BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

07-26-2007, 02:15 AM   #1
I'm takin' the day off.
South Africa
Rep
Drives: M

Egmont Sippel drives BMW's new M3

http://www.wheels24.co.za/Wheels24/N...153749,00.html
      07-26-2007, 03:24 AM   #2
Phoenix 21st
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 M-dct SG

nice review!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2007, 03:31 AM   #3
x5love
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335i

sure made me smile!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2007, 04:52 AM   #4
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Dakar Yellow M3, 2018 M5

his take on the exhaust note is a divergence from the other articles i've read, where they say that the exhaust note starts timid an increases in ferocity to a shrieking wail near the redline. instead he characterizes it as an unchanging note throughout most of the range.

also, his writing style is horrible.

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
[Vorsteiner Boot] [Challenge Race Diffuser] [See the Build Thread HERE]
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2007, 04:55 AM   #5
m_bazeepaymon
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

I felt like he was talking to me lol

ZzZzZ'er
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2007, 06:35 AM   #6
Garrett
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_bazeepaymon View Post
I felt like he was talking to me lol
That dude has some writing talent..!!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2007, 08:17 AM   #7
cncmastr
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 Cecotto, F85, G05, G07,

Garage List
2018 X5 M  [0.00]
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2005 BMW X5 4.8is  [0.00]
2006 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
That dude has some writing talent..!!
Except when it called it a beemer...
      07-26-2007, 08:21 AM   #8
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep
Drives: 02 Maxima SE

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
I'm not sure I really gained much from reading that.
      07-26-2007, 08:44 AM   #9
v1p3r
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 320d M-Sport EBII

I read his reviews every week in our Afrikaans Sunday newspaper in South Africa.

He does have a style like an author...

I pick up a slight bit of anti-BMW bias in favour of the 4 rings and three pointed star sometimes, citing petty things as problems when the overall dynamic and package is clearly superior and better value for money...

Like when he can't find much to moan about he still has to sneak something negative in and then play it down again: "That's a road rather than car dependant feature, of course. "...i mean come on

Like epacy said it's hard to get something from the review, and i agree with esquire's post RE the engine note too

What I don't like is that fact that people criticize the ///M3 interior while the RS4 dash is clearly more dated and blandly styled (as can be seen in the square dash pics in the EVO mag pics). While i concede the ///M car has little to distinguish it from the normal Coupes it is hardly ugly.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2007, 09:25 AM   #10
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
What I don't like is that fact that people criticize the ///M3 interior while the RS4 dash is clearly more dated and blandly styled (as can be seen in the square dash pics in the EVO mag pics). While i concede the ///M car has little to distinguish it from the normal Coupes it is hardly ugly.
People seem to be easily taken with a few bright silvery bits of trim and a flashy, square bottom steering wheel. We just sold an A4, I don't get it, it felt so cramped inside, the center console hit your knee and there are switches for the sake of switches. It was a good interior but truly looked one generation old compared to the new A6 and our X5.

I bet if BMW would have taken the low road and added some superficial silver hootis, a glitzier steering wheel and racier seats these comments would have been silenced.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2007, 09:51 AM   #11
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolidated View Post
People seem to be easily taken with a few bright silvery bits of trim and a flashy, square bottom steering wheel. We just sold an A4, I don't get it, it felt so cramped inside, the center console hit your knee and there are switches for the sake of switches. It was a good interior but truly looked one generation old compared to the new A6 and our X5.

I bet if BMW would have taken the low road and added some superficial silver hootis, a glitzier steering wheel and racier seats these comments would have been silenced.
I wouldn't say A4 interior's are necessarily any better than 3-series interiors, but I wouldn't say the new 3-series interiors are anything special either. I actually prefer BMW's somewhat minimalist approach compared to the bells and whistles Audi approach, but I really don't know what went wrong in BMWs industrial design studio with the recent redesigns across all product lines (I find the Z4 interior to be the only exception in the sedan/coupe lineup). A few years ago, the BMW chief designer was being pressed on this issue in a magazine interview, and he simply dismissed it all by claiming that they are so far ahead that people don't get it and it will take time. Yeah, right, when facing valid concerns, just say the public's tastes haven't caught up to your superior aesthetics. What a dumb statement to make for a car designer. It's been years, and people are still voicing the same concerns; so much for the we are ahead of the times rationale. Or, maybe people will start falling in love with the current BMW interiors in 20 years, and these cars will be worth their weight in gold. Having said all this, current BMW interiors are not unattractive spaces, but they definitely are not inspiring--at least not to me—and one expects more, or actually, better, for what one is paying for.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2007, 09:58 AM   #12
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

Keep in mind that a car review is an opinion from an imperfect man or woman that most likely keeps a bias for a certain brand or nationality (erm Jeremy Clarkson) and has a certain amount of expectations for what he/she likes.

None the less, this review was awesome. Hits on points the BMW always struggles with and gold stars where most of us really want them. My favorite quote....

This car, this animal, this beast, is alive and well and living right on top of the performance-&-pleasure heap. New M3 is the oversteer, tail-happy king of unadulterated, flat-out, feel-good fun. As a ferocious monster backed-up by delicate, subtle and pliable dynamics, there is nothing to beat it.
      07-26-2007, 10:13 AM   #13
nusevad
O! So Sour!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast 240z / Slow M3

Garage List
1971 Datsun 240z  [0.00]
2008 M3  [9.60]
nice review, glad to see more positive ones.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2007, 10:22 AM   #14
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

I'd say a good, but not glowing review. With all the electronic gimmicks, it just confirms that the M3 has moved into the realm a GT Cruiser. Not necessarly bad, but once you start paying that kind of money, there's more competition than just Audi.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2007, 11:10 AM   #15
Garrett
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
I wouldn't say A4 interior's are necessarily any better than 3-series interiors, but I wouldn't say the new 3-series interiors are anything special either. I actually prefer BMW's somewhat minimalist approach compared to the bells and whistles Audi approach, but I really don't know what went wrong in BMWs industrial design studio with the recent redesigns across all product lines (I find the Z4 interior to be the only exception in the sedan/coupe lineup). A few years ago, the BMW chief designer was being pressed on this issue in a magazine interview, and he simply dismissed it all by claiming that they are so far ahead that people don't get it and it will take time. Yeah, right, when facing valid concerns, just say the public's tastes haven't caught up to your superior aesthetics. What a dumb statement to make for a car designer. It's been years, and people are still voicing the same concerns; so much for the we are ahead of the times rationale. Or, maybe people will start falling in love with the current BMW interiors in 20 years, and these cars will be worth their weight in gold. Having said all this, current BMW interiors are not unattractive spaces, but they definitely are not inspiring--at least not to me—and one expects more, or actually, better, for what one is paying for.

BMW style is what I dislike. The textures and meterials are great along with the seats and instruments. But....

...those are all pretty much superficial compared to why BMW removed their driver-centric design (e30 e46) of having the interior face the driver. The radio and climate control buttons where all slightly slanted in your direction. The passenger, was just that... a passanger! This new Worl Cup sailboat interior with the Sails themselves being woven into every curve of the new e90's interior....sucks. Not only does the front dash NOT encompass the driver, it gives an glasshouse feel to the cabin. Like I am on a porch swing!

Uninspiring at best...!

-Garrett
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2007, 11:14 AM   #16
The CSL
For the love of ///M3
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Peugeot 306 XSI 16v

The interior looks much better without the seperate iDrive screen, imo. Sadly UK drivers won't be given the choice.
      07-26-2007, 11:43 AM   #17
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The CSL View Post
The interior looks much better without the seperate iDrive screen, imo. Sadly UK drivers won't be given the choice.
I would like to have that problem.
      07-26-2007, 12:27 PM   #18
The CSL
For the love of ///M3
United Kingdom
Rep

Problem of what? We're beiing given standard iDrive.

Whereas it should be a no-cost option, so those who want it can have it anyway.
      07-26-2007, 12:54 PM   #19
nechronics
Lieutenant
Syria
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epacy View Post
I would like to have that problem.
agreed...and I don't see why people think the idrive screen is so ugly. It certainly would look more cohesive and unintrusive if it was somehow integrated into the dash like Audi's rather than bulging out the top...but without it the interior looks more bland and drab than it already seems.

I wish it came standard in my car too.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2007, 12:55 PM   #20
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
I don't like the Audi's. You have to look a good bit down to find it.
      07-26-2007, 02:47 PM   #21
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
BMW style is what I dislike. The textures and meterials are great along with the seats and instruments. But....

...those are all pretty much superficial compared to why BMW removed their driver-centric design (e30 e46) of having the interior face the driver. The radio and climate control buttons where all slightly slanted in your direction. The passenger, was just that... a passanger! This new Worl Cup sailboat interior with the Sails themselves being woven into every curve of the new e90's interior....sucks. Not only does the front dash NOT encompass the driver, it gives an glasshouse feel to the cabin. Like I am on a porch swing!

Uninspiring at best...!

-Garrett
Agreed that the quality of materials is not the issue. Also agreed that the e30 and e46 designs had much more of a clear intent and purpose. See below the E30 M3 dash/interior--one of the most purposeful and clean dashes/interiors ever designed in my opinion. And, most will find this a bit of a stretch, but it actually hinges on the traditional German take on minimalistic aesthetic and functionality that goes all the way back to German machine design of the 30s and 40s, which, unfortunately, was highly focused on military equipment at the time (as an example I am posting the cockpit of a Focke Wolf 190, one of the most effective fighter planes of that era--check out the resemblance between the two geometries and use of straight strong lines as opposed to the meaningless curved surfaces of the E9x that do nothing but confuse you and indeed give you the feeling you are on a boat!) That approach seems all lost in the E9x lineup...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2007, 05:48 PM   #22
The CSL
For the love of ///M3
United Kingdom
Rep

I'd say the E36 dash is even more purposeful, not having superfluous clutter on the centre console as opposed to all those buttons in one area on that E30.