheaper one and spend a couple days locking down the wear items yourself. But a cheap one ignored will not be headache free, now that they're 10-15 years old.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2017, 11:11 PM   #3
thefastlife
New Member
0
Rep
9
Posts

Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Fairway, KS

iTrader: (1)

Ive owned both and i would say i like driving the e46 better. I also like more of a raw feeling car when i drive spiritedly. E90 was fun don't get me wrong. But at the end of the day e46 is my pick.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 12:04 AM   #4
FrozenAg
Restless
165
Rep
329
Posts

Drives: 2012 M3 Frozen Silver
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Texas

iTrader: (0)

I’ve owned both...obviously both great cars but really different. The E9X is leaps and bounds a better DD due to added tech and comfort. The E46 I had was strictly for weekend rides and it was perfect for that...don’t think I could have daily driven that.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 01:20 AM   #5
1MOREMOD
2016 Track Days - 3| Ridge 1:52:24|Pacific 1:33:30
1MOREMOD's Avatar
United_States
5102
Rep
18,583
Posts

Drives: Race car->
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: check your mirrors

iTrader: (5)

That's a hard call. I've had both also. E90 mostly stock and full track car e46. E46 is faster on track but weighs 600 lbs less and more developed.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 10:48 PM   #6
ThunderMoose
Major
85
Rep
1,183
Posts

Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: League City, TX

iTrader: (0)

For 1-2 track days / yr, I'd go with E9x M3.
Appreciate 1
      12-31-2017, 03:48 PM   #7
KPop
KPop
KPop's Avatar
No_Country
89
Rep
235
Posts

Drives: Horse and Buggy
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: www

iTrader: (0)

I'm a former Z4M owner, current '09 E90 M3 6MT owner (shameless plug: it's currently for sale @22k miles), and have driven the E46 M3

If you're going to use the car as a daily-driver, I would recommend the E90 M3 hands down. It's more comfortable, faster, more refined, and has more tech amenities than the E46 M3.

The E46 M3 is more focused and "raw" but is an older car that may need more maintenance over time. But, if you're not driving it much, then it's probably a wash.

Both cars will hold their own on a track. I haven't tracked my M3, but have driven both E90 M3 and E46 M3 on back mountain roads and the handling was very impressive.

If BMW made an M3 with the E46 chassis and the E9X M3's V8, that would be the one to get! The S65 motor is a masterpiece.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 09:03 AM   #8
94jedi
Resident Old Guy. "I used to bench 315 in my 20's"
23
Rep
91
Posts

Drives: 2008 e90 M3 | 2004 E46 M3
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Thanks for the feedback and input fellas! i should mention that i ended up buying a nice clean e90 m3 in mid December. A few days later, i was offered a very nice e46 m3 by a close friend. honestly, i think my next move is to buy that e46 as well and see which one i prefer. I'll update this thread in a couple of weeks and let you guys know how things shake out.
__________________
Alpinemss Tuned | MS Stage 2 Intake | MS Pulleys | Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 06:10 PM   #9
Dan@AutoTalent
Private
Dan@AutoTalent's Avatar
6
Rep
65
Posts

Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Gardena, CA

iTrader: (0)

Congratulations on the new car! And I'd totally pick the E9x for DD and E46 for more spirited and track usage hands down.
Appreciate 1
      01-07-2018, 01:41 AM   #10
e90dum
Second Lieutenant
28
Rep
267
Posts

Drives: E90 LCI 328i manual
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: East coast US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94jedi View Post
I'm sure this has been done ad nauseam but I'll put it out there again... I'm having trouble deciding between the e46 and the e9x. I want the most bang for the buck, with the least amount of headaches. I might do 1 or 2 track days/ hpde's annually. No smg if i get an e46 but i don't mind the dct in the e9x. Not Gonna lie, i love straight line speed too, after all, it's what we get to use most. So let me know your thoughts, this car will be my dd.

Thanks!
Make sure you drive the SMG if you haven't. I bought my m3 with full intention(and budget) to manual swap it but completely changed my mind after owning it


edit: i'm bad at reading threads
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2018, 01:58 PM   #11
gordon@
Major
gordon@'s Avatar
Canada
143
Rep
1,026
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: LAX/YYZ/HKG

iTrader: (7)

Before I bought my E9x, I desperately looked for a clean E46. But after searching for 2 years without any luck (Toronto area) I gave up. A lot of them have raked up high mileage and pretty beat up without any Subframe reinforcement / VANOS failure prevention. A lot of them also had skipped Inspection II Service, so valve adjustments were due. The things that added up to have the car the way I wanted was just too much. I wasn't THAT attached to the E46 M3, so I ended up with a very clean E92 M3. SMG is cancer by the way, the shifts are terribly slow and the SMG pump is made out of recycled egg cartons just like the HPFP found in the N54.
__________________
DINAN | EVOSPORT | VAC | ARP | RD SPORT
Appreciate 1
      01-28-2018, 10:03 PM   #12
94jedi
Resident Old Guy. "I used to bench 315 in my 20's"
23
Rep
91
Posts

Drives: 2008 e90 M3 | 2004 E46 M3
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

So lets see how this works out... I'll post some thoughts in a few weeks.





