BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

12-28-2013, 10:59 PM   #67
Koldun
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWe90 View Post
Oh and I should also clarify....the car will not be tracked, my daily commute does not involve heavy traffic, and my wife knows how to drive MT.
I'd get the manual then.

My M3 is a DCT and I love it. My future F80 M3 will be a manual.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 01:40 AM   #68
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigy
DCT FTMFW

Super quick shifts, love the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts that chirp the back tires, blipping downshifts are fantastic.

Also nice to occasionally pop it in auto.

Plus you're getting a pretty expensive option for not much more money.
I drive 6mt and have decent super fast shifts (lol), chirping of tires and blipping on downshifts (that sound even better because it takes a bit longer and some foot exercise while youre at it).
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 01:41 AM   #69
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koldun
Quote:
Oh and I should also clarify....the car will not be tracked, my daily commute does not involve heavy traffic, and my wife knows how to drive MT.
I'd get the manual then.

My M3 is a DCT and I love it. My future F80 M3 will be a manual.
Im backwards lol. Its 6mt now and sedan. The next one will be coupe and dct. Best of both of both.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 09:58 AM   #70
///WeissBisBlau
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘21 M5C

Quote:
Wow....4 pages of replies in just a few hours!! Thanks to all of you for the input. Guess I have some driving to do ;-)
Quote:
Yeah, definitely just need to drive each--possibly more than once. It sounds like you might already be leaning 6MT. no harm, no foul. We'll still let ya post here!

As a DCT owner, I do have to say that all that complex high-performing machinery magic in there DOES concern me a little, from a reliability standpoint. I've no doubt it's expensive, so if and when I keep my baby after warranty, every little knock and grind down there is probably going to sound a little louder and more concerning. And BTW, it IS loud sometimes. Sitting at a stop light for a few seconds, when all of a sudden, THUNK! "What the hell was that? What's it doing?" I have no idea why it does that. It's just a cacophony of strange sounds sometimes, that you don't understand--like some of the things that you hear during a plane flight, where you're like "what the hell..."

Another thing about my DCT is that sometimes it does not shift between reverse and 1 very smoothly. Takes a few seconds. That is really just an annoyance, though. Normal (forward) driving gear changes are fast and smooth--like you're playing Gran Turismo.

Good luck! I really don't think you can go wrong, as this is primarily a matter of preference.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 11:19 AM   #71
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

So here's a response from someone who owns BOTH a manual transmission car and a dual clutch transmission car, not one or the other. My M3 is a manual and my S6 is a dual clutch.

The DCT is clearly the superior performing product from an objective standpoint. Perfect shifts every time. Rev matched downshifts every time. Lightening fast. Can quickly blast up or down through multiple gears. Definitely the transmission of choice for the fastest track times, as well as for use in traffic and commuting.

However......it is, ultimately, just an automatic. If you enjoy the process of using a clutch and shifter and if this is a big part of yor enjoyment of driving, then DCT will bore you after the novelty has worn off.

There is just no question question that a proper maunal gives you a connection with your engine that the DCT does not.

In the end, if your M3 is going to be an only car, I would get the DCT, because the practical aspects and better performance take priority. If it is going to be a second car, or toy, and you have another practical transport vehicle, get the proper manual for the more fun experience.

Until I owned a dual clutch car, I found myself questioning whether or not I should have bought a DCT M3. Now that I have a dual clutch car, I am very glad my M3 is a proper manual.
      12-29-2013, 11:28 AM   #72
Someone?
Perception is King
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///WeissBlitz76 View Post
Yeah, definitely just need to drive each--possibly more than once. It sounds like you might already be leaning 6MT. no harm, no foul. We'll still let ya post here!

As a DCT owner, I do have to say that all that complex high-performing machinery magic in there DOES concern me a little, from a reliability standpoint. I've no doubt it's expensive, so if and when I keep my baby after warranty, every little knock and grind down there is probably going to sound a little louder and more concerning. And BTW, it IS loud sometimes. Sitting at a stop light for a few seconds, when all of a sudden, THUNK! "What the hell was that? What's it doing?" I have no idea why it does that. It's just a cacophony of strange sounds sometimes, that you don't understand--like some of the things that you hear during a plane flight, where you're like "what the hell..."

Another thing about my DCT is that sometimes it does not shift between reverse and 1 very smoothly. Takes a few seconds. That is really just an annoyance, though. Normal (forward) driving gear changes are fast and smooth--like you're playing Gran Turismo.

Good luck! I really don't think you can go wrong, as this is primarily a matter of preference.
Sounds like you need a BPM DCT tune!
      12-29-2013, 01:04 PM   #73
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Quote:

i kind of like those noises. its a mechanical. adds to the race car feel.

i will also agree. DCT would worry some out of warranty. although maybe this is just me. but got my M3 new, and spending that kind of money. if i want DCT i should get it. and shouldnt have to worry for a long time.

if i was buying used with high miles, then its a different story.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 01:24 PM   #74
Koldun
Banned
Rep

Quote:
You, sir, need to pony up the $60 for GTS DCT software. It not only gets rid of those little delays, it changes the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 01:38 PM   #75
MFL
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [9.00]
I've owned both.

