BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

02-11-2019, 11:37 AM   #45
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuy902 View Post
I bought

Vac cf driveshaft + GT4 Group N transmission mount (from ECS) for my CAE shifter.

Driveshaft seems to be balanced till 130kph; and anything over that it starts vibrating a lot.
will be fitting back my OEM driveshaft soon.
I think you bought the Driveshaft Shop shaft from VAC that does not use a guibo and tends to vibrate at high speed. I have had 3 of these DSS shafts — the chromoly version — in my E36M3 and all have vibrated above about 100 mph.

Adding stiffer trans mounts at the same time was maybe not a good idea. Stiffer trans mounts often cause vibrations. Much more so than stiffer engine mounts.

The shafts that retain the guibo seem to do well. I have run a Jfiber shaft with guibo in my E90M3 without issue for a couple of years. No vibration as far as I have tested— about 150 mph.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 01:30 AM   #46
kuy902
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: G-power SKII CS e92 M3 (2008)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
I think you bought the Driveshaft Shop shaft from VAC that does not use a guibo and tends to vibrate at high speed. I have had 3 of these DSS shafts — the chromoly version — in my E36M3 and all have vibrated above about 100 mph.

Adding stiffer trans mounts at the same time was maybe not a good idea. Stiffer trans mounts often cause vibrations. Much more so than stiffer engine mounts.

The shafts that retain the guibo seem to do well. I have run a Jfiber shaft with guibo in my E90M3 without issue for a couple of years. No vibration as far as I have tested— about 150 mph.
I took the VAC drive shaft to the local driveshaft balancing shop; it was off by 12grms at one end which was apparnetly ALOT and would cause vibration; ive balanced the driveshaft but the shaft is still in the garage as I have since bought MFactory driveshaft and it has been perfect...

i will keep it as spare CF DS or try it out if i get another e92 m3 as daily..

ive asked VAC for return & refund but they just stopped replying me.. saying "they sell alot of it and never cause an issue"
terrible customer service...
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 08:08 AM   #47
Idfkman
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Has anyone else had any recent experience with the VAC CF driveshaft for DCT?

I'm in the market and would like to avoid the wait time on the MFactory piece. Wondering if VAC or any other reputable options are out there.

Would also consider buying a used piece if someone has one laying around.
      09-14-2021, 08:28 AM   #48
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTSx2/X5M

VAC is the furthest thing from a reputable shop. I wouldn't run their driveshaft if they gave it to me

Absolutely terrible. You might as well try your luck in Alibaba
Appreciate 1
Idfkman473.00
      09-14-2021, 09:56 PM   #49
CamasM3e93
Friends don't let friends ESS
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 Lemans Blue 6mt Harrop e90

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idfkman View Post

I'm in the market and would like to avoid the wait time on the MFactory piece. Wondering if VAC or any other reputable options are out there.

Yeah I'd steer far far clear from VAC. My shop installed VAC rod bearings and the job took 4 days longer because they shipped an obviously damaged bearing. Give me a break
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11403.00
      09-15-2021, 12:41 PM   #50
Idfkman
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamasM3e93 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idfkman View Post

Yeah I'd steer far far clear from VAC. My shop installed VAC rod bearings and the job took 4 days longer because they shipped an obviously damaged bearing. Give me a break
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
VAC is the furthest thing from a reputable shop. I wouldn't run their driveshaft if they gave it to me

Absolutely terrible. You might as well try your luck in Alibaba

Sheesh, glad I asked before buying lol. Is Mfactory pretty much the only reputable option at this point?

I saw an aluminum diff (from legitgarage(?) which sounds illegitimate if anything) but couldn't find any reviews or additional info.
      09-15-2021, 01:21 PM   #51
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

VAC confuses the hell out of me. There are clearly a few cars out there they've touched that are quite fast and some people who swear by them. I wonder if they had one of those "got too big too fast" stories. Plenty of great local/regional performance shops have gone through this painful process over the years, and not many have made it all the way to being a respected national name

My YCW driveshaft is now 2 years and 20,000 miles or so old and I forget I have it. I think I'd notice if somebody stole it and the car suddenly started having a ton of windup in the powertrain again, lol