And of course, the e90.
__________________
Alpinemss Tuned | MS Stage 2 Intake | MS Pulleys | Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 12:16 PM   #13
sea_c
Registered
0
Rep
1
Posts

Drives: E90
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Beijing

iTrader: (0)

E46 M3 is my dream car ten years ago. I like it. Although I have not driven neither of them....
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2018, 10:34 PM   #14
dat128
Private
1
Rep
66
Posts

Drives: 128i M-sport TiAg / Saab 9-3
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (1)

haivng this dilemma myself. be very interested in findingout what you end up going with
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2018, 10:33 PM   #15
94jedi
Resident Old Guy. "I used to bench 315 in my 20's"
23
Rep
91
Posts

Drives: 2008 e90 M3 | 2004 E46 M3
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat128 View Post
haivng this dilemma myself. be very interested in findingout what you end up going with
I ended up buying both LOL.

So I bought my e90 M3 back in early December, after hounding my best friend to sell to me his Mystic e46 M3 for the past 5 years. He'd told me unequivocally that he was keeping it forever since he bought it brand new back in 2004. When I texted him the pic of my "new to me" 2008 M3, he apologized and said that the e46 was at the shop getting some maintenance done so he could sell it to me!!! Imagine my dilemma lol. Believe it or not, my wife told me to just go ahead and buy it. Use the e46 as the daily, and the e90, which is freaking MINT as the garage queen. So there they are as of January 5th, cohabitating, at least for now. I love them both to tell you the truth. The E90 feels so much more refined, modern and heavier of course, but also so much more powerful. It feels like a muscle car compared to the smaller, lighter more nimble e46. The E46 however is an absolute fucking blast to drive. You simply cannot drive it without smiling. the sound the engine makes is incredible. Rowing the gears is a pleasure. anything beyond 4k rpm and you're going to have a great time lol.

The e90 is simply a beast. It is to be highly respected. Too much fun in the e90 and you're going to jail. It's a rabid snarling beast (especially with all the mods) in sheeps clothing. Look at the pic below...the e90 looks so "ho hum" compared the the e46. The e46 clearly likes to party, while the e90 falls asleep by 9pm...but do not fuck with the e90 as it will put you on the wrong side of a 120mph very very quickly.

Jokes aside, maybe I have the daily driver wrong here. The e46 is a blast to drive around town, plus I keep the miles off my e90 (only 72k on the clock). Perhaps in another life, the e90 would be the daily as its much more comfortable, refined, grown up even. The E46 is probably the better track/weekend car. For now though, I'm enjoying both...dreading the day when my wife says "Pick one".
Attached Images
   
__________________
Alpinemss Tuned | MS Stage 2 Intake | MS Pulleys | Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust

Last edited by 94jedi; 02-10-2018 at 10:48 PM.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2018, 12:40 AM   #16
dat128
Private
1
Rep
66
Posts

Drives: 128i M-sport TiAg / Saab 9-3
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94jedi View Post
I ended up buying both LOL.

So I bought my e90 M3 back in early December, after hounding my best friend to sell to me his Mystic e46 M3 for the past 5 years. He'd told me unequivocally that he was keeping it forever since he bought it brand new back in 2004. When I texted him the pic of my "new to me" 2008 M3, he apologized and said that the e46 was at the shop getting some maintenance done so he could sell it to me!!! Imagine my dilemma lol. Believe it or not, my wife told me to just go ahead and buy it. Use the e46 as the daily, and the e90, which is freaking MINT as the garage queen. So there they are as of January 5th, cohabitating, at least for now. I love them both to tell you the truth. The E90 feels so much more refined, modern and heavier of course, but also so much more powerful. It feels like a muscle car compared to the smaller, lighter more nimble e46. The E46 however is an absolute fucking blast to drive. You simply cannot drive it without smiling. the sound the engine makes is incredible. Rowing the gears is a pleasure. anything beyond 4k rpm and you're going to have a great time lol.

The e90 is simply a beast. It is to be highly respected. Too much fun in the e90 and you're going to jail. It's a rabid snarling beast (especially with all the mods) in sheeps clothing. Look at the pic below...the e90 looks so "ho hum" compared the the e46. The e46 clearly likes to party, while the e90 falls asleep by 9pm...but do not fuck with the e90 as it will put you on the wrong side of a 120mph very very quickly.

Jokes aside, maybe I have the daily driver wrong here. The e46 is a blast to drive around town, plus I keep the miles off my e90 (only 72k on the clock). Perhaps in another life, the e90 would be the daily as its much more comfortable, refined, grown up even. The E46 is probably the better track/weekend car. For now though, I'm enjoying both...dreading the day when my wife says "Pick one".

Thanks for the reply. i was refering to which one you are going to end up keeping haha.

based on your description, i feel that i should go with the e46. or perhaps the true answer is both.

its funny, im looking at s50 swapped e30s as well. god, only if i had resources for all three... i def could swing both e30 and e46 on a nice e90 budget tho, lol.

i was joking around with my buddy of buying a old warehouse to house all the cars between him and i. lol.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:22 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST