BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

02-11-2011, 09:10 PM   #23
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

^^you can easily buy them on MFEST.com from chris (the owner aka laidback) there like 50 bucks i think

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 09:46 PM   #24
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Tow hook plate bracket

I resisted a front plate for years but between parking tickets (Portland parking patrol is now trained to cite this) and getting stopped I gave in and put on the GoMiniGo "No Holes" LPB ($65 a year ago). It's a nice unit, but not quick release. That being said, I don't know why I'd take the plate off now except for a car show or the track. It's kind of a nice feeling not having to worry about attracting the wrong kind of attention, and I like the fact it doesn't obscure the center part of the front end.
Attached Images

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450

Last edited by GregW / Oregon; 02-12-2011 at 11:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 10:17 PM   #25
calintexas
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

A Bit More Than $50.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
^^you can easily buy them on MFEST.com from chris (the owner aka laidback) there like 50 bucks i think
I was just at the MFest sale page. The price is $179.

http://www.mfestforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8388
      02-11-2011, 10:31 PM   #26
GOLFFRR
Rep

wow!! are you serious they went up!

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2011, 10:39 PM   #27
calintexas
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
wow!! are you serious they went up!
I recall that they were fairly expensive even at the initial group buy price. It's the GoMiniGo brkt that's in the $50 to $70 range.
      02-11-2011, 10:42 PM   #28
GOLFFRR
Rep

^^ gotcha

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 11:13 AM   #29
Meff
smiling amid the chaos...
Rep
Drives: Erratically

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
I resisted a front plate for years but between parking tickets and getting stopped I gave in and put on the Gominigo one. It's a nice unit, but not quick release. That being said, I don't know why I'd take the plate off now except for a car show or the track. It's kind of a nice feeling not having to worry about attracting the wrong kind of attention.
True on the attention - guys in my area have mixed stories about how the lack of a front plate is treated by the PD - $150 fine if they decide to be by the book on it.

I need to have a front plate for Nexus use, but otherwise it will sit in my trunk in waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by calintexas View Post
I was just at the MFest sale page. The price is $179.

http://www.mfestforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8388
Yes I saw that $179 + shipping + I'm not in the US so I have to pay brokerage on top. Price seems a bit steep although the reviews and the quality seem to be top notch.

What to do, what to do..... my frugal gene is kicking in
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 02:18 PM   #30
sensi09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: .

No reason to spend $179 on that....really overpriced IMO.

Just do the gominigo or rhoplate for $60 http://www.rhoplate.com/index.html

If you want to spend more, the swift motorized is $150 http://www.swiftmotorsports.com/prod...fd64d2e2073262
They also have a manual hide-away version for $60.

Last edited by sensi09; 02-12-2011 at 03:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2011, 02:55 PM   #31
UsurbrainM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90 M3

Interesting, I'm going to have to pick one of these up...
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 07:18 PM   #32
Meff
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensi09 View Post

If you want to spend more, the swift motorized is $150 http://www.swiftmotorsports.com/prod...fd64d2e2073262
Thanks for the info -

I have a Rhoplate dealer near me I'm checking one out on Monday
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2011, 08:46 PM   #33
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

In Germany, those of us who didn't want to drill holes in our bumpers would pre-curve the plate and mount direct on the bumper with two-sided tape (type with foam core between the adhesive). Works great, comes off without any mess. I would use the outer diameter of a tire to pre-curve the plate. If you don't first make the plate to the exact curve, it won't stick properly. Some would first put a clear bra material on the area, then stick the plate to that. I never found that necessary. In any case, I'd rather have the plate in the center. To each his own. Below is my plate mounted. Once removed, you could not tell a plate had ever been there. I used Griot's adhesive remover to make the job easier, after I used waxed dental floss to free the plate.
Attached Images

02-13-2011, 08:54 PM   #34
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensi09 View Post

I just ordered the rhoplate, thanks. I really hate paying both the BMW and M tax for these kinda shit.
      02-15-2011, 12:47 AM   #35
ChrisAW
Rear Admiral
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by erhanh View Post
I just ordered the rhoplate, thanks. I really hate paying both the BMW and M tax for these kinda shit.
I just bought one too. The local PD has been giving me the stink eye for not having a front plate. Its only a matter of time.
      02-15-2011, 08:50 PM   #36
Meff
Rep

Picked up the Rho-Plate today. Have not installed it yet, but will post pics when I do.

At first glance, it appears that one feature it has that I am not sure others have is much greater adjustment of the plate angle? Don't know if you can see it but the end of the aluminum spindle is concave. When mounted to the back of one of the convex attachment points on the plate holder (opposite side of what is visible in pic) it can be adjusted to ensure the angle suits where you mount/like it. The rubber stoppers are to be mounted on the back of the plate where any pressure would have the plate hit the bumper.