I bought my 2011 as a 6MT simply because it's a car I considered keeping for a LONG time.
I went with DCT when that car was totaled.

6MT is more fun. Hands down.
DCT is more practical. Hands down.

Being able to throw it in drive and not worry about anyone burning through your clutch is awesome. Technically its faster as well due to the quick shifts. Commuting is MUCH more comfortable and less cumbersome as well with DCT.

Solution:
Daily DCT Sedan
Weekend 6MT ZCP or GT3.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 01:42 PM   #76
Koldun
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
Im backwards lol. Its 6mt now and sedan. The next one will be coupe and dct. Best of both of both.
Well, at that point the E92 will be oriented a lot more for the track and I'll probably slap a low boost intercooled supercharger on it, so the DCT will put its fair share of work in. The F80 (or whatever code the GC/GT will have) will be the fun daily driver. I don't deal with traffic on a daily basia either.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 04:56 PM   #77
Candide13
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3 ZCP 6MT AW/FR

Quote:
As you will be buying a used car there are many other variables from car to car to consider, so if you can envisage enjoying both DCT and 6MT then you might want to put this question on the back-burner and optimize over the other variables!

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 05:10 PM   #78
Lorde
Ya ya ya, I am Lorde, ya ya!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, 2015 SQ5

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibmike
Well this wont go well, BUT listen to me please, You've probably had a stick shift car before, but if you've never had a DCT before you gots to get one there awesome.

Trust me there Great.
Trust me "there" great.

Says it all.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 05:45 PM   #79
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koldun
Quote:
Well, at that point the E92 will be oriented a lot more for the track and I'll probably slap a low boost intercooled supercharger on it, so the DCT will put its fair share of work in. The F80 (or whatever code the GC/GT will have) will be the fun daily driver. I don't deal with traffic on a daily basia either.
Me too. So i will have a more prepared track car in manual. And then a daily i can also play with on the track with dct when i just want some lazy high speed fun!!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 06:05 PM   #80
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I have the 6MT. My next car, whether BMW, Audi or Porsche, will be DCT. Nothing wrong with the 6MT, though, and shifting gears does give you something to do.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 06:08 PM   #81
quicktwinturbo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Limited Ed Toyota Camry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koldun View Post
You, sir, need to pony up the $60 for GTS DCT software. It not only gets rid of those little delays, it changes the car.
Where can I get that upgrade for $60
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 06:19 PM   #82
Koldun
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicktwinturbo View Post
Where can I get that upgrade for $60
Alex@alpine. I guess it's technically $120, since it's part of a package deal with coding. So $60 for coding and $60 for DCT software. Some vendors will charge over $1000 for those two things.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 06:27 PM   #83
quicktwinturbo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Limited Ed Toyota Camry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koldun View Post
Alex@alpine. I guess it's technically $120, since it's part of a package deal with coding. So $60 for coding and $60 for DCT software. Some vendors will charge over $1000 for those two things.
Thanks man! $120 sounds like a heck of deal!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 07:45 AM   #84
JoeKixxon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Sakhir Orange on Black

Quote:
Awesome! Same here. Good times.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 08:30 AM   #85
SilentAttack
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 Jerez Black 6MT

6MT you can't go wrong. I'm sure DCT is cool in its own way but it's still auto.
      12-30-2013, 10:00 AM   #86
Craigy
Sporty Puristic 6
Rep
Drives: '09 M3

Quote:
I drive 6mt and have decent super fast shifts (lol), chirping of tires and blipping on downshifts (that sound even better because it takes a bit longer and some foot exercise while youre at it).
Haha yeah mainly pointing it out since it was surprising to me. I almost expected a DCT to be a pretty weenie transmission when it came to shift ferocity on the upshifts. No drama is lost on the paddle shifts.

But no matter how fast your shifts are THEY AREN'T AS FAST AS MINE.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 10:08 AM   #87
Craigy
Sporty Puristic 6
Rep
Drives: '09 M3

Quote:
I am hoping to join the ranks as an ///M owner within the next 6-8 months. I am very excited to say the least, but I am also very conflicted as to which transmission I should go with. I've always driven and enjoyed manuals, but I also realize the DCT is pretty amazing. One big factor here is the fact that shopping for both types gives me many more options in terms of color, price, mileage, etc.

Understanding the M3 is a special car, I am curious as to which people prefer, particularly those who have owned and/or driven both.

Any input is appreciated....
Cheers.
Honestly if you're just considering the DCT because it's easier to shop for both transmissions, then you need to just look for a stick.

But if you're considering a DCT because you think you might enjoy it, then absolutely get the DCT.

Also you need to bump up your timeline to now on the purchase instead of this 6-8 mos garbage
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 12:27 PM   #88
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigy
Quote:
Haha yeah mainly pointing it out since it was surprising to me. I almost expected a DCT to be a pretty weenie transmission when it came to shift ferocity on the upshifts. No drama is lost on the paddle shifts.

But no matter how fast your shifts are THEY AREN'T AS FAST AS MINE.

True. Maybe i need an extra short shift kit lol.
Appreciate 0