They claim 15 different potential mounting locations - I'll get out my abacus during the install and report back on that.

In theory it makes sense - will let you know how it pans out after install.
Attached Images

Last edited by Meff; 02-15-2011 at 09:18 PM.. Reason: clarity
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 09:03 PM   #37
JIO
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 Space Gray E92 M3 w/DCT

So my question is that if you are going to mount a front plate, or have to mount a plate, and leave the plate on semi-permanent, why not just drill the holes and mount it in the center. I don't run a front plate on mine and have no plans to do so. If it comes to the time where the tickets run me too much and I'm forced to run a front plate, I'll mount mine in the center. The car looks too goofy for me to mount it off-center through the tow hook area. It's either no plate ever, or permanent plate in the center with holes in the bumper. No off-center/temporary ground. so far no tickets for no front plate in over 20 years. I never screw around on the street to give the cops an excuse to nail me for no plate.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 09:15 PM   #38
Meff
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIO View Post
So my question is that if you are going to mount a front plate, or have to mount a plate, and leave the plate on semi-permanent, why not just drill the holes and mount it in the center. I don't run a front plate on mine and have no plans to do so. If it comes to the time where the tickets run me too much and I'm forced to run a front plate, I'll mount mine in the center. The car looks too goofy for me to mount it off-center through the tow hook area. It's either no plate ever, or permanent plate in the center with holes in the bumper. No off-center/temporary ground. so far no tickets for no front plate in over 20 years. I never screw around on the street to give the cops an excuse to nail me for no plate.
I'm not going to mount the plate permanently. This plate will be in the trunk for me 95% of the time and only be used for me going through Nexus (border pass) and if I get pulled over, I can say I have it in the trunk and forgot to put it back on after wash/detail/pics, etc.

If I get a ticket ($107) then so be it, it's the cost of owning the car. If I cross the threshold of being able to tolerate too many tickets, I'll install it permanently.

See? Perfectly logical
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 01:23 PM   #39
Meff
Rep

Installed the Rho-plate today - pics below

Very simple install, about 10 minutes

Side view - there is a lot of adjustment available to get the correct angle as noted above

I installed the rubber stops (included in kit) to protect against any pressure forcing the plate in to the bumper. This (poor) pic shows a top view, and you can see the rounded black half circles behind the plate.

The drawback is that it is not a simple quick disconnect, but it's also 1/3 of the cost of the MFest one. To remove, you have to take off the plate to remove the screw in the front of the spindle. You could fit a 3/4" wrench in behind and unscrew the spindle to remove the entire kit, but you'll have to be very careful when rotating to insure the plate does not rub/scratch the bumper.

As soon as I had finished the install, I immediately removed it and put in in the trunk of course.

Good kit at a good price
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 02:35 PM   #40
stevenross
General
Rep
Drives: a ride

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
2008 BMW X5 3.Slow  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo_guy View Post
is this what you mean?

http://www.mfestforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7763

only one spot left for the group buy.
i really like this one.. i am so pissed, i had the rho plate and it got loose and spun and ended up nicking the bumper, once loose it was a real pain to get off of the car.. go with this product
'08 X5 3.Slow / Saphire Black Metallic on Black - Retained
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 03:27 AM   #41
MN-M3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3

This looks awesome, as I am getting a new M3 soon, I was reading one of the reviews on Mfest, what is a PDC sensor? Will the plate location interfere with it at all, or is the sensor only on some cars? Thanks in advance and forgive my ignorance.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 09:36 AM   #42
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meff View Post
Installed the Rho-plate today - pics below

Very simple install, about 10 minutes
Can't really say from the picture, did you use the middle mounting point? I didn't like the middle point so I used the one on the edge such that the license plate is further away from the curve of the bumper.

I have an idea to make the removal process quicker but not sure if it will be legal. The problem is the license plate is in front of the screw that attached the back-plate to the towhook base. So if you cut a hole on the license plate and get an access to that small screw, than you don't have to remove the license plate Any ideas if it would be illegal to put a hole on license plate?

Just un-do the small screw to remove the back-plate, and then remove the tow hook attachement and done.
      03-01-2011, 10:15 AM   #43
BBCar
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: RDX

umm..quick question, has anyone ever had one of these stolen? considering how they're quick release..i presume they're quick stolen too.

I understand most keep this in the trunk 95% of the time, but what about that 5%?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 10:37 AM   #44
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by erhanh View Post
I have an idea to make the removal process quicker but not sure if it will be legal. The problem is the license plate is in front of the screw that attached the back-plate to the towhook base. So if you cut a hole on the license plate and get an access to that small screw, than you don't have to remove the license plate Any ideas if it would be illegal to put a hole on license plate?
Shuldn't be illegal as long as it doesn't effect legibility, but might look kind of wierd.